Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I believe it was supposed to be a little bit faster for Linux users because they switched compilers but the big speed/memory increases are for 7 and 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
7 is now Beta and 8 is Aurora now btw.

So far the biggest change I see in 8 (although this may had existed in nightly) is that on the first start it gives you a window where you can disable 3rd forced plugins and the Aurora button is blue.

I blew out my profile as I was having freezes so I can't really tell if it really is faster than 7 was but it certainly feels like it. BTW, if you experience similar and use Lastpass disable it and use the xpi version instead. Seems to be due to a bug that only happens on x64 systems per a blog post I ran into. https://lastpass.com/lp_no_bin.xpi

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Neu posted:

don't they basically list this everytime, but yet firefox still uses a huge amount of memory?

I love firefox but it seems they put that into every release but it never gets THAT much better.

A lot of what they were doing before was tweaking cache settings, or claiming that things were fixed but they weren't under conditions that users actually use the program under. They at least seem to be more serious about it this time. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Fapos posted:

About the fonts, I had a little look around since they had changed again going from beta to aurora with hardware accelleration on and found gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode in about :config has a few options you can try:

-1 - Firefox default
0 - Default
1 - Aliased
2 - GDI Classic
3 - GDI Natural
4 - Natural
5 - Natural Symmetric

Mine was set to -1 but some characters look really weird, like "7" is really wide. I found 0 to be the best looking.

Adding to this slightly this is what each number means.

Default: automatically, based on the font and size
Aliased: no anti-aliasing
GDI Classic: glyphs can only be positioned on whole-pixel boundaries
GDI Natural: same as GDI Classic, but metrics are closer to ideal
Natural: anti-aliasing in the horizontal dimension only
Natural Symmetric: anti-aliasing in both horizontal and vertical dimensions
Outline: bypass the rasterizer and use the outlines directly

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

A direct link to what MS Spy was talking about. Install restart choose what you want to use and restart again and you are good. It's the only reason I use Aurora currently.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Any idea when the merge is going to take place? I thought it was yesterday but I haven't seen a update yet.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Fangs404 posted:

Go to Help -> About, and FF will update.

The merge I was talking about was when 8 is promoted to beta, 9 to Aurora and so forth. It hasn't hit auto update yet but they finally did it this afternoon. I just got so used to the daily updates with Aurora it was freaking me out that it hadn't happened over the last 3 days or so.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

TwoKnives posted:

When are we likely to see the Chrome-like UI changes appear in the nightlies, or were those mock-ups just ideas that won't necessarily be implemented?

It's in the 10 UX builds which are different than the 10 nightly. http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25064-firefox_ux

I believe this is nightly spot, but I'm not for sure as I'm not running it currently. I do know they are purposely doing it as it's likely to be unstable, even over the normal nightly. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-ux/

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

pokecapn posted:

You don't need separate processes to do that, firefox's UI thread just likes to lock up.

It still may the final frontier that they can work on to improve speed however. The lockup wouldn't be an issue if Firefox loaded the nsfw link above as fast as Chrome does. On my system it can sometimes be a 3-5 second difference on loading that page.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Well, as long as you are ok with losing desktop composition support in 7 go ahead, but that's off topic. I figure they will end 3.6 support when 10 is ready, so I wouldn't get too comfortable just yet

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The biggest issue is that despite all the work they have done, most of it is so slight that most people didn't see the difference. Every update we kind of go through the same thing "What did they change? it's still slow!" if the engineers can be moved to something that people will notice, at least for a while then maybe the ideas that the only thing Firefox is doing is tweaks to catch the number up to the competition will finally die down.

Electrolysis biggest issue was that the only way the average person could see the differences was via benchmarks or checking memory, one that means nothing and the other people don't do correctly so they are still going to call Firefox bloated. If one of the side projects they can work on can mask the pauses and stutters that occur (which is similar to how other browsers deal with them) then I'm all for it. You can fix it in a way that will last later but for right now we need to deal with the problem visually.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Nice. Didn't know there is some level of support in Aurora. I figured that I would have to wait until 10 filtered down, Triggered it and so far it's all good.

To point out something that's in the comments that people who are running Add-on Compatibility Reporter should see.

quote:

Folks running the Add-on Compatibility Reporter need to do this to test:
1. In Add-ons manager – extensions, click the “Enable” compatibility checking link at the top,
2. Disable the Add-on Compatibility Reporter to prevent it from disabling compatibility checking at the next startup.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I just go to ninite and create a exe with the top plugins like foxit, flash, java, etc and save it somewhere and make a scheduled task that runs it every week.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Selavi posted:

I just connected a new D-Link WIFI router to my computer, and now whenever I type a single word into the url bar, instead of searching Google, it takes me to the D-link error page. I tried going into about :config, but I think it is a router thing. How can I get my search back?

Disable advance DNS service in WAN settings.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

TOOT BOOT posted:

They've been talking about improving performance for a very long time time now without much to show for it other than on paper. Arewefastyet.com was registered two *years* ago, and the browser still feels slow compared to Safari, Opera, Chrome, even recent versions of IE.

As for adding a new tab soon, that's good, but adding a feature several years after every other browser is setting the bar pretty low. That's about how long it took Microsoft to add tabbed browsing after everyone else did it.

It's not Chrome fast yet, but in the last couple of days Aurora is considerably faster in the one place I can still see it as slow (mfc). As Alereon mentioned they are trying to work on improving how it feels, but in reality it's a lot faster than what people want to give it credit for.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Yep, they did do something a few versions ago that helps it exit quicker to prevent that prompt from coming up so it shouldn't happen as much as it used to. However, if you still are having it you either have a low memory system where it's taking time to clear swap, or you need a new profile.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Cool that you fixed it, but it still is probably the perfect time to try a new profile, at least just to test out the new feature in about:support Just make sure to copy the settings to the clipboard first, in case you don't remember all the plugins or about:config tweaks you've done. At least when I did it, it seems to speed things up a bit, probably because I had a lot of extensions.checkcompatibility settings all the way back to 3.6

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
This sounds like similar issues I was having with javascript before I made a new profile and started anew. I'm going to say that a new profile is probably the first thing you should do if you are having a issue.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
12 is now out. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-12.0&os=win&lang=en-US

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I'm still getting 12 through the link. The official date is tomorrow anyways, so if you are still getting 11 wait.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Those always seem to take a couple of days. If I'm recalling correctly the other platforms didn't shift over until 3-4 days later last time.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
The new download interface is in 14 Aurora, but is disabled by default. Go into about:config and change 'browser.download.use.ToolkitUI' to false to enable it.

Incremental Garbage Collector is there as well and can be enabled by setting 'javascript.options.mem.gc_incremental' to true. I would use some caution with it however, as I ran into a couple of posts at various places that stated that it hurt performance, although I haven't noticed a problem. As usual, not my fault if your break something.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Just in case someone runs into it, Xmarks is broken in 14, it will keep saying that the bookmark file is corrupted. They don't support anything but the official version but stated that they will have something ready to support 14 properly in a couple of weeks.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So what does this actually reimport? I'm assuming it does passwords, bookmarks and settings, but does it restore all your extensions, their settings, and any about :config changes?

I realise extensions and about :config changes are the problem half the time.

cookies, saved form history, saved passwords, bookmarks and it's backup. the about :config changes are listed, along with your plugins, so if you want to put some of them back hit the copy to clipboard option and save it to a text file before you try it.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been using Aurora for a good while - version 14, the current version (until later this week, anyway), is pretty nice regarding UI responsiveness. With a few minor about :config tweaks, Firefox runs pretty nice these days.

If you're like me and like to restore the tabs from previous sessions, try adding the following as an integer value and set it to 0 - browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs

Basically, when you restore a session, it only loads one previously-used tab - the rest are in the background but they only use the cached page title. They load when you click on them individually.

I'm curious what tweaks you are using, just in case one is something interesting.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aside from the previous tweak I mentioned, I generally only use the following in about :config:

plugins.click_to_play - true (I think this is an option from Firefox 14 onwards) Anything like Flash, Java, Silverlight etc. shows up in a greyed-out box and needs clicked to be activated. Can have security benefits as there's less background stuff to get you into trouble, and you can also save preferences on a site-by-site basis. You also avoid a lot of annoying stuff that some sites like to throw in your face with flash, and you gain speed by not loading it all by default.

mousewheel.acceleration.start - 3 - when you scroll up or down the page 3 times (or whatever number you specify), the scroll speed increases by the amount in the next tweak

mousewheel.acceleration.factor - 7 - faster page scrolling, higher numbers in this value = faster.

I also have a userChrome.css file with this in it: #identity-icon-labels label { font-weight: bold !important; font-size: 80% !important;}

All that does is change the font in the site identity block...

but that's getting into sperg territory.

Thanks! didn't know about the mousewheel settings and they made a huge difference. If only I could stop the flash stuttering when hardware acceleration is enabled I would be content.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Ryokurin posted:

Thanks! didn't know about the mousewheel settings and they made a huge difference. If only I could stop the flash stuttering when hardware acceleration is enabled I would be content.

As an aside, it seems like the new Flash 11.3, which put Flash into a Sandbox seems to have fixed the stutter.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/links-open-background-firefox-chrome/ here's some about :config settings that may help

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Reading their forum indicates that the ABP pop up blocker addon is obsolete, so if you have that installed, remove that too as it's natively is taken care of by the program now.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
considering that the .1 update was to specifically deal with Flash and how it interacts with a Real Player plugin and the minor release Adobe did, the problem looks to be on both sides of the fence.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Alereon posted:

I don't think that's true, I'm at work so I can't Google extensively, but Mozilla has posted update metrics on the Planet Mozilla blog that seem to show that users are reliably updating to new Firefox versions once they're on a Rapid Release version. The user experience would certainly have been better if they had laid the update groundwork before moving to Rapid Release, but it was also urgent that they close the innovation gap between Firefox and Google.

I'll give him two things that he's right about, they should have fast tracked the extension compatibility settings that were eventually added around 10 to stop some of the chatter about upgrades breaking extensions (not everyone is going to know how to force them to work) and along with this made upgrades silent like Chrome.

They pissed off the normal users because all they know is they saw a popup and now their toolbar is gone and power users were pissed off because now they have to spend 20 minutes editing files to get their plugins running again. Even now that those problems are now resolved no one wants to try because they assume it's going to involve work.

the main reason no one complains about chrome is because they don't know a change was made. They may notice that something is different in how something acts, or that it's crashy but they rarely put it together that it was because of a upgrade.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Hijacking what? I use HTTPS Everywhere and would like to know what happened

Don't know what problem he had, but I have noticed that the 3.0 experimental does not like Gawker comments, even if you disable it. Not really a big loss.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

xamphear posted:

Why don't you just use private browsing mode?

I don't tend to use it because you have to restart the browser. That's the one thing that I like that Chrome does that Firefox cant, have a private window along with standard.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
As far as I know the new UI is still a separate build. I haven't heard much about it in a long time however.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Install Gentoo posted:

But I don't see any difference at all in my browsing. Waterfox feels more responsive too.

What, exactly, is meant to be faster here other than some artificial benchmarks?

I might as well compare it to the other browsers I have on this machine. In my use, from fastest/most responsive to slowest/least responsive; it's Waterfox > Firefox > IE9 > Opera > Chrome. Here' s what that v8 benchmark shows though:

We've been past the point of javascript speed increases being noticeable for around a year now. It was great when Google shamed Mozilla and Microsoft to step up but it's not really a talking point anymore as everyone is miliseconds within each other. The problem however is that the rest of the world hasn't realized this, kind of like it took a few years before people stopped worrying about Mhz or Megapixels.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

crestfallen posted:

I'd have to disagree on that point. Having tons of javascript is only becoming more common, and most sites don't care about optimizing it too much. Not to mention the more "webapp" type sites out there.

It's not too hard to notice a difference when Chrome pauses for a second, downloads + executes, and finishes the page completely. Firefox seems to stall more often and for longer on those same sites.

I mean it's kind of splitting hairs, they are both great. But IMO the difference can still be seen.

But those problems are not always because of javascript. Some is just plain problems with XUL and Gecko, which is a big reason why a year or two ago there were rumors that Mozilla had thought about dropping at least gecko in favor of Webkit but dropped the idea due to compatibility issues. If all the speed issues were due to javascript then there should be more buzz about Opera since it seems to be consistently as fast or faster than Chrome in some situations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Im_Special posted:

So this has been bugging me for a while now and I just want to know if this is normal or did something not uninstall/install correctly and I have 2 running or whatever.

When I watch a flash video like from youtube, in my task manager it shows flash player running x2 is this normal?

Also I'm on Windows 7 64bit so shouldn't flash be 64 bit as well or is that normal too?

Two instances is a biproduct of protected mode. It's kind of similar to how Chrome will show a instance for every tab. And flash would remain 32-bit unless you change to a 64-bit version of Firefox, or IE. In Firefox's case its still is developmental. Don't worry about either, it's all normal.

edit: crap. Sorry for the repeat info!

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Uninstall, go into Program files and make sure the folder is empty, and the appdata/local folder is clean too (of course backup your bookmarks and such first) I haven't had a failure like you have before, but I have experienced weirdness over the past couple of weeks such as Firefox insisting to connect to some sites via https and then complaining about the invalid certificate among with other things and what I posted fixed it, for a while at least.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some bug somewhere where your profile starts to deteriorate over time due to the daily updates. After rebuilding everything again every couple of weeks I dropped aurora and just went to Waterfox 15 and haven't had a problem since.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I know it's a long shot, but here it goes. Is there any way to permanently block a plugin from re-enabling itself, or at least get Firefox to throw up a prompt when one is changed? Oracle in their wisdom always re-enable Java when you install updates and because I didn't remember to disable it again I got popped by an exploit last night. The only thing that saved me was MCE and Windows firewall throwing up an allow/deny prompt. If there's anyway to setup a permanent kill file similar to how you could block certain ActiveX controls in IE would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Makes sense. 18 was supposed to be released next week. In reality it will probably be the middle of the month, but it's too late. 19 will be out sometime in February too I believe.