Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A little off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of going back to 64bit again. Can 64bit flash play fullscreen video yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, it can.

Indeed it can, so now running 64bit Pale Moon 6.

Don't know why I bothered, it doesn't seem any faster than 32bit. I guess it can use more than 2GB of memory now? :ohdear:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Zhentar posted:

Now that they've finished working on making it look more like Chrome, they have been making a lot of progress on reducing the RAM usage.

Indeed, I have 62 tabs open across 3 windows and it's only using 617,680K which isn't that bad at all really (Pale Moon x64 6.0.2)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A little off topic but is there anyone maintaining a version of 64bit Thunderbird, in the way that Pale Moon and Waterfox do for Firefox?

I'm currently using EarlyBird, but that is updated sporadically, if at all.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well 64bit Flash is finally out as an official "finished" product.

Installer for Firefox here: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe

I'm sure there'll be a security update tomorrow, mind.

(Link edited to not include McAfee poo poo)
(Link put right back as that wasn't the non-McAfee link, it was the 32bit link. The original link is fine and doesn't have McAffe)

Lum fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 9, 2011

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do they have an installer that doesn't auto-delete itself after installation?

Not that I could find, but it appears to extract itself and then run "%LocalAppData%\Temp\install_flash_player_64bit.exe" -dlm -install

What you really want is the non-DLM version.

I guess making the installer auto delete itself may be a slight security improvement since any installer you download will be out of date in a few days anyway.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nah the non-DLM version suicides too. The sooner the world sheds itself of Flash, the better. Assuming HTML5 video is more secure. About which I don't even know what I'm talking about.

If this is for a corporate install, I guess you just do a batch file

COPY \\SERVER\ShittyApps\install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe %TEMP%\FuckThisShit.exe
%TEMP%\FuckThisShit.exe

And then the problem is sorted.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dwazegek posted:

Is it just me, or does the 64bit Flash installer always install some McAfee poo poo, regardless of whether you opt out or not?

edit:
I managed to get a non-McAfee installer by stripping the "mssd" from you url: http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x64_aih.exe

I didn't see any McAfee poo poo, nothing appears on my start menu or in add/remove programs.

Where is it and how do I get rid of it?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

For those who care, Pale Moon just updated to version 8.

The auto updater didn't work for me, said it couldn't validate the file despite multiple attempts.

Ended up downloading the installer by hand and checking the SHA-1 hash by hand. Works fine.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The flash updater is a bit poo poo and not always reliable.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

I'd use something like Secunia PSI to tell me when flash and other poo poo is out of date, rather than relying on the built in updaters.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The FileHippo one is good, but it's aimed more at the "must have the latest version" crowd. It also only covers apps that are available for download on FileHippe, which is admittedly quite a lot of apps.

Secunia is just about security and covers more/different apps. It's also a lot quicker to let you know and as Ryanbruce says, can be configured to auto install the important ones to save you having to click through the Java installer 3 times a week (and inadvertently end up with the Ask Jeeves Toolbar when you're not paying attention)

I actually use both, but only bother to fire up the FileHippo one when I have a few spare hours to go and update everything on my system.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Works for me using Pale Moon 8.0 64bit

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Bootstrap Beefstud posted:

Are there any particularly important plugins which won't work with Pale Moon 8.0 64-bit?

Not that I know of. Flash and Java both have 64bit plugins now.

Dunno if there's a 64bit Silverlight plugin because nobody uses Silverlight.

Maybe some obscure poo poo like Shockwave or RealPlayer or something?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I wish Pale Moon wouldn't do that poo poo with having it's own profile folder. Makes it much more annoying to switch between the two.

Just switched over to waterfox anyway, not really noticing much difference so far, apart from the nicer icon and lack of the pale moon status bar add-in, which is easilly fixed.

Now I just need a 64 bit version of Thunderbird 8.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Here's one Firefox problem I'd love to know the solution to.

When downloading a big file, it will helpfully tell you, e.g. Downloading Andromadus_Alpha_12.zip 37 or 116MB downloaded.

When that download cuts short, it just acts like it succeeded, and sits there displaying "Andromadus_Alpha_12.zip 97.9MB" like nothing is wrong.

Fortunately I noticed this, but that particular file is a custom ROM I'm about to flash onto my bloody phone. Why can't it tell me the download got cut short?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Alereon posted:

I've only seen this happen when the server doesn't tell Firefox the total file size so Firefox has no way of knowing if the download is complete or not.

It displayed the correct size during downloading.

Has happened to me loads of times, just wound me up enough to post about it today because of what I was downloading.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, exactly. Imagine how annoying it would be if every other Windows Update randomly corrupted your profile.

As someone who once looked after NT4 Server/Workstation networks, I remember well how common "Reset the user's profile" was used as a fix for all sorts of poo poo.

This was in the late 90s, hasn't been an issue since Windows 2000.

That said I've never had to reset mine and I've been using this profile since whenever it was Windows 7 came out.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

If anyone cares, Waterfox finally updated to V18 today.

Apparently there were some critical bugs in the Intel C compiler he uses, which he's finally gotten Intel to fix.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A long time ago someone posted a setting in this thread that you could change to zero and it stopped it from doing any processing of tabs at startup. I've just had to do a long overdue profile reset and can't remember what this setting was. It's not the same as the "do not load tabs at startup" tickbox in options.

Can anyone remember what it was?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs = 0 per chance? If that's it, does it not just do the same as "Do not load tabs at startup"?

That sounds familiar, but if that is the same as that setting, I guess my problem lies elsewhere

The other thing that's bugging me, and it's a really stupid thing, on my old profile my tabs and toolbar picked up their colour from my Windows 8 theme, including changing colour when the window lost focus or if you changed the Windows colour setting.

The new profile doesn't do this and I can't figure out which setting does that, googling just finds people telling me to install themes or fursonas which isn't the same thing, this was on the default theme.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can anyone tell me what this means in Aurora 20: "Ability to close hanging plugins, without the browser hanging" is listed as a new feature. But out-of-process-plugins has been there since Firefox 3.6.4 in June 2010. Is WattsvilleBlues missing something?

When flash crashes it still freezes the entire browser until it's done crashing. Could sometimes take up to a minute to do that, which was annoying.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Can someone tell me which setting causes this?

On my old Firefox profile, which I've had since (I think) the days of Firefox 3. My tabs and toolbars pick up their colour from the Windows theme, which I rather like. I do not have any custom themes or personas installed and the Firefox window changes colour with the Windows 8 colour scheme.

On my new Firefox profile, the tabs are grey, only the very background picks up my windows colour settings.

This is what my old profile looks like compared to the new one:

vs

I'd love to get that setting back. It's the only thing stopping me from actually running on a freshly reset profile.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 27, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Standish posted:

Try setting ui.use_native_colors in about :config

Nope, nor is it browser.display.use_system_colors or browser.display.use_focus_colors

I don't know if the fact that I use the Tab Utilities extension has anything to do with it, but I exported the settings from that and brought them into the new profile.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

20.0+, and make sure media.windows-media-foundation.enabled is set to true.

EDIT: Oh, and you need Win7+ for now. If you're on Vista, then 1) :lol: and 2) it doesn't work yet (but it will eventually).

What about XP, or will I not get Firefox H.264 on my work laptop for another couple of years?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

If something keeps changing your homepage, isn't it time to start looking at possible malware infestation? maybe scanning the system with a bootable antivirus USB stick or CD?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I could never give up my extensions, and for some reason I find Chrome really unattractive. And I hate its download manager for some reason, even though FF's is pretty lovely too.

All browsers are lovely, I guess, so I just stick with the one I'm super-nested in.

I found the firefox download manager much less annoying after installing download manager tweak.

It adds a few new things to it, but the big bonus is it lets you put it in a tab instead of a window.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Buff Skeleton posted:

Does this mean I can finally be rid of Foxit Reader?

[Edit] Hmm, maybe not. This one's a bit slower, but it IS quite nice for a native viewer.

SumatraPDF is what will allow you to be rid of Foxit Reader. It's the least poo poo PDF reader.

Only downside is it doesn't support forms or scripting or flash or whatever the gently caress else they put in PDFs these days that would never work when printed.

This is also the reason why it is under 5MB and isn't constantly being exploited.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

The other PDF viewers don't implement the video decoders or Flash plugins or JavaScript interpreter or 3D graphics or any of the other stupid poo poo Adobe wedged into the PDF specification. So they have a smaller attack surface.

This... PDF is supposed to be for storing documents, not some gigantic online multimedia experience.

There are very few PDFs that actually need all that poo poo.

Adobe also have a track record of producing lovely, buggy software full of security vulnerabilities, e.g. Flash. I put Flash, Reader and Java in the same category of "uninstall unless you know you need them". Unfortunately most folk can't get rid of flash, but Java can go and Reader has viable 3rd party replacements.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

FRINGE posted:

Ive never had a single problem with foxit yet. (No jinx no jinx :ohdear:)

Does foxit still bundle shovelware toolbars in the installer?

They also had that buffer overrun where a really long URL to a PDF file allowed code execution.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

oh god. Ask Jeeves!

Why are they still even trying?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

So it may actually not be a useless website, but they sure do piss everyone off by bundling toolbars with everything, which is probably why everyone vaguely hates Ask Jeeves..

Getting off topic and probably better in the ticket thread, but I used to have a user who, when the corporate browser was replaced with Firefox, with Google as the home page, would always start the browser, google for ask jeeves and then do her search there.

She was also the biggest offender for getting infested with malware which is part of what prompted the switch to Firefox in the first place. (it didn't help)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm trying to go to a site that has an expired certificate, this is in FF19

In FF18 There would be a button to add an exception and carry on. This is gone in FF19.

I've tried going to about:certerror and pasting in the URL there, but it still ignores it.

How can I sort that?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

That worked, thank you.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I have a slightly different graphical problem. When browsing some sites that have a lot of vertical scrolling, I'll occasionally come across a large black band plastered across the page, at a guess I'd say it was around 30 pixels tall.

It scrolls with the page, and scrolling it away and back again doesn't get rid of it.

I'm on FF 19.0.1, Win8-64 and crossfire Radeon 6970s with the 13.1 drivers.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Alereon posted:

Try the latest Beta drivers linked above, release drivers are buggy for AMD cards.

I thought that was just for font rendering? which is one thing I've never had a problem with in firefox.

It's not annoying me enough to go and stick beta drivers on my system, I'll wait for the proper 13.2s if that is the only available fix.

Also still haven't found out which FF setting it is that makes firefox pick up my windows theme colours for tabs and statusbar either. I have a feeling I'm going to end up copying my (ancient) profile over to my laptop at this rate.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Effort vs risk vs reward.

It's only affecting me on a couple of sites and doesn't bother me too much, so I'll just wait it out for now and come back if it still happens in the release version of 13.2

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

midnightclimax posted:

Is it possible to select the number of pages/bookmarks speed-dial displays? Like 3 instead of 9? (Not talking about the extension, but about the built-in one)

Is it possible to turn that page off completely. When I open a new tab it's so that I can middle-click paste a URL from IE, and now I have to be super careful to only middle click in empty space.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So today I started Firefox uploading a 300MB file to a cloud storage site (d-h.st if it makes a difference) and then went out for lunch.

When I got back, Windows 8 had helpfully hibernated my PC and stopped the upload from happening.

Initially I was all "loving windows 8" but then I remembered that it has a mechanism where software can tell it "hey, I'm doing poo poo here, don't you dare go to sleep on me", so now I'm blaming Firefox for not doing this.

How can I make Firefox do this?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

^^ I'm not sure that is what happened no, I wasn't even in the house when it happened. According to this article Windows 7 (and so presumably 8 as well) doesn't care about network activity and will go to sleep regardless of your file transfers. I should probably also clarify, this is hybrid-sleep not true hibernate, in case it makes a difference.

xamphear posted:

You're probably better off disabling hibernation completely, unless you really have a need for it. Plus it'll free up a few gigs of disk space. Open a command prompt as administrator and run: powercfg -h off

Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a wallnut option that. I'd rather keep hibernate on.

Was hoping there'd be either an addon or at least a "that's fixed in FF20". Firefox should probably also be doing this during downloading too.

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Me too!

They were finally able to modernize download (still hate the downloads window though)

Download Manager Tweak lets you put that download window into a tab.