Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

NihilCredo posted:

In terms of space usage, having tabs on the side is still far and away the better option. Particularly in a world where 90% of people have widescreen monitors.

(I use Tree Style Tab if you care.)

This will solve my problems with having 30 tabs open! Another reason this makes sense is that 99% of websites are built around 950-1000 pixels wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Firefox 10 for me is always using way to many system resources. I go from opening 4 tabs, to 20, to 30, but it stays at 600mb of usage and 10% of CPU when I go back to 5. I can restart Firefox to start fresh again with resources, but this is extremely annoying.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Alereon posted:

This is usually due to third-party add-ons or extensions, especially those installed by AV programs. Make sure you don't have any non-Microsoft Antivirus/Firewall/Internet Security programs installed; if you do, completely uninstall them and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free, provides excellent protection, and won't slow down your computer or cause system problems. Also, go to Firefox, Add-ons, and disable anything you don't use on the Extensions and Plugins tabs. If that still doesn't fix it, follow the instructions in the OP to make a new profile.

I've been using Security Essentials, and have only the bare minimum addons installed. I tried using it for awhile with addons disabled and it still spiraled out of control.

I also noticed my laptop's fans revving up a lot. Turns out when viewing the Nivo Slider (javascript slider) on firefox the CPU usage bounces between 4-36%. The exact same page on Chrome bounces up to 16%. And as I use firefox longer and longer that only gets worse.

I'm currently trying out using a new user profile, memory and CPU so far is actually much better. However if I continue to use this new user profile for the next several months with it start slowing down again?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I'm not sure if any developers will find the 3D mode actually helpful. You can even spin the page around and see everything in reverse. I will not deny it's really cool, but why did they spend the time on this instead of a built-in javascript debugger?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
It seems that 14 is automatically adding www in front of some URLs I type in. Any way to disable this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I started a new profile since everything started to lag in 18, and it is back up to speed again. However the DOM inspector/editor is painfully slow. Is it slow for everyone else? Does 19 or 20 have faster development tools?