Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
The NY Times, and possibly other sites, are now using a helpful feature where highlighting text on the page pops up a little ? bubble that you can click on to "Lookup Word". Unfortunately this completely breaks right-click to search Google and every other thing you might do with highlighted text through the context menu since the highlight disappears as soon as you right-click. Any ideas on how to beat this stupid feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
So FF8 is out and they added this new thing with users selecting their add-ons (or plugins or who knows what the gently caress since Mozilla can't call them anything consistently): http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/08/11/strengthening-user-control-of-add-ons/

One of the comments says they'll provide information for OEMs and enterprises, but I can't find anything on that blog about it.

We install Adblock+ by default on all of our PCs, and not in the the user profile. Is there anything describing this change in more technical detail and ways to minimize how much end users have to see and click on extra poo poo?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Microsoft Spy posted:

fligtar's post (the one you quote) is agood one. add-ons = extensions by the way.
plug-ins are different.

Right, so what I'm looking for is what he commented would be coming "soon":

fligtar posted:

We’ll be posting info for enterprises and other distributions that need to ship with add-ons built in soon. It’s still possible.

Where are the details about which preferences I need to set so that my users will never have to see anything about this? Or do I have to figure it out myself like every other new feature? (This is why I'm ditching Firefox as a supported browser at work...)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Probably something with the new feature forcing users to select which stuff they want enabled when upgrading. Try a new profile maybe?

I found this page on disabling the new add-on controls. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
After testing, it appears this is all you need to do to get extensions in the program files folder rather than user profiles working, without any user interaction:

lockPref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 11);

That site I linked had the pref misspelled as autoDisableScope. I'm not sure what the other pref they mentioned (extensions.shownSelectionUI) is for, but I never saw the selection page, even before I started messing with these prefs. I was upgrading from 6.0.2 to 8.0, so maybe that was why.

You need to set this pref for Thunderbird too if you're bundling stuff like Lightning.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Prize Loser posted:

Does anyone know how to stop Firefox from running javascript that disables text selection and right clicking without disabling javascript altogether? Why the hell does any browser obey this sort of thing in the first place?

Example (please no derailing talking about the content of the link I'm posting. This is not the thread for it): http://www.michaelcrook.org/2011/11/15/ashley-billasano-did-not-defend-her-virtue/

In case anyone's wondering, Chrome and IE obey this as well.

I posted about this problem with the NY Times website a while ago. Highlighting text popped up a stupid little question mark balloon, which broke right-click on the highlighted text to search Google. I ended up tracking down the specific JS file to block on the NY Times website to prevent it, but it's not always easy to find.

It's annoying and should be easier to disable in all browsers. I don't see anything about in the Chrome settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sereri posted:

Just did the update to Thunderbird 11 and it still has no loving TB button. Not even an option. Nothing. They've been dragging their feet for almost a year now.

I read this a couple times but I still can't figure out what you're complaining about.