Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I've almost finally made the leap from Chrome to Firefox, but I was wondering if there's any extensions that people would recommend that I go for just to make things all nice and lovely?

Obviously the first extensions I installed was AdBlock, but there's a few other things I added to Chrome which I'd like to do in Firefox so I was hoping for the goon concensus for each one.

Mouse gestures - I couldn't live without these! I used them all the time in Opera and when I moved to Chrome I was at a loss until I installed them.

Quick posts to Twitter/Facebook - I see loads of cool extensions for fully-fledged social media clients, but all I really want is a little icon to click on in-line with the address bar to bring up a tiny popup for tweetin'/facebookin' a link to the page I'm currently on (preferably with the option to delete the link if I just want to post something without opening the website).

Being unable to close pinned tabs - I can't remember whether or not Opera could do this, but drat it'd be useful. I find myself closing stuff I want permanently open all the time!

If anyone can recommend good extensions for those, or anything else you think I'll find useful, that'd be awesome! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ Great list of extensions, thanks! :)
Isn't Firefox Share the one that'll bookmark every link you share? Plus I think I gave it a quick go yesterday and it didn't let me remove a link from a tweet if I felt like changing the URL or just posting a tweet without a link. Not a huge deal, I guess.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I keep getting this from time to time. Goddamn flash is a pox upon mankind

Adblock Plus - it's a given
https://www.mousegestures.org - my favorite mouse gestures extension (install the nightly)

A piece of advice that was useful to me: mind your extensions. Really only get what you need. Extensions are awesome but getting carried away and having a profile filled to the brim with extensions, especially some that are only used from time to time, can slow down your browser all the time.
Yeah I don't really plan on having much, I just fancy having adblock, mouse gestures and quick tweet/facebook as my necessary ones. Anything else will be purely optional depending on how handy I find it vs how much it slows stuff down.

edit: Oh, one more thing I noticed that I couldn't find built-in. Being able to auto-complete forms on websites asking for my name/address was awesome in Opera and Chrome.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 8, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Milkman posted:

Yeah Share has some quirks, just none that ever bothered me from finding a replacement, since it's lightweight and generally works well enough.

Autofill forms:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/autofill-forms/

Automatic backup/recovery of form text:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/
Those look like they should do the trick, thanks!

I might just go with Share and try to get used to it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Toast Museum posted:

• Imgur Uploader - "upload image," "upload screenshot," and "upload partial screenshot" context menu items
YES! The imgur thing is something I'll use a lot. Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Well this is annoying. I shut off my work PC that I was playing about with Firefox in and came home, now it can't sync with my bookmarks and stuff unless I get a key from my work PC - logging into my Sync account with my username/password isn't enough?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I'm guessing I can remove this Siphon add-on syncer extension then?

Hopefully it is the case that add-on settings are synced so that any new mouse gestures or auto-fill forms I put in only need to be set up once!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If I could be bothered taking screenshots from within 3D view (the imgur extension has spoiled me!) then we could play a game of Guess The Website. It's strange how websites look when tipped on their sides, Google's search box and Install Chrome button are like skyscrapers!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Why not add the forums as a bookmark then give it a keyword? That was, you only have to hit ctrl+L, type in a few letters (e.g. "sa") then hit enter.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If you've visited a site before, it autocompletes the URL you type in the address bar, and doesn't just provide results from your bookmarks and history. A small but nice incremental change.
I just hope I can disable it. If I have a bookmarklet with the keyword "forums", I don't want an autocomplete to take priority over that. Or if I wanna ctrl+enter a URL that happens to match-up to some autocomplete stuff.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sergeant Rock posted:

Fuckin' useless talentless half-arsed Adobe coders. I'm tempted to just uninstall Flash and pretend I'm using an iPad.
A detailed list of things I have missed by not having Flash on my iPad:
Nanaca Crash

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I can't remember what version I was on when I made the switch to Firefox a few months ago, but I don't think I've ever had a separate search bar.

Personally, I prefer having an omnibar where I can just use keywords for different search engines, so I don't have to use two different keyboard shortcuts for either entering a URL or a search.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Even when I have nothing open using Flash I've been finding Firefox to be far more sluggish in the past few weeks than it had been when I switched to it from Chrome a couple of months ago.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can Firefox have multiple extension/tab styles on multiple windows?

I have two monitors, one on a widescreen monitor and one tallscreen. The widescreen monitor would be good for having tabs down the side of the screen, but obviously on the tall monitor that would make things cluttered - so having one window with side tabs and another with top tabs would be pretty handy.

Also, regarding the whole URL owns tab / tab owns URL thing - it's always made sense to me for the tabs to be on top. To me, the URL is a piece of information about the current status of just that tab, as changing the tab will change the URL, so the URL would be beneath the tab.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think I've forgotten why I switched to Firefox to Chrome in the first place. It definitely seems to have a lot more crashes or ~10 second freezes that Chrome or Opera did. Quite tempted to switch back, since the only extension I think I use all that often now (Invisible Hand) has a Chrome equivalent and the rest of my usage is mostly through bookmarklets for sharing to Twitter etc.

I'm hoping to be convinced to stick with Firefox so I don't need to go saving passwords and exporting bookmarks etc all over again.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'll run Crystal Disk later on and hopefully build a clean Firefox profile this weekend. As far as I know my graphics card drivers are up to date and though I have AVG installed the plugin for it is disabled. I suppose I haven't done a defrag in a while either so I'll get that done tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it'll all be okay after that! I usually have between 5 and 12 tabs open at a time across two windows.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kapinga posted:

I'll note I was unimpressed with the performance of Invisible Hand back when I had it installed (years ago), so Invisible Hand could be the source of your slowdowns. Firefox is very much susceptible to degraded performance due to badly coded add-ons.
All the issues were happening long before I installed InvisibleHand so it must have been something else. Want be at my PC much this week so I can't really say if things have improved for a while though.

As for AVG, I guess it's just me being old fashioned and being used to having to have some third party AV in the machine. I'm almost tempted to flatten and reinstall my computer sometime over Christmas given its overall performance on some random software so I'll stick with Windows' own AV once I do that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Scalding Coffee posted:

I miss how my tabs filled the absolute top of the screen and now there is only the Firefox button and screen resizes with nothing in the middle. How do I get them back?
I thought the top was only filled with tabs if you have Firefox maximised?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fangs404 posted:

I love Firefox so much.
Every so often I decide that I'm gonna switch back to Chrome due to how sluggish Firefox is with regular lock-ups, then I read stuff like this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox shouldn't be sluggish or locking up regularly. I've got 10 extensions installed in Aurora and usually have around 2 dozen tabs open and it works really well. I have a fast computer but even with a lower spec machine you shouldn't be getting crap performance. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the OP?
A couple of times. Even fresh installs with no plugins installed on perfectly good computers, Firefox I've found can be slow to load and if one tab has the slightest fault (e.g. Flash plugin crashing, or some javascript error) then every window I have open just hangs. I do wish every browser had Chrome's "every tab is its own process" thing.