Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
http://www.versuscity.net/2011/08/31/persona-fighting-game-persona-4-vita/

Not sure if legit, but

quote:

The current roster of characters includes the P4 protagonist (Izanagi), Chie (Tomoe), Yosuke (Jiraiya) and Aegis (Athena).
If they're listed with their Personas, hm. Hopefully this is a sign that it'll be a spiritual sequel to Jojo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember someone explaining JoJo to me and how the girl is the worst character because she only has 1 infinite.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

I remember someone explaining JoJo to me and how the girl is the worst character because she only has 1 infinite.

Hahaha, yup.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001
The Persona 4 fighter would be amazing if they based the English version off of the HiimDaisy comic dubs.

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose

Slug in a Box posted:

http://www.versuscity.net/2011/08/31/persona-fighting-game-persona-4-vita/

Not sure if legit, but

If they're listed with their Personas, hm. Hopefully this is a sign that it'll be a spiritual sequel to Jojo's.

If that's true it'll also be P3 because Aigis was in that one. I'm going to buy the poo poo out of this game.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Do you guys think it's worth holding off on buying a joystick to see if Madcatz does another 2 for 1 deal for black Friday?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

A burst gauge you say

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

absolutely anything posted:

Actually the final scene of King of Chinatown is Triforce whining that he has to work a retail job to support EMP which just makes this whole thing even funnier.

That's hilarious but its at that point Triforce crosses the line from "a funny moron with wacky hijinks" to completely pathetic, that is if you don't consider sending pictures of his dick and Myspace poetry to girls on Facebook crossing that line.

edit: BREAKING FIGHTING GAME NEWS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eukdn61sXPA&feature=feedu

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 31, 2011

Kuai
May 25, 2004
It's a sad day when the owner of the first american 3DS and wearer of Powergloves in public's fighting game team dies. The american dream is dead.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I kinda wish the Personas weren't bound to certain characters... It would be cool if it worked like Arcana in AH, where you chose before the fight and got different character properties/options based on your choice!!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So why is Sengoku Basara X so bad anyway? I only played it for like 5mins so I couldn't really get a feel for just out bad it is.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There are several reasons but here's a time out situation that really shouldn't happen. I'd find worse videos but the game isn't really played by anyone anymore so maybe someone with more knowledge and experience will come and post about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=purs5avMjE8

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
lol

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cat Machine posted:

I kinda wish the Personas weren't bound to certain characters... It would be cool if it worked like Arcana in AH, where you chose before the fight and got different character properties/options based on your choice!!

I'm really tired of Japan's attempts to half-rear end some kind of assist system. MvC2 already did it perfectly and it's tired as gently caress by now. I don't think Jojo's would have been improved by this feature.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Gamest Mook posted:

lol

Goddamnit why do you have to do this. Why do you have to link this so I end up reading and why... w-why... gently caress... :negative:

*fake edit* goddamn that article is passive-aggressive as gently caress

*real edit*

Some dumb in the comments posted:

This is actually the main reason why Dead Or Alive is my preferred fighting game. A few people try to crowbar in the old ways of thinking and talk about tier lists, but the actual high-level players (and not just the loudmouths who claim to be the high-level players) have never spent more than seven seconds thinking about character tiers, frame data, move priority and so on. The DOA community is refreshingly open-minded and reasonable when it comes to these things: the thinking is it's not written into the game's code that character X will always beat or lose to character Y, and if player A is genuinely better than player B then which character they use should almost be irrelevant. Everyone has a better time because of it and it means that high level discussion is more often than not about the players themselves and the psychology of a match rather than fapping over a 2-frame advantage on block and other such trite nonsense.

Plus the DOA community generally don't try to force in stupid terms like "whiff" when "miss" is shorter and doesn't sound as silly, so there's that in their favour too.

Generally 3D fighting game players do seem more willing to ignore the old ways of thinking and it does seem to be mostly Capcom 2D fighting game fans who are hell-bent on picking apart every single animation, studying hitboxes under amicroscope and talking at length about why each character is better or worse than the others. It also seems to be the 2D fans (again, especially Capcom fans) that insist on using arcade sticks all the time while 3D game fans seem to take a well-made d-pad over anything else. It's an interesting divide.

That's it, I'm done. I'm done with the internet and I'm done with video games. Please come to my house and shoot me in the face and throw my computer in the bin. :suicide:

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 31, 2011

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

Did any of y'all get MK HD Kollection? I heard the netplay is rear end and kinda wanted a confirm/deny on that.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Gamest Mook posted:

lol

The funny part is I'm pretty sure this is the dtoid writer who prides himself on actually understanding fighting games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

S-U-P-E-R posted:

Did any of y'all get MK HD Kollection? I heard the netplay is rear end and kinda wanted a confirm/deny on that.

New MK thread here. I haven't bought the collection for myself but everyone who has says it's complete garbage.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
USA Top Tier Chun Li

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

"Holy poo poo what the hell am I reading posted:

I give this article an 9/10. Why? Cause you didn't touch on a more important subject:
Fightsticks vs. Dpads.

I hate all these rear end in a top hat fucks who claim a wobbly rear end arcade stick makes them a better fighting game player, meanwhile I house them all day on a dpad. Also, button setter-uppers. If it ain't your house, learn to play default.

Ok I'm gonna stop this now before I'm too far gone

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 31, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Arc not content making the nth BlazBlue CS revision and two licensed anime fighters, probably going to announce BlazBlue 3: Cat Tickler at Tokyo Game Show

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
I don't give a gently caress, I will play the ever living poo poo out of the Persona fighter, always been a huge SMT. I have a feeling the Persona system will either play out like Arcana Heart or JoJo's.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

There are several reasons but here's a time out situation that really shouldn't happen. I'd find worse videos but the game isn't really played by anyone anymore so maybe someone with more knowledge and experience will come and post about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=purs5avMjE8

Still pretty funny they had this game at Tougeki last year. Then again, they had Capcom Fighting Jam in 2005.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Gamest Mook posted:

lol

This gem from another of his posts:

quote:

Remember folks, if you're getting your butt kicked by Chun Li or Yun in 3rd Strike: Online, it's not the game's fault. It's your fault for not parrying enough.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gamest Mook posted:

I'm really tired of Japan's attempts to half-rear end some kind of assist system. MvC2 already did it perfectly and it's tired as gently caress by now. I don't think Jojo's would have been improved by this feature.
I wasn't thinking of stands/assists/whatever. Arcana in AH don't really assist you in combat like stands in JoJo's or assists in Marvel - they usually change certain character properties and what 'ultra' they can do.

Also, from that Destructoid article:

quote:

People didn't start using Wang or whatever his name is in SSFIV until come dude got to the finals with him.

You know, the kickboxer guy from Alpha. Wang.

Seriously can't remember his name. Get over it.

But yeah. Totally agree with this article. This year's EVO supports it too. I think. No tier told you Daigo would get perfected.
:negative:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

So why is Sengoku Basara X so bad anyway? I only played it for like 5mins so I couldn't really get a feel for just out bad it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZlKA3VJWTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuLZEp30J6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLeTU-bUKo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2AobhTzl00#t=5m50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjr0SJGUy1U#t=5m30s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh0mUg9GXb4#t=3m00s

It's a game where you can't spend super bar because it's the only chance you have to not get stuck in an infinite.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Cat Machine posted:

Also, from that Destructoid article:
:negative:
I can't even work out who they mean. Is it Adon? I guess he's sort of a kickboxer and was in Alpha but his name sounds nothing like Wang. At first I assumed Gen, because old Chinese fighters are only ever called Gen or Wang.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Question Mark Mound posted:

I can't even work out who they mean. Is it Adon? I guess he's sort of a kickboxer and was in Alpha but his name sounds nothing like Wang. At first I assumed Gen, because old Chinese fighters are only ever called Gen or Wang.

Yeah, they're referring to Adon/Gamerbee

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Wow yeah that's pretty poo poo. It kinda looks like they could at least somehow fix it up to Hokuto no Ken levels of "retarded but at least there's something there to work with"

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gamest Mook posted:

lol

quote:

YES! I am agreeing so hard with this!

I typically pick my fighters based purely on how cool I think their character design is. For whatever reason, most of my choices end up being bottom or mid-tier.

I have a few friends that take fighting games marginally more serious than I do (not to the point that they obsess over tier lists though thank god), and they usually make a point to tell me how I should pick better characters or how I should be attempting to use so and so combo since it's more effective than whatever button mashing I might currently be doing.

I tell them to stuff it. I'm going to play games the way I want to, not the way I'm "supposed" to.

Ugh.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Sex Vicar posted:

Arc Sys making Persona 4 fighter with Atlus

Random licensed fighting games from other properties? Fighting games are back, baby.

Well, that's something I did not expect to see. Still, I'm not complaining about a new fighting game with Persona characters. Day 1 purchase away!

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
Persona 4 The Ultimate screenshots:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/01/persona_4_fighter/

Definitely kind of looks like the child of BlazBlue and Jojo's with P4's interface. I hope the gameplay's solid, since I love Persona 4.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Taken shamelessly from the SMT thread. Obvious Burst and what's probably a Super meter at the bottom. Of the remaining three UI features (diamonds above the healthbar, rectangles below the healthbar, numbers next to the bottom bars) one has to be the round counter (probably the diamonds) so that leaves two for Persona use. No idea what the bottom number is unless they're gonna let us stock 70+ bars of super. :v:

edit; Actually the Burst might be the persona thing. On the two shots a Persona is active the BURST is either a brighter red or crossed out. Might be a once-a-round thing.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Slug in a Box posted:

Persona 4 The Ultimate screenshots:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/01/persona_4_fighter/

Definitely kind of looks like the child of BlazBlue and Jojo's with P4's interface. I hope the gameplay's solid, since I love Persona 4.

Teddy as dictator looks pretty awesome, but I'm just holding out until we see video. The last thing I want is another underwater fighter like BlazBlue.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The numbers next to the bottom bars are just how full that bar is. The one below the health bar is presumably guard meter. I do wonder why it's segmented and why it's greyed out in some images though.

Judging from the number of bars the system looks less convoluted than BB which can only be a good thing.

Looks like you can make your super bar longer somehow... one char has 6 stocks and all the 4 stock bars have 2 black lines on the side.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 31, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm laughing at the bottom of the P4 Protagonist vs. Aegis picture saying Free Pray. The others all say Free Play, though.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006
I'm not saying I completely agree with the article, but I do agree with some of it. Tiers are generally overblown and people have a tendency to think there's some kind of real empirical measure of a character's viability in tournament. Arguing whether a character is "upper mid" or "mid" is really stupid and pointless. Mainly because there really is no distinction.

I see a lot of arguments where people try so hard to hold onto their understandings of the tiers, but if you follow a game long enough the tiers start to change and to me you really have to be willing to accept that.

What he says about frame data is pretty dumb, but I don't think it's so important to memorize frame data per se because after a while you just start to internalize certain situations and learn what moves are punishable and from what distances.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Tiers are totally overblown especially for new games. But it's pretty dumb to try to claim that characters aren't intrinsically good or bad.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
From what I understand, tiers in Super Turbo don't really exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

ZerodotJander posted:

Tiers are totally overblown especially for new games. But it's pretty dumb to try to claim that characters aren't intrinsically good or bad.

I think a character can be made bad, but what is an example of an intrinsically bad character?

• Locked thread