Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
From what I can tell the aversion to Alpha 2 gold is deep seated in ancient history. The changelog overall looks like it makes the game slightly better as a whole, some of the balance changes are wonky but the system changes look better to the game.

Or maybe people REALLY like Valle CCs?

Maybe the changelogs I'm looking at are wrong?

Edit: I haven't played A2 to any level of degree that many others have. Pretty much my only huge gripe with A2 has to do with the power of CCs and Valle CC. Removing that - even with the stranger balance changes - looks to improve the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If it was released before SF4 it isn't allowed to be patched/fixed or it's garbage. If it's released after SF4, you have to patch/fix it or it's garbage.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Uznare posted:

Alpha 3 is loving garbage though? I'd rather have the Alpha series dead than have another Alpha 3 port. A2 is where it's at.

Alpha 3 is the third highest selling SF game, though most of that was the psx release. The console versions also removed a poo poo-ton of the broken mechanics.

Is it the best SF game? No, but of all the Alpha's it would be the one most likely to actually sell if put on an online market place.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
A3 is my favorite SF game aesthetically. I love the video-gameness of the interface, the scrolling text and bright colors on the attract mode, the memorable announcer and the pixelated crap all over the screen before a round, etc. etc.

I only ever played the PSX version with neighbors so I enjoyed it but I was pretty young and even worse at FG's than I am now, so I can't comment on the game vs. A2, but I loved the presentation.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Whoever posted about CvS2 online edition had the right idea. I would buy that game every year.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Just as long as its not based on CvS2:EO

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
A2G fixes made the game better but not any more fun

A3 is loving terrible and I hate that game asodijfaoijdz;lknxc;lkvnzk,iqo4i9t8ji9j

it plays worse than sfxt

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Team Stab posted:

Whoever posted about CvS2 online edition had the right idea. I would buy that game every year.

CvS2 is my all time favorite fighting game despite the retarded roll-canceling bullshit.

But this won't happen anytime soon due to licensing. :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha 3 is cool if you take out V-ism. Or maybe I just enjoy the announcer and playing R. Mika and Karin too much.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I thought Karin had bad normals which made her really bad? Then again all I know about the Alpha series is what Uznare told me.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, I'm watching American Idol, and I think Yipes was on in a non-speaking way. They did a little montage of people deserving :stare: and I think he was in a group of 3 waiting for someone to finish. Anyone who happens to have this on DVR feel like checking? Figuring this out would be more entertaining than actually watching.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

LightningKimba posted:

I thought Karin had bad normals which made her really bad? Then again all I know about the Alpha series is what Uznare told me.

She's low-tier, but she has a lot of awesome tools and is a ton of fun to play.

edit: V-Karin is actually good, because she has some really unfair setups/combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCdukca-tE. I never liked V-ism though.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 24, 2012

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
CvS2 Online Edition, and they should base it off the balances of EO, and then balance it even further.

The hardcore CvS2 community would poo poo all over it, of course, but gently caress 'em.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
What exactly was so terrible about EO anyway?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
There's really no point to doing balance changes in rereleases 10+ years after the fact.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

redmercer posted:

iirc they took out roll canceling and made other changes like i think p-groove could do super canceling and there might've beeno ther stuff. In other words it was n't a faithful version of the arcade game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
In this case, "Balance Changes" means a flat 5% damage nerf to all the top tier characters, 5% damage buff to random others, an EX groove addition (super cancelling) to the least popular groove, and the removal of the glitch that comprised over half of the gameplay. capcom.txt

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Alas

Goonbats are over.

Here are the Breaker's Revenge results:

http://goons.challonge.com/ggpobats12_breakers

Let's do some :fap:~awards~:fap:

1st Place: Zand
42 Points

Zand is loving good at old games. gently caress this guy. He's a loving cheater. Actually knows how to play the games instead of "what's next week? oh i'll mash that three times."

2nd Place: RottKing
40 Points

code:
<RottKing> im a garbage human
<RottKing> also where is my victory futa
3rd Place: Ghostpilot
39 Points

Ghostpilot is impossible to get salty at even though he's good. He plays low tier and he's incredibly nice. It's a lethal combination because you can never get mad at him enough to really want to beat him.

Congratulations to all of our winners!

Special shoutouts to RickoniX, NotDave, and Ixiggle for attending every single Goonbat, 12 weeks in a row. Stop playing fighting games and do something with your life already.

detailed results here: http://goo.gl/JzKXR

:siren:That's all, folks!:siren:

When is Season 2?

The gently caress? This isn't a Q&A session...

Anyway, we'll take a little break before starting the series again, but Season 2 will be one game for an extended period of time (probably start post-Evo). I'm still unsure if it should be one game for 4 weeks or for 6 weeks.

Oh cool, what games?

At this point it'll be 98, ST, or VSav. Still unsure exactly what's going to run when.

Will there be prizes this time?

No, I'm loving poor.

I have more questions.

Okay, well ask them then!

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 24, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

interrodactyl posted:

When is Season 2?

The gently caress? This isn't a Q&A session...

Anyway, we'll take a little break before starting the series again, but Season 2 will be one game for an extended period of time (probably start post-Evo). I'm still unsure if it should be one game for 4 weeks or for 6 weeks.

Oh cool, what games?

At this point it'll be 98, ST, or VSav. Still unsure exactly what's going to run when.

Hell yeah. You know which one I'm voting for but none of these would be disappointing.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Breakers Revenge should also make a return for season 2, it's such a rad game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Krakhan posted:

Breakers Revenge should also make a return for season 2, it's such a rad game.

Breakers and SS5SP but I'm apparently like the only one left who likes that game. Looking forward to Season 2 and hopefully will be a better opponent for it!

Gonna ask this in here: How am I supposed to get in on Saizo as Sho? Saizo has way too many defensive options for me to deal with. His sword slashes generally beat my dive kicks, and his sweep too (as Krakhan can attest to) and I obviously can't win a fireball war against Saizo. The sword slashes also have enough range and his fireballs come out quickly enough that I can't just walk/dash up to him.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I would love nothing more than Windjammers to return.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I'd play any of the 3 but am partial to ST and vsav.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

redmercer posted:

It mapped all the special attacks to the C-Stick. Also the previously mentioned issues.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
lovely rebalancing aside, you didn't have to play in EO input mode did you? I don't think you did for the Xbox version at least.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah you can switch it to normal input, but then you discover how terrible the Gamecube Controller is for that game.

engage
Jun 7, 2006
Sexual assault is A-Okay as long as the molester is drunk! I would have no problem with some old man sliding his hand down my pants, so you shouldn't either!

The Rokstar posted:

lovely rebalancing aside, you didn't have to play in EO input mode did you? I don't think you did for the Xbox version at least.

You didn't have to play in EO input mode. It's just like choosing simple inputs or whatever in some newer fighters. CvS2 was and still is my favourite fighter. I only really played it with friends on the xbox, but we played the hell out of it (and still do sometimes).

I can't really understand how removing RCs was bad for the game; it just added invincibility frames to special moves didn't it? How is removing that a bad thing? Seems like the negative press is just a function of everyone being whiny babies with poopy diapers.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
No, you see EO was bad because RC was great for balance because it made everyone in the game competitive.

*Everyone uses A-Blanka/Sak/Cammy/Claw/Dictator for the next 6 years*

Sir Ando
Oct 4, 2005

STEP IN THE RING, BROTHER!

interrodactyl posted:

Oh cool, what games?

I would play ST. ST is cool.

Sir Ando fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 24, 2012

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

interrodactyl posted:

:words:

Oh cool, what games?

Oh cool, what games?

Oh cool, what games?

At this point it'll be 98, 98, or 989898989898989898989898989898989898989898

UberChair fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 24, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd play something if I could make sure I get playable ping against US people. I suck at all old games, tho.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

engage posted:

You didn't have to play in EO input mode. It's just like choosing simple inputs or whatever in some newer fighters. CvS2 was and still is my favourite fighter. I only really played it with friends on the xbox, but we played the hell out of it (and still do sometimes).

I can't really understand how removing RCs was bad for the game; it just added invincibility frames to special moves didn't it? How is removing that a bad thing? Seems like the negative press is just a function of everyone being whiny babies with poopy diapers.

It came out at a time when "the arcade standard" was still a thing people cared about.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

UberChair posted:

Oh cool, what games?

At this point it'll be 98, 98, or 989898989898989898989898989898989898989898

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

inthesto posted:

Weird FG trivia question: How many games are there where you actually start a match with full meter?

The only two I can think of are SFA3 and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel.

All Art of Fighting games do this, but you need meter to use specials, so you're encouraged to master your normals, avoid projectile spam and be more deliberate than random, as supers can get quite powerful. I'm kinda sad games don't do this sort of thing nowadays.

This probably also applies to a bunch of DBZ games too though.

Other than (or instead of) removing roll-cancelling, something worth doing in a CvS2 re-release would be actually removing rolls from the Capcom grooves that have them. It shouldn't be that hard to have a remixed and an original mode both available in the game. Which ever would make it possible for a Todoh/Kyosuke/Maki team to win tournaments instead of the usual crowd should be encouraged anyway.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, why do you think some characters are good every incarnation and others bad every incarnation?

Characters like Chun Li and Sagat are almost always top tier and T Hawk is generally bottom tier. I realize tiers can't exactly be planned, but you'd think they'd look at a character that's almost always useless and think "gee, maybe we should this one more viable"?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Hawk is seeing a lot more play in ST recently, actually.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Watching Damdai play ST is absolutely fascinating. :black101:

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

interrodactyl posted:

Special shoutouts to RickoniX, NotDave, and Ixiggle for attending every single Goonbat, 12 weeks in a row. Stop playing fighting games and do something with your life already.

Goonbats don't take a lot of time out of the day if you only practice for 40 minutes and go 0-2, sometimes 1-3. Also add Breakers to Season 2. 4 games with 4 weeks a piece sounds dandy.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I think you mean practice for 40 minutes and fraud skill your way into top 6 extra points 3 times or something like me :whatup:

rivals fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

engage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jyPQaHftWk

• Locked thread