Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Shen Woo is an anagram for He Ownso. Pick Shen and now the joys of big punches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not just big punches, big FIRE punches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shen Woo is named Shen Woo because you'll go WOOOOOO every time you win a round.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Thanks for all the tips, folks. That'll help me get started. I will say, from the tiny bit I've played I think I'll really like this game. I've really liked the music and spritework, the game feels really good to play, and my first online match got me matched up with another player with no history, so the matchmaking is making a way better first impression than SFIV's did, where asking for players in the same skill range still occasionally gets my C rank matched up with a 20,000 BP MASTERED rank. :v:

One last thing - do I need a stick to get the most out of KOF? Because I couldn't get past the Drive Cancel in the tutorial with a PS3 controller, and buffering seems like it'll be really hard to do on a dinky analog stick where there's a difference of millimeters between Down-forward and Forward.

Try holding down the button instead of tapping it. It repeats the input for 5 frames or some poo poo, and makes drive cancels easier.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

Try holding down the button instead of tapping it. It repeats the input for 5 frames or some poo poo, and makes drive cancels easier.

The attack button, you mean?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yes.

edit:Also, if you're waiting for the first move to do something, don't. Most drive cancels are done immediately. You finish one input and then do the next as fast as you can put it in.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 21, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neat, thanks.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

If you're starting out with kof I highly recommend shen woo. He has amazing normals, high damage, and pretty
Easy basic combos. He uses the system reall well and there's tons of info for him out there. His gameplay is very straightforward - you want to hit them until they die.

Also 90% of shens gameplan is NOT qcfp, that poo poo is unsafe. Always end block strings with qcf d or qcf c~b cancel.

burger time fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

burger time posted:

If you're starting out with kof I highly recommend shen woo. He has amazing normals, high damage, and pretty
Easy basic combos. He uses the system reall well and there's tons of info for him out there. His gameplay is very straightforward - you want to hit them until they die.

How's Kyo for a newbie? Obviously he's who the tutorial gives you, and I really like how he looked and felt when I put him in the training room for a bit. Fire is neat.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Spiritus Nox posted:

How's Kyo for a newbie? Obviously he's who the tutorial gives you, and I really like how he looked and felt when I put him in the training room for a bit. Fire is neat.

He's got easy enough hitconfirms, a good jump attack with d+C, and simple juggles. I see nothing not to like.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, based on Goon Recommendations, I'm thinking of rolling with a team of Shen Woo, Kyo, and Clark in some order while I pick it up. Sounds good?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 22, 2014

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, based on Goon Recommendations, I'm thinking of rolling with a team of Shen Woo, Kyo, and Clark in some order while I pick it up. Sounds good?

Run it with Shen as anchor because he's most effective when he can burn a lot of meter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

'Anchor' being my final character, I presume?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

'Anchor' being my final character, I presume?
Yeah, that's the general term for it across all team-based fighting games.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you haven't already checked it out, you can get everything you need off of Dream Cancel

The quick combo references tend to be good, although sometimes they're missing some basic poo poo you should know like Kyo's meterless corner jugg-it's a wiki why haven't I just added that myself.

edit:Because it appears to be impossible to register so I can edit, I guess. :confused:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 22, 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
PLAY SHEN WOO

BIG MAN DAMAGE
BIG MAN POWER
(who needs combos(LEARN HIS HD COMBOS)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Since people are picking up this game from the humble bundle maybe there could be a steam group made to play it.

I could make the steam group, but i'm just an ideas guy. I can make a wiki.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Hey, are there any good tutorials around for introducing someone new to guilty gear to Reload?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

mango gay touchies posted:

Hey, are there any good tutorials around for introducing someone new to guilty gear to Reload?

Yes, it's called find someone who played #R when it was relevant.
Otherwise no.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
New KoF guys, add me for KoF

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

interrodactyl posted:

Yes, it's called find someone who played #R when it was relevant.
Otherwise no.

Most of the mechanics are similar in newer versions so just find a ac+r guide.

Then you play sol and dustloop all day every day.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sent you a request - my Steam handle's just Spiritus.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

ReVerve posted:

So who else is in on the Yatagarasu:AoC (YAoC?) Alpha now. I got the Steam key this afternoon, got it up and running then messed around a little with the new guy. Should be fun.

Played Shimo for about an hour against a bro of mine online. Shimo feels unfinished relative to the other characters I've messed around with but the game and netcode feel good even though GGPO isn't in yet. Chadha seems like a real shitlord right now, anime grappler supremacy.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is Tekken on 360 still pretty active? I have it on PS3 but my only stick is for 360.

Added, i'm RBX.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/RBXDud/ for anyone else that wants games.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a place where these ease-of-use charts are collected (and generally agreed upon) for most fighting games? It'd be handy when starting a new game to know who is the most friendly to scrublords like me.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

Played Shimo for about an hour against a bro of mine online. Shimo feels unfinished relative to the other characters I've messed around with but the game and netcode feel good even though GGPO isn't in yet. Chadha seems like a real shitlord right now, anime grappler supremacy.

I dunno about shimo but doing basketball combos with Hina is one of the most fun things ever. Juicebox has a bunch of primer videos on his youtube channel which are pretty useful. I'm really enjoying it so far, I hope the game catches on. Oh yeah I also just ponied up for KOF on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/Thundor

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 22, 2014

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
So when is this Yata game getting released?

Quad Cape
Dec 24, 2012
I think yatagarasu is now slated for "fall", previously listed for "summer".

http://steamcommunity.com/id/_dazed I play yatagarasu and KoFXIII sometimes but I am not that great

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Ugh I'm way too busy to play KoF right now and my stick is broken anyway :(

Somebody pick Raiden and do Babby's first okizeme set-ups over and over and it'll be just like I was playing!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Shen Woo is an anagram for He Ownso. Pick Shen and now the joys of big punches

Truth. Shen hits like a freight train carrying a full load of trucks.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7FQGd_Q2E&t=73s

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Added you, I'm Rent-a-bot. I've been trying to unlock Billy and Saiki but the unlock requirements seem super finicky, anyone know what's up with that?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Also added. I should be Mavis Beacon, Zombie Slayer.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
It's good thing there are the Juicy Bits videos on the input system and button "trick", maybe I won't destroy my stick trying to do all these inputs now.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a place where these ease-of-use charts are collected (and generally agreed upon) for most fighting games? It'd be handy when starting a new game to know who is the most friendly to scrublords like me.

It's not really something that people tend to spend so much time thinking/arguing about as they do general tier lists. But it is a question people are pretty happy to answer when a newcomer asks it!

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Pomp posted:

If you haven't already checked it out, you can get everything you need off of Dream Cancel

The quick combo references tend to be good, although sometimes they're missing some basic poo poo you should know like Kyo's meterless corner jugg-it's a wiki why haven't I just added that myself.

edit:Because it appears to be impossible to register so I can edit, I guess. :confused:

The Shoryuken wiki has good info for some KOF characters as well: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII. It and DreamCancel should have all the info you need.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Kiss Ltd. doesn't want to hear your poo poo, peasants

Four days later:

Kiss Ltd posted:

Apologies for the previous comment. It was only born from the frustration of the work that went into securing the license for this game, as a way to hopefully persuade ARCsys to release other such licenses. A step at a time is all we can manage. We have removed the comment.

Licensing stuff is hard, you guys! Remember to buy the game we tried to shame you into appreciating!

Just a reminder that Guilty Gear XX #Reload came out for the original XBox over ten years ago, and even there it still managed to have netplay.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

mango gay touchies posted:

It's for AC+R but Klaig's tutorials are pretty good. Here's the first one.

desshar
Jun 4, 2011

Sent you a request, steam name is desshar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Quad Cape posted:

I think yatagarasu is now slated for "fall",

you mean, slated for "fail"

as in epic fails?