Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Holy cow KOF13 is so much more fun than Ultra SF4. Ultra just makes me annoyed playing it. Too bad online is dead.

kof always better than sf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Overbite posted:

Holy cow KOF13 is so much more fun than Ultra SF4. Ultra just makes me annoyed playing it. Too bad online is dead.

You'll be cheering about tiny breakthroughs in your lightning loops soon enough.

i did it

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Pomp posted:

You'll be cheering about tiny breakthroughs in your lightning loops soon enough.

i did it

Good. Now do the EX Iori infinite.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Pomp posted:

i did it

I did a little cheer when I was finally able to drive cancel Moon Slasher into Grand Saber. I wasn't able to repeat it but you know, baby steps.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Thwack! posted:

Good. Now do the EX Iori infinite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jp8IMcxWA

RIP that joystick

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I tried playing CVS2 netplay via PCSX2 earlier. I think there are a couple things we should have switched on first, and I suspect his PC might have been a bit on the weak side because the fps was dropping to 40 pretty often, but it was an interesting test.

https://github.com/alexsharoff/pcsx2-online

http://www.twitch.tv/around20pandas/b/564588724

Wouldn't mind testing it out properly.

note: this was UK to Florida

Press F5 to cycle through interlacing modes, F7 to cycle through screen filters. This build disables all speedhacks by default, I think you can still use them though.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 3, 2014

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I tried playing CVS2 netplay via PCSX2 earlier. I think there are a couple things we should have switched on first, and I suspect his PC might have been a bit on the weak side because the fps was dropping to 40 pretty often, but it was an interesting test.

Which scrub are you?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Scrub #2.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Playing people very near by feels pretty good doing this. My bud and I were playing CvS2 over it and had no desync or anything.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

note: this was UK to Florida

holy poo poo

i really hope this works

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Overbite posted:

I did a little cheer when I was finally able to drive cancel Moon Slasher into Grand Saber. I wasn't able to repeat it but you know, baby steps.

Nice. I was so excited that I could consistently do very basic Kyo combos ending in his exploding grab thingy in practice mode that I showed my girlfriend. She wasn't nearly as excited as I was. Now if only I could do it off of a jump-in... Then she'd be impressed! :downs:

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I feel like you'd probably get better results using Dolphin and playing the GCN version of CvS2 online.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

ShortThug posted:

I feel like you'd probably get better results using Dolphin and playing the GCN version of CvS2 online.

I have no idea if that's at all a faithful port.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
CvS2 EO changed a bunch of stuff, including giving P-groove super cancels.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

inthesto posted:

CvS2 EO changed a bunch of stuff, including giving P-groove super cancels.

Which is AWESOME. and kinda broken at high levels. but AWESOME!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It had a few characters changes, too. And removed roll cancel. I think they made S Groove charge faster.

I love CvS2. I wish it had an online release. I miss the hell out of it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really wonder if eo (without the easy inputs obviously), would be a better longstanding competitive game

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Are you really even playing the same game without roll cancels

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I think it's better without RC. CvS2 also had a huge portion of the cast usable... I think the only really bad characters off the top of my head were Dan, Kyosuke, Yun, arguably Haohmaru. I loved how Capcom drew the SNK cast. I really like KOF, but at the time of the game, the Capcom cast did the SNK crew better than SNK/Playmore did and would do probably up to KOF12. RotB Iori playable for the first time in a Capcom game... that SNK then copied. It'd be like if Violent Ken was in Ultra.

I'll admit some of SNK's sprites for Capcom characters in SvC were really good, too. Dhalsim and Dimitri's animation was incredible. I'd love to have a CvS3 with some of the updated cast - K', Abel, etc.

:siren:Nostalgia Incoming:siren:
I remember fondly how broken (and fun) K Groove was, and then Capcom goes and puts a lovely revenge meter in SF4. C Groove cancels. N Groove stock break -> level 3 tricks. Goofy rear end A Groove stuff like Ryo hovering in mid-air doing Kou'kens over and over or Col. "Rice Barrel" Guile SONI-SONI-SONI-SONI in the corner. Playing online and being able to see who the opponent is picking, then they do something stupid like pick Ratio 4 Shin Akuma. People picking the raining rooftop stage Online and then complaining about the lag. New guys trying to roll + throw the entire match. The soundtrack! The training stage themes incorporating old SF games, old KOF games, character remixes... the London stage. It's nostalgia, but CvS2 footsies were incredible, and it had my favorite neutral game in any fighter. My team at the end was like K-Geese, Terry/Joe/Rock/Todo/Iori/Random, Ryo2. I was the only K Groove in the arcade full of A/C Blanka, Sagat, Bison/Sakura/Vega teams.

CvS2 was the first fighter I took "seriously", and that's why it's my favorite. It came at just the right time that I was ready for it. Then 3S got popular at my arcade and I've been a fighting idiot ever since. I live in New Orleans, and the three arcades in my city closed after Hurricane Katrina never to re-open. The arcade's owner was such a badass, and would literally buy cabs if you asked him for it. We had Soul Calibur (II?), CvS2, SvC: Chaos, Rumblefish, GGX, 3S, SamSho (V?), MvC2, MvC1 and a ton of others. Honestly the DDR/Beat machine probably kept the arcade in business, there was a ton of goth kids who would come and play it and LARP Vampire: The Masquerade outside. The arcade was in the same neighborhood as all the bars and nightclubs, I was making tips every day, and would spend hours there becoming a regular and forming rivalries and watching character popularity wax and wane. I love fighting games, guys.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 3, 2014

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i really wonder if eo (without the easy inputs obviously), would be a better longstanding competitive game

If they toned down K-Grove as well, maybe.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Overbite posted:

True as hell. I'm trying to get my local scene to realise this, but its mostly SF4 all the way down :(

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
KOF 13 question - I was trying to do Vice's first trial (cr.B, cr.B, hcb,f+P) but didn't have a lot of luck. cl.C, hcb,f+P was fine, though. Is there some kind of trick to doing it (like doing 63,B,21,B,46+P or something) or is it just a case of doing it fast enough after the second kick and I need more practice?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Do the first cr.B then start doing a half circle back and in the middle of the motion do the other cr.B, then finish the half circle back and do f+P.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
CvS2 without roll cancel is okay at a mid level and boring as hell at a high level. Roll cancel switches those.

It was not a good game in either case. Even if you remove RC the top tier is defined by Sagat's absurd hitboxes and who has the best A-Groove bullshit. Saying that "most of the cast was usable" was akin to saying that most of the MvC3 cast was usable because everybody could kill in 2 hits (which has little to do with the actual tiers). Also, Yun was the worst he's ever been but he was mid tier-- the top 4 were just that good.

And how was K-Groove broken? It didn't have RC or any of the "make my poo poo safe" cancel options that C, A, and N Grooves had (Hrmm, I wonder what else those grooves have in common?). K could build meter for level 3's quickly, but Paint the Fence killed you just as fast while also being confirmable instead of an automatic meter activation. C had level 2 cancels for similar damage but with way more defensive options like air blocking and alpha counters.

This doesn't even touch the elephant in the room, which is that CvS2 was s l o w as gently caress. It was the SFxT of its time, and sets would take so long that by the end of the game's lifespan it wasn't uncommon for players to do best of 1 Grand Finals sets.

I mean, sure, it's a better game than SFxT, MK9, Injustice, or KI3, but talk about damning with faint praise.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

roll cancel greatly expanded the viable roster so it is ultimately a force of good.

minor truth pre-roll cancel the game was more fun than anything but wasnt taken too seriously. roll cancelling and the changes to the netural/pressure game changed that right up

JD cancels when you were really good with them were pretty much death.

Smart play + low damage (k groove being the exception) means this in most games see newer games guilty of this being mk9 old blazblu and sfxt

It was the 3rd best game in a time where the fighting game library was absolutely loving stacked. underselling CVS2 because you dont understand it on that level.

Answered.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CvS2 was 3rd best in 2001? Which of MvC2, Soul Calibur, Super Turbo, the good Jojo, Vampire, or Super Turbo would you put below it? If we're counting the whole era, that includes Soul Calibur 2 and the Guilty Gear XX series, too.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Guilty Gear was still "Guilty Gear X" which was not well regarded in 2001

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, for everything that came of the series GGX was a real piece of work. Another case of ASW taking a few revisions to get it right.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

CvS2 was 3rd best in 2001? Which of MvC2, Soul Calibur, Super Turbo, the good Jojo, Vampire, or Super Turbo would you put below it? If we're counting the whole era, that includes Soul Calibur 2 and the Guilty Gear XX series, too.

It was above soul cal jojo vampire in terms of competitive play during the time period(p.s. you said ST twice)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://store.madcatz.com/Promotions/?summer-sizzle-us

Fightstick Pro or KE for 99.99, fightstick bag for 19.99.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AkumaHokoru posted:

It was above soul cal jojo vampire in terms of competitive play during the time period(p.s. you said ST twice)

A. Oh I guess if we're talking number of players instead of game quality then whatever!
B. Super Turbo is numbers 1 and 2 on my list of good fighting games.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Broken Loose posted:

This doesn't even touch the elephant in the room, which is that CvS2 was s l o w as gently caress. It was the SFxT of its time

Never change, broken loose

:allears:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
CvS2 will always have a place in my heart because of the music and announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5caIjg9UHk

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 3, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cvs2 is an average speed game that happens to have 3/5 rounds. it does pace down in the way sf4 does when someone gets rage, or full cc, because that changes the stakes of a match the same way an ultra in vanilla sf4 did. however, unlike in sf4: you have to earn your meter for a groove, and k groove expires, and a groove can force its damage, which makes it a lot less dumb.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 3, 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

A. Oh I guess if we're talking number of players instead of game quality then whatever!
B. Super Turbo is numbers 1 and 2 on my list of good fighting games.

the gently caress you think my personal number 1 is? sf4? ha

we were discussing a time period not overall.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

cvs2 is an average speed game that happens to have 3/5 rounds.

pretty much this, it's no slower than any 3v3 KoF and nobody gives those games poo poo for being "slow". They do take longer, but they're not slow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Kuvo posted:

CvS2 will always have a place in my heart because of the music and announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5caIjg9UHk

I've always felt that compared to CvS1, the music in CvS2 was mostly embarrassingly bad.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

A.o.D. posted:

I've always felt that compared to CvS1, the music in CvS2 was mostly embarrassingly bad.

Source your quotes

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Here's the full sized scans of El from the new Arcadia Dengeki: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2e20bgj44p86vz9/076-077.png

She attacks you with champagne and a wedding cake, apparently.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Here's the full sized scans of El and Sin from the new Arcadia: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2e20bgj44p86vz9/076-077.png

She attacks you with champagne and a wedding cake, apparently.

I hope that super/IK is called Until Death Do Us Part or something similar.

• Locked thread