Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pomp posted:

It's 3rd Strike the only one of those rereleases with GGPO?

Darkstalkers Resurrection has GGPO too. So does Marvel: Origins, but that's not on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

EightFlyingCars posted:

The events didn't have their own displays for use that weren't awful laggy LCDs? I'm genuinely curious because I figured that an event organized by FG fans would already have adequate displays for people to use.

Melee came out a year or two before the HDMI port was invented, and the most common display at tournaments is a computer monitor, not a TV.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pokecapn posted:

Melee came out a year or two before the HDMI port was invented, and the most common display at tournaments is a computer monitor, not a TV.

Yeah, I know that there is a Wii HDMI converter though.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rocksoul-Wii-to-HDMI-Converter-Nintendo-Wii/23988567

Everyone played it on jailbroken Wiis since they were playing Project M.

mountainmanjed
Apr 2, 2013

iastudent posted:

Champion Edition is a Well Programmed Game.

This happened when I tried to SPD Ryu. We were stuck in that position the rest of the round.

It gets worse in the later games of sf2.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

pokecapn posted:

Couldn't the Gamecube push 720p natively through component cables?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

It was 480p and and a seperate 16:9 widescreen mode, and only certain games supported either, let alone both.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Arzachel posted:

I think just 480i/p

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pomp posted:

It was 480p and and a seperate 16:9 widescreen mode, and only certain games supported either, let alone both.

Yeah melee does support 480p, that does reduce some of the upscaling lag on larger resolution displays, but I'm sure it's still better on a CRT.

Gamecube definitely didn't do 720p, neither did Wii.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

uncleKitchener posted:

It's already been a year since the release of 5U, so Team Ninja should have enough info as to what needs addressing.

What in your opinion do you think needs the most addressing? What kind of character balance shake ups do you expect/hope for? Just curious.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit

FutureCop posted:

To answer your question, I recently bought UNIEL and the online seems fairly active. When I go into Ranked, I usually only need to wait 10 seconds or so until I'm in a fight, and I've tried that both in the morning and at night. Netcode seems good so far as well, though I do get some people with 0 bars that give the fight considerable lag. My sample size is pretty small at the moment since I just started, so I can't comment much more.

I also just picked up UNIEL and would love people to play with, I'm completely terrible but the game's super fun. My PSN is Isson19 if anyone new wants to learn together, or anyone good wants free wins.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
More YAOC:

Here's another fun and really damaging (20K meterless) for White Dudley.
2C or Dxx236B~D, 236B~C, 236B~D, 236B~A (reset) or 623C (knockdown) or Super (damage)

Also found that in the corner ending a juggle with 623B+D which will cause a 'ground bounce' which can be followed up with a D to reset.

I hope someone at The Runback picks up this fella and punches some faces. Oh well.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Trykt posted:

What in your opinion do you think needs the most addressing? What kind of character balance shake ups do you expect/hope for? Just curious.

Not that you asked me but, personally I'd like to see hayabusa normalized and either a speed buff or a range buff to nyotengu. Right now she's the slowest character in the game with a 14 frame jab and almost no defensive game when pressured. Sarah, who is currently the best character in the game, has an almost 9-1 match up against her(online that is, I feel it drops to a 7-3 offline) because of Nyotengu's slow speed. As for Hayabusa, he's got a couple of moves that are +2/+3 on block when they should fairly negative on block.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I hope you aren't curious anymore Trykt..

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Trykt posted:

A couple of characters like Bass, Rachel and NyoTengu could use some help. Eliot is also lacking in some areas. DOA is pretty much the only 3D game where the scale system for determining the speed of a character depending on their weight class, damage output and throw speed which affects their standard pokes. Yeah, I'm aware of Astaroth, which makes him kinda of special, but then again his range is great and his throws are all Tekken carch throws with mixups at standard speed, so he can't be used as a good comparison with the slow DOA characters.

For example, NyoTengu, who is a mid weight characer, has an 11i high poke which is -12 on block, punishable by 95% of throw in the game. Her jab is 14, her fastest mid is 15i and her faster low is also 15 or 14, which is actually a string. Compare this with a character like Christie who has a 9i jab, 11i mid and I think a 14i 2p low. There is a good reason why the original Tengu was so heavy and that was his speed disadvantage, but he made up for it with really good damage and meaningful frame advantage on block before he was destroyed in DOA4.

Bass also has a major problem as prior to NyoTengu's release, he was the slowest character in the game, with 12i high poke, 13i jab, 14i mid and 16i standing low and 17i 2P. To be fair, he's a heavy weight and he's really good at dealing damage if you use all his good tools. He also has really good guard break and benefits from safety and a decent mid-range game. However, in a game where you have to be at +3 to even be able to trade with a 9i jab, it becomes difficult because a Bass player has to keep frame data in mind at all times which a Christie player can outright ignore that if she goes unpunished. Maintaining momentum with him is sometimes just too much of a hassle and you always have to guess right. Some top players I played against genuinely believe he's the worst character in the game. I don't think that's true, but that's their opinion. He doesn't have a very high success rate, but not many people don't know how to use him right or if at all. He's too unorthodox.

It's the same problem with the Hugo and Chun Li matchup in 3rd strike (I personally think it's a poo poo game, but that's for another discussion). Just because you have a fast SPD and parries, slaps, good pokes, etc., doesn't mean that you're not going to have plenty of problems simply approaching Chun Li. You have to play all your cards right and not make a single mistake or you lose all that momentum.

Rachel was broken in early builds of the game, but was severely nerfed to the point that she outright boring to play.

I don't think they'll actually address these because they could've done that since DOA5 vanilla and there are people in the development team who have their own biases and won't let this happen. These aren't necessarily major issue, but it would make the game much more varied in the terms of character usage if they do address them.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Not that you asked me but, personally I'd like to see hayabusa normalized and either a speed buff or a range buff to nyotengu. Right now she's the slowest character in the game with a 14 frame jab and almost no defensive game when pressured. Sarah, who is currently the best character in the game, has an almost 9-1 match up against her(online that is, I feel it drops to a 7-3 offline) because of Nyotengu's slow speed. As for Hayabusa, he's got a couple of moves that are +2/+3 on block when they should fairly negative on block.

It's really not a 9-1 MU, but it can still be very hard for NyoTengu when she's close. You need to know more about Sarah than your own character to succeed in the match.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 18, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have never played the game before.
If Sarah is the best character, how come I dont see her in top 8s. Are match ups not as one-sided in this game and the best character isnt that much better than the worst?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

12 minutes of the new Xrd characters in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8iDwKqqsk

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really hope Holy Orders 3 and Communication (Sin vs Ky) are not the only GG2 tracks in the game because that whole soundtrack loving owned despite how bad the game was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogU1zLRKDhs

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

New trailer too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5gPKzlyqw

Elphelt looks really drat cool.

Leo looks like a really likely candidate for the next DLC character down the road too, judging by the amount of screentime he's getting.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Crap I really want to get Xrd. Never really played a GG before though, even though I have AC +R or whatever on PS3.

Guess I should play that to get ready for this/

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You probably should but they'll be scaling back several mechanics (EX moves and Slashback to name a few things) so keep that in mind. It'll still give you a general idea of what the returning characters will be like though.

XRD will own

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

New trailer too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5gPKzlyqw

Elphelt looks really drat cool.

Leo looks like a really likely candidate for the next DLC character down the road too, judging by the amount of screentime he's getting.

Is Leo the blond guy? I thought Leo was the big dog thing from Isuka?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Munsun posted:

yes, and the isuka character is called leopaldon

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Munsun posted:

That's Leopaldon. Leo seems to be a new character? Or at least I can't find a single thing about him.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Which Guilty Gear(s) has the best soundtrack?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

S.J. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18LUfawxS0

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Policenaut posted:

60FPS version on Nico: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1410974100

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Policenaut posted:

Hype rising. So that's two fighting games to get for PS4 in early 2015. Graphics look so good too. I always kind of sucked at GG but loved the setting/2D graphics and the different movesets and the cell shaded 3D just looks great.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

S.J. posted:

I've always been partial to the Korean #R soundtrack, i.e. the one that Ishiwatari didn't compose.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJqEGxlNHSQ

inthesto posted:

I've always been partial to the Korean #R soundtrack, i.e. the one that Ishiwatari didn't compose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38FM0s2X_yY

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFTY4ri-ys

cmon zand post the actual music

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i impored the koread version OF #r because i had heard the xx music so much i was sick of it

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i impored the koread version OF #r because i had heard the xx music so much i was sick of it

go to sleep heanki

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So I got BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend a while back for the Vita and never played it much. If I want to go through the story mode, should I get Calamity Trigger and play that first instead? Or is the compressed story mode just fine?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oblomov posted:

So I got BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend a while back for the Vita and never played it much. If I want to go through the story mode, should I get Calamity Trigger and play that first instead? Or is the compressed story mode just fine?

ill summarize the plot of blazblue for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizCMO-mI1Q

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you dont want to go through the story mode

i say this as someone who knows the plot intimately and is somewhat invested in it

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I always liked ABA's theme. :unsmith:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Sounds good, then I'll just mess around with it on the Vita. Waiting for P4AU, Guilty Gear Xrd and DOA5 PS4 anyway. Props for the the Rocky Horror link!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Couple of matches with El/Sin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiuUE1smi34

Nothing real exciting but you can get a basic idea on chains and how their moves behave. And see Elphelt's win pose. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I doubt I'll ever play Xrd if it's going to be Sony exclusive forever. Heard nothing but bad things with PS3 and online fighters, and I'm not buying a PS4 for the sake of one game. I bet I could get an nVidia 900 series for that much.

• Locked thread