Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Sade posted:

Damage is wayyyyyy low in 1v1 matches. 4 and a half minutes is a really long time for 3 rounds of any fighting game.

I take it you've never played IaMP :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

interrodactyl posted:

Play Immaterial and Missing Power. (There's maybe 100 people in the US who still play this game. It owns.)

Less. It does own though, although the "easy to get into" part is tenuous at best.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

washow posted:

lovely old games required like 50 cents to play whereas you only need 10cents to play a game in korea.

100 won arcade machines, how I miss thee. You couldn't walk 50ft without tripping over some pc-bang or arcade in Seoul. I wasn't really into fighting games at the time though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

This game is fully endorsed by the poverty crowd.
yomimatches, distilled to its purest essence.
http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Divekick

Whoever wrote that tierlist is sadly misinformed, though.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Looks neat, but I hope the homing slow projectiles don't ruin it. What's the name of the game?

If I remember right, the game has some sort of graze mechanic that lets you dash through projectiles.

If you're familiar with IaMP's bullet and graze mechanics (yeah right...), something like that but much more restricted.
Speaking of which, IaMP's mechanics were pretty unique. Amusingly, its also been hacked to have pretty much the best fighting game netcode outside of ggpo.
I keep hoping for a new one. Sadly, everything tasofro makes took a sharp nosedive after efz and iamp.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Buhbuhj posted:

Yeah, 13.5 isn't shaping up to be a very good fg from what I can tell. Nice graphics and animation, though.

General consensus seems to be that it looks like hot garbage.

Although, given that EFZ was a guilty gear clone, it looks like they're trying to clone astra superstars this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUjUPzIfBk&t=48s

astra superstars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ocpHMQTiQ&t=200s

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Buhbuhj posted:

Goonsgarden iamp tourney tonight lets go.

I would un-ironically take part in this.

The game really does have a single digit playerbase outside of japan, though.

Veib posted:

According to the only person I know who plays it it's the only fighting game where projectiles really matter as a tool to control space.

This is really wrong, but bullets do work pretty differently compared to other games, due to the graze mechanic. Its a pretty unique game.
Also has a character that can put more bullets on screen than morrigan, has no less than 5 different infinites, that barely manages to be mid tier.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 15, 2013

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Dias posted:

drat, Divekick has better netcode than 90% of the FGs in the market.

To be fair, this isn't particularly a high bar.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Gutcruncher posted:

I tried playing CvS2 on a dancepad. It was an interesting experience everyone should try at least once.

I tried to play on an old Logitech wingman flightstick once. That was an experience.
Now if only I could find that Microsoft flightstick pro.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Jmcrofts posted:

They're not "pre-rendered" in the sense that it's like playing back a video, but the xyz coordinates of the different parts of the character models (and more importantly the hitboxes) are pre-defined by each animation routine. It also helps to think of GGPO as using savestates to do a rollback, rather than actually "rewinding" the onscreen actions.

Your overall point is correct, but just wanted to clarify a few things. Generally skeletal animation is defined in terms of an actual skeleton or armature.
You have a polygonal mesh, with each vertex having a weight for how much they are affected by each bone.
A pose for an armature is a set describing all the bone's relative orientations to each other (usually a lot more to this, with inverse and forward kinematics, but that's a basic description).

An animation can the thought of as a set of keyframes, where each keyframe is a description of the pose of the armature at a given frame. This is not usually per frame, but only for extreme poses, and additional ones in between for smoother motion. The game engine, or animation system, will interpolate the poses from keyframes for the in between frames, either linearly, or on some kind of curve.
Even for mocap data, this is generally true. Some skeletal model is fit to the mocap data (or its already skeletal).

Storing positions for each vertex per frame of animation would be amazingly memory expensive, and also inflexible. This is sometimes done for limited subsets like the face, where additional animation is specified with morph targets, for expressions, muscle movements, and things that would be fairly hard to represent with bone deformations.
Even in this case, you usually have a set of positions for each target, and a weight for each target, so what actually gets animated are these parameters.

This is deterministic given a pose for the armature, so there is no playing "back" or "forwards."

The things that are hard to "reverse" are things that depend on physics or simulation. Particle effects with physics, cloth simulation, often small ancillary animations like things attached to characters.
An aside: skeletal animations assume that the overall topology of the mesh doesn't change. This is why people say that animating characters like venom etc that have really extreme changes going on are difficult to do, or would take a lot of memory in a 3d game engine.

In either the 2D or 3D case, even if the animations are easily "savestate-able," the game engine still has to be built with rollbacks, or savestates in mind, even with pure skeletal or sprite animation.
Old games / emulated games, stuff on ggpo, caster games, etc, are sometimes easier because to save load state, you can grab the game's running memory (at least the portion of it with relevant data), and save and load that.
This isn't usually feasible for modern games, so the actual engine needs to support some concept of loading and saving state.

There are some other interesting choices as well. If there is animation etc going on in the background, does the background get rolled back with the characters? Is there interaction between the characters and the background? What happens to sounds that were playing?

tldr: Rollbacks are both easier and harder in some ways than people usually think about.
Nothing above was actually interesting and I now regret writing it all, but check out these links for some actually interesting stuff regarding netplay and rollbacks.

Understanding Fighting Game Networking
How I didn’t clip the sound effects

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Beat me to it :(. Such a silly mode.

Man, I just want to see someone try this in a match, screw up the setup afterwards, and have the other guy win with some ridiculous team combo.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

mountainmanjed posted:

Sure it slows down instead of skipping like rollback forcing you to add input delay, but having it at input delay at 3 pretty much allows me to play most of the North America.

Three frame input delay feels noticeable unresponsive.

Generally, US West to East coast is ~4 frames, 3 if lucky.

For a fast paced game (or even for a slow paced game), this really ends up feeling terrible.
It also skews things towards brainless offense, because lots of things become un-reactable.

Adjusting combos is actually one of the least impactful things about playing with input delay.

This is all assuming even decently implemented delay based netcode.
I have no idea how umvc3 manages to have 1/3 second delay when playing within the same state.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
e: whoops

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

miscellaneous14 posted:

I mean, when I was looking through a glossary of fighting game terms earlier, I found out that apparently some people think in-air blocking is cowardly and refer to it as "chicken blocking", which I didn't even know was a topic of contention.

Ummm....what?

Chicken blocking is just the general term for blocking in the air, usually to avoid a high low mixup.
I don't know specifically why its called "chicken" blocking, but there's nothing contentious about it...
mvc3 players might say something like "UP BACK" or whatever, but the idea is the same.

Its usefulness depends on the mechanics of the particular game being played. Its most commonly used to avoid high/low mixups, but it can also be useful to block certain types of moves just off the ground, because usually hitting the ground will cancel any remaining blockstun, and potentially allow you to act much earlier and punish moves that would otherwise be safe if blocked on the ground. Among other things.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

interrodactyl posted:

Arcade only in glorious nippon. It's by French Bread, so we probably won't see a US release for a while. Maybe when we finally do, it'll be a good game since it'll be on it's 5th revision or some poo poo like that.

I think you meant when its released, it will be only as extra content on a blu ray for some random as hell overpriced anime video only available in limited runs from a single convention in japan that's impossible to import and then never printed again.

That sounds about right.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Clearly, the real reason poverty game players are poor is that they spend all their time making absurdly detailed and useful wikis for games played by 10 people :)

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Main_Page

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

rivals posted:

Plz the only person ever to play those games is interro.

rip iamp.

Iamp netplay is still kicking. Well, it was until a few months ago. Still gets played occasionally.
The netplay client is good enough to play pretty well against the japanese players if you're on the west coast. Still works with the east coast, with some input delay. Its actually probably one of the better netplay clients for any game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m6JN4lIaB0

Good game that has way, way different mechanics than every other fighting game.
Its also pretty hard to get into at this point because even the worst of the people still playing will utterly dismantle new players.

Also, interro doesn't play iamp :smug:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
There actually was a US netplay tourney a while back, and some of the matches were streamed:
http://www.twitch.tv/animatorzed/b/350299170

Starting around 2:40 here, although twitch seems a bit bjorked unless you start around 3:00.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Redmark posted:

I did my best to get good at the game and I'm fine with getting murdered, but when it got to the point where I can read whole chapters of books while waiting for someone to murder me it became too :effort:

Yeah, this happens sometimes. Mostly, its just that people got tired of playing the same handful of players that are still around. Usually when new people show up, people magically materialize out of the aether, since its something different :).
Its definitely mostly petered out though, even compared to where it was last year.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ghostpilot posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, fighters using 3D models as opposed to sprites prevents the use of GGPO due to its implementation of rollback netcode. Based on that it seems that the fighters that GGPO would be applicable to these days would be in the minority.

I'm not sure if that would apply to sprite-based fighters with 3d backgrounds, however.

I wrote an effortpost a while ago that tried to explain what the main issues were that I'll try to track down.

The tldr version was that its both easier, and harder than people think it is. Main issue is that the game engine needs to be built with it explicitly in mind.
Emulated games get around this because you can easily "save state" just by dumping the full memory representation of the game with reasonable size / performance for most arcade games, and this is almost certainly not possible for any modern native game.

e: found my previous post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433271&userid=129998#post414730766

It doesn't answer your question directly, but there are some relevant points. In particular, the links at the end are good reads for anyone interested in some more details of rollback based netcode.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 3, 2013

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Immaterial and Missing Power is, in fact, the best game. Also, the best netcode.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Broken Loose posted:

oh my god this is how you're supposed to play with the body pillow stick?? i take back everything bad i ever said about the anime community

Whelp, that explains the mystery of the otherwise nonsensical button layout from the previous picture.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Equilibrium posted:

Just get a DS3 or DS4 and use Xinput Wrapper for PC drivers.

It would be hard to get one of those working with an xbox, which was a stated goal :)

Other than that, I agree though. I use a ps3 pad with xinputwrapper for most pc games that use a controller.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Mr. Neutron posted:

I thought about the X360 controller with the transforming DPAD, has anyone tried that? Is it better than the standard controller?

I did try one of these on a friend's xbox to play super meat boy.
In both configurations, it still felt kind of garbage to use for precise inputs

Note that I don't play fighting games on pad, but I am a bit picky about good dpads for other games.

The main issue with the 360 pads isn't the faceplate anyways. Its the fact that the actual pcb contacts are on the same level as the base of the sticks, which is necessarily far away from the actual surface of the dpad. This requires the dpad to have a long stalk which is the main reason it generally feels mushy, has indistinct directions, and travel time between rapid left/right switching.

The PS3 / PS4 and XB1 pads have a separate raised pcb layer right under the dpad which improves quality significantly.
Hell, even the OUYA pad does this (although it's steaming garbage for innumerable other reasons :) )

Granted, other people have reported different experiences with the alternate 360 pad, so your mileage may vary.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

S-Alpha posted:

At least people actually kinda play MK. Melty died years ago, and UNIEL is coming out at a horrible time, in close proximity to a bunch of heavy hitters. Poor French Bread. :smith:

Their method of "releasing" the latest version of melty on the PC is still one of the most astoundingly obtuse and baffling things. I played a little bit of mbac way back and would have been willing to give melty another shot, but there's no way I'm pursuing any of the ways to actually get a copy of the latest one.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Endorph posted:

mid tier: iamp

I'd fight you, but windjammers is pretty cool.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ultima66 posted:

EFZ has 1 button throws.

IaMP has no throws at all. Clearly the best game.
Okay technically one character has a command grab.

IaMP's system really is quite unique, though. It tosses out the standard attack/block/throw trinity and has something more like attack/bullet/graze. Kind of a gross simplification, but it plays really differently than any other game.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

interrodactyl posted:

Not only does Youmu have the only command grab, she has a command grab infinite~

2p only and it literally does 0 damage since the grab itself doesn't do damage, just puts the opponent into a reeling state.

Now Patchouli has no less than 5 separate infinites, can put enough bullets on screen to make umvc3 morrigan look impotent, and still manages to only be mid tier :)

Most of the infinites are impractical, and scaling makes them do hardly more damage than the bnb. The graze mechanics make the function of bullets in IaMP very different than in any other game.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Endorph posted:

what's the opinion on fate/unlimited codes

Imagine 4 jump canceled dp's, standing on the edge of a cliff...

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

AkumaHokoru posted:

Wait Wait last one I promise.

What? No, this is just starting.

Play IaMP, its the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m6JN4lIaB0

Hmm, not poverty enough? Okay lets take a step back to EFZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ4Pa5WB6zI

No? Not peak poverty? Well, E's Laf already got covered so here's some wanwan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W37qRg-rWc
At this level, we've reached the point where these characters don't even show up on saltybet. Impressive.

Still not enough!? Well, if we're down here anyways, might as well pull out MKV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1BB_15Y7o
Can't even find a non-cpu match video when you're scraping this low into the barrel.

And like, Daemon Bride I guess, which now that I'm remembering it is infinitely better than MKV, but now too lazy to look for more videos and if you actually watched all of those, anime is probably bleeding out of your ears by now.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Kuvo posted:

"party game" folder with nidhogg/samurai gunn/divekick/windjammers/towerfall ascension.

I have basically the same list of local multiplayer games that get dragged out whenever people are over for board games, etc. Samurai gunn and nidhogg probably get pulled out the most often.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Checking in with the monthly reminder that IaMP is better than <insert currently discussed game here>.

Short combos, pressure strings with bullet cancels and high jump cancels are open ended and varied, the best dash input scheme, one of the best / most interesting meter systems with the spirit bar (recharges quickly, opponents can do direct damage too it, is utilized by nearly everything) that forces a really interesting pacing to matches, first of the caster netplay games to get rollback based netcode.

Ground combos are usually very short. Most bnb's and high damage combos are based on situational air to air setups, and one of the primary goal of pressure strings and ground hits is to try and set up these situations instead of directly opening up for damage.
Best "burst" like mechanic. Rechargeable bombs act like bursts, but only at neutral (eg: GG blue burst), during a combo (eg: gold burst), or during blockstun. Cannot burst out of hit. Regaining bombs requires points earned by cancelling opponent bullets or knockdowns.

Bullet / graze system forms an entirely different core gameplay loop than the traditional attack/block/throw system that every other game uses.
Bullet cancel system, and the projectile / graze focus makes the actual pace of making decisions very high compared to many games, even though most normals are on average slower than most games.

Most importantly, it has by far the most satisfying and infuriating counterhit noise and particle effect. Guaranteed to instill absolute rage in your opponent.

Minor problem in that trying to get into the game now against the few people still playing will make you feel like you, your family, and any future children yet to be born were brutally murdered. Eh, details.
And like most anime-ish games, the girl with the sword is an rear end in a top hat (though not top tier).

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Spermgod posted:

a single match in that game lasts 10 minutes

This hasn't been true since 2009. Metagame has changed quite a bit since then.
They're not short, granted. Definitely longer than most games. But the super long matches rarely happen anymore as pressure and offense have gotten very strong, and pure keepaway is basically impossible against someone familiar with the movement mechanics.

NuclearPotato posted:

So, why IaMP, and not SWR/Hisoutensoku?

Basically a thousand small reasons. The randomness is a bit overstated. I never got that into it them, but the general feelings those who did and came back are: Its more the openness / largeness of stages, repeated homogenizing of anything interesting through patches, and changes / differences to how pressure mechanics / defense work and the much weaker penalties for getting guardcrushed. Basically the flow of matches at medium / higher levels just doesn't feel as good.
The random elements are icing on the cake, but not really the core issue people ended up having.

SWR/Soku are better if you want to see your favorite frilly hat girl put different colors on the screen, though. They're not really bad, they just lose a lot of what made IaMP feel really interesting somehow.

Ultima66 posted:

SWR originally was really really lovely. Weather sucked, the dash out of blockstun mechanic was horrible for gameplay, lots of things were very broken, etc. It was like Brawl to IaMP as Melee. Soku and later patches addressed a lot of problems, kind of like Project M did for Brawl, but that doesn't keep IaMP/Melee from being the much better game overall.

Yeah, that's a decent summary. The weird interaction between more prevalent seamless blockstrings necessitating border escape (dash out of block), the low penalties for border escape, the resulting emphasis on escape baiting, and all that combined with mid to fullscreen bullets being basically worthless due to screen size and 8 way dash and fly created a weird flow.
Not all of that is still in after the latest patches.

e:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's really more than a minor issue. The game's player skill curve is loving gigantic, and most of the stuff you know from other fighting games doesn't even apply to IaMP. Really cool game though.

Yeah, I know. I was being a bit facetious there. Its a ridiculous mountain to climb.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 11, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Redmark posted:

but 'grinding' in IaMP is like an hour of two of doing actual work and then someone connects but your brain is stuck in programming mode and then you die.

Umm, well, you see, its really more like...
Actually yeah...

Its like, 5 people at most and our schedules don't even line up and we all miss each other. Whelp.
:negative:

Redmark posted:

On the other hand mauve is a wizard or something because unlike every other game I've played, the netplay consistently works so that was a huge bonus.

This is very true.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

taser rates posted:

So uh, Eternal Fighter Zero now has rollback netplay. http://www.mediafire.com/download/el1tmobq8v87vr8/EfzRevival.7z

Man, when I think of IaMP being an old game...

That said, it has at least one character that hits people with books, so maybe I should try and get this game running on a non-ancient OS.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

taser rates posted:

That patch actually makes it work effortlessly on any OS now unless I'm mistaken, you don't need the windower anymore.

Neat, I'll definitely give it a shot soon then.

Leviathean posted:

Finally, all that time working on the EFZ wiki became slightly relevant again!

I wrote far too many words on the iamp wiki that no one will ever read :negative:

Its actually amusing how much detailed wiki info exists for games no one plays vs a lot of mainstream games where info is scattered and most of the centralized resources are garbage.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Melty Blood has appeared at EVO twice and clearly doesn't qualify for this categorization :smugdog:

That said, I think the info was better around the AC days, and kind of fell off with the later versions. Especially with the latest version being stupidly impossible to acquire.

ZerodotJander posted:

It's because for unpopular games you less frequently encounter new players asking stupid questions without any attempt to do even preliminary research on their own, thereby killing your desire to ever help anybody.

Instead you get new players complaining about why its so hard to input commands on a literal numpad.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

inthesto posted:

Frankly, I'm just surprised there isn't a fighting game where all the characters are FGC people yet

It's clear that the west needs its own version of Secret Meeting 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXS4d0XIuQ

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
So hey, about that IaMP :)

Mizuumi Kouryuusen: Immaterial and Missing Power 10th anniversary event

Some of the current Japanese players are organizing a Japan vs West netplay tournament to celebrate IaMP's 10th anniversary.
Event will be held this Saturday night on Jan 31st.

I'll post again day of, but figured I'd let people here know about the event.
We'll be running some casuals today if you want a preview.

What:
West vs Japan 7v7 netplay exhibition tournament
Full details here: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/User:Mauve/MizuumiKouryuusen

When:
Saturday, January 31st 2015, 7PM PST / 10PM EST

Where:
I'll be streaming the english language side of the event here:
http://www.twitch.tv/animatorzed

Commentary will be fairly low key, but we'll try to explain what we can. Most of the participants on our side will be in and out of skype during the event. I'll also be playing during the event.
I'll be running a short test stream tonight (right now) with some casuals so if you want to check out a bit of the game ahead of the event feel free to drop by.
Any technical feedback welcome too, since we're trying to make sure everything works ahead of the event.
Today's stream is over, check out the actual event on Saturday!

Format:
Waseda style.

quote:

What this means is that, for teams A and B, the first player of A will fight the first player of B, then the second player of A will fight the second player of B, and so on until everyone's played. Then the survivors are kept and we got to the next round, continue until no one's left

No character lock
Random order pick on both sides.

Other thoughts:

Japan has some absolute monsters on their side, but we should be able to make a decent accounting of ourselves and the Waseda format will guarantee that everybody gets to play at least once.

Its a netplay tournament between the US (plus one EU expat) and Japan, so a few matches will be played between Japan and the East Coast. Thankfully, IaMP actually has quite fantastic netplay via rollcaster, courtesy of mauve, who is also organizing the event on our side and will be playing in the tourney.

What the heck is IaMP?
- Bullet heavy 2d fighting game by Tasofro, released as Touhou 7.5

What the heck is Mizuumi?
- Wiki/IRC community for every poverty game under the sun: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Main_Page

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

interrodactyl posted:

mauve's alter ego

Sorry, no time to proofread when I'm filling the screen with more bullets than Morrigan could dream of :)

• Locked thread