Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is this coming out in US/UK or just Japan?
Honestly, I think if they market a Gundam VOOT-alike properly they could probably even build up some kind of proper scene for it.

The Gundam VS series has had legit scene for a very long time in Japan. I used to upload tournament footage for GvGN, but I dislike this new game so I haven't been bothering. If you're interested, Here's a tournament with (japanese) commentary. GvGN was a very deep game with a good competitive scene, but Extreme VS is somewhat dumbed down and isn't nearly as interesting to watch IMO. It does look loving glorious though.

Gundam VS series has an old tradition of alternating between good games and terrible games. Gundam vs Gundam was terrible, NEXT was fantastic, EXTREME looks pretty bad and we'll have good sequel next hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

It looks like a slower VOOT with like three times the anime, generic-looking robots, and HUD elements. It doesn't look bad, I'd just rather play VOOT. Also VOOT is really well balanced, it's like the Guilty Gear of robot games.

VS is completely different from VOOT. High-level play involves boost management, boost manipulation, and boost judgement. The whole game revolves around the boost bar, how much of it you use for various techniques, and trying to figure out how much boost the enemy has, what his options are, and whether you can commit to a serious attack or not. VOOT is a much faster game revolving more around pure technique, skill and reactions, whereas VS is more about reading and judging (both) your opponents. Although it's a lot slower then VOOT even now, VS used to be atrociously slow. Check out RvZ2, which is like torture to play these days. But it was also a lot deeper and even more meticulous than the current VS games, since everything carried a risk as there was no cancel system. GvGN added the "NEXT dash" which is a free cancel that costs a chunk of boost, but before it was added the series was played extremely slowly and cautiously.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl87g9gnmm4

This is a great MB match, showcasing F-PCiel, who is currently Yun-levels of broken but getting the nerfbat soon, VS C-Roa, who was total trash in previous versions of the game and is still something of an unknown.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

PalmTreeFun posted:

Are the moon things like grooves in CvS2, or are they more like Samurai Shodown 4 Slash/Bust?

It varies from character to character, but generally the level of difference in core moveset is about the same as, say, Ryu and Evil Ryu in AE. The same basic character but due to a few of normal/special changes the way they're played changes dramatically. It also fucks with core gameplay mechanics, for example Full Moon can hold all 3 buttons to charge meter, but cannot reverse beat (they can only cancel mvc-style lighter to stronger attacks, whereas other styles can cancel nearly anything into anything).

One notable thing is that standard japanese tournament rules force you to stay with one character, but allow you to change moon-style, even after winning. Some characters only have 1 or 2 viable moon-styles (although fb are working hard to increase viability of all moons) but most are viable in all 3 styles and choosing comes down to a balance of personal preference and counterpicking.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

At least P-ciels reversal looks parryable Red arc's was/is a blockable command throw reversal that was +3 on block and dashed across 2/3 the screen and you couldn't parry it. Did I mention you could combo off of it?

I don't recall any version of MB where Warc EX teleport wasn't sheidable or had any invincibility at all. It was like vulnerable for about 2-3f after flash, but yes puts her in a nice position on block. It's certainly not a reversal though, Warc's reversal is 236C, at least in MBAC and MBAA C-moon.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

What the hell ever happened to that planned console port of MBAACC, anyways? I still play AC every now and again, but all the new poo poo really makes me want to play it.

Well, if nothing else, the PC port will be out in a while, but it's too bad there's no netplay on it.

It should end up with netplay soon-ish after release, the guy who did the MBAC netplay has expressed an interest.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEm0bcnQKwU&t=903s

In my ongoing bid to generate some more hype for the upcoming PC release of MBAA, here's C-Arc smashing the gently caress out of C-Powered Ciel.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Whats different about Melty Blood AA Current Code vs regualar Melty Blood AA? Ive been meaning to pick up AA for PS2 and wanting to wait for Current Code hoping it would cause the PS2 one to drop in price, but if Current Code is a significant improvement Ill just bite the bullet and throw my money away.

Will it be buyable alone, or would I actually need to buy the Carnival Phantasm bluray?

The PC version we're getting is 4 revisions along from the PS2 version. After the PS2 version we had MBAA ver.A, Current Code, Current Code 1.05, and we'll be getting 1.07. There's quite a lot of differences, and if you're intending to actually play the game with friends there's not much point to buying the PS2 version much like there's little point to buying SF4 or BBCT these days.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I tend to play with an LS-55 because the JLF feels kind of tight and cramped to me, but the LS-55 is hard to play anime games with cause its a fair bit slower for dashing and IADing and all this other stuff.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Kind of old news now, but Komidol was in Japan to attend the MB Hydra Championships and speak to the developers about the game's future outside of Japan. You should probably read this if you have even the slightest interest in Melty, some interesting stuff and also plenty of fun tidbits about the best Melty players in Japan.

Here's the important part:

quote:

Me and Korean CL went into this discussion with Manabe with the same idea – we want to bring Melty to a larger scale outside of Japan, and have Ecole considering more institutions for melty that stronger fighting games have in the world today (along the lines of popularity that Street Fighter and Blaz Blue have).

First we expressed our reluctance about the PC release of Current Code v1.07, positive that the piracy would not be good for the game. We wanted to see a release for the game on console, and ask what plans Ecole had for something like that in the future.
I expressed to Manabe that America even had the bigger of issue of being a huge country where lag would be a huge problem.
I told him directly about how Evo was a huge chance for advertisement and promote the game, how hard we struggled to get it there, and that there is a real English market who wants to buy this game if those options were considered.
Korean CL also brought up how difficult the tournament scene was for PC releases, how people would show up to tournaments and not know how to use arcade sticks (they have cabs in Korea), and how the tournament scene for this game is suffering outside of Japan.
We both affirmed that a PS3 release, even if not in English, would be better because PS3 is not region locked the way that PS2 is. I explained to him the difficult process of accessing the game in America because of the need for Japanese PS2′s (of course I didn’t mention we usually mod our stuff). It was a little bumpy but I think we got all our major points across to him.
We also asked about the possibilities of net play for MBAACCPC.

Here is what we got back from him.

Every copy of MBAACCPC will come with a key issued to each copy of the game in order to install the game. This is to prevent pirating. - Ecole is aware of the netplay situation and what happened with MBAC.
They strongly intend to implement MBAACCPC with netplay. It will either be directly available at launch, or be patched into the game later. They will have a central server to find matches, but are still considering options like a ranking system. Those also may be implemented in later patches. You *will* need aforementioned key to access these functions. He told us this directly, and firmly. For those of you who remember the no-jump doujin fighter Gleam of Force (also by French Bread), I believe the netplay will be coded similarly since it also used a serial key and match system. Since there is a central server planned, we asked him to implement a direct play available as well to ease the lag for foreigners (French Bread was planning the exact opposite of this.)
There is a lot of corporate politics around Melty Blood. Frenchbread (which is a small developer and as they stated in their last NicoNico Douga cast, not considering the foreign market), Ecole (which doesn’t have a significant amount of funds to promote internationally), and TypeMoon (which is not convinced that it’s influence extends internationally) are all very hesistant at this time to put out an English release or PS3 release at this time. Those are all very resource heavy and very costly, and it would be a do-or-die risk for them as a business to make a release that big at this point in time.
However, it is *not* impossible. He said while looking at the report and hearing about Evo he was *very* surprised at the support abroad for Melty Blood. Manabe said he would want to consider further options for a foreign or console release after UniB is released (it is scheduled for Spring) so they are running more franchises. This way it would be less of a risk for them to release a game should they take a potential loss. Furthermore, America is a very hard market to break into politically (copyright laws and such).

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 1, 2011

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

What happened to that Jojos goonsgarden tournament someone mentioned a while back? Would hella play that.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Dizz posted:

Your next big project should be trying to rig that piano up to play fighting games.

Be the Beethoven of fighting games :dota101:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DatK0ObAMoA

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Fenn if you don't like games with hard execution then don't play them. Most games have characters who are relatively easy and for the games that don't (i think every char requires SOME link grinding in AE, bison's cr.mp into cr.mk, or balrog's ex upper link spring to mind on the often quoted 2 easiest characters) then just go play another loving game. MB was my first FG and is still my favourite, is going to be pretty big next year (wizard refuses to rule it out of being an EVO main game) and is probably the easiest FG execution-wise that still gets play. If you can't even play MB you should really re-evaluate whether you actually want to play fighting games or not.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Thinking of coming to Hypespotting, the huge Scottish fighting game tournament in March? Consider the special "Event King" ticket for only £200

quote:

This will cover your entry for the entire weekend, as well as entry into all 5 tournaments, we will also supply you with your own limited edition Versus-Scotland T-Shirt, a crown and a cape, letting everyone know you're the Event King, you'll even get to commentate on stream for 10 minutes on any game of your choosing (finals excluded) as well as receiving a load of raffle tickets in the special contributors section of the prize give away There are only one of these tickets available.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixZCIGixhYA&t=782s

Irysa blows up trash-heap Scottish scene and takes a poo poo on the game he just swept grand finals in.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Popehoist's official guide to MB, part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Z4gmcoh_E&t=220s

See this? Don't do this.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

General netplay consensus is that it's pretty great. Feels about the same as mbcaster to me, which for reference was on the same kinda level as bb netplay i guess? Don't do matchmaking though unless you want to play at delay 15 with japanese people, the matchmaking doesnt check latency or anything at all. Use direct connection with a friend or come to irc.mizuumi.net (europeans to #meltyblood.eu, everyone else to #mbaa)

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

If you're having massive FPS drops with MBAACC, reinstall in japanese locale.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

gonna lol when the MBAACC side tournament gets double the entrants of mk9

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

How to play melty blood: the short version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM8-9saFQcU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Yeah in its earliest days teamsp00ky was an MB stream that carried SF4 occasionally to boost viewers.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4qgLaSxUw&t=821s

3 month later, still hilarious

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqqvF2oAu8c

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A7L-ZngJ9nQ#t=137s

Jiyuna pretty much hits the nail on the head w/r/t what's wrong with Western FG scene (most of what he's saying applies to europe too)

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

Jiyuna is so loving salty there it's amazing. He is pretty much saying "why don't people just play games for fun don't play this game :qq:" though. It's standard anime fighting game player saltiness; since MvC3 and SFxT are very "anime" in mechanical style but actual anime games don't get the time of day it pisses him off.

The thing is, Mayonnaise Arena is arcade only, Melty doesn't have a console release, playing AH3 makes you a registered child molester list and BB is terrible. If you're not :filez:, the only way to get a non-fraudulent anime game in the Western world nowadays is to shell out over $100 for loving Carnival Phantasm or scrounge up a copy of GGXXAC from somewhere.

Hopefully, Skullgirls and the XBLA/PSN rerelease of GGXXAC will rectify things, but KOFXIII is pretty "anime" in style and feel, and is the most legit fighting game of this current generation.

I agree with you that the current major anime games aren't really accessible in a western context but you can't deny that it's loving laughable that SFxT is actually going to be an EVO main game.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

OK, first off you need a stick with a larger dead zone. Spring resistance will only get you so far. If your using a JLF no matter how hard a spring you throw in there, the dead zone (the point in between when you move the stick and when the microswitches engage, counting as an input) is so small that you won't get very far.

If you're dead set on a JLF than your best bet is to file down the spring from a Happ or IL competition joystick.

The kind of stick you're looking for is one of the following:

-Seimitsu LS series (32 or 40 are your best bets)
-Zippyy, this is a very good Seimitsu knock off that has much stronger microswitches than a standard Seimitsu which will add more resistance.
-IL Competition, these sticks have large dead zones and very strong springs, they are the ones in American SF2 cabinets.
-Suzo 500, the be all and end all of stiff joysticks. Probably the best one ever made. They are rare as hell though, so expect to pay through the rear end for one if you desperately want one.
-The Seimitsu stick that was in the Neo Geo MVS is also really goood, but exceptionally rare. The closest you can get is stripping the stick from the Innovation dreamcast stick (which is a good clone but needs to be re-lubed because they use some cheap gross stuff that doesn't work). If you can find an old Neo Geo controller or stick, more power to you.

I would personally recommend you get a Zippyy and install a stronger spring in it. That will give you a J style stick with strong resistance and a medium sized deadzone. Plus if you don't like it they are only about 12 bucks or so.
rather than a seimitsu 32 or 40, get yourself an LS-55. It has a ridiculously long throw and helped me correct my issues with going too far on some inputs, like my 236s becoming TKs. It has slightly stronger than average resistance but you will probably still want a better spring for your needs.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Nah, it was Bootfighter Windom. I enjoyed it, although I don't really have a basis for comparison.

edit: drat, it looks just as fun as I remember it being. Maybe I'll download it and give it a go again, for nostalgia's sake.

FYI, Windom Bootfighter is essentially a doujin ripoff of the timeless Gundam VS series that's been the most popular arcade game in Japan for years now. EXVS was kind of a flop competitive-wise but EXVSFB looks to be much more solid and has already had a few pretty decent ranbats/tournaments. I upload good poo poo on my youtube account so sub me if you like the game.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

rivals posted:

How so? Admittedly I don't know much about the competitive scene in Japan but it was my understanding that at least in the arcades it was played a ton. It was also my first time seriously playing a Gundam game (played a little gvg next but not much), so I'm completely unaware of how most of the games are thought of, competitively speaking. Did it just not really catch on as far as tournaments go or what? I played it pretty seriously for a while as there are some local tournaments here (in CA) but I've mostly dropped it for various reasons.

Gundam VS series traditionally alternates between good game and crappy game. rengou VS zaft was crap, RvZ2 was great. Gundam VS Gundam was crap, GVG next was great.

Extreme VS had a few major issues. Bringing back the Awaken system to a game with NEXT dash introduced a lot of issues but the biggest one was that it was simply too strong, refilling all your boost gauge was ridiculously overpowered. Hidolfr was extremely powerful, and later on the Quant became the only realistic choice for 3000ratio characters. Melee was absolutely ridiculously underpowered and the melee-based units weren't worth touching. Many units that were designed to have "interesting" aspects often tended to have those aspects not worth using in favour of a/CSa spamming (see: Unicorn, 00, zeta).
Keep in mind I never played Extreme VS, but I regularly mirror tournament/ranbat footage and interesting casual footage from nico onto my youtube account. GVGN got tons of tournaments in all kinds of various interesting formats every week, whereas EXVS dried up very quickly. I couldn't find any serious tournament footage at all 3 months after release. EXVSFB has come out of the blocks a lot stronger but still nowhere near the level that GVGN was.

EXVS was still the biggest arcade game in Japan for its entire lifespan, because the series is the biggest series in Japanese arcades and casuals will still play it regardless, but for whatever reason (and i listed a few up there) the serious players didn't consider EXVS worth their time.

The biggest tragedy is that a Gundam VS setup is so expensive and space-consuming that arcades often get rid of their old ones when the new game comes out. So when EXVS came out and turned out to be poo poo, arcades had goten rid of their GVGN setups to make space for it, so the GVGN scene died instantly on release day. It's not like fighting games where people still play older games for years and years.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Honestly awaken is still overpowered in EXVSFB but at least now you need full awaken to refill all of your burst/ammo.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

BurningCourage posted:

Extreme VS is for PS3 and I think it has online.

Note that Gundam VS Gundam NEXT Plus is available for PSP if you don't have a PS3, and is a better game than Extreme VS, and also has extremely good and difficult AI. I've seen several videos on nicovideo of top arcade players attempting to do the hardest routes in the single-player mode and failing. Although at times it can simply be purely unfair, see this vid of me playing for an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW2EWlHx87g

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Except they're totally different as fighting game characters? If your issue is that they're the same as storyline characters then i'm sorry for disrupting your sf4 story experience

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Get him playing Fritz (in UK we only play fritz mirrors and call it fritzkampf)

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Wow lots of London guys ITT. I've never been to HoG (i'm kinda on the outskirts of UK scene partly due to living in loving scotland and partly due to mainly playing unpopular games like melty, kof, and, well, fritzkampf) but I'm good friends with frostbolt and he's encouraging me to get down for some kind of big event at the end of summer, apparently HoG is moving venue closer to central london?

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

brian posted:

Ironically enough i'm moving up to Dundee for 4 months on the 4th of June so maybe i'll see you at something in le scot land.

hahahahaha you have no idea, do you

the only games you will get to play in scotland are SF4AE and marvel, maybe those shitdumpsters play strekken now i wouldnt be surprised. Me and irysa have kind of singlehandedly been attempting to keep a dying MB scene alive and we occasionally do MB meetups at his house or mine, but unless you feel like picking up MB you won't see any of me at all. Scotland FG scene is worthless as far as I'm concerned, not because of the game but because of people's attitudes.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Six Of Spades posted:

That actually sounds interesting; what's the attitude of these guys like? Or any other FGC for that matter - I'm in the UK, but kind of out of the way of a nearby FGC, unless there's one somewhere in Yorkshire.

The issue I have with glasgow FGC is that noone seems to give a gently caress. I tried to play with these guys and get involved but they're like robots, they just sit down in front of a TV and autopilot SF4/marvel for 2 or 3 hours. None of them seem to actually give a poo poo about the game they're playing, you can't really talk to your opponent about the game indepth or even have any kind of conversation past "haha that was weird" "yeah heh". It's just so...depressing. Me and Irysa tried to get people playing MB, kof, jojos, loving everything, but I kinda feel like the guys there are only interested in copying what they see on streams or something. It's just a thoroughly boring and depresing environment to play really lovely FGs in, and since glasgow is a bit of a trek for me I stopped going.

I'm like 15 mins away from Dundee but I've never gotten involved with Dundee scene due to it just being SF4/marvel as far as I can tell. Like I said I just generally don't get involved with scotland scene. We're holding a bigass MB tournament in Finland in July so pretty much all of my fg-related time is spent getting ready for that.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

I've never seen you at a session?? Who are you? Please stop saying wrong things about Scotland/northern UK's fighting game scene, because it sounds like you're upset that people don't play MBAA and are grossly generalising a really good group of players.

I'm disappointed that Irysa never comes to 1LU sessions any more because he was a cool guy and got people into some alternative fighters. I assume since you know Irysa you know Paladin (Michael) too. He still regularly shows up to get KOF practice in and could probably tell you about how the scene in general is really good up here.

Genuinely, what effort have you made to raise awareness of MBAA in the country? I haven't seen any.

As for your assertions re: the obsession with SFxT/SF4/MVC3:
- SFxT is dead up here. There hasn't been a tournament since launch week and probably never will be again.
- SF4 has been in steady decline for a while but I really don't have much issue with people liking and/or playing that game if it's their thing. You can't get upset with people hating on MBAA then turn round and badmouth someone else's game of choice.
- You're right that Marvel 3 is super popular but I don't think that's particularly damning of the Scottish/UK scene in general when it seems to be the biggest FG in the West right now.
- KOFXIII had a 3 month ranking battle season (which Irysa conveniently didn't bother attending after winning the first one and then decided that still made him the best player) and the last UK major had three Scots in top 8 for the game. GigaD, aka the guy who knows the most poo poo about KOF in the UK, said our scene is one of the best along with London and Manchester.
- A Scottish SoulCalibur player just got 2nd at i45 in London.
- We're currently in the middle of a 3 month Skullgirls ranking battle season.
- Two weeks ago we had a £100 Third Strike tournament, and players from the scene have had top 8 placing in multiple majors in the past year or two for the game.

Sorry to get into a somewhat personal argument on SA but I can't believe some of the stuff being said by this guy who seemingly has never attended an event.
Yeah I run a lot of events up here. The 3S scene in Glasgow is really good (we got two teams to top 4 at the last UK major :shobon: ) and Dundee have a fighting game club called Giant Attack which is doing really well for itself.
IDK maybe there's some secret glasgow scene that ive never properly gotten a chance to hang out with. I used to go to that big LAN center place a few times, the place with the underground bit where they held that SSF4 event, which was pretty cool. It shut down or something and apparently the new place to play FGs in glasgow is levelup which has been miserable every time I've gone there. Like I said, the issue I have with the place isn't the games, it's the people who just seem to not give a poo poo. Like I'd go play SSF4 against randoms and just mess around with my lovely dictator and like noone seemed to really give a poo poo about winning or losing or even the game they were playing at all. Some guy kept trying to antiair me with that weird feilong crouch punch thing and i told him its really easy for me to bait it and he should try using flamekick instead and the guy just kinda ignored me. I got similar kind of feel from most of the people at levelup, like they just don't really care about trying to get better or anything. I went with Irysa a couple times and set up kof, breakers, MB, whatever, and we'd encourage people to sit down and try it, but they never stuck around, so I stopped going since Glasgow is a decent trek for me. The only people in that place I like to see (infy, paladin, couple others) I usually see at MB meetups anyway.

As a disclaimer it's been over a year since I was last in levelup so I dunno if it's better now. I'll admit not playing any of the current "popular" games is part of the reason but I'd be honestly happy to sit and mash some horseshit marvel or kof13 if the players just weren't so...boring. If it's as good as you say it is I might try to get through there in the summer. Maybe you're right and I didn't give it a fair chance. The other dude mentioned hyespotting but I didn't go to hypespotting since we got refused permission to set up MB.

EDIT: I also asked irysa about it since he actually lives in glasgow and gets involved with the scene but he pretty much just had this to say:

[10:55] <Irysa> [10:54:08] <+Sabator> I'm disappointed that Irysa never comes to 1LU sessions any more because he was a cool guy and got people into some alternative fighters.
[10:55] <Irysa> if i had an SA account
[10:55] <Irysa> id post and call him out
[10:55] <Irysa> this is ballocks
[10:55] <Irysa> nobody else
[10:55] <Irysa> ever cared
[10:55] <Irysa> lol
[10:55] <Irysa> it was me and michael
[10:55] <Irysa> only
[10:55] <Irysa> all day
[10:55] <Irysa> in thecorner
[10:55] <Irysa> playing 2k2um and mbaa
[10:55] <Irysa> [10:54:23] <+Sabator> - KOFXIII had a 3 month ranking battle season (which Irysa conveniently didn't bother attending after winning the first one and then decided that still made him the best player) and the last UK major had three Scots in top 8 for the game. GigaD, aka the guy who knows the most poo poo about KOF in the UK, said our scene is one of the best along with London and Manchester
[10:56] <Irysa> this is not why i stopped coming
[10:56] <Irysa> i didnt come because I loving hate kof xiii
--
[10:59] <Irysa> then 13 came out and I came for one week/ranbat and played but decided I hated KoF XIII beacuse it was so blatantly not KoF
[10:59] <Irysa> so i didnt wanna play it anymore
[10:59] <Irysa> AND
[10:59] <Irysa> then they said
[10:59] <Irysa> i couldn't run mb
[10:59] <Irysa> at levelup
[10:59] <Irysa> so i stopped going

FWIW irysa is super loving annoying at times and im amazed you guys can tolerate him at your events heh.

EDIT 2: to reiterate here i dont want to get like super defensive about this because i've only been to levelup like 4 times, and not within the past year, so i'm fully willing to accept the possibility that its actually a great scene and i just had a few standout lovely experiences, and if i get the time and money i might drop by again to mash some marvel or whatever. I'm just telling you my own personal experiences of going there that really put me off the scene. Shelling out like £15 return with a 2 hour trip each way is bad enough to play a bunch of games I don't really like, but when even the social aspect of it isn't great you can see why I'd get annoyed, right?

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 19, 2012

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

40 OZ posted:

Don't give people tips while you are playing unless you are specifically playing to teach someone. That is very obnoxious. Do it afterwards.
The gently caress is wrong with giving people tips in casuals? The whole point of casuals is to get practice and improve your game and you have to be a giant loving baby to get upset about that. Giving tips afterwards is pointless because they can't actually practice the advice you've given them until they play you (or someone else who uses your character and plays a similar way) again.

I get tips in casuals all the time, kof crew used to do it to me when I was learning that game and it was super helpful to hear something like "try hopping that instead of trying to snakearm it" and then actually trying it and hey it works now i'm a little less bad.

quote:

Converting mass numbers of people to another game is difficult, as you have noticed! Getting mad because you can't is pretty lame, dude.

You have to look at it from other people's perspective- can you figure out why people would not want to bet on that horse?

Cool it's time to state in this discussion for the third time that it's not about the games. I'm quite happy to go mash some poo poo like sf4/marvel and i can play it at a basic mashy level, it's obviously not my first choice but i'll take it if it's there. What put me off levelup was the combination of lovely games AND lovely attitudes. In comparison I always have a good time when I go down to London and play AE or whatever just because the people down there are generally friendlier and less spergy.

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 20, 2012

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah... I asked around the local community after I read that initial post and it seems he has a reputation for being obnoxious and childish irl.

Which is complete bullshit because I have never once identified myself as sabator IRL while at levelup. It's a nickname I've never used outside melty scene. Every time I've been at levelup I introduced myself w/ my real name. Thanks for blindly believing peoples bald faced lies though!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Six Of Spades posted:

The London scene has been brought up a few times (as being really bad); any horror stories, if you don't mind elaborating? Not gonna be in York forever; and after that, the London scene will be my closest. I've only been to that arcade on Tottenham Court Road once, maybe 4 years ago, and there were these really seedy guys there that scared the living daylights outta me. I just wanted to have a go at Blazblue :(

The London scene is pretty cool and has a cool group of people but there's some really noticable bias towards the "famous" players, like when a whole tournament was put on hold because ~ryan hart~ wasn't there yet. The other main issue with it is that there's a lot of loving seedy outsider assholes who sneak into the venues and steal a bunch of your poo poo. Never lend out your poo poo at a london event and if you're bringing a setup be prepared to sit on it the entire day.

EDIT: this isn't an issue with london scene specifically but more an issue with london itself being a place full of loving dicks who will rob you blind with no provocation given the chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18003292

Welp, I love MB to bits but even I can't defend this.

• Locked thread