Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Fayk posted:

I find it funny that it can't shake this reputation when something like soul caliber 4 is way more ridiculous about this stuff.

Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
For a change of pace from AE I tried out CvS2 and holy poo poo are those some strict inputs. Made me think I had broken my stick or something, I couldn't even do a QCFx2 Super with any consistency. I haven't played any other fighters in recent years other than AE, SF3 and a bit of Marvel 2, so going from that to CvS2 is insane. I might keep at it just to up my execution.

Also the game is really fun. I don't feel like I'm crawling across the screen and I love the hell out of the Groove system, even if I don't really know how to use it well. I just love customization systems in all games, fighters included.

The moral here is please Capcom make whatever game is after SxT not play like molasses.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I remember watching Evo on stream and someone in the IRC described Chen as the John Madden of fighting games. Even back then when I had only been playing SF4 for like a month the commentary seemed really useless (I don't think you need to explain what FADCs are for top 8!).

For some reason though aside from maybe Yipes my favorite commentator is MrQuotes so I probably am an awful judge.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

They should quit playing the games before they ever get the thought in their head that they have a voice worth listening to. This sounds harsh but it is the reality of the situation. I sincerely hope that fighting games remain difficult to approach so that people who are unable to grasp the simple combo systems of most modern fighters never, ever get the idea that they have a clue what constitutes balance in a fighting game.

I don't agree that the Player Entitlement issues have any bearing of game complexity. We're in an era of gaming where lots of people have ways to make their voice heard, games are meant to be beaten, you get validation of you sweet skillz from the game itself just for playing it through achievements, and designers are more open to feedback than ever as more and more games deliver patches and updates to fix imbalances. When a player encounters a problem, if its in his disposition to do so, he will whine about it and blame the game for why he can't do something. Being difficult to approach doesn't fix this in any way, there is no magical point where a player concedes that the game they spent $50 on is not for them. "I paid for it, I should be able to play it!"

Regardless if you like it that way, fighting games have some of the most un-intuitive controls of any genre and have really only evolved in terms of input leniency. A lot of it probably deals with tradition (Changing Ryu's DP to something other than 623 would cause a riot) and stigma associated with other games (no serious fighter ever will use Smash-like specials). But with leniency, designers can kinda "cheat" this a bit. The SF4 dp is 323 or 636, even if it says its 623. Both are more 'natural' motions, and the game is programmed for them, but a lot of players will say they "don't use the shortcuts" (they've probably had their rear end saved in multiple games thanks to it though) and those that do try and take advantage are often seen as being scrubs for using things that are programmed into the game. Fundamentally, there's not much of a difference between plinking and the shortcut dp, but the general perceptions of both in the community are very different.

Execution barriers are important for fighters to make them more fun in general. One reason I actually picked up Sakura, despite my poor execution, was her incredibly satisfying 1-frame BnB, and other players are drawn to characters with high execution as personal preference. Going for a harder, more damaging combo comes with more risks than a 2-in-1, and if you drop it the match can change drastically when you eat the punish. So you have the necessity of creating execution requirements to make the game exciting balanced against creating a comfortable and intuitive control scheme.

I find it rather fascinating from a design standpoint.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 24, 2011

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
The biggest emphasis in all this is 1-frame links and FADC. FADC is unique to SF4 and 1-frame links are extremely important for a lot of characters in SF4, moreso than any other fighter I can think of (admittedly not many I know a lot about). I'd recommend not playing SF4 then. v:v:v

You will always have to spend time in training mode to develop execution and reactions. If your hit-confirm goes from a 1-frame to a 2-frame link, that doesn't change that you'll have to practice hit-confirming it. Even a simpler chain combo, you'll end up drilling it anyway to develop the muscle memory for one less situation where your hands get stupid and you gently caress it up. You'll spend time in training mode trying to get a feel for which combos work on who and what don't, develop and practice the timing on option-selects, ect. You can't avoid training mode.

I'd rather have stage/music select for SF4's training mode to make practice more enjoyable and avoid the soul-destroying Training Stage music/visuals than a link buffer to make me spend a little less time in training overall.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Ha ha, yeah they sure are dude.

The website has them all in the same pose which makes the art style look a lot worse than it actually is and probably the main reason so many people complain about the art style in general. I dunno why they don't just put their idle animations on there or something instead cause the game is loving beautiful in motion and the animation is its strong point and what defines the characters so well.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Skullgirls character designs absolutely have an element of pandering and male gaze to them but I don't find them exceptionally awful compared to other fighting game female characters. Every female in Mortal Kombat (cept maybe Sonya? And don't her clothes fall off while you play? I dunno I don't play it) is basically only wearing underwear as their entire outfit. Cammy not only has a ridiculous outfit but every match starts with a long slow pan right on her rear end (this kinda stuff, shifting camera focus just for some TnA, seems way more sexist to me than having revealing outfits). Sakura probably has more panty flashes than Filia.

You can basically look at every single fighting game and find poo poo designed to pander to males. There's no reason to target Skullgirls as being somehow far worse than anything else except that there are only females and the art style is partially influenced by anime. I will say though I would have liked for at least one character to have worn pants, probably contradicting my entire argument right there :v:

Bubble-T posted:

I just realised the skullgirls page has character measurements lmao
Apparently they put measurements up because female cosplayers wanted them for reference or something. Could be wrong.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Of course they're not, I don't think anyone reasonable would claim that.

I don't agree with complaints that they're too anime or anything either for the record. There's quite a bit to like about their designs as well as some stuff I think is unfortunate.

Yeah, I can understand that. The only designs that really get to me are Parasoul and Ms.Fortune, and all they need are some pants/shorts respectively and it'd really be an improvement.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

It's possible I'm misunderstanding something about the loop stopping system, but the combo videos that have been posted for Skullgirls so far all seem to have some loops in them that go unbroken. I'm assuming that they wouldn't demo combos that the system is designed to discourage or prevent, so what am I missing?

Variations of a loop can help prevent it from kicking in, but the infinite prevention system is a simple loop prevention with a ton of exceptions coded into it. I would say a lot of the loops you see in those videos are ones that are hard coded in to be allowed for X number of reps or have properties built in to allow them to loop but not be infinite.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Konstantin posted:

I'm surprised that there is so much work being put into the MLP fighting game. If this actually gets near release and is popular at all, I'm willing to bet it will be killed by a C&D.

The creators of MLP have already approved it quite a while back, but who knows if that will change when it comes close to release time.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

Wait, isn't wave dashing easier on pad? I was always under the impression that pad players have an advantage in Tekken. I've never played it on stick, really, so I don't have much of a point of comparison.

I've never played Tekken but I remember someone earlier in the thread or in the old thread mentioned that Tekken cabinets actually had controller slots for Playstation pads.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I've started going to actual local FG events and find myself needing to dual mod my 360 TE. Which is generally preferred between the TEasy Strike and the Kitty? I think ease of installation would be more important than price for me.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I want to try hosting casual sessions in the near future. Does anyone have advice on hosting, just things to make sure I have or whatever? I have two tvs, but only an 360 and two games, in a mid size apartment. I'm not expecting a ton of people and am probably way overthinking this from crippling social anxiety but I want to make sure I'm not missing any etiquette or equipment or whatever.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

rivals posted:

SRK regional boards.

Following that, also check if your state/area has a facebook group for fighting games. Some regional threads will be basically dead because people moved on to facebook. It might take some searching, in my case the state facebook was hidden and I only found out about it by looking through all the different state area threads on SRK.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Can someone please explain to me this really vaguely referenced "input buffer" that he is talking about that is "offline and online" ? He doesn't seem to be right in a single god drat thing he's saying, by the way.

I think he's referring SCVs input buffer which allows you to do things like attacking on the first frame out of blockstun, making the delay based netcode not affect your counterattacks unless its extremely laggy. He's not saying the game has lag offline, but that the game is slower in general as part of the game's mechanics and design, like most "fast" attacks being somewhere around 10f(?) while in SF you have 3f jabs.

I could be wrong and SCV doesn't actually have that buffer but I remember hearing about it at least and have no idea what else he could be referring to. Its simply that the mechanics and buffering system of SCV adapt better to a delay based netcode. It probably has the best delay based netcode around but its still not GGPO.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Brett824 posted:

That's what makes it intuitive rather than based on logic and reasoning? As time has gone on in MvC3, people have gotten much better internal understandings of how the system works and top players can now salvage combos that work within hitstun scaling from hit confirm situations they might have never seen before. And, when they fail to do this they usually can tell what caused the hitstun decay to take place more rapidly than usual.

When you drop that weird confirm combo in Marvel though you have to try and guess if you hosed up the excution or it simply doesn't work and they flip out. Some moves get hit harder by HSD than others and there's no real consistent logic behind it. You could try messing around with tweaking a combo for a long time in training mode and never be quite sure if it works and you need to up your execution or it doesn't and you need to go back to the drawing board. In IPS, once you learn the general properties of moves and character weights you can make up fully functioning combos before even stepping into training mode. I can't see how attacks having inconsistent properties is more intuitive a system than one where every attack always works the same way.

This is not to say every game should have IPS, or that its the best combo system even, but knowing what works at what doesn't is more intuitive than just abotu any other game of its kind.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

So if you want a green mutant character, what country would it not be racist to make him come from?

If I remember right he was designed the other way around. "We want a character from Brazil...well Brazil has jungles right? let's make him a crazy green jungle man! :downs:"

EDIT: at the very least its the supposed thought process that people took offense too.

Ixiggle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 9, 2012

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
For those who can't access the site, the site's full change list was posted in a much cleaner format: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/may/28/guilty-gear-xx-accent-plus-core-r-new-changelog-trailer-and-loketest-dates/

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Accent Core Plus is just a slightly tweaked version of regular AC, it came out on the PS2 originally. That's the version that's coming to XBL/PSN.

AC+R is the new arcade revision, that's the one that's going to be patched in at a later date.

Is this change list complete/up-to-date?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

I'm sure being on PC the netcode will be vastly improved...now if we could just get that climax update that will fix the move interpreter...not likely

This is the first time I've heard about this, could you elaborate whats up with the input system? I know 13 has some quirks but not heard about anything major.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Wasnt MK9, KOF 13, and KOF98UM coming to steam? At least it was on the supposed leak list that has so far been coming true.

MK9 is the only one of those that's been actually confirmed iirc, the KOF stuff was datamined but snk hasn't said anything about it. Its also the only one that's (somewhat) playable online. KOF13 netcode is the worst of any modern fighting game and if you wanna play 98 just use ggpo.

If you want a PC fighting game with an active userbase the options are SSF4:AE and GGPO, notably ST and 98. SF4 is also one of the most played games period so if you go to locals you'll find more people to play against. Though if you like 98 and ST I would highly encourage someone to stick with them because they are amazing games and you should force your friends to play them.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

Just tried the Tekken f2p thing. You start out with 5 or 6 characters and as you level up you get more. You can of course purchase more.

Problems are it looks like it is Pay2Win in that you can buff your characters with points (ruins from LoL). The big one though is they limit how much you can play via arcade tokens. Each match consumes one token. You can get a new token every 30 minutes with a max of 5. I didn't bother to check how much it costs to buy.

Does make me want to buy Tekken Tag though, so maybe that's the marketing angle.

I really wanted to be open minded about the game but there's just nothing there. You have maybe a halfhour of playtime from what they give you, enough for two arcade mode runs and a couple online matches. There is no training mode but characters do have movelists which you can look up during arcade mode. For gameplay differences from ttt2, bounds are gone. Characters have moves that can either become invincible(red aura) or critical hit randomly (blue aura). When your character goes into rage ends up being affected by the vigor stat and getting hit on the ground can't cause juggle state (I think) so getting up is way easier and tekken's oki game much less punishing. Some moves got new animations when things like launchers are blocked so are easier to visually recognize as punishable. The game is now much friendlier to new players who are just learning the game and I kinda like that but the limitations on what you can do, most notably the lack of training mode, just kinda try to make the game less obtuse for people who don't learn the mechanics anyway and will pay money to play in small amounts than just buying tag 2 with everything available except STATS.

I just don't understand the real market for this.

Edit: and the real f2p money maker, cosmetic items, aren't present at all in revolution and completely free in tag2

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Are there any fighting games with large, stable online communities on PC?

I always loved fighting games on the SNES when I was a kid, and later on Soul Calibur and Smash Bros, but none of my RL friends are into them and I haven't picked one up in ages. Street Fighter 4 looks cool, and Skullgirls looks neat even if it's team based and anime as hell, are they active online?

Gonna be an old man again and also recommend ST and 98 on ggpo. They're a small but very active and dedicated community for two of the best games ever with the best netcode around (although the servers themselves are unstable). SF4 has seen a small resurgence after evo and has always had an active playerbase, while it remains to be seen how large the MK9 pc community will end up being.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does anyone have a link to a detailed resource on how FG input buffers should/do work? I was thinking about it yesterday and there are some parts to it which are visible enough from just simple experimentation, but I think there are lots more cases where I don't want to spend the rest of my life in training mode with a stopwatch but I'm interested to know. Main things I'm curious about : do normal/blocks/movement occurring ever flush the buffer, does charge persist from past the end of the buffer, does the internal representation of the special move inputs include button/directional releases (as opposed to just presses), is the input buffer jointly time and size constrained or just one of them, are sequential inputs recognized if they both appear the same time the input is polled (ie. same input buffer cell)? This is not to get better at games I'm just curious.

Buffer systems are completely different from game to game so this is a fairly difficult question to address. Its not really a case of having a specific type of buffer because different games have different requirements that the buffer can effect and some things can be unique to the system if you want to get something specific out of your game. For example, KOF13 has more difficult motions on average coupled with tight juggles, and so has a few unique input shortcuts for its motions and holding down a button gives you a greater buffer window to execute an attack immediately out of recovery. Third Strike uses charge partitioning to make charge characters easier to parry effectively with but is one of the few (only?) games that implements it.

This is actually something I'm really interested in as well but the only things I can find online don't really seem like authoritative sources. It might honestly be a better question for one of the game design/programming threads than the FG thread unless its a question about a specific FG's system. I'd be interested if people can find anything cool on it though.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

Capcom isn't ever going to fix the glaring system problems in sf4, they are just gonna let it stand.

Also, re: Yatagarasu, I'm going to say it again that if it only makes 68k they are going to spend money on maximillian as an announcer over ggpo netcode. What were they thinking?

I don't like how link heavy sf4 is either but its not a "glaring system problem," its a combo system that works fine for the game even if it is slightly obtuse and difficult for new players. SF4 more than probably any other fighter out right now gives you options to win without doing combos. The game, especially at high level, suffers far more from braindead unblockables/oki than slightly difficult combos.

Also regarding yata announcer packs, all of the commentary packs together cost less than GGPO, the game already has online play (which I haven't found to be terrible but haven't played too many games), and GGPO was NOT part of the original indiegogo campaign and was only added as a stretch goal due to fan demand. If that fan demand doesn't translate to dollars then oh well, they tried.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

I should have clarified modern fighters in there but this is also true everyone play st.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

That's my one real criticism of fighting games as a genre, you have to 'get into' them and some people, god forbid, don't want to have to do that. So it's more a criticism of people than the actual game. People suck.

Then they shouldn't be surprised when they lose against people that do take the game seriously. You don't have to take fighting games seriously, you can play your friends, play arcade/story modes, only play the barrel buster minigame in sf4, whatever you want to do. You can play against good players and not really care about winning and just be Dan and taunt all the time and if that's what you want to get out of the game then go for it. What people have an issue with are players saying they should be good at a game and insisting that the parts of the game they can't immediately handle are bad game mechanics (combos and throws being the most popular cries from the scrubs of cheap and unnecessary mechanics). Getting rid of dribbling in basketball would make it more accessible and also a worse game.

That very criticism you have of the genre is a great part of why people stick with fighting games and continue to play and enjoy them. There's a motivation in uncovering depth, dexterity and reactions to compete and improve among their friends, online, or in tournaments.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

I was going off of the values on the Shoryuken wiki -- I just went through a lot of Maxima combos and almost all of them did less damage than shown on it. Leona's EX earring bomb into EX V-Slash does 17 more damage than the wiki suggests. Maybe nothing changed and those values are just wrong?

Just a sanity check but make sure Counter Hit is turned off. Also a lot of the combos will list optional jump-in starters or hitconfirms that aren't included in the final damage number. Multi-hit specials and supers can also give different damage values depending on how the attack connects with the opponent, like Kyo's EX Orochinagi in juggles.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Six Of Spades posted:

Out of curiosity, what commercially-released game DOES have the best netcode?

Outside of the ggpo games mentioned above probably Tekken. Its pretty amazing how good it feels.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The true problem of huge casts that I'm not seeing mentioned is not the tedium of learning each matchup, but the fact that you're more and more likely to get randomed out by a gimmick as the cast gets larger. Hope you knew beforehand that X-23's cinematic level 1 is completely invincible for the first 20 frames while she walks across the screen, or about hyper armor Hsien-ko, or Turnabout Mode, or Firebrand Snapback Unblockable, or how to get out of Ultimate Web Throw setups, or that Spencer has a grounded overhead he tends to use after an XFC'ed Bionic Arm, or that Felicia is just a gigantic shitpile of infuriating gimmicks!

I'm sorry you don't want to have to learn what characters do. Really, loving Spencer having an overhead is arcane knowledge to you? Literally every Spencer does it cause it still works even on really good players. And boohoo, if you didn't know you get hit by it once and then you know, this is how fighting games are supposed to work and how they worked for years. The only exception to that in your list are Ultimate Web Throw escapes which are non obvious but if you're reset in the air there's only so many things you can do anyway and you might just be hosed regardless but you're fighting against Spiderman so just kill him before he can do that.

Learning a lot of things about different characters isn't actually this herculean effort that you all are making it out to be. Your brain is actually pretty good about this!

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

The problem BL is pointing out isn't that any particular one of those things is obscure and arcane; if you want to be good at marvel, you're probably pretty likely to learn that Spencer has an overhead. The point that he's making which you appear to be willfully ignoring is that when there's a huge cast, there are going to be lots of gimmicks that you just plain don't see because very few people play those characters. So you're either forced to iterate through every member of the cast and learn them well enough to figure out what their gimmicks are (which is a huge time commitment and sucks) or you just have to accept that the first time you play a new character you're likely to lose because of stupid bullshit like the fact that you weren't aware of how many invincibility frames X23's level 1 has, or the fact that Elizabeth's Instant Kill in P4A is actually a counter.

The instant kills in P4A are actually a good example of this. When the cast has eight characters, it's easy to go through each of them, play with their IKs, and figure out how not to get caught by them, eg "oh, Kanji's is a throw and you can just jump over him. Naoto's IK counts as a projectile, so you can just Dia through the entire animation and get a shitload of life back. Elizabeth's is a counter." etc. When there are 50 characters or more, and each of them has their own unique gimmick that will literally kill you no matter what unless you know what the gimmick is, it starts to get less reasonable and more bullshit.

I'm not willfully ignoring anything, none of these things are problems except to those who don't want to actually learn things about the game they're playing. Learning what characters do is how fighting games work and how you get better at a game. You get hit by it once, laugh it off, and try to remember so you don't get hit by it again. Most of this stuff isn't even gimmicks its just how the characters work. Using an invincible super to blow through an attack is FG101 level here, its not a gimmick and its not stupid bullshit, supers have been used for this since they loving invented, and a super being invincible on startup is the easiest thing possible to see once and then retain that knowledge for next time. Having more characters doesn't change this process it just changes the breadth of knowledge (# of chars) that you can accumulate about a game. 'Gimmicks' aren't even unbeatable, if Spiderman knows how to reset into Ultimate Web Throw and you can't get out, that's one (1) thing he has on you that you are at least aware of even if you can't beat it. He's still playing Spiderman and if you have Vergil or Zero or Wesker or Doom or any other actually good character you can poop on him anyway because he's still Spiderman and that one thing alone doesn't make him unbeatable. If you go into a p4a tournament and lose to Kanji's IK sorry bro you got owned and you're not good enough, better luck next time.

You should relish the chance to play against a new character so if you have to fight them in a tournament scenario you can deal with them and know what they like to do. Whats the ideal cast size anyway? 8? 20? If a game is fun who gives a poo poo how many character are in there, a fun game will make learning the nuances of characters and matchups fun as well, and if that doesn't sound fun to you maybe you should try sticking with singleplayer content and SFxT scramble mode around a bong with your buds instead of whining about balance.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

The ideal cast size sounds like it's around 10-15, as far as I can tell. That's enough space to give a bunch of different character archetypes a slot and if you can't find one or two playstyles you like out of ten to fifteen options, then you're not trying hard enough.
Why? What is your reasoning for this? Do you have more substantial logic as to why this is the optimal cast size or are you pulling numbers out of your rear end because the truth is the distinction between too many and too few characters is completely arbitrary. 10-15 is your preferred cast size, not the 'optimal' unless you can back up the claim with something other than a gut feeling.

Btw, Super Turbo has 16 characters along with 16 o.versions of those characters, a cast of 32. Clearly too many for the game to have any real depth of matchups.

Broken Loose posted:

I love how you shoot down my mention of Spencer and then totally prove my point about Ultimate Web Throw.
Overheads exist in other fighting games, inescapable air reset into super throws do not. Just because you had one halfway decent example doens't mean the rest of them were correct or that your point overall is correct.

quote:

But I'm sure being beaten by unseen gimmicks hasn't ever happened to good players before, right?
No one has ever argued that it hasn't but okay I'll tackle this straw man as well.

quote:

This whole loving tournament.
Kusoru deserved to win that and is a legit as gently caress marvel player who beat people with an unconventional team that didn't fit into the current US meta. Log trap isn't a new gimmick, people knew about it as a good assist and Kusoru used it better than anyone.

quote:

Justin Wong doesn't know how to defend against Adon's overhead.
Justin Wong plays Adon holy christ I think he knows he's got an overhead. This is just taking credit away from Gamerbee.

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOT_W0T3ws
X-Factor 1 Wolverine completely hosed everybody over.
XF1 Wolverine is not a gimmick its an extremely powerful vanilla marvel strategy because he can run through an entire team. Again, a meta changer!

Further, I don't understand how ANY OF THIS has to do with cast size! You have yet to prove a point that having a large cast size increases the number of unseen gimmicks or even the rate at which those gimmicks are used, and since 2/3 of your example videos feature characters that were already widely accepted as being very good in their respective games and very common character selections I don't see where your'e going with this.

What is your definition of a gimmick anyway? Because so far it seems to be "something that works," if you're citing lvl 1 xfactor wolverine and command overheads as an example of a gimmick.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

Bunch of people in here setting up a false dichotomy about fighting games not having enough to discover if the roster isn't really large. I love you all but get back on your meds.

Who was making this point that large casts are required for a game to have depth? I've only seen the opposite argued, that large casts are only detrimental and can hinder the growth of a deep game by increasing the number of matchups.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Oh my, Ixiggle. Your "counterpoints" are things that happened afterward like it had any effect on the situations. Next you'll claim that the iPhone wasn't very revolutionary because you own a Samsung Galaxy.

If something new is discovered and then becomes the standard I really can't fathom how you can call it a gimmick and not a strategy. Maybe if you actually responded to my question about what you view as an unfair gimmick (and how this kind of gimmick becomes worse with larger cast sizes, mind) you could avoid flailing like a child and whining about things in games you view as unfair and obtuse while being a champion of Skullgirls: Wait Does My Combo Still Work Edition.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

It took me two minutes to find four other people who are suggesting a number between 10 and 15.
Wow consider me throughly owned by the authoritative might of The Something Awful Fighting Game Thread. I like how you included the dude that was just making a joke with his post as an example as well.

quote:

And more importantly, how does having 32 characters make ST a better game? What does ST gain from 32 characters that it would lose if you cut the roster down to 16? I'm not proposing that 15 is a hard cap for cast limits and that any game with more than that is trash, but if you have a cast of 32 and only 16 of them really get any play, what are the extraneous characters adding to the table that justifies their presence in the game?
Number of characters is irrelevant to the quality of the game, and the cases where it does have a real life impact are not because of the cast sizes themselves introducing negative elements into the game. People are still trying to say that I'm arguing for more chars = better than and I've said no such thing. ST is an amazing game with 32 characters. Marvel 2 is an amazing game with 56 playable characters even if only a handful are actually used. Marvel 3 has 50 characters and is a not very good game. Its irrelevant and I've never argued otherwise.

Sometimes fighting games have characters who can't find their place. This isn't a bad thing. No game has been ruined by the existence of less than effective characters. ST Cammy is not very good but she's still very popular because people play fighting games for different things and different characters appeal to them for different reasons. FGs are defined by their character selection so I find a view that specifies these characters should be limited in some way as very misguided. Chun-li doesn't do anything in marvel 3 but her inclusion made some people happy even if they aren't winning tournaments.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Brett824 posted:

Yeah, and the more obscure superfluous stuff you have to learn the less a game becomes about actual fighting game fundamentals and being a Good Player and becomes more about grinding out knowledge and studying.

If we remove things we have to learn about the game we can focus on learning things about the game instead. Another brilliant Brett post.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

Hey I fixed your post so that it actually reflects the sentiment of the guy you quoted, I hope you don't mind.

You seem to need help making your points for yourself so yes feel free to edit mine if it makes it easier for you. I actually kinda agree with DandyJ's points on some of Tekken's arbitrary knowledge and execution checks before you can even really get into the game, and its making me reconsider some of my earlier arguments. Even 10 strings aside there's a lot of stuff in there that will blow up anyone who doesn't know about it but are also completely worthless in high level, what I view as a real gimmick. BL argued that overheads were a gimmick and Brett didn't make any distinction in what was superfluous bullshit. There are a lot of people that think combos and DP motions are added bullshit, remember.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Hope you knew beforehand that X-23's cinematic level 1 is completely invincible for the first 20 frames while she walks across the screen, or about hyper armor Hsien-ko, or Turnabout Mode, or Firebrand Snapback Unblockable, or how to get out of Ultimate Web Throw setups, or that Spencer has a grounded overhead he tends to use after an XFC'ed Bionic Arm, or that Felicia is just a gigantic shitpile of infuriating gimmicks!

Nah I meant that one. The Skullgirls jab was trolling though :)

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

boxcarhobo posted:

^^ If you do get the disc, don't get the free shipping from play-asia. It's worth it to pay, Ixiggle pre-ordered with standard shipping and still hasn't gotten his game 2 weeks later :[

I've got a good feeling about today!!

I just wanna Kagura :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

Goons are playing #r on PC instead.

yeah this, +r netcode is worse than the netpatch for #r (at least in my experience) and also a lot of us don't want to pay for XBL so its the best option. Get it here and join us in #goonsgarden on synirc for games.

• Locked thread