Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

MvC2 looks good except for the backgrounds. All the sprites are really great though.
The main problem with MvC2's sprites is how much they contrast. You have the ones pulled from DarkStalkers, the ones pulled from Alpha, the ones made like 5 years ago for an entirely different game, the ones made for MvC2 specifically...

It's amazing it doesn't look more slapdash than it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

von Braun posted:

Just imagine the impact this will have on the fighting game community. I don't think it will survive. Time to quit playing, I guess.
RIP fighting games, 2008-2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Matchbox posted:

Never even heard of Persona, guessing it's some kinda anime
JRPG series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really like Ms. Fortune's design. Iunno it just seems like they made a generic design, then slapped some stuff on after the fact to differentiate it.

I do like the aesthetic of the select screen, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PalmTreeFun posted:

generic-looking robots
These are literally gundams. :psyboom:

Also Catherine: this generation's Yoshi's Cookie?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The moon styles play very differently from each other, even in relatively simple characters. With characters more... I don't wanna say complex, but more defined? They can begin to feel like completely different characters.

Unfortunately with that many characters (30 in the PS2 version of AA, though practically it's more like 26 due to the joke/boss characters) and 3 moon-styles per, some of them end up kind of inferior or outright useless. Still a pretty neat system, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm really curious to see how Marie plays. Double, too.

Mostly because I don't want to be Peacock player number 5001.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mini-bosses can still be playable!

Also I will only play Umbrella if she at least three of Amingo's moves. Don't ask me why she reminds me of Amingo, I don't know either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meta Knight is a perfect representation of smash players, being round and incapable of proper speech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Someone please measure the fun achieved by doing Dan's super taunt tia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Van Ishikawa posted:

Xtreme Beach Volleyball.
Is probably a more legit competitive game than the actual DoA games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xlyfindel posted:

The only other health restore i can think of is Elena's SA3
A couple of games have vampire characters that suck life from their opponent when using certain moves?

But it's probably depend on how quick the move comes out. In most cases any situation where you'd have time to use Elena's heal is a situation you could instead use to go for a mixup or something, but if the move comes out real quick and heals a decent amount without charging, Yukiko could get some situational use out of it.

What would be really amazing is if the move came out quick enough that she could use it between hits in certain combos without actually dropping the combo, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

New Darkstalkers game, probably.

Meaning that it's going to be even more heartbreaking when it plays like molasses.
At least there's Jedah! I mean, they'd have to actively try to make him slow or boring.

:japan:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My problems with skullgirls don't have anything to do with the anime art style and everything to do with the pantyshots. I'll still probably end up playing it since it looks fun but I just can't help but wonder why they felt the need to put those in. Especially so goddamn many.

And KoFXIII looks like it's picking up some traction in the US already. Not a fuckton, but a little bit. We'll have to wait and see when it comes out, but it getting a decent scene going isn't an impossibility.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

40 OZ posted:

Out of curiosity, does seeing underpants mean something in anime or japan that we are unaware of? I.E., a guy wearing black facepaint is sort of nebulous but is incredibly offensive due to context.
Uhh... no? But pantyshots are dumb fanservice. This is a universal constant. Even if you don't care, you have to admit they're completely pointless except for, again, pandering to really creepy people.

I'm not incredibly offended or anything but it does kind of annoy me.

Speaking of dumb fanservice, KoF is looking really good, yeah. I've always had a soft spot for the series no matter how dumb it got, so it actually becoming a legit game with an actual scene is a gift from god for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've played Big Bang Beat Revolve and

well the game is still kinda wonky (they had to patch out a fuckton of infinites) but it's at least sorta alright. Hopefully they get their poo poo together for the sequel, but my hopes aren't that high.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ashenai posted:

It should just show "O hit combo" when there's nothing going on. What if I fell asleep during the match and I'm not sure if I'm in the middle of a combo or not when I wake up?
I want them to do this, without a hint of sarcasm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metrohunter posted:

Have there ever been any 9-1 matchups besides Petshop-Iggy?
Does Smash count?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Banana Shiki Appreciation Club.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not like people use created characters or equipment in tournaments. I mean Soul Calibur's kinda dumb competitively, but not for that reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But Power Girl is DC?

Granted I agree that Marvel ain't much better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Android 18, Videl in the Budokai games, and the Tenkaichi games are pretty much all about the most inconsequential characters being playable, so you have poo poo like Pan and that one chick Bardock was friends with.

EDIT: Also Melty Blood has no pantyshots I'm pretty sure.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 18, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are a lot of criticisms you can make of the fighting game genre, objectively speaking, but "not a lot of feedback on what your action actually did" is not one of them. What the hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brosnan posted:

There's also the fact that Marvel isn't visually anime.
Morrigan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just a butt posted:

that's like saying marvel isn't anime because wolverine is in it.
Wolverine is anime as gently caress though.

EDIT:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can't wait for a certain fanbase to flood the donation drive. :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

As one of the top 20 Melty Blood players in Brazil*, I would love for that game to get an EVO spot again.

*note, the whole community might have around 20 people total
I'm the top Melty Blood player in the tristate area (i think im the only person who's ever played a video game in the tristate area) and I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FfbtOHDt8E

Someone rep some F/UC up in that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 9, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Divekick is a hilarious joke but it's actually very boring to watch and to play.

This is completely fine since it was never meant to really be a serious game but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Chumley posted:

The FGC only speaks the King's English, thank you very much.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime moment, my friends: we have witnessed Sir Daigo of Umehara becoming quite peeved.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

I'm completely shocked that at how the dev team responded. They seem actually sane. :psyduck:
Yeah seriously. Props to that dev team at least for being cool about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Just go full out casual play of Smash Bros. Treat it how it was made to be played instead of some bullshit rules to make it a LEGIT FIGHTER.
And furthermore don't use combos in in SF2 because that's how the game was meant to be played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Capcom didn't add new mechanics to the next game with the explicit purpose of removing competitive play. They added a combo hit counter.
Good thing we're talking about Melee and not Brawl, huh.

Seriously I agree that a lot of pro smash people are stupid but going on about how they're 'playing the game wrong' is just as dumb. It's a video game. Play it however the hell you want to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rest in peace Samba de Amigo machine. Gone but not forgotten.

But yeah all fighting game players are terrible, this isn't something unique to Smash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veib posted:

According to the only person I know who plays it it's the only fighting game where projectiles really matter as a tool to control space.
Has this dude only played 3rd Strike or something? Even in Melty, the air-dashiest game ever made where maybe two characters have a real projectile, they're still a ridiculously useful tool for screen control.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He was just Livin' La Vida Loca.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Greenlit posted:

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, I hope they turn it into a "Gathering of the Juggalos"-level shitfest and get banned again.
You want Andrew W.K. to dodge thrown garbage and sing at the same time?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

So SFxT is downloading a 812mb update on Steam and I can't find any news or patch notes.

:frogsiren: Is this 2013?? :frogsiren:
Change Log:
Added Ingrid

no other changes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Donate for Melty.

Please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, Smash players have never broken a Samba de Amigo machine. Check and mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

ARE YOU READYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR SUPER SMASH BROS AT EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Uaap4TOkk
I can't tell if he has a really thick german accent or a really thick lisp. Or both.

• Locked thread