Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Playing that new KOF, and it kind of sucks how linear some characters are and how others like Kula can do Marvel combos in the corner.

I've been using the gimmick team of Ryo/Robert/Takuma. Ryo... always loved the guy but he clearly has the least tricks of the three, regardless of how cool his parry is. Also, his sprite is loving terrible. SNKP literally forgot their own colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

My favorite is Goh. "Characters" pretty much in VF are just personifications of the martial art they worked so hard to replicate, and Judo and Goh's take on it is pretty loving awesome. I had a blast with VF5 online.

Jean looks pretty cool as I tend to gravitate towards Vidja Game Karate characters in fighters. Jeffry and Akira are also fairly badass.

I'm the only one who liked the multi-tiered stages in VF2b - I have fond memories of that badass rooftop level.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

The biggest gap in the fighting game market right now is a ground footsies based game that isn't made for underwater babies.

I, too, miss the gently caress out of CvS2. CvS2 has an almost better SNK cast than XIII.

E: Fondly thinking of Hibiki, Geese, Rock, and even gimmicky fun shitbags like Haohmaru.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I want to like DOA, but Team Ninja makes it harder to justify giving a gently caress with every new game.

I actually really liked Bayman, Hitomi and Ein's movesets and thought Jann-Lee's costumes and antics made him one of the better Bruce Lee clones. Brad is also one of the more satisfying takes on the Drunken Boxing character just due to the easy nature of the links and counters the game had; jumping over fences or rolling over tables and kicking a dude was Jackie Chan as gently caress.

Online DOA was also pretty goddamn hilarious, and way less frustrating than say Soul Cal 4 or T6 was.

It has a lot of problems, and amping up the fan service doesn't want anyone to touch it. "She kicks high" was as far back as what? DOA2?

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Jon Talbain for UMVC3. Because werewolf Ruby Heart.

HnK looks fun, but drat do the characters fall quick after being launched. The mobility of the game is obviously nice, but juggling looks to be a pain.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Chronicles is also my favorite, if only because I like to play Donovan.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I mained Paul for T6 Online and could probably count the Demo Mans I scored on one hand. I tend to be a fighter online apologist but couldn't pull the poo poo off for the life of me.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I have to agree, that face he makes after the K' combo is goddamn hilarious.

Want to see what I can do with two hands?

I'm surprised he didn't have a Tekken game waiting for him; his eyebrows are all Mishima.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I really, really want this.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

It's been a while since I played 3S, and didn't play much Ken (I mean in relation to every one else picking Ken3 every game), but you could c.lk x3 x qcf+p, qcf+k and cancel the fireball into it, right? I don't know what effect it would have on the scaling but it's an easier input.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/10/dea...meplay-changes/

It's about DOA's new(ish) control scheme. Hitting that 3 button VF-like approach. I'm not gonna lie, DOA4 was fun to look at it and play casually.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I love how Itagaki's "Top 5 Hated Games" are Tekken 1-5. He then complains about nonsensical sidegames and mentions that Nina Williams "Death By Degrees" game when there was such a thing as Xtreme Beach Volleyball.
He goes on to say that DOA5 will be "fighting game entertainment" and not just a fighting game, which makes me kind of suspicious.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I kind of like the FBI agent with the revolver/brainslug photoshopped weapon.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

DiscoJ posted:

I haven't watched a lot of competitive SC5 yet but I wouldn't expect to hear that level of detail. I think that as long as you can tell what *type* of move is being used (e.g. launcher, horizontal, vertical, poke, etc.), you'll be fine.

The main problem with trying to commentate SC5 is it's a game comprised almost entirely of match-up knowledge. It almost helps to know your opponent's movesets more intimately than your own.
I know this goes for any fighter, but it's less pronounced when things are more universal (eg - c.rh generally sweeps, that uppercut was probably a shoryu motion with invincibility/priority, that sort of thing) so if you are watching a character doing stuff for the first time, you are probably just repeating "what the gently caress is that?" over and over. In this way I think 3D fighters are inherently more difficult to commentate for one who doesn't play much.

"You can get more out of that", "he did the best punisher he could", "that stun is shake-able!", etc. are all things you probably won't know. That doesn't mean you still can't rock it. Good luck!

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

A synonym for "a bad game".

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I loved Vampire Ryu and Werewolf Ruby Heart (I know he came first), but my all-time favorite Darkstalker is Donovan.
I love making a sword fly around with a face on it and playing some sort of Indian version of Marvel's Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

I'm pretty excited about the new Dead or Alive. Things look pretty good. Lack of "she kicks high" Itagaki, inclusion of Akira and possibly other VFs, and the look of the game seems a bit more mature. Kasumi's face no longer looks like a realdoll. That stage showcased has awesome dynamic transitions. It is reported that you'd have to "Hold"(counter) over 20 moves to deplete a lifebar so no more of that mess...

Yeah, I'm pumped.