Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Electromax posted:

A part of me is sad that 3S won't be surpassed in sprite fluidity anytime soon, due to fighting game budgets and that C.R.E.A.M. mentality.

The what mentality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I have one of those and don't have too many complaints about it, but I sure as gently caress wouldn't spend $75 on it. That's over twice what I paid for mine.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does that post actually say anything other than "this is the prisoner's dilemma" and "metaknight is a piece of poo poo"?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

chumbler posted:

Also are there any good X-ism characters? It seems like for the most part people don't even touch it with a ten foot pole.

Off the top of my head: Chun, Boxer, Dhalsim, Rolento

The last two are good in all three, though.

A3 will forever have a spot in my heart because of kattobi cancels. One fight night, we pulled out A3 and somebody was showing Flying Zangief's inescapable tick throw. It did poo poo damage, but come on flying Zangief

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Have any of the DoAs been respectable on any level?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Dreamcast will forever be held dear to my heart for Project Justice.

Tardy Counters have to be one of the dumbest mechanics I've seen to date. They're nearly identical to Alpha Counters except that they're free.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Xlyfindel posted:

The only other health restore i can think of is Elena's SA3, and players only use that to troll the poo poo out of people from what I understand.

Kensou's meat bun super in KoF98. I'm sure it's in other KoFs, but like hell I'm going to bother looking it up. Heidern has a life drain grab and super in the very same game, too.

Also, healing owns the poo poo out of Oro.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Big Bang Beat had some cool ideas. I really liked the boxer guy, and the superhero-wannabe was a funny gimmick.

How badly screwed was the balance in that game?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sirlin has plenty of good ideas, but the second you challenge him on any of his opinions, he goes through a complete mental breakdown. I recall reading one of his tirades on M:tG's marketing strategy and how it was a scam to squeeze money from the players. It was a well argued piece. But one of his readers replied in a very civil manner, pointing out that some people find the collecting aspect of the game fun.

Sirlin's response was something along the lines of "You enjoy having things that other people don't," and it quickly degenerated into an attack on the reader's moral values. It was absolutely surreal to witness Sirlin's inability to accept that different things are fun for different people.

EDIT: The way Zand described him as considering himself the "God of Logic" actually covers it pretty well. And while we're discussing Sirlin, I may as well plug Kongai as a fun game until you get RNGed out by Popo.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My suggestions are "Short Short Super" and "Nachophilia"

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The moral of the story is to steal a Dreamcast and play Project Justice because that game owns and free alpha counters are loving hilarious.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I agree with UltraDavid's comment that the stream memes are getting to the point of annoying, not funny and just attention seeking by stream monsters.

Getting there?

Stream monsters/memes were annoying as gently caress fifteen minutes into Evo 2009.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
While it's Tekken chat time, what does Armor King do? I've heard he's really strong and plays very differently from King, but I haven't had much luck in digging up videos of high level AK play.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Depends on how far back hitboxes are backordered.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zand posted:

The Soul series is the pinnacle of lovely baby fighting games.

Oh come on, DoA?

On a side note, I find it funny how much sexing up Namco applies to Soul with every iteration when Tekken is a pretty "sexy" game itself.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Waterbed posted:

So I have a completely off the wall question that sounds really general discussion-y but I'm actually kind of interested in hearing this from people I don't know:

What kind of fighting game would you make if you had the chance? General aesthetics and design wise.

I would create Windjammers: The Fighting Game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Actually, I changed my mind. I'd make Cyberbots 2, and then put Sentinel in it, just for completion's sake.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Another silly idea: Take the top tier character from every major competitive fighting game and throw them all into a single game.

EDIT: For a somewhat serious answer, I would probably make a fighting game using the Three Kingdoms (Dynasty Warriors) lore. Probably a ground-based + weapon-based game. I would not, however, base it off of Weaponlord.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 12, 2012

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For all of us Dr Sub-Zero fans out there (which really should be every single person in this thread), he was on Cross Counter Live recently. Here's the VOD, he appears about 16 minutes in:

http://thestream.tv/cross-counter-live-119/

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My trick for doing Ken short short super is to buffer the QCFs inside the shorts so the confirm is as simple as pressing the kicks at the end. I do d+lk, df, f, d+lk, df, f+HK for the confirm.

It's a scrubby as hell trick and only works with Ken, but oh well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Boxman posted:

Anyway, there's also a functional reason to prefer a square gate - diagonals are actually easier to hit with them. Once you figure it out, DP motions are really easy on a square gate.

Easier diagonals is the main reason why I prefer square gate on 3D games. Trying to play Soul Calibur on a circle gate is pretty irritating.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

South Town guy posted:

I like it that they bothered to toss in SF1 characters in the poll

They left out Street Fighter 1 Mike (who is indeed a different character than SF2 Boxer) :colbert:

It is funny seeing Karin at the top of the poll at nearly 18%, though.

EDIT: I also ended up voting for Juni because she had a lot of cool stuff in A3, although in retrospect hoping for a character with an airdash, pushblock, 360, and teleport in a Tekken game was kind of stupid.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Liar Lyre posted:

You can try. The Sega Activator, which was a hula hoop you put on the floor and flailed above. Now it's like you ARE the Eternal Champion!

Has anyone pulled out a pair of Activators for a mystery tournament yet?

I'm sure those things are rare at this point, but that idea is too great not to use.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If there's one good thing to come out of Cross Assault, it's that Dr. Sub-Zero has risen from his grave again and will be doing live shows of his podcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTQhGKEcsg

:toot:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

bleep posted:

If you have MAME there is a cheat file that covers a lot of games and usually has settings for infinite time and health for fighting games. http://cheat.retrogames.com/

Or you can just go into the emulator settings and set the Neo Geo to console version.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Sorced posted:

As far as I can tell this is the origin of the skisonic rumour

That doesn't seem like a very trustworthy source to me. I agree that gootecks explanation was bullshit but blaming skisonic because of some random rumour is just as dumb.

Are you seriously telling me that the whole "blame skisonic" thing started from stream chat and nothing else.

Jesus.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PonchAxis posted:

:stare:

http://youtu.be/IubK7d95_5c

I don't know what I just saw.

A troll that broke my heart. That's what it was. :(

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For people who take better care of their equipment than I do, what's the life expectancy on a stick? I have the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX (Tekken 6 edition) that I bought about two years ago, and I can tell the buttons are starting to give out. Because it's a Hori, replacing the parts would be a giant pain in the dick that's more likely to end in disaster than anything else.

I'm asking because for some reason, 2 years feels like a short lifespan for a stick, though when I really think about it that's about how long each one has lasted me in the past.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
IIRC, Horis need to have the bottom plate unscrewed, and then you have to undo the bolts to the face plate and pull it off. I remember fixing my Tekken 5 Hori from ages ago (2007ish), and that was an incredible pain.

I'll try taking it apart, though. Not like the stick is magically going to become more functional if I don't do anything.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

oswald ownenstein posted:

So why do we hate Sirlin so much? All circle-jerking FG crowd bullshit aside, that is.

The more detailed answer to this is that for every good idea or opinion he has on game design, he has an equally bad one - most recent example: He thinks that hitstun and gravity scaling are more intuitive infinite protection systems than the one found in Skullgirls :psyduck:. I've seen on several occasions where somebody else is foolish enough to attempt to challenge one of Sirlin's worse opinions, and he has a tendency to let his ego go berserk and just talk down the other guy without actually addressing any debatable points.

Aside from that, he likes to be overcomplicated and pretentious about explaining things (which is ironic, given how much he harps on needless complexity). The yomi think is a great example, but another one is how he felt the need to apply the terms "slippery slope" and "perpetual comeback" when everyone already just calls it "snowballing" and "reverse snowballing".

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AXE COP posted:

"Don't start a chain with a move you've used before" seems pretty simple to me.

Yeah, I recently found out there were other rules in addition to that. Moves that restand seem to get hit particularly hard.

If that were the only rule, though, it would be miles easier than hitstun or gravity scale.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, cool KOF bug for those getting into KOF. These games always had the most hilarious bugs in FGs.

Why the hell does airwalking happen so much in the KoF series

Also list me as another dude who wants a Ricky Ortiz shirt.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What does Evil Ryu do in SFA2? I know he has a bigger blowout range for his CC activation, but that's the only difference I'm actually aware of.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So I was thinking of making my own fighting game based on the Windjammers IP where you can only perform specials and supers if you are in control of the frisbee.

If there are any indie studios developing a fighting game in need of a designer who doesn't actually contribute anything meaningful, I am accepting.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

And I am super disappointed that there isn't a fighting game character based on that particular sub culture, since Japan seems to thrive on including its strange subcultures in fighting games (see: half the Guilty Gear cast).

There isn't one to be found in the Power Instinct games? That series has some seriously weird as gently caress designs, and I would almost expect a ganguro character in there.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Weird FG trivia question: How many games are there where you actually start a match with full meter?

The only two I can think of are SFA3 and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Justin Wong's inability to drive is actually fairly well documented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRv99pd65xI

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bisse posted:

Characters like Rose are never going to be the best in any game ever because

ITT, a guy who's never played SFA2.

Anyway, my two cents on the original question is that a given series is going to put emphasis on the same fundamental tools, and characters who are strong in those categories will be consistently good. For example, consider Ryu and Ken. Fireballs are one of the defining characteristics of Street Fighter as a whole. Ryu, the character designed to have a better fireball, is consistently a better character than Ken (most notable exception to 3S, where fireballs are at their weakest).

It's my understanding that KoF has a similar pattern where grapplers tend to be consistently good across games, but somebody who has actual knowledge about the games should be the one to comment on that.

It's interesting to note that there are plenty of SF characters who hit all over the map too. Gief is a prime example being generally low tier in SF2 games but extremely good in SFA games (and generally high-mid in SF4 IIRC?). Other characters off the top of my head who have both been significantly good and bad in separate games are Dictator, Boxer (though I don't know if I should really count A3 Boxer), Cammy, and Blanka.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Capcom should hire David Sirlin just so a thousand nerd skulls would detonate all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Isn't Sky Stage that versus shoot em up with KoF characters?

How was that game, anyway?

• Locked thread