Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!
Buy-ins don't need to be raised as of yet because a lot of fighting gamers are still in college/poor as heck. What tournament organizers need to do is increase efficiency of the brackets and better marketing. A good example of an efficient tournament from my experience are the box arena and uci guys. They have small details that communicate matches to the players quickly and clearly, as well as a no-nonsense approach to casuals during tournament. A lot of poorly run tournaments, and I won't name any names because I think they're trying their hardest, would appeal to more players if they didn't run until 1AM or take a whole day to get to that point. If you increase the pot while still keeping the tournament running smoothly, you can keep keep buy-ins low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003

Schmendrick posted:

I tried to watch a Umvc3 stream when a friend told me about a good Chris player, but I just can't sit through bad commentating anymore. for 5-10 minutes it was just about some guys having a SoCal circle jerk or how they stroll around uncanny valley SoCal and getting high/doing nothing afterwards while a match was going on; to add insult to injury, some guy asks if he should get drunk to the stream (I get the idea it was a joke, but don't be a dumb frat guy about it). If people try to make the scene an "esport," they really gotta step up the commentating because each stream is getting worse.

Is he referring to UCI's AZ? That guy has a mean Chris. Also socal really does own and uncanny valley doesn't mean what you think it does. Throw the E-ball into the E-hoop

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

I got into the vf5 pre-launch party, is anyone else going?
I got in as well, I might be busy but I'm trying to move some things around to go.

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003

kaujot posted:

But it seems like almost every SoCal player wears some FGC-related shirt, at least to tournaments.
This is true, but we are huge nerds anyway sooo

Nobody cares what you wear, unless you are that dude in the tiger costume (fire lygah?) then that guy is kind of weird but he's really enthusiastic about fighting games so you really can't hate on him

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
I'm entering marvel and kof for the anime shirt. I've also volunteered for pool judging, but I don't know which games yet.

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003

SpaceBees posted:

So I have a question as a first time EVO attender. Where do casuals take place? I'm assuming there will be a lot of down time between when I'm playing a tournament match and not, so I want to be playing casuals. I also want to meet up with some people I've met online to play casuals, so where would a good place to do that be? I know there is a BYOC area but I assume that's more for people that are playing games not being featured.
The BYOC areas will have featured and non-featured games. When I say areas, I mean pretty everything that's not being used for tournament is a BYOC area. If you can find an empty wall socket or powerstrip, that's yours. There are always never enough casual setups, so bringing it will be greatly appreciated from everyone.

This might be obvious but, don't play casuals in the tournament areas! Evo's going to be packed this year so it's hard for the judges can keep an eye on what stations are playing what. I'm judging pools until 8pm and I would very much like to get out of there and get on with my saturday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003

Brett824 posted:

I'm fairly sure a large majority registered for the free t-shirt. I know I did.
Same, still unsure if I can get into Vegas on Friday. :goonsay: I gots to get my Anime Babe shirt

• Locked thread