Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dias posted:

Hey, dudes, how do you practice older games? Mainly, GGPO stuff when it comes to combos and poo poo. I know a lot of you have a lot of prior experience in them, but to someone that started playing FGs with Tekken 3, and always had a practice mode to gently caress around in, I dunno what to do, just keep doing 2P matches ad nauseum?

Go in to a 2 player match, put on cheats so no one loses health, go to town.

Or some games (like neo geo games) come with training modes in their home versions that you can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

All you need is an emulator that supports cheats and a cheat file, then you just set player 2 to infinite health and try whatever.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

nickmeister posted:

There are plenty of times where I'm winning, then they just turtle and somehow I manage to lose. It's pretty much inevitable.

If you have the lifelead then why are you still feeling responsible for attacking them? You make it sound like they just start playing defensive and you open yourself up for punishment when you're already winning.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Zain posted:

Starting to think GGPO is more of a curse than a blessing. When it works it feels great and responsive. When it doesn't people just jitter around and lose frames to the point of things just come out. It might just be the PS3 doesn't have that great of an online to begin with, but I'm starting to think I prefer slowdown over the alternative.

Yeah but how do you know that wouldn't be unplayable slowdown in something like SFIV style netcode? If you're playing someone on a bad connection in non-rollback games it's not a pleasant experience either.

edit: also on the original GGPO client you could configure input delay so (I may just be talking out of my rear end) you can make it so that it's more playable on a bad connection, so it's probably more down to how a game is implementing it than rollback netcode in general.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Zain posted:

Never played SF4, so I don't know how bad it COULD be that's for sure. At least a match is over quicker with the GGPO system than in the non-rollback one too.

When you get bad connections in SFIV the game slows down and stutters and just playing is really frustrating, when the connection is terrible it's basically unplayable from the weird timing of everything.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I mean there is a reason every FPS game for the last 15 years have been using prediction based rollback netcode instead of delay based netcode, QuakeWorld introduced it because the older method in Quake was just so bad to play in 1997-era internet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is the netcode decent/good or is it still crap? I know it's a vast improvement over the Console's netcode.

From what I've seen on twitter, the netcode has been described as "good" and "as good as delay based can get" and "up to SF4 level", which really was already a lot to hope for and it is fantastic that it's at a state where it's apparently playable online!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Zand posted:

Does KOF13 PC netcode have host advantage?

I think people say yes but say it's also still decent enough to be playable.

Unless you don't care about KOF13 in which case just buy the game so SNKPlaymore can stay in business go play more GGPO.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

AXE COP posted:

Is there a way to do button config outside of the game in KOF13? The screen is kind of terrible and I can't choose half my buttons because they're taken up by the other (non-existent) controller.

:shrug: Turn the controls to keyboard in game and use AutoHotKey or JoyToKey? There's no other way of configuring it right now as far as I can tell, maybe when they finish their crazy rush of fixing everything up over the next few weeks.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

It'd be lovely if I could play more than 2-3 matches of XIII online without a crash.

And man, I have some serious catching up to do.

Make sure you submit a bug report in the steam forums, those guys are really active in trying to fix all the big issues the games has in an endearing way.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Can someone give me some pointers on Maxima in KOFXIII? I've always played more agile characters that do other things (Adon, Akuma, K', Kyo) and I don't really know how to use him.

a!n posted:

Now if only the game wouldn't spaz out when you use alt-tab. Is there maybe a fix for that as well? Maybe alt-tabbing at the title screen?

I think the fix is "don't use fullscreen, if you do use fullscreen always alt tab back to the game, don't click on it in the taskbar or whatever"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Try something from the main Street Fighter or King of Fighters series? The games you mention are at the very extreme end of what you're complaining about.

But probably not KOF13, since that seems to be all big damage combos.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tae posted:

If anyone hasn't already joined, please join the goon steam group for KoF: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/KOFGoons

I don't think I'll learn too well getting my rear end kicked by Juicebox every night :(

:shrug: It's invite only and no one is in the chat room.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I think the worst worst things for me about KOF13 right now is that no one really plays it so if I play an online match and get crushed I have to wait a few minutes before searching again or I'll just get matched up to the same person again, and that the menus all use LK/LP instead of A/B to tell you what button to press, which is nice since for people new to the series but really confusing since for some reason I only remember what to do if it's an A/B/C/D button instead of punches/kicks.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tae posted:

To be fair, it's still only in "beta" for another week or so. Give it a week after its official release once everyone's tried Arcade mode and some of the trials.

Yeah I know and that's my hope at least, I do know one guy who won't buy it until release even though he might as well buy it now and start playing it right away instead of waiting.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I wonder if they'll actually improve the non-netcode online portions of the game after the beta is done with like better lobbies and better ranked and I'm pretty sure the weird levels and battle points and stuff isn't the greatest thing to count in your online.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Dorroile posted:

Some sort of chat in the lobby would certainly be nice.

Oh yeah I can't figure out how to send hate mail over steam through KOF, I really hope they fix that so I can call everyone I play (win or lose) shitlords.

edit: I'm being serious, there is something really weird about not being able to receive someone insulting you after playing them

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 5, 2013

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

I was going off of the values on the Shoryuken wiki -- I just went through a lot of Maxima combos and almost all of them did less damage than shown on it. Leona's EX earring bomb into EX V-Slash does 17 more damage than the wiki suggests. Maybe nothing changed and those values are just wrong?

It might be that you're not getting all the hits off on a stage of the combo, like you can do Terry's cl.C df C with the cl.C doing one or two hits depending on when you do the command normal.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tae posted:

I don't know who's doing the feedback, but KoF 13's netcode's been really lovely since v.9. It was perfectly fine in v.8, I don't know how they messed it up.

Are you actually comparing it to people you've played in both versions in the same setups both times? Every version they release seems to have random people either saying it's the best netcode they've done yet or that they've hosed it all up completely.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speaking of which, maybe it's time KoF grew wings and migrated to its own thread instead of lounging around in the fighting game thread's basement eating all its frozen pizzas.

Does anyone have any plans to make one? I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough for it.

The link to the old one is still in the OP if someone wants to just copy that and add more info.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I think KOF13 big long combos are dumb and bullshit and not very fun, that's my opinion and you can feel free to argue about it for a couple of pages!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

KOF98 is pretty good, it's got rockin beats and a fun cast.

But then again it has Choi, so I guess you're right.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Saw there was a bunch of new posts, hoped it was big news like a new GGXrd announcement. Left disappointed.

Got a bit GG announcement for ya right here: the game sucks, play KOF13 or 98 or 2000 or 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I thought it also came from poverty games being the cheap machines in the back of the arcade that took less money per play than the other machines.

• Locked thread