Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Almost done painting the hit box style controller I am building, but am getting a bit nervous because my order for most of the guts and buttons from Lizard Licks has been held up as a pre-order for the last month because he doesn't have Cthulhu boards in stock. I hope I get the internals before Seasons Beatings, because I'd love to have it done by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Any goons going to Seasons Beatings? October 14-16 in Columbus Ohio.

I'm going again this year, and I'm bringing Skullgirls with me! This is possibly my single favorite tournament, so I recommend everyone who is able to come!

I'm going to be going to play Mortal Kombat. Does anyone know if they'll be using 360s or PS3s?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'd be wary about pre-ordering Toodles stuff from Lizard Licks right now. I've had an order on pre-order for about a month-and-a-half now waiting for the boards to get in, and he's really vague about when he is actually going to have them.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

40 OZ posted:

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2011/7/18/atp-podcast-mortal-kombat-special-feat-arturo-sanchez-and-li.html

LI Joe, Art, and Aris seem to disagree. They say its a good first effort but the more time they put in it, the more they realized the game was bad. This podcast is a good listen if you haven't heard it.

They aren't slamming the game the entire time at all, and they go into detail into what works and what doesn't.

edit- They also say that the game really hasn't been explored enough because the scene is so small, but part of it is how the game isn't easy to crack. That is, the training mode is rear end, there is "no frame data," etc.

There is also a great discussion about balance patching.

Arturo really likes MK now. He plays on the VSM MK stream every week and is a moderator on TestYourMight.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 17, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah that doesn't mean mk9 isn't a bad game though (it is)

Thank god panty shot the game is coming to save us from our modern fighter hell.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

It's taken a few months, but finally got my homemade hit box assembled! Just have to put in the controller board and run the wires, but that should be the easy part. If I ever make another stick, I'm making it a thrown together plywood piece of crap though.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Anyone watching fighting streams or knowing about any famous fighting games players is a tiny, tiny part of the sales of games like Street Fighter. If you cater towards the fighting game community solely you are going to sell a thousand copies of your game. Most people who pick up the game are going to play some single player, maybe throw some fireballs at the friends when they come over, get rocked online a few time, and that's that.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I dunno, it's nice that it runs so smooth at 60 fps, but the Skullgirls art style has always looked like a flash game to me.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

ImperialGuard posted:

So uh yeah, about that Persona fighting game.

I sincerely hope that Mudo has a more complicated setup than that video may indicate.

Dustloop says:

quote:

Naoto's opponent has a fate gauge beneath their health. It appears as a gray skull with a number next to it. When that number reaches zero (it appears that specific attacks lower this number, and it regenerates a couple of points between rounds), the skull turns red and starts laughing. When this occurs, if Naoto can land Hamaon/Mudoon, the opponent dies instantly.

Looks like it's like that Fist of the North Star game.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Really hope MK gets a spot, but got a bad feeling it might be money hatted out. It's got a big community still that's pretty independent of the Street Fighter and Marvel scenes, and it has been able to pull in a lot of entrants at all the majors this year.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

40 OZ posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-confirms-support-for-sopa/

:megaman:

Capcom USA supports the controversial ‘Stop Online Piracy Act,’ better known as SOPA, Digital Trends has confirmed. In an email with Digital Trends, a spokeswoman for Capcom said only that, “The ESA represents us on these matters.”

Well, I know it doesn't matter much, but I was going to buy and try SxT out, but don't think I'll be doing that now.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Does anyone in here care about combo videos? Check4900 put together a pretty neat compilation of all the max midscreen and corner combos for all the MK cast. The invisible Reptile combo at 2:20 is pretty crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVNiNeIA2A

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

My god Tom Brady is the most unintentionally hilarious person alive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tLL925Uj4&feature=g-u&context=G277edbbFUAAAAAAAKAA

ninja edit:
haha i was at the gun range today shooting my new xdm 45 and i got the alert you uploaded. i pulled it up and, was standing there with like 20 people in my area, and tom says I'm coming to gently caress poo poo UP. i was laughing so hard because i didn't expect it.. i was struggling with accuracy on my new handgun, and i told myself.. I'm going to gently caress poo poo UP TOO. low and behold i went into primal animal beast mode and started destroying poo poo. tom good luck at evo and remember we got ur back win or lose

Yeah, I love Brady, but he has to stop feeding the trolls. My favorite times are when he is commentating, and the camera cuts to him and he is just hunched over the monitor reading the stream chat and yelling at people instead of watching the match. Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3o3VN9OjOM&feature=player_embedded

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

kaujot posted:

He has a shot, as he's a really great player, but I think REO or PerfectLegend, having had much more exposure to big tournament play, will be able to handle the environment/pressure better.

I dunno, CD Jr. has been manhandling Reo at almost every major in the last year. Reo had to finally counterpick with Johnny Cage to beat him at Final Round. Really curious to see how PerfectLegend does. He has pretty much avoided every MK tourney since Evo. I'm sure he's watching everyone's playstyles of streams though, and no one really has any match experience with him except Tom Brady.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is SxT really as slow as it looks? I never played SF4, but I always enjoyed watching streams of it. I tried watching some of Arturo's stream of SxT, and it was the most godawful boring fighting game I've watched. The characters are so big it seems like their pokes go across a quarter of the screen, and they have a geriatric walking pace and just slowly float through the air when jumping.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The commentators for MLG columbus are Fubarduck, BrewtusBibulus, The Answer, and 995Phil. Glad Phil got the MK commentator slot. Hope Arturo takes second man on the commentaries.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/fighting-game-community-out-in-force-at-the-pro-circuit-winter-championships/

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is playing fighters on the Vita comparable to playing them on a controller? I'm kind of thinking of getting a Vita to get MK9 so I can mess around in practice mode when I'm out of the house.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Brosnan posted:

You should put your wrist on the stick if you want to get carpel tunnel really quickly.

I played with my wrist on the stick for a long time, and I started getting signs of carpal tunnel recently. :(

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Do you have to dislocate your thumb to hit that jump button? :psyduck:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I went with the Sega Astro City layout on my hitbox and it's really comfortable. I only play MK though, and my right thumb is on the bottom left hand button of the right side buttons for blocking.

Weirdly, I also learned on a hit box because I played a bunch of music beat games.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Here's a pretty crazy Kabal combo video if anyone is into that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtzdL62a1hs

Double uppercut 56% combo at 8:00 in. I've got to work on my dash canceling more.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

It makes me really depressed I don't have an arcade like this in my city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Za_eMUcY1Y&feature=player_embedded

I would blow so much money.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

AXE COP posted:

Well thank god for that.

I want buttons that are twice as loud as normal ones.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

SilentD posted:

MK, while not all that good, is stupidly easy and drunk people like fatalities. Even a person who's terrible at fighting games can pick up a few basic combos and rip peoples heads off.

7 reel Test Your Luck is great fun for just loving around with friends that don't play fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

The issue is that it fails to prevent infinites while also succeeding at preventing players from making their own combos. It's the worst possible outcome of system design.

Can someone explain this more? I played a crap load of MK9 and people were coming up with new combos constantly throughout the game's life. Also I don't see why frame data is useless because it was really helpful in MK9 when figuring out what moves let you escape out of pressure.

• Locked thread