Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ZerodotJander posted:

So who here plays HDR Classic mode? If schedules match up it could be cool to have a regular weekly goon lobby or something.

I would. I don't bother with remix mode at all anymore but if you want to play classic mode on xbox i'll play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
:pcgaming: NEW GOONSGARDEN FOR NEXT WEEK, SUPER TURBO THIS TIME :pcgaming:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/sfchzh8qfv

Rules are in the signup page, going to do a quick ST tourney for fun this time. Everyone can play this game because it's on PC!! yay!!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AXE COP posted:

I've never played ST. Gonna body y'all though

e: oh it's at 3am, gently caress that

Im guessing you're a eurogoon then.. yeah sorry the time is set up to try to be convenient for east and west coast US boons. No one cares about stupid europeans!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Its cute how people assume picking o.sagat is an automatic win when in fact you actually do have to know how to play to use him right

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
reposting!!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Rules are in the signup page, going to do a quick ST tourney for fun this time. Everyone can play this game because it's on PC!! yay!!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Repostin again! Keep signing up assholes!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Okay, I've been trying to practice Super Turbo on GGPO, but I've sort of run into a problem. I'm new obviously, so I'm bad at the game. There are only two or three people on at any given time from the US or Canada, and they stop playing after two matches or less most of the time because I'm bad. I tried going on goonsgarden but haven't had much luck getting people to play against me.

Basically my problem is that I have no idea how to practice anything other than execution if I can't get people to play me. How do I find more people to play Super Turbo against me once in a while?

Make sure you play in the tourney tonight, and afterwards you should be able to find play buddies. You can im me on aim sometime to play and learn too if you'd like, username is FingersMLD

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
http://images.challonge.com/STgoonsgarden.png
^^Final ST goon tourney bracket^^

Congrats to babyburps69 on this weeks ST ggpo tourney. I got second, and congrats to ZerodotJander as well for placing 3rd. After we figured out who the dropouts were we had a decent number of matches, so this might become somewhat more regular if interest continues. Thanks for participating, those who did!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bebopaloobop posted:

Here's the archived stream on Youtube. Lot of blackscreen inbetween matches and some trouble spectating on GGPO, couldn't edit it out because doing video editing on FLVs is a bitch and finding a way to convert it to something without losing sync on the audio is impossible. Also some framerate issues because I forgot to change a setting before going live and nobody told me it was lagging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoZ9mwKG_0

Vega is really one of hondas best matchups. Once you get s knockdown on vega you should be able to keep pressure on him until he dies, or turtle him out, either way. If you see him walldiving, do jump back jab early to knock him away. Just remember that once you have advantage vega can't do anything to scare you. Learn how to doubletap with two fingers on a single button so you can maximize hands usage. If you're using n.honda, the best button for hands is mp, do it fast enough and you'll just whiff one quick s.mp and move forward with hands. Hit me up on aim or irc if you want to talk st honda.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

And people wonder why I take people who hate HDR with a grain of salt.

Whether you like sirlin or not, HDR is still not as good a game as ST and there's really not a reason to play it anymore.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

That arcade was pretty cool. All of the machines were in good operating condition and the Alpha 3 cab was no exception. The Happ-style stick was really hard to adjust to, and I was fuckin up my execution on account of my height (6' 7") cuz I am not used to being that far away from the stick.

Tons of fun, will arcade again.

Get a stool. Im 6'6" and I have to be able to sit on a stool when using a cab unless I want awkward muscle cramps after like 5 minutes

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fayk posted:

Really? Weird, what a shame. When I last ordered from Lizardlick (over a year ago) they were awesome. I had y stuff without expedited shipping in like 3 days (they are also in california).

Sucks if they're falling apart - especially since (because of?) they have less competition these days.

Lizardlick is actually a small shop in NC, and they used to have really great customer service. They are small and used to get backed up due to floods of orders when new games came out. Been a while since I ordered anything though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fayk posted:

...did somebody say...JOJO'S?!?

You forgot Breaker's Revenge in the list! (I'm serious!)

Yeah for real you should throw breakers in there because it owns. Wednesdays are terrible for me but it'd still be nice to know people are playing breakers even if I can't make it

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
At least get rid of a3 that game is dumb and I never could figure out why everyone thinks they like it. A2 is decent at least and garou is ok and fun to look at.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
And I have a strong distaste for SF4, but I'm having a lot of fun with SFxT. Just try it out, rent it or soemthing and decide for yourself.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

re: O.Hawk he has an OS that is basically inescapable for a lot of characters, but certain characters can escape it outside of the corner. Also O.Hawk is still a low-tier character regardless because a ton of his matches are basically unwinnable 90% of the time, with the other 10% being you made a good read and got in, and didn't gently caress up your execution.

"Unwinable" is kinda one of those on-paper terms. He does have some of the worst matchups in the game, but even with those if a hawk player gets a lucky read and a knockdown he can still win. I'd say he's settled as a solid mid tier just because of that, assuming a player can pull off his option selects perfectly.

And o.Sagat is still a way more fun char than r.sagat, r.sagat felt so completely neutered. I do like him over n.sagat.

I loving love st and it will forever remain the best fg in my eyes. If anyone feels like chatting about st or playing on ggpo / xbox via hdr hit me up on AIM or something, FingersMLD.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Yo ST people

Anyone have experience in the Gief-Fei matchup? I'm having a really hard time as gief and i'm looking for pointers. Particularly is there anything I can do if he corners me and does chicken wing, cl.hp xx chicken wing repeat? Lariat gets stuffed clean and CW, cl.HP seems to be a tight blockstring so I can't 360 or anything. Thanks!

Also if anyone wants to play st on supercade (GGPO doesn't play nice with my lovely ISP) let me know.

I'll play with you, do you use AIM? I'm FingersMLD on there (and any other online service).

Not really sure about that matchup though, it's pretty uncommon :shobon: I know I've seen that matchup played out before one some of the vids uploaded to supersf2turbo's channel, but I can't find any right now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

People love ST but I don't know if I'd call it well balanced. Character choices are very important, because especially low-tier characters like Cammy have a lot of really bad matchups.

Ken's alright but if you're going to play a Shoto Ryu is a better choice.

Ken and ryu have quite a few things making them unique and ken (both versions) is very good in st. Overall ryu is "better" I guess but he's not just "better ken".

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't know what it is about Ryu but I just don't like playing as him (in any game)

Crackbone is right in the sense that ryu generally has a better skillset but ken is one of the better characters in the game so don't worry. Ken is one of the characters that you can learn without having to be that worried about any bad matchups. I assume you're using n.ken since you're new? There's lots of available footage of st ken players on youtube, and you'll have to learn some of his tricks and cheese. If you want to st chat or play on ggpo you can add me on AIM or xbl, FingersMLD.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

Re: those GBO results. What on earth can Fei and O. Honda do against Ryu and O. Sagat anyway? Im having a hard time figuring out how they would get in, and I'm mostly used to HDR where they each have more tools to do so.

Of course, "they can't" explains the results. :shobon:

Ryu is one of hondas harder catchups but only if ryu plays really lame. You just have to grind it out and deal with it. Fei actually does pretty well against sagat really, due to some Fei tricks and the fact that Fei can AA sagat with c.fp and sagat can't hit him. Trykt is a dumb babby and was way too rusty (by his down admission) to remember/try some of it. Honda has a hard time with sagat due to his large hitbox that let's sagat fireball him easily. Im actually really comfortable with that fight once I get in since o.Honda has good grab/safejump setups on sagat, but getting in is a giant guessing game.

It was fun last night but with only one match I didn't feel like I could take it too serious. ST is too fast imo for only one match in a single elim. I can start doing more st stuff again like I did in the past if there's a continuing interest. Breakers will be fun next week now that the rules are more clarified.

ALSO I've found that SamSho2 is one of my new favorite games and think it needs more attention, that game rules (until someone picks ukyo)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

What specifically does "more ST" mean? More events? Casual FT10s? Weekly goonbat? Nightly play?

I'd like to play more as well and get better at Ryu.

Any off the above really. I always offer my aim chat id to people if they want to chat about or play st (FingersMLD). I'll make more effort to be in irc like I used to if people want to do st stuff. I'll setup some bi monthly goonbats soon and if anyone wants to play sets or grudge match thats fun too.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

McNerd posted:

The differences are very small. A few of the inputs have been simplified, Ryu (but not Ken) has a hadouken feint for some reason, some other stuff.

Not really true if you play a lot of st. There are quite a few jarring differences but if you're just a casual masher you would never know.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
For what its worth almost all of the harder exectution in st is unnecessary. If you're going to use blanka then yeah you have to learn ToD but no one uses him and if you use n.ken then you have to learn to do short short super which is hard because it involves a weird karacancel of a third short. Balrogs jabs into super is also pretty difficult imo but you don't see it much. Fei's poo poo is hard but no one uses him either. Bisons ToD isn't impossible though and Deejays combos aren't hard for the most part except for getting the MGU timing perfect. Most everyone else doesn't have combos to worry about. Its apples and oranges to me when comparing to GG because ST doesn't have nearly as many mechanics or long combos.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

Ken's renda cancel isn't that hard, it's just one extra button than the intuitive motion and you can piano it. The thing is you'd never know to do it without reading the wiki or hearing it from a veteran, like a lot of things in the game. Blanka's ToD isn't really necessary either; I'd say only Deejay and Dictator really need to have the ToDs down (I cannot play Deejay because I simply can't get MGU to do all the hits, it's some mystic poo poo).

The loops are really the hardest thing in the game and they are hard. If you watch the Japanese play the Fei Long and T. Hawk players are just terrifying because if they get you knocked down you basically die from option select loops (Fei's isn't really an option select but it's still incredibly strong).

It's all really character dependent, if you play O. Sagat there's not much hard execution but there are a lot of weird inputs and charge tricks in the game.

I guess when I think of "execution" I think of longer difficult combos, not stuff like OS inputs. That stuff makes sense to me I guess from playing ST/older games, but playing games with long combos annoys me. Its part of the reason I never got into any airdashers/marvel other than spectating. I didn't even think to mention something like t.hawks dp/throw safejump OS because in my brain it doesn't fall in the same category of execution.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

By the way, since you mentioned Machine Gun Upper timing: how do you do it? The only thing I've read about it is that you have to mash fast but not too fast or else you don't get all the hits anyway :psyduck: When I mash it the hits don't even combo and I just get thrown.

Tbh I haven't tried in a long time and when I goof around with deejay I usually just go for the sobat kick ToD because I can do it pretty easy even if it doesn't work as consistently as MGU. I heard it told to me one time that you should cancel into FP mgu, then after hitting FP you piano all three punches with a tiny pause in between each piano. Not sure how well that method works :shrug:

I'm a Honda player anyways, i just neg edge ochio all day when I use n.Honda so clearly I am not a person who likes doing difficult combos!

Ed: someone find that vid of the fastest st match, might have been a tougeki video between a ken and a deejay. The one where round one ended in a few seconds because of deejay ToD, I can't find it.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 4, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

I wish I could mash Hands/Lightning Legs in ST but it just ends up making my hands hurt so much that I can't play so I settle for O. Ryu :shobon:.

What method are you using for mash moves? Most people try to go wild on the button but what you should be doing is using two fingers on one button to get the five taps. I use index and middle and rapid tap alternating the two fingers and I always get the moves when I want. Practice using mp with honda, first tap will get you s.mp then you should be quick enough that it cancels into mp hands.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If you use claw in st then no matter how nice you are as a person you are still kind of an rear end in a top hat. That is the dumbest character.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yatagarasu page says they needed $73,000 for ggpo and its above that now so I guess ggpo is going to happen? Game seems pretty neat, hopefully it will run on my old laptop. Does anyone know if there even a tiny chance that it will get a console arcade release like skullgirls did?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YpjbFSj_eY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Heres a basic system mechanic video for yatagarasu if you're like me a didnt know much about it. Mostly just basic game stuff, game uses four buttons and has a 3s style parry system. I'm actually curious to see if there are many differences in the parry system from 3s.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Yeah, 99.9% chance they'll put the SC5/MLG sticks on sale.

Also- Yatagarasu is up to $80.5k, 4.5k away from rebalancing/new moves/new voice acting for the current characters. I've been playing 4.3 from the bundle deal, and it's a huge amount of fun.

Is there a parry wiff animation or like a longer delay between parry attempts than third strike? I'm curious to how the system is different than 3s parries other than having a button.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That actually sounds pretty great, when I heard about parries I was worried it would be too much of a 3s clone. Do you have to be in neutral to parry or can you hit the button while holding back? What you described sounds like it would go a long way towards making it a more footsies oriented game to me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Wheres that pic from neither tineye or the google are helpin me here

I saw it on arcadeshocks facebook page along with some other stuff they're uploading at tgs. Not sure if that's where it was from originally.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are there still people in goonsgarden that will play st? Havent gotten on there in forever and I miss playing st.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Faffel posted:

I want to learn ST, but I'm bad + new at fighting games so I'm probably not what you are looking for.

Are you east coast? I'll teach you if you are.

I'll play with west coasters if the ping isn't too bad, where I moved a year ago there is exactly zero fg scene so I kinda gave up practicing but I miss it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What are the odds of those ps3 sticks ever being updated to work on ps4? I don't really need a ps3 stick but I'd like one for ps4 in the future if Xrd comes out for it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
People used o.hawk in the first place because he has better normals. N.hawk is usable because he can OS into super.

Was that nanako list put together by characters used and win rankings? Little surprised by a small handful of the rankings.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

Other than he's cooler (his super owns) does ST T.Hawk have any major advantages over O.Hawk outside of a rarely landed super. I remember there being some slight differences in normals, but I don't really mess with the O. character all that much.

No. O.hawk has a few normals that are slightly better, enough to make up for not having a super. N.hawk can option select into the super though, so there is that. Thats the main differences, without going into frame data about it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sade posted:

ST Ryu overhead > sweep is a one frame link that only works on most (all?) characters crouching. If you've never hit it before it's just because one frame links are even fiddlier in ST than in most other games.

You can also do overhead > cr.forward > super. I mean, I can't. I don't even try fancy stuff in ST. But it is possible.

I played afrocole on ggpo some years back and he hit me with ryu's f.hp, c.mk xx super. I didnt even know you could hit that until he did.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I want to play sfv but the only stick I have now is my xbox 360 TE I've had for 7 years now. Are there any easy mods to add a ps4 pcb or whatever? Haven't dealt with mods in a long time and I don't want to have to buy a new stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Depends on your definition of "easy". I've heard the Brooks PCB works well but it will be some effort to mod it in.

http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/07634198/

I'll take a look at it. I've modded sticks in the past but it's been a while. There hasn't been anything like reported input delay with ps4 mods has there?

• Locked thread