Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So my Hitbox came in the mail today. Pretty cool so far. Lots of stuff is way easier, like balrog dash up ultra and TK whatever(haven't tried burn kicks yet). It feels like I get 1 button fireballs and dps, though I'm not quite perfectly consistent yet, which is most apparent when doing ultras. I haven't tried marvel yet, but I'm looking forward to easier triangle jumps and backwards wave dashing. Most confusing part is thinking about jumping with my thumb, and even jumping with my right hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I played SF4 on a keyboard for a bit and to me, it's just so awkward. DP's are definitely doable but they are SO much more natural on a stick.

I also like charge characters a lot so I'm kind of a japanese square gate purist. I can do Balrog's BnB juggle into ultra on a Japanese stick in my sleep. On the 3DS pad/stick it's pretty yucky. On a keyboard or an Xbox pad? I don't think I can even do it. gently caress, on the standard 360 pad I can't even do a hadoken. That thing was designed for navigating menus and switching to different guns, not for actually controlling any character in any videogame any way.

But that's just me. I know a few pad players who are way better than I am, so it's all a preference thing.

So I bought a hitbox as well, and I think charge characters are great to play on it. Basically, when you hit both up+down, it counts as up. So, when you are downbacking, doing a Balrog headbutt is just jump + punch. It lets you think about jump as an attack button, and I now hit it with my right thumb when doing moves like that. Then, the left hand is free to do the ultra motion. It feels quite nice.

My biggest problems with it is that left+right gets you neutral. I think it would be much better if it gave you the direction of the second button you hit. There are times when I accidentally leave back held down too long, and I miss my charge ultra input for it. If it gave the second direction you pressed, Balrog U1 would just be [holding back]->double tap forward + PPP.

In addition, fancy charge tricks got way easier. I haven't tried Urien charge partitioning, but dash up ultra with Balrog is laughably easy on the hitbox. I can do it consistently on the hitbox whereas I cannot come close to consistent on the stick. Dashing in general is much easier, since hitting a button twice is definitely faster than pushing the stick twice.

I do miss the satisfying feel of a stick when using it though. The DP motion "feels" much more natural on a stick, but is still faster to execute on a hitbox.

I think 720s are pretty hard on it though. I bet that, if you practiced, standing 720s(1080s?) would be more reasonable on the hitbox than on a stick, but the up button placement makes the motion awkward and I haven't cared to practice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I betcha stuff like dash ultras are a hell of a lot easier on a hitbox. Can't people also do standing 720s without having to buffer them into anything?

You're right though, even though a hitbox might be better than an arcade stick, there's just something about a stick that just feels so satisfying. There's just something about doing combos with a stick that makes you feel like a badass. Can grandma do a FADC Ultra with ease? Can your girlfriend? Even that hardcore gamer who doesn't play fighters? Nope. To the uninitiated it's like you have magical fingers.

Of course, then you actually play someone who is good at the game and your soul is crushed, but hey man, I gotta take what I can get, you know?

I've seen videos of people doing standing 720s on a stick in sf4, but I assume they just have magical hands that can do poo poo like that. There is a hitbox video of a guy doing it over and over as well, but the stick video was more impressive. I want to see him do a standing Tager 1080 on a hitbox, then I will be impressed. :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sade posted:

The only character left to reveal is Umbrella now, and we still haven't seen any gameplay of Painwheel. What's the release date on this game again?

There is gameplay for painwheel here: http://www.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/

I haven't watched it all, but she has focus attack-like normals which can be "charged" and absorb hits, and then the hits taken are added to the damage of the normal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dias posted:

Youtube comment?

TTT2 is too Marvel for my tastes, who ever heard of long juggling combos in this series? That's insane.

It is the first comment on the webpage with those videos.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bebopaloobop posted:

I don't think this would be fun for anybody. Fighting game players like being able to play their character(s). The only gimmick tournament really that has worked is character auction, because there's some choice for the players in who they get to play.

I liked the idea of the sf3 single character team tournament. Too bad Chun won with only three of the allowed five players. I think that could work in other games.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

For SF4, I think most people would recommend starting with Ryu. He'll teach you a lot of good fundamentals, he's extremely flexible regarding whether you play him aggressively or defensively, and he's a lot of fun to play--at least I've found that to be true.

Balrog also gets mentioned as a good starting character. He hits like a truck, has good health, and very nice normals. He is a charge character, though, which may or may not be to your liking.

I, too, would like to know about UMVC3, though. I just picked that ones up and have no idea who to start playing around with.

May as well just pick Wesker.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tzz posted:

No. Even if you used the grid layout, which reduces building and actions to 16 keys, you'd still need at least 18 more (ctrl and shift, hotkeys, location hotkeys, space). And that's not counting stuff like hatchery cycling for injects that not everybody uses.

A SC2 stick is stupid any way.

Doesn't seem that stupid, at least as a keyboard replacement. Sanwa buttons are much easier and faster to press sequentially than keyboard buttons are. I wouldn't want to gently caress around with a trackball over a mouse, but there definitely seems like there is room for a keyboard replacement.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Minijaka posted:

A trackball is at least useable because you can still do small movements. Aren't joysticks just on/off? Good luck doing any sort of combat micro with these sticks.

The second place entry at least had the right idea of including a mouse pad, but it's directly partr the buttons so I'm not sure how that is suppose tomousek either.

If they really want to have an "arcade stick" usable by SC players, it would be easier and more functional to just glue a stick to the side of a mechanical keyboard. They can still add whatever bright rear end LED and stickers they want.
Yeah I'm not suggesting using the stick part either, just the buttons. I was imagining using a mouse with the right hand and the "stick" with the left.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wow from the related links I can't wait for the new Neo Geo Portable. It is sure to be a hot seller with cool titles like....King of Fighters 94?

I will buy one if they stick kof98 with ggpo on there, but they certainly won't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I Am The Scum posted:

I have a quick stick question. I wanted to get the one in the OP, but it is no longer being manufactured, and costs far more than it should. Is there a current alternative available?

To put my situation into perspective, I was interested in trying out a stick, as I have a mild interest in fighting games, and have only been using my standard 360 controller up until this point. I don't want to spend too much money for a stick, only to find out that they're just not right for me. $70 is probably my limit, and I would rather not purchase something used.

If it matters at all, I prefer 3d games over 2d, particularly Soul Calibur.

Any "good" stick is going to cost at least $100. It may potentially be cheaper to buy a cheap stick, and put good parts in it, but I'm guessing you are still looking at around that much. I've heard the WWE brawlstick is the current recommendation for cheap sticks that are easily moddable, but I can let others who are more knowledgeable comment on that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So who wins in a fight, yomi 2 Goku or yomi 3 Sephiroth?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rascar posted:

Apparently there is going to be a new patch to 3SO.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/06/17/iron-galaxy-studios-reveals-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-online-edition-patch-plans-and-details/

I don't know how many people still play this, but its pretty cool I guess.

They don't say they are going to add a sound when you find a match with matchmaking. I don't play 3S really, but the most annoying thing about 3SO to me was not only that matchmaking took forever, it was that it didn't make any noise so I had to literally poll my tv to see if I found someone. I'd rather go look at my PC until I found an opponent, but now I miss them if I do that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brosnan posted:

I'm not really sure why people would fund a project that probably should've ended at being a funny YouTube video instead of an actual game.

This is what I assumed it was, seeing it played was quite the surprise. I get that its amusing if you have the spare time to code it up, but do they really think they are going to make $30000 off it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

(I'm still kind of hesitant because I have issues with the larger "FGC", but this might not be the best thread for that.)
What sorts of issues? The Let's watch pro street fighter thread might be better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I hate to bust in and rant like this, but I've had it with trying to get my MadCatz TE Rnd 2 fight stick to work with my Mac. I've done everything I can think of, everything that's out there on the net and everything that's been suggested on SRK Tech Talk that I can find and absolutely nothing works.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell might be the problem?

What dark ritual do I have to perform to get this goddamn thing to operate? Do I have to make some kind of mf'ing sacrifice to MarkMan before this thing will even be detected and run like a joystick? I'm so sick of using some decade old USB Logitech gamepad to play SFAlpha2 and Vampire Savior.

Install Linux Windows, problem solved.

(You should mention which console your TE is for, at least in windows that makes a difference.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nodoze posted:

If only SNK made this game instead :sigh:
Fixed that one for you. Pretty sure gems and molasses wouldn't fix it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

South Town guy posted:

It would be kinda funny if the hoveing meant he was invulnerable to foot sweeps.
Then again, being Superman, that being his only invulnerability would be funny in itself, as would the reaction of competitive players if that were the case.

A new Pet Shop: the hero FGs deserve.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Skullgirls stole the infinite prevention thing from OMF

OMF also had rollback based netcode, and probably outperforms other modern ggpo games if you are playing on a LAN. Unfortunately it is IPX only and not regular TCP/IP, so you can't do it simply over the internet, and it wouldn't scale well even if you could.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Heren posted:

As a tangent off of this are there any free fighting games that would be good for getting into the genre? MUGEN is a thing but the impression I've gotten about it from various places online has not been good. The one Rokstar mentioned is apparently supposed to be a high-quality product but isn't available yet as far as I'm aware.

It's been enjoyable to read the analysis of different games in this thread but it seems like due to the various factors of balance and etc. it would be difficult to pull off a quality fighting game as a indie or no/small budget project. Is there one out that's worth looking at (preferably free/cheap)?

Play old games on ggpo, it's illegal if you don't own the pcb, but free in practice. I would start with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

As far as fighting games created with the intention to be released free, no I don't know of any good ones.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

From what I understand, fighters with high mobility like airdashing and doublejumping, tall arenas, and fast pace count as anime fighters. For some reason Marvel doesnt count as an anime fighter though.

Marvel 3 is anime.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ryoga posted:

A little warning, the ps3 will not detect arcade sticks on ps2 games.

Not TEs anyway. If anyone knows of a stick that works for these, I'd love to hear about it.

Is this true for downloadable ps2 games? I know it is true for ones in the drive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dodgeball posted:

I like the idea of tweaking a character a bit to suit your play-style, provided it doesn't drastically change the character.
I basically feel the exact opposite way here, guess you can't please everyone. The gems were pointless additions that were clearly just a money grab, adding meaningless percentages to your damage/defense. The gem system I envision working is one where there is no dlc, and you get one gem per character. The gems then COULD drastically change your character, because you aren't worrying about balancing the game for people who haven't bought some of them. Basically, something like Cvs2 grooves(even custom grooves, though good luck balancing that), or even umvc3 heroes and heralds would make your choice of gems actually interesting, and not had all the terrible PR over dlc.

I'm content to just let sfxt fail though, I never really had high hopes for it. Hope Capcom doesn't give up on fighting games forever, but we'll live even if they do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Dark Wind posted:

This might be kind of a weird question, but recently I've been getting really into fighting games. I've always been mediocre to terrible at them, so I've made it my personal mission to become competent and actually know how to play and approach them. Over the last two months I've picked up a good amount of the most recent titles include Tekken Tag Tournament 2, SSF4:AE, SFxT, and Persona 4, and I've been enjoying them all immensely. However, since it's kind of an overwhelming amount of options, I kind of just want to sit down and buckle/focus on one game. I'm wondering, at the current state, what would be the best game to focus on? in the future?

Edit: I'm playing on a PS3, if that changes anything.
Just to shill a little bit, people on irc will play all of those games(except sfxt most likely). Check out #goonsgarden on irc.synirc.net, we are cool and always willing to play with new people. That way, you can play long sets against people who can actually give you advice based on how you play, instead of single throwaway matches that you learn little from.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Well I'd rather see the game come out and live and die under its own merits before people throwing it in the shitter before there's even so much as a gameplay video.

And the Darkstalkers crew in Marvel 3 all animate great and are very faithful to the series in appearance and character, and I don't see any reason why it would not be even better yet in a proper new game.

Their animation is not nearly as good as the 2d versions, and it will only be worse for characters with more complicated animations like Jedah.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

boxcarhobo posted:

pick synIRC from the server list thing and then /join #goonsgarden

It isn't in there by default, you have to add it.

If you feel like editing a text file, you can open C:\Documents\<username>\Application Data\X-Chat 2\servlist_.conf and insert the following lines on the second line:

N=synirc
E=IRC (Latin/Unicode Hybrid)
F=19
D=1
S=irc.synirc.net/6667

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

This contest is kind of cool, I do like the idea, but it seems to me like a better idea would have been the same contest for all 8 game slots. Let the community pick what games are at evo, makes perfect sense to me. Sure, it would probably guarantee that Smash got in, but surely 90% of the games on that list are more deserving of a slot than SFxT, and I think the community's donations would reflect that nicely.

(This idea rests on my assumption that the community likes kof enough to donate for it. If not then gently caress it, scrap the whole thing!)

Not to mention that it's a travesty that ST needs to win a donation contest to be at Evo while sfxt gets a free pass.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 31, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Super Turbo getting all this donations is making me sad :(

I like ST a bunch more than Skullgirls but I want SG to win so it gets more exposure and maybe more support. :(

I bet Skullgirls is doing a lot better than it would have if those ST big donors had done them early. Sure, smash people would have seen it coming, but I bet a lot of the SG donors are actually "not-smash" donors, and wanted to give to a contender. In short, I don't think SG really had a shot given the ST people's plans, and it was only because of how they did their donating that it appeared otherwise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Super Turbo winning over something new would be so incredibly disappointing, but I guess if Spooky really does hold a drive for it then it's a foregone conclusion.

Yeah I would hate it if a really good popular revision of the game that started the genre had a huge tournament. That poo poo would suck!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CVagts posted:

Maybe I don't understand the fighting game community, but I don't agree with dissuading anyone from donating for breast cancer prevention/awareness.

http://www.givewell.org/

If you really want to help human beings, there are much more efficient charities for your money. The Against Malaria Foundation can save a life with an anti-malarial bed net for African children for $5, doesn't that make more sense? If I donate to this, it is because of the Evo game. The fact that it goes to a nonprofit instead of some dude is a nice side benefit, but if I really wanted the money to do good for the world, I'd donate somewhere else.

It is kind of weak to discourage donating to a winning contender six hours before this thing ends. I hope it is resolved soon or the contest is extended.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

As inane as that ruleset is, it looks like it's for casual, 4-player, items-on, and brawl rather than melee. What do the rules for melee tournaments typically look like, anything outside of no items, final destination?

They allow for more than just final destination. I think you can even play on poke floats and stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Liar Lyre posted:

One that really irks me is a hard limit on number of ledge grabs. And the whole rigamarole about stage picks and counter picks.

Yeah I'd love to hear someone walk into a room of people playing smash and complain about too many ledge grabs. It's been many years since I played smash but anyone saying that would be laughed out of the room.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fayk posted:

And one minor nitpick from the previous post: for people wanting to use the 360 sticks, you 'probably' can use them with your PC, you'll just need a driver unless you're on Vista or LAter (ie, MacOS, linux, way old stuff like WinXP etc) since 360 controllers aren't basic (class compliant) HID Devices. But it can be done.
I've never needed to seek out anything to use my Xbox TE in Windows XP, it works out of the box. I think Microsoft wants 360 controllers to work everywhere. It even worked out of the box on my Linux machine, but I admittedly had an up to date kernel so I don't know how it would be if you used something old.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brosnan posted:

Also it's worth restating that it's significantly harder to mod a PS3 stick to work with 360 than the other way around. This will be especially problematic if you get one of the SFxT Pro sticks, which are great sticks except that there's very little room to work with on the inside, so adding extra PCBs and stuff is very difficult. The only real solution to that is to get a total PCB replacement like the PS360+, which is a little pricier and tends to sell out quickly because of how handy it is for this particular case.

For what it's worth, the PS360+ works quite well, and the mod (for a 360 stick at least) was quite easy. It was expensive($60 with no usb/rj-45 cable included) and it does sell out all the time, so the choice is yours.

I am doubtful on the Cronus's devices latency claims, supposedly it is 2.5 ms of latency but who knows. If someone has one and wants to run that Guitar Hero test I'm sure it would be helpful.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 6, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm not sure if there are pcbs that let you hook up the left stick, though if you can hook up both inputs separately, it would also let you avoid crossups entirely in marvel because of Capcom's dumb bug. Sounds fun!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah, but those guys who make and sell Hitboxes have started hardwiring them so that it doesn't register opposite directions at the same time.

Yeah, but it is still Capcom's bug. The ideal is having a pcb that lets you turn socd cleaning on and off, because in games like Tekken, having it on is pretty unfair. It seems like a shame that they had to put that in the hardware because of Capcom's poor coding.

You can do the same trick on a pad if you feel like pushing the left stick and the right dpad button at the same time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Innominatus posted:

I thought that was only in Vanilla. Didn't they fix that issue in UMvC3?

Maybe they did, I haven't honestly tried it since then. It would reflect well on Capcom if they did, would be nice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Snake_in_a_box posted:

Big news from the MLP fighter guys:

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/m6v2.html

This is pretty cool considering how much work they've already put into the game. The team seems to have some pretty okay ideas and adding Faust into the mix makes me want to see what they come up with. This also comes with the added bonus of almost eliminating the draw for most of the bronies following the game.

You heard it here first: the game's new name is gonna be "My Little Donkey".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I know but none of the current fighting games are even fun enough to enjoy losing to get better.

Maybe I need to try to get into persona again.

ggpo! ggpo! GGPO!

Getting good at ST will make you good at like, every ground based FG.

• Locked thread