Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Yinzer posted:

Can you still offer a 10 year contract for a player?

Yes, it's just less attractive. Since cap hit was based on AAV, teams could (and would) add multiple minimum-salary years at the end of the contract. After the Kovalchuk contract, a rule was added so that a contract's dollar total could drop no more than 50% from any one year to the next. The league's actions around the contract also showed that the NHL would step in and penalize a team if they tried to get around the spirit of the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

bewbies posted:

Well, I was referring to the era in which relatively modern protective equipment did exist but yes Eddie Shore did almost kill someone. So did Newsy Lalonde.

I do think that it is pretty much unequivocal that there are more hits from behind, charges, elbows, etc over the last couple of years than there were 20 years ago. There are a lot of factors that go into why this is the case, but I think that the relative lack of on-ice accountability is certainly one of them.

More elbows than in the ninties? I have a hard time beliving that.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

Look Around You posted:

This is awesome :)

Whereabouts do you live? Or if you don't have any geographical ties, what sort of teams do you like? I can offer recommendations (beyond the Penguins too!) ((e: so can others here too!))

I live in Youngstown, Ohio which is almost exactly halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Generally I root for Cleveland sports teams and I just cant bring myself to like the Penguins even though there is no Cleveland NHL team. I have enjoyed watching the Kings, Flyers and Blackhawks the most up until this point.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Ok, I have become a much larger hockey fan over the past 3 or 4 season. I still have questions about Collective Agreement (in all sport leagues, really.). The current NHL Agreement is set to expire September 15th, if season starts around October 6th, like it did this year. Does that only allow one month to negotiate? Or will negotiations be running all summer long? My only knowledge on this subject is from, http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlnewsscoresstats/a/Nhl-Lockout-In-2012-A-Look-At-The-Issues.htm

Is re-allignment going to be a huge issue in the negotiations or will it mostly be about Cap Floors and guarenteed contracts? Also, before the league locked out in 04-05 was there a feeling of a definite lockout? Or did that come as a surprise.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

blackshreds posted:

I live in Youngstown, Ohio which is almost exactly halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Generally I root for Cleveland sports teams and I just cant bring myself to like the Penguins even though there is no Cleveland NHL team. I have enjoyed watching the Kings, Flyers and Blackhawks the most up until this point.

Haha, this makes sense.

Some advice though: One team that you do NOT want to root for is the Columbus Blue Jackets. That has nothing to do with a Pens rivalry with them or anything (there is none; nobody has a rivalry with them), they're just a poo poo team. Their management is atrocious and they make pretty much the worst decisions ever. A prime example of this is how they've handled their star and captain Rick Nash's trade request; they got offered a pretty good return and he wanted out, but they woudln't take it. They also spend (very close) to the salary cap, and yet they consistently manage to finish close to last in the league (this year they actually did finish last). Despite this, they refuse to fire their GM. Basically they're hopelessly doomed to mediocrity until their ownership wakes up but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

The Flyers have a pretty dynamic, offensive team and now that they don't have Richards and Carter anymore, they're honestly a pretty likable team (other than Danny Briere, but every team has unlikeable people). Their goaltending situation is always in flux too, despite recently signing Ilya Bryzgalov to a huge 8 year deal. Caude Giroux is quickly becoming a star, and they have Jaromir Jagr (at least until the end of this year) who is old but still pretty good and fun to watch. Scott Hartnell is ridiculous and does funny poo poo sometimes too. Wayne Simmonds is an amazing power foward with a great netfront presence who came over from LA in the Mike Richards trade... he sort of came out of nowhere this year, scoring a career high 28 goals. The Flyers also have a ton of good rookies (such as Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn and Jakub Voracek) and should be pretty great for years to come.

The Kings are a huge underdog story this year. They barely backed into the playoffs and ended up defeating the Vancouver Canucks -- who were top in the leage and in the Cup Finals last year -- in the first round, 4 games to 1. Players to watch are Jonathan Quick, their goaltender, who is just flat out amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter for Team USA in 2014 if the CBA lets players go (which it probably will). Anze Kopitar is fun to watch too. They also got Mike Richards and (later on in the season) Jeff Carter from Philadelphia. I can't say all that much about their style though because they're on the west coast, so their start times are usually around 10 or 10:30.

The Blackhawks are another flashy offensive team. They just won a cup in 2010, and they have potential to win more in the next few years. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane are young, star forwards who are just fun to watch. Marian Hossa is a little older, but he's still awesome to watch too, but unfortunately he got seriously injured by (dirty piece of poo poo) Raffi Torres, which resulted in an unprecedented 25 game suspension for Torres. Their starting goalie Corey Crawford is going through a bit of a sophomore slump right now, but hopefully he recovers, and their backup Ray Emery used to do crazy poo poo and get in fights all the time which was pretty fun, but he seems to have chilled a bit.

Another good team to watch is the Nashville Predators; they're kind of SAS's bandwagon favorites because they're just fun to watch, and they've turned Nashville, TN into an amazing hockey market. They've got great defensemen in Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, and a bunch of good, but not technically star forwards. Radulov, who came over from the Russian KHL at the end of the season is a great forward, but I don't know what's going on with his KHL contract after this season. Their main goalie, Pekka Rinne is loving amazing and got a big contract, so he'll be there for years to come.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 23, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SAMB0 posted:

Ok, I have become a much larger hockey fan over the past 3 or 4 season. I still have questions about Collective Agreement (in all sport leagues, really.). The current NHL Agreement is set to expire September 15th, if season starts around October 6th, like it did this year. Does that only allow one month to negotiate? Or will negotiations be running all summer long? My only knowledge on this subject is from, http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlnewsscoresstats/a/Nhl-Lockout-In-2012-A-Look-At-The-Issues.htm

Is re-allignment going to be a huge issue in the negotiations or will it mostly be about Cap Floors and guarenteed contracts? Also, before the league locked out in 04-05 was there a feeling of a definite lockout? Or did that come as a surprise.

It was definitely more gloom and doom in 2004 because of the revenue split and the huge gap between high payroll teams and low payroll teams.

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks
I've known a couple hockey players in my day and liked every single one of them. Seems like for a lot of people, especially women, you really can't say any good things about hockey players (in general, not talking NHL)

I guess it's just one of those stereotypes, the stupid, tough, goony womanizer or whatever. It's probably not everywhere in NA but from west to eastern Canada and every place I've been in between, it's basically the same.

What do European people think about hockey players? What rap does the average puck jockey have?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hated all the hockey players on the school team when I was in high school.. they were pretty typical sports jocks who spent all their time making dick jokes or wondering which girl they wanted to sleep with. That's not really a hockey problem, it's just a sports problem in general.

All the hockey players I hang around with these days are nice guys just looking for a fun night of hockey. The dick jokes still happen but everyone's there because they love the game and once we're all on the ice it's a pretty great community.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
Does anyone have a good source for explaining the ins and outs of how the cap works?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Does anyone have a good source for explaining the ins and outs of how the cap works?

http://capgeek.com/faq/

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

SAMB0 posted:

Ok, I have become a much larger hockey fan over the past 3 or 4 season. I still have questions about Collective Agreement (in all sport leagues, really.). The current NHL Agreement is set to expire September 15th, if season starts around October 6th, like it did this year. Does that only allow one month to negotiate? Or will negotiations be running all summer long?
No they can start negotiating whenever they want. Bettman said that he thought negotiations would start around the all star game (January) but they didn't. The latest I've heard is that the PA won't start negotiating until after the playoffs end (which is early/mid June) because Don Fehr (who runs the PA) says he wants to get the players involved.

They can pretty much start whenever, as long as both sides agree on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

myron cope posted:

No they can start negotiating whenever they want. Bettman said that he thought negotiations would start around the all star game (January) but they didn't. The latest I've heard is that the PA won't start negotiating until after the playoffs end (which is early/mid June) because Don Fehr (who runs the PA) says he wants to get the players involved.

They can pretty much start whenever, as long as both sides agree on it.

Wasn't there a story a month or so ago that the player representatives had been selected?

So yeah, the whole process is probably waiting on everyone's season to be over.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

Wasn't there a story a month or so ago that the player representatives had been selected?

So yeah, the whole process is probably waiting on everyone's season to be over.

I was going on this, which is from March.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Thufir posted:

http://capgeek.com/faq/

Wow, that's really comprehensive, thanks!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Wow, that's really comprehensive, thanks!

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2221

lol

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
If you want to catch up on classic plays, players, or big events, just Search for 'History Will be Made' on Youtube. They had some REALLY good commercials back in 2010, and for a new fan, totally awesome to understand some things. Like Yzerman's blue line slapper in double OT. Or of course Bobby Orr.

Hell at this point if someone says Bobby Orr the first thing you should think of is throwing yourself in the air.

edit: and then go look up the people mentioned on wikipedia! Read about em, youtube that specific person, etc.
edit2: Patrick Roy. :allears:

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 23, 2012

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

blackshreds posted:

Just bite the bullet and root for the Blue Jackets.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Look Around You posted:

Haha, this makes sense.

Some advice though: One team that you do NOT want to root for is the Columbus Blue Jackets. That has nothing to do with a Pens rivalry with them or anything (there is none; nobody has a rivalry with them), they're just a poo poo team. Their management is atrocious and they make pretty much the worst decisions ever. A prime example of this is how they've handled their star and captain Rick Nash's trade request; they got offered a pretty good return and he wanted out, but they woudln't take it. They also spend (very close) to the salary cap, and yet they consistently manage to finish close to last in the league (this year they actually did finish last). Despite this, they refuse to fire their GM. Basically they're hopelessly doomed to mediocrity until their ownership wakes up but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

The Flyers have a pretty dynamic, offensive team and now that they don't have Richards and Carter anymore, they're honestly a pretty likable team (other than Danny Briere, but every team has unlikeable people). Their goaltending situation is always in flux too, despite recently signing Ilya Bryzgalov to a huge 8 year deal. Caude Giroux is quickly becoming a star, and they have Jaromir Jagr (at least until the end of this year) who is old but still pretty good and fun to watch. Scott Hartnell is ridiculous and does funny poo poo sometimes too. Wayne Simmonds is an amazing power foward with a great netfront presence who came over from LA in the Mike Richards trade... he sort of came out of nowhere this year, scoring a career high 28 goals. The Flyers also have a ton of good rookies (such as Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn and Jakub Voracek) and should be pretty great for years to come.

The Kings are a huge underdog story this year. They barely backed into the playoffs and ended up defeating the Vancouver Canucks -- who were top in the leage and in the Cup Finals last year -- in the first round, 4 games to 1. Players to watch are Jonathan Quick, their goaltender, who is just flat out amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter for Team USA in 2014 if the CBA lets players go (which it probably will). Anze Kopitar is fun to watch too. They also got Mike Richards and (later on in the season) Jeff Carter from Philadelphia. I can't say all that much about their style though because they're on the west coast, so their start times are usually around 10 or 10:30.

The Blackhawks are another flashy offensive team. They just won a cup in 2010, and they have potential to win more in the next few years. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane are young, star forwards who are just fun to watch. Marian Hossa is a little older, but he's still awesome to watch too, but unfortunately he got seriously injured by (dirty piece of poo poo) Raffi Torres, which resulted in an unprecedented 25 game suspension for Torres. Their starting goalie Corey Crawford is going through a bit of a sophomore slump right now, but hopefully he recovers, and their backup Ray Emery used to do crazy poo poo and get in fights all the time which was pretty fun, but he seems to have chilled a bit.

Another good team to watch is the Nashville Predators; they're kind of SAS's bandwagon favorites because they're just fun to watch, and they've turned Nashville, TN into an amazing hockey market. They've got great defensemen in Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, and a bunch of good, but not technically star forwards. Radulov, who came over from the Russian KHL at the end of the season is a great forward, but I don't know what's going on with his KHL contract after this season. Their main goalie, Pekka Rinne is loving amazing and got a big contract, so he'll be there for years to come.

I was gonna call you out on saying Voracek is a rookie, but Columbus is pretty much an awful farm team that ruins prospects instead of seasoning them so I'll let it stand. I also wouldn't say the Kings are an underdog - they had one of the best teams in the west on paper, but poo poo up the regular season and are now playing like they should've been all year.

If you want to give non-playoff teams some consideration as well, there's a few routes to go. The Winnipeg Jets are the newest team in the league, having relocated from Atlanta just this last year. It's always fun to get in on the ground floor of a franchise, and the Jets have a pseudo-history as they share the same name a team that played in Winnipeg from 1972-96. They aren't entirely awful either and could conceivably make the playoffs soon if they get lucky.

If you want to pick a team that's been down on its luck recently but could rise to be a contender sometime soon, the Edmonton Oilers have been absolutely dreadful since a Stanley Cup loss in 2006 but are now loaded with young talent that will go far in a few years if management doesn't screw it up. The Colorado Avalanche are the youngest team in the league and are on the way up as well, but have a GM who's widely considered an idiot.

Overall, just cheer for Nashville. Everyone has a huge boner for Nashville due to what Look Around You stated but there are only like four dudes who actually follow them as their first team. Or pick the local option and cheer for the Blue Jackets.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

I like this site. Kovalchuk contract truly is ridiculous.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Can a player retire while suspended?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Can a player retire while suspended?
Yes, players can retire whenever they want.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

"Guys, I'm done with this."

Oh, no you're not!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do rights work with retirement? Are they ended, or do the player's rights remain with the team until the length of the contract?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Aphrodite posted:

How do rights work with retirement? Are they ended, or do the player's rights remain with the team until the length of the contract?

the contract exists unless the team suspends or destroys it or whatever. if its an under 35 contract i'm sure a player retiring and refusing to report relieves them of their obligation both in salary and salary cap, if its above 35, nobody loving cares eat the cap hit anyways idiots

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

How would home ice advantage be decided for the Stanley Cup Finals if ends up being played by two teams of the same seed?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

How would home ice advantage be decided for the Stanley Cup Finals if ends up being played by two teams of the same seed?
Points goes first in the SCF regardless of seed.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Rutkowski posted:

Points goes first in the SCF regardless of seed.

Which begs the question, what if the teams have the same number of points?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Which begs the question, what if the teams have the same number of points?

Probably the normal tie-breaks:

1. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
2. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
3.The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That dude needs to root for the Blue Jackets.

and some day he will have his revenge.

hopefully while still in Ohio

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Zorkon posted:

Yes, players can retire whenever they want.

It will be awesome when an NHL player pulls a John Kruk one day. Scores a goal and just skates off the ice into retirement on the spot.

wikipedia posted:

On July 30, 1995, in a game at Baltimore's Camden Yards stadium, Kruk singled and retired standing on first base, taking himself out of the game never to play again.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Thanks for all the info!

I don't think I could handle another losing franchise what with my Cleveland sports misery, so I'm def trying to find a regularly competitive team. Leaning towards the Flyers for now.

Also, as a side note, having not really ever paid attention to the NHL before I still somehow knew that the Blue Jackets suck rear end.

Wangsucker 69 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 25, 2012

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
This may change with realignment but another thought is to pick a team in Columbus' division. Each team within the division currently play in Columbus three times a year so you could make a trip to see the team live. So that would be the Blackhawks, Blues, Predators, or Red Wings. The Hawks and Wings have plenty of fans so pick one of the other two, all four are good teams and competitive. I guess you could go to Pittsburgh to watch the Flyers but getting tickets there is more expensive. If you still like the Flyers better, then one of those other Central teams could maybe be your west team.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

How does that work? Did he get paid his full-year NHL salary for playing 5 games or something?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Thel posted:

How does that work? Did he get paid his full-year NHL salary for playing 5 games or something?

I'm pretty sure it's a typo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thel posted:

He was signed at the end of the season and played one game, so the way the cap hit calculation works puts it that high.

GI Joel
Nov 28, 2001

Thel posted:

From their FAQ:

Short answer, no. Jeremy Welsh's cap hit for 2011-12 is technically $17,945,000, the highest in NHL history. The long answer follows.

When a one-year contract containing bonuses is signed after the season has started, and is effective for the then-current season, the standard cap-hit formula is adjusted to the following:

[ ( base salary * days remaining in season / days in season ) + total signing and performance bonuses ] * days in season / days remaining in season

Examples of this in the past are entry-level contracts for Welsh with Carolina and Jesse Winchester with Ottawa in 2007-08 and Mats Sundin's one-year deal with Vancouver in 2008-09.

JEREMY WELSH

Base: $832,500
Signing bonus: $92,500
Performance bonus: $0
Signed on: April 7, 2012
Days in season: 185
Days remaining: 1

[ ( $832,500 * 1 / 185 ) + $92,500 ] * 185 / 1 = $17,945,000

** NOTE: Welsh's cap hit of $17,945,000 is compliant with Section 50.6 (a) of the CBA — the "20 per cent rule" — because his actual cap charge could not exceed $97,000 based on the date he signed.

JESSE WINCHESTER

Base: $762,500
Signing bonus: $87,500
Performance bonus: $25,000
Signed on: March 24, 2008
Days in season: 187
Days remaining: 13

[ ( $762,500 * 13 / 187 ) + $112,500 ] * 187 / 13 = $2,380,769

MATS SUNDIN

Base: $1,626,500
Signing bonus: $4,000,000
Performance bonus: $0
Signed on: Dec. 19, 2008
Days in season: 186
Days remaining: 113

[ ( $1,626,500 * 113 / 186 ) + $4,000,000 ] * 186 / 113 = $8,210,570

If the player is signing a multi-year contract under the same scenario, nothing changes in the calculation of the player's cap hit. Examples of this are Justin Abdelkader's entry-level deal with Detroit in 2007-08 and Antti Miettinen's deal with Tampa Bay in 2011-12.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

SubCrid TC posted:

Seriously, at the end of the day it's still a loving game and showing some amount of respect to your opponents is admirable.

Marty Brodeur refused to shake Sean Avery's hand after the Rangers eliminated the Devils back in 2008 :haw:

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Levitate posted:

Marty Brodeur refused to shake Sean Avery's hand after the Rangers eliminated the Devils back in 2008 :haw:

But Sean Avery is a grade A prick so I'll give him a pass on that one.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Why does everyone hate the Bruins? (Or just Boston sports teams in general) I've grown up in a Boston suburb and so I've been a Bruins fan my whole life, but recently people always seem to be like, any team but the Bruins should win the cup, or any team but the Patriots should win the super bowl (people don't have to worry about the sox winning anytime soon so no one complains about them). Is it just because the Bruins were raining champions and they wanted a new winner? Or is it that people hate how people in Massachusetts drive so much that they take it out on sports teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks

V for Vegans posted:

Why does everyone hate the Bruins? (Or just Boston sports teams in general) I've grown up in a Boston suburb and so I've been a Bruins fan my whole life, but recently people always seem to be like, any team but the Bruins should win the cup, or any team but the Patriots should win the super bowl (people don't have to worry about the sox winning anytime soon so no one complains about them). Is it just because the Bruins were raining champions and they wanted a new winner? Or is it that people hate how people in Massachusetts drive so much that they take it out on sports teams.
, mostly

• Locked thread