Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Hirez posted:

Good example of a super fast player doing a chip and charge on an elite defenseman in a game 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBvLY30mXY

I knew what that was as soon as you posted it. That was my favourite goal of that years playoffs, it's just so ridiculous. Gonchar just makes it look like he's trying to slow him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Capt Murphy posted:

Anyhoo all that said, I'm still struggling to get into regular season hockey. I think part of the problem is that offense just looks like organized chaos to me. I'm wondering if there are some things I can focus on or stuff to really watch during games that will help me understand offensive play. I get the rules for the most part, but I want to understand what it is teams are doing going forward.

In a large part it is organised chaos. Each player on offence has a spot where they ideally will be, but there aren't all that many set plays because hockey is largely a game where you're reacting to what is around you. The closest to set plays you get are off faceoffs where the defence has to react to the offence quickly. Of course, once a team has a pp, they have a lot more time to set up, so you'll see set plays in that case.

The transition game actually has a lot of set plays, but you'll really only see them on power plays because thats the only time there's enough time to set up the exact play that's been drawn up. Otherwise, the forecheckers are there to either pressure the puck carrier into making a less good choice, or the back guys are plugging up the neutral zone to also prevent the desired play from happening.

Cycling down low is probably the closest thing there is to a set play you'll see at even strength, where one guy gets the puck, starts moving, then dishes a short pass to another guy, usually in the corner still. The idea here is more to keep possession than try to score, although cycling does often lead to poor coverage which will eventually lead to a scoring chance. Since the interference/obstruction crackdowns have came down, there's a lot less need to do a "pure" cycle these days (ie., 2-3 players keep the puck in the corner for a long time by moving and making these short passes), so it definitely looks more and more like organised chaos. The point of offence in hockey is to try and get a man free, get the d to react to him, one way or another, and score from this imbalance.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

Brettbot posted:

Are there any good blogs or websites to follow (especially for someone who has never really followed hockey before)? That Backhand Shelf blog someone posted earlier is pretty cool.

I really have nothing to say except that The Backhand Shelf is really amazing, even if only for the Systems Analysis, The Whiteboard, and Ellen Etchingham's history lessons. Sure, there are other cool things on it like simple statistical analysis, and The Quiet Room where injuries are discussed, but those 3 features are what keep me coming back.

In general, (as a Habs fan) I use Hockey Inside/out for Habs news, Puck Daddy for general NHL news and analysis, TSN for breaking news, and TBS for the cool quirky little things I might miss.

• Locked thread