Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I bet they are drafting Russian or European rights to that player. Meaning that if Crosby every decides to gently caress off to Russia (please do this), he'd have to negotiate with whomever "drafted" him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Jubs posted:

All his shots are going in the middle. Unless the thousand pound guy had a hole in his chest, all those shots would have been blocked.

His first shot goes top shelf corner. Still, it's not worth the argument. Go watch any compilation of NHL saves and you'll see that great goaltending is about reflex and speed. The shooters know where you aren't and can hit those spots no matter what. If you can't react to where they are shooting, you are doomed.

Add to this the meta-game of deceptive shots, deflections (intentional or otherwise), and the fact that FROM THE FRONT a fat guy covers a lot of the net, but from the sides it's a whole other story.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Zat posted:

Nothing really if it bails out your goalie who's not in position. But if the goalie's more or less ready to make the save, his own team-mates diving into his crease rarely helps his job.

Yeah, most goalies would get pretty upset if a friendly skater blocks their path to a potential save. Because of this, you'll see most players only enter the crease when the goalie is really dangling in the wind.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I love how almost every TV commentator calls it "intent to blow".

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

This is pure speculation, but to me skill at goalie is about 90% mental. See guys like Thomas, Bryzgalov, Rask, Price etc etc etc.

If these guys can keep mental rigidity and focus, then they can stay consistent. But if things get into their heads, they can totally destroy themselves, regardless of physical talents.

Granted, DP has had shitloads of injuries to deal with. Because of those constant injuries I feel like his confidence and focus are possibly irretreivably lost. I remember his dominant periods, but I don't think we can talk about him like that any more. In fact it's pretty safe to say those days are long gone.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I'm really proud of you for digging all that up, but I think I addressed that. I didn't for the record say his problems were ONLY mental. Even times he was ostensibly healthy he couldn't get on his game.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

He is literally one of the most doomed players in hockey history, including being forced to play for the Isles.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Chara, however, is just an educated guess. Their measuring sticks aren't that long.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's a good stat, but it's important to note that it's not like WAR in baseball. It is not trying to be all-encompassing. It is not the end-all be-all of a player.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Ummm, why? What are you planning to do?

Hey listen, I know we're all frustrated at the potential lockout, but we can talk this out.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

based on the physics of the helicopter crash I think it is safe to assume that Sudden Death takes place in an alternate dimension where standard rules of hockey would not necessarily apply

Perhaps. But a critical argument against the physics in a Vandamme movie is like a women's lib argument hosted at the Playboy Mansion.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Man, how sweet would it be to be a member of The Whale or some such and win The Cup?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

At the charity game that happened in Chicago a few months back, everyone kept chanting 'red wings sucks'. If you ever come to the midwest, that's just the thing you're supposed to yell at hockey games.

A couple times the chants morphed into 'bettman sucks' but the anti-red wings group was a lot louder.

See, I can get behind a good anti-Redwing chant. But I think now, in this hour, we should rally around each other and hurl the most vicious and cruel epithets at Our Fair Commissioner. Wouldn't you agree!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Standings points have nothing to do with goals. The formula is 2 pts for a win of any kind. 0 pts for a regulation loss. And 1 pt for a loss in OT or the shootout.

Assists are basically the two dudes that controlled the puck (and passed it along in a semi-controlled manner) before the scorer. There are lots of seemingly random ways to get an assist, including shooting the puck at the net and having it get deflected into the net to score. There's a lot of gray area here. Every game has an NHL official scorekeeper there and it is their job to credit goals and assists. Sometimes they get it wrong, bub people don't bitch too much about it.

Yes, it's totally possible to get an unassisted goal and it happens pretty frequently. Not quite every game, but often enough.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

guppy posted:

I have GCL and can choose home or away feeds. What teams have great commentators I should look for? What teams have terrible commentators I should avoid like the plague?

The New York Rangers have the good fortune of having one of the best play-by-play guys in broadcasting (Sam Rosen) and one of the worst color guys (Joe Micheletti). Enjoy!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

The funny thing is Gordie only did it twice. Stan Mikita has the most with 67.

Really the only statistic worth knowing. In this age of the specialized (read useless) brawler, this is truly a feat.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I don't think it's particularly friendly to advise someone who isn't an Islanders fan go to Nassau Coliseum. I mean have a heart, bro.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Robot Danger posted:

That just summed up Philly sports in general. I have tickets for the Columbus - LA game in a couple of days, so yay!

What is the difference between a normal pass and a saucer pass?

A saucer pass is a pass made in the air rather than on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

a false posted:

BALD
HEADED
CHAMPION

I really wish in those stupid Can-Am Spider commercials Mess is in that he'd drive off while crunching down on a potato chip.

• Locked thread