Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Hi Hockey Thread, I'm from Australia and with the AFL season just finished I'm looking for another fast-paced, highly skilled and frequently violent sport to follow and figured I'd poke my head in about this ice hockey thing. So the obvious first question is, who should I follow?

I like teams with long histories, teams who rep for cool cities and teams with reputations for politically active fans (is that a thing in the US at all like it is in European football leagues?). I follow Melbourne in the AFL so clearly a team being successful isn't very important to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

So based on a few very passionate mates (and the fact that when I visited, Boston reminded me a lot of a very cold Melbourne), I've decided to go with the Bruins. And their first game is in less than a day, fantastic! So two questions:

- Is there a big post about the Bruins team, key players, history, eccentricites etc in the thread or someone willing to do one for a new fan?

- Where is the best place for an Australian to watch hockey online?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

ThinkTank, you're a legend for that one. I was wondering what had happened to Seguin since he really impressed me in the videos of the last few seasons I'd been looking up online, so here's hoping Eriksson turns out to be worth the trade.

Is it common for icings to be missed by the ump like in that Bruins v Canucks highlights video you posted? The rule seems pretty clear-cut, but I can imagine the fast pace would make things unclear and lead to a lot of fan rage.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

So this gif just got posted in the N/V thread:

Can someone tell me why in gently caress there wasn't anybody in goals (or, as far as I could see, even a goalie on the ice)?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Kennel posted:

Rules, refs and schedule is tailored for North Americans which makes Euro fans whine even more than usual.

What are the major differences in rules?

• Locked thread