Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

myron_cope posted:

Which teams own their AHL affiliates? I know the Penguins do. Are there any teams that also own their ECHL affiliate? Do they all have an ECHL affiliate?

Also how much control over affiliated teams do NHL teams have if they don't own them? I mean, the Penguins decide who runs the Baby Pens/who's on the team/how the team operates, etc. So do other teams just get to send their players to the AHL and hope for the best? I remember reading how the Crunch were upset that Nikita Filatov was called up by the Blue Jackets to not even play when they (the Crunch) were in a playoff fight (or in the playoffs?) and now I see that the Crunch aren't even affiliated with Columbus anymore.

I remember Edmonton not being thrilled with Pittsburgh when they shared the AHL Pens one year because they felt their prospects weren't being given key roles in the playoffs (mostly the refusal to play Jeff Deslauriers over Nolan Schaefer in the playoffs), so those situations arise. AHL teams that are independently owned (like Hershey and Chicago) could be tricky as well because they have no real desire to develop prospects for the parent club and are more likely to sign the Jason Krogs and Alexandre Girouxs of the world in an effort to be a team heavy on veteran talent. It works, as Hershey won back-to-back titles a few years ago, but there are few players of NHL consequence on those teams.

Fans of those teams are usually the ones who bitch and moan about so and so being called up. Very few Hershey fans care about the Capitals.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
While we're having statschat, I always hated how GWG are determined. I usually get torn to pieces for this, but it'd annoy me when you'd see a guy get credited with a winner when he scores the fifth goal to put his team up 5-0 and then hang on for a 5-4 win compared to a guy who breaks a tie with five minutes to go.

I get that yeah, that fifth goal was the winner, but I'd rather see who comes through in the clutch than who pots a seemingly meaningless goal and the team hangs on.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Thufir posted:

GTG?

Similar, but still a winner. I just see more worth in a stat that tracks who scores to break a tie than just opposing team's score + 1 = GWG.

• Locked thread