Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

myron_cope posted:

Which teams own their AHL affiliates? I know the Penguins do. Are there any teams that also own their ECHL affiliate? Do they all have an ECHL affiliate?

Also how much control over affiliated teams do NHL teams have if they don't own them? I mean, the Penguins decide who runs the Baby Pens/who's on the team/how the team operates, etc. So do other teams just get to send their players to the AHL and hope for the best? I remember reading how the Crunch were upset that Nikita Filatov was called up by the Blue Jackets to not even play when they (the Crunch) were in a playoff fight (or in the playoffs?) and now I see that the Crunch aren't even affiliated with Columbus anymore.

The Wild own the Houston Aeros (AHL), but they don't own their ECHL affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors. The Wild even hired their new Coach, Mike Yeo, directly from Houston. Whether that is good or bad can be debated, but it does seem like they are trying to do more direct work with Houston on player development now, where before top prospects were just developed at the NHL level, which creates the James Sheppards of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

HooverDam posted:

What sort of rules does the NHL have pertaining to the Ice surface?

The reason I ask this is the following:

Growing up in PHX I never really got into hockey but I'm ostensibly a Coyotes fan. I don't want them to move in large part b/c they just built that nice new arena and that would just seem lovely. I was hoping that if they ever get the ownership thing worked out that maybe as a way to increase interest in AZ would be to have Phoenix host an upcoming Winter Classic.

A winter classic in the desert--hogwash you say?! Well I was thinking they could play it at Chase Field, where the D'backs play. The entirety of Downtown PHX is served by a "district cooling" system called NRG. It allows for an outdoor man made ice skating rink at an outdoor downtown shopping center. I was thinking they could use it to create an ice surface at Chase Field and play a game with the roof and panels open.

Anyhow, its definitely a gimmicky idea, but I think making a big event/party sort of thing like that would be important for grabbing the attention of this particular fan base. Its a fair weather fan base made up of transplants anyhow, so I feel like teams have to go more out of their way and be extra creativity, especially for a sport thats more at the margins in this region like Hockey.

It could be done. They have a small outdoor ice rink in downtown Phoenix this year. I imagine that Chase Field would be a better fit than the Cardinals stadium and you'd want to keep the roof open, since closing it would defeat the purpose of the Winter Classic. It could work for attendance, since we already have a lot of tourists out here for the bowl games, but I'm not sure if it would have the same mystique as an outdoor cold weather game at a place like Fenway Park or even a new stadium like Target Field.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

VoodooDoll posted:

Is it a good thing or a bad thing when someone says a goalie was standing on their head in a game? I've heard commentators say it a couple times and I haven't been able to tell if it means the goalie is kind of loving around or that the goalie is being really acrobatic.

It means that their defense was terrible that game and they've literally done everything they could to keep their team in the game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

goldrush posted:

Basically it means they don't backcheck hard, they don't forecheck hard, and they're generally lazy and don't show much hustle when they don't have the puck. Think about a forward floating around near their blueline or in the neutral zone waiting for their teammates to get the puck to them so they can go on the attack, but not doing any actual work themselves for it. Being floaty is a bad thing.

Isn't that the same thing as a cherry picker? Where they just hang around the blue line, don't play defense, and only really hustle when they have a chance for a breakaway.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

goldrush posted:

Mmm, like myron_cope said, floating is a bit more of a "philosophy". In my opinion, I would say that perhaps cherry-picking is but one aspect of being floaty. But it is really a multi-layered term. Generally it means you're a lazy rear end in a top hat, though.

All cherry pickers float, but not all floaters cherry pick. I just tend to classify those players as assholes who don't backcheck. I feel that a lot of players either undervalue backchecking or just don't seem to care beyond accumulating individual stats. Even if a backchecker can't catch up with a guy on a breakaway, he can still force him to not slow down, which will lead to the shooter either running out space or not taking an ideal shot. If no one backchecks, then it just creates a stupid waiting game where whomever commits first loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Lateral movement is going to be the downfall of a super obese goalie. They can potentially take up a lot of net in certain situations, but the extra weight is going to force them to expend a lot more energy to do things like recover to their feet or push off for butterfly slides. I'd also expect the excess weight to slow down their reaction times, so what would most likely happen is that a super obese goalie would run out of energy pretty quickly and most skilled skaters would be able to skate around them. I'm currently playing net about 30 pounds heavier than I want to be and I can definitely feel the affects of the extra weight on my stamina and how hard I need to push off for butterfly slides, so if I have those issues with an extra 30 pounds than an extra 100-200 pounds is only going to amplify those problems.

• Locked thread