Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

schmitty9800 posted:

Can anyone explain how New Jersey broke things in the early 00's, and what the league did to fix it?

They did this thing where they led the league in scoring and won Stanley Cups it was really terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

It's really the 1995 Cup win that had everyone talking "trap/boring/gently caress the Devils." And really, it wasn't THE DEVILS more than it was Jacques Lemaire.

And that team and its predecessor (94 devils, who were second in GF), actually scored quite a bit, too - especially in the playoffs where they averaged 3.5 goals a game (which works out to 287 over the regular season aka 25 more than anyone scored last season).

The 2003 Devils were absolutely built on defense and didn't score for poo poo but the 94 and 95 teams had great offenses.

Basically, the trap, like any other system, is boring if you don't have top talent running it. If you do, it's still pretty exciting (see: Penguins, Pittsburgh or Canucks, Vancouver). The problem with it is that you can be successful utilizing it without top tier offensive talent and that can lead to some grinding games.

Also, the Devils have been on average, the least penalized team in the league since 1994 - so the obstruction claims are completely and utterly baseless.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 29, 2011

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That dude needs to root for the Blue Jackets.

and some day he will have his revenge.

hopefully while still in Ohio

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, although there's an oft proposed rule that would change that if instituted.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

aw yiss posted:

Guys I need help picking a team to root for help (i am from NY):

Rangers - everyone here seems to hate them and all of my friends like them and I dont like my friends but lundqvist seems pretty sweet.
Sabres - my cool roommate junior year of college liked these guys (their logo is cool as heck).
Islanders - my dad likes them and my gf is from long island but i hate long island.
Canucks - i dunno why I am drawn to them but I really am and their old logo owns. it seems like they might not be that good in the coming years though i dunno?

Islanders are moving to Brooklyn, you live in NY, you have a family connection, they're on the upswing.

Definitely Islanders.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
all hockey novices shall watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E78zK4bzM

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, on a saucer pass you almost cut at the pack rather than cradle it to keep it flat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TOJGv84qjA&t=190s

You also start the puck on the heel rather than the toe.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Disturbing lack of Dandy Andy Greene on the Devils list. And Zajac over Elias is just really confusing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Elias is the Devils all-time leading scorer :shobon:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
We can't all tank for Lemieux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004