Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks for this thread, its really helpful as an NBA fan that's going to be watching an assload of hockey this year. (and actually having moved to within walking distance of the Bolts arena I would be anyway)

Couple of questions:
1 - Ok, I actually thought I understood icing before reading this, but this part confuses me:
"For the purpose of this rule, the point of last contact with the puck by the team in possession shall be used to determine whether icing has occurred or not. As such, the team in possession must “gain the line” in order for the icing to be nullified. “Gaining the line” shall mean that the puck (not the player’s skate) must make contact with the center red line in order to nullify a potential icing."
Can anyone rephrase that or something? Are they saying if it goes across the goal line and the team that hit it there gets it back, they then have to come back to the center line with the puck?

2 - Boarding - What constitutes a "violent" hit? Is this just the same kind of subjective thing we get in the NFL where every time its called most of the fans are like "let them play the loving game" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Ah ok, I think my original understanding of icing was pretty much correct (thanks mid-90s video games!) but I got tripped up on the wording of that paragraph. Also didn't realize that trapezoid rule which suddenly makes the delay of game penalties from tonight make sense (I thought they were slow getting back on the ice or something, hurr)

quote:

When a player gets hit into the boards from behind (the most common instance)
It seems like this happens a lot (with no penalty called) when they're down around the net, but the guys aren't covering a lot of ground to make the hit...I'm guessing it just doesn't get called if the guy doesn't have a head of steam built up? (therefore not being "violent")

Also there were some play stoppages when there were a ton of guys on top of the goalie that I didn't get...the puck was still moving despite having briefly stopped, is this just the ref giving a quick whistle thinking the pucks getting covered up or whatever?

Thanks for your patience goons :downs:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

Also, if a player is already more or less against the boards, and the checking player is just pinning him, rubbing him out, or giving him a little two-handed shove in the back, that usually won't draw a call.
Ah ok, this covers the situations I was thinking of then.

The "losing sight of the puck" thing makes a lot of stuff make sense also (although I see myself screaming a whole lot of "I CAN SEE IT FROM HERE WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU" in the future)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Ok, I think this is it...

When "dumping in", aren't you risking icing? Also, isn't this basically giving up a turnover (not sure if this term is used in hockey but hopefully you know what I'm saying) unless the one guy chasing the puck happens to come up with it?

Are shifts really only like 45-50 seconds long on average? I swear it doesn't seem like they switch up that much but I guess I'm just not very attentive.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks guys, I should now be able to wow and amaze my friends with my hockey knowledge (because they seriously don't know wtf even by my standards)!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Ah cool, yeah I definitely see that happening but didn't realize there was a name for it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

marioinblack posted:

There's also the variation called the "Chip and Charge" when a forward (in most cases) possesses the puck, flicks it down the ice after crossing the center red line, and then tries to maneuver past the defender in an effort to get to the puck first. The advantage of this play is the defender can't knock the forward who just chipped it in over or else there's an interference call. A lot of times you'll see the defender try and gently redirect the forward so he can push him off his lane. Refs usually allow a little contact, but as long as the forward still has momentum going forward, there won't be any calls.

Saw this a lot at the Bolts game tonight once I started watching for it, especially in the 1st period. Moore in particular seemed to do it the majority of the times he had an opportunity.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Sorry if this is in the OP and I'm just missing it, but looking at the standings it appears that its 2 points for a win, and 1 point for an overtime game...I'm assuming that winning overtime must confer some advantage, so what would that be?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

xzzy posted:

You get a second point for winning in OT, in addition to the 1 point for getting to OT.

Ah, so I guess on the standings I'm looking at the 'OT' column is just OT losses, right? http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm#?navid=nav-stn-main

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Thufir posted:

Yes, overtime wins give two points the same as regulation wins, with the confusing addition that shootout overtime wins don't count as wins for the purposes of tiebreakers in the standings.

Yes and "ROW" is regulation + OT (non-shootout) wins, the number of wins counted towards a tiebreaker.

:psyboom:

OK, so looking at Washington:
W 9
L 3
O 0
ROW 8
Pts 18

This means they won 8 games in either regulation or non-shootout OT, and 1 game in a shootout...and have zero OT losses?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Hockey 102 - NBA refugees welcome

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
What counts as a "scoring chance" when they're showing team stats?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Do skaters wear some kind of padding on the sides of the upper body? Because otherwise, jesus christ, the way the lay down in front of shooters to block shots seems like it would be some super painful/rib breaking poo poo.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
drat..I swear when Hedman lays down it looks like he's trying to get one right in the ribs half the time. I guess being seven feet tall makes it tougher to gauge or something.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
If anyone saw the overtime goal in the Colorado/Bolts game tonight...is it likely that the scorer was actually aiming at Garon's leg to bounce that one in, or is more like just put it in a general area and hope something good happens? I'm leaning towards the later but I guess just kind of wondering about how good guys are at that sort of thing at the highest levels.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CobwebMustardseed posted:

This thread is wonderful and I wish I had noticed it earlier.

Here’s something I’m wondering about. What makes a team better or worse at scoring during a power play? Take Tampa Bay, for example. Assuming I’m reading the stats correctly (GF is goal for and PPG is power play goals, yes?), Tampa Bay has the tenth most goals in the league with 155. But they’re twenty-ninth in power play goals with only 24. This doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re good at scoring goals when you’re playing against five people, shouldn’t you be even better at scoring goals when you’re playing against four people? Is there something I’m missing here?

Yeah, good question. As a Tampa resident and Lightning fan, I can tell you that most of the local chatter about the team is some variation of "why do we suck so badly on the power play?".

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

myron cope posted:

I'm unhappy with the OP. There are so many words. It's so...verbose. How can I make it better?

quote:

ADD MORE STUFF
:goonsay:

In all seriousness though I thought it was very awesome and helpful. I could see maybe moving the things under the "advanced" heading down into the second post or something along those lines, but there's not really anything in there that I'd recommend removing altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Wow, those whiteboard articles are awesome

• Locked thread