Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gio
Jun 20, 2005

It was so much simpler when it was 2 points for a regulation or OT win and split points for a tie. But the shootout is popular so whatever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

CobwebMustardseed posted:

At what point does being a guy who fights a lot start to be a drag on the team? Sometimes I’ll see a guy lose his temper during a game and start shoving someone or hit someone with his stick, etc. Whenever this happens, I always think, “Well, that was dumb. Now you’ve given the other team a power play and opportunity to score.” Is there some value here that I’m not seeing? If the guy you go after just keeps a cool head and skates away then all you’ve done is put your team at a disadvantage. Even if you’re successful in getting a guy to square off with you, it doesn’t seem like you’re doing the team any favors.
it's a little known secret that enforcers are a waste of money

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Statnerd question: Does behind the net have a place for team corsi?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I was going to ask something akin to this the other day. I kept hearing about how amazing Jordan Staal is and oh boy, just wait till he comes back. Now that he is back, I fail to see his utility. It seems to me that he just skates around slowly like a big galoot who can't get to the puck quickly enough to do anything. Now, I'm sure that this is just because I have an unsophisticated view of hockey, but it would be cool if someone could show me what it is that makes him valuable.

Well, he scores goals, for one thing.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

If you want to understand a player's value that doesn't translate to the scoresheet, look toward more advanced statistics like corsi. (Jordan Staal has a really good one this year, but we'll get to that in a bit.) It's not the greatest statistic, but when it comes to hockey, pretty much every stat aside from potting 50 goals in a season has some kind of caveat.

Here is a real good scoop on advanced stats starting with corsi, but here's the skinny:

quote:

Corsi Number = (Shots on Target For + Missed Shots For + Blocked Shots Against ) - (Shots on Target Against + Missed Shots Against + Blocked Shots For)

So basically if a player has a positive corsi, that means when they are on the ice more shots are being directed at the opposition. Alternatively, if they have a negative corsi, then more shots are being directed at their own net. It's a proxy for puck possession, essentially. As long as you're putting pucks on their net and not on your own, you're more likely to score and less likely to get scored on, or so the theory goes. (The Predators have been bucking the system for a long time now.)

Relative corsi is that corsi number minus the corsi number for the player's team when they're not on the ice. So if they have a positive number, that means the team performs better when they're on the ice. A negative number would imply the team performs worse.

Jordan Staal's relative corsi is +10.7, with only Malkin and Kunitz posting better numbers.

The ultimate caveat, of course, is that this is highly dependent on the quality of teammates a player is out on the ice with. Obviously, if you put Sidney Crosby on a line with four AHL callups, he's probably going to have a lovely corsi, so it's always important to note the Quality of Teammates and Quality of Competition, which is the average corsi number of all teammates and competition, respectively. This is also problematic since they can be self-fulfilling prophecies--surprisingly, lovely players play with other lovely players, and good players play with good players, so it's hard to isolate an individual's performance. My personal opinion is that it is better for evaluating a team as a whole than individuals.

Gio fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 5, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah, forgot to mention zone starts, too. It doesn't. That one site I linked does use a stat that tries to control for zone starts, but I'm not all that convinced by it.

So yeah, a player may get really lovely zone starts (i.e. start all their shifts at faceoffs in their own end), which is obviously going to skew their corsi number.

The only thing I can say with corsi is take it with a big grain of a salt and look at a thousand other statistics as well to try and explain it. If a player has above 50% offensive zone starts, positive quality of teammates, negative quality of competition, and still has a negative relative corsi, then they probably suck. Awhile back someone tweeted a list of players that had these characteristics and I can't find it for the life of me. Had the title "Statistical Nightmares".

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Oh yeah, I agree. I mean, there are a number of players on the Wings with negative relative corsi but I'm not about to say they suck or should be traded. In fact, I like a lot of them (except for Ericsson he sucks).

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'd say home ice advantage matters the least of the "4 major sports", and I think home and away records in the regular season and playoffs indicate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Instead of bookmarking them, just subscribe to the RSS feed and view them through Google Reader. If you have a gmail account it's already set up for you. I can't believe it took me as long as it did for me to figure out what an RSS feed is and why they're awesome.

• Locked thread