Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's still an improvement. I'm interested in seeing what changes in the next issue. At least I'm not confused and saddened by whatever's on the pages now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Honestly looking back I wish Milogiannis could have done the entire run of the book (though that would keep him from Prophet and Old City Blues) but the style and colours just fit the tone of Copra's writing a lot better.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Nothing about that looks "bad" to me.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Senor Candle posted:

Nothing about that looks "bad" to me.

Yeah but it's not Bryan Hitch or Lenil Yu, is it? I think that's the problem people have with it...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It reminds me of Walker's early stuff on Invincible, which is fine, but reading the recap is a little like reading the book for the first time. Probably going to be better read all at once.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nah that art is pretty bad. He seems to be a better storyteller than whoever the last guy was (who was also bad) but his anatomy is weird and all the faces look like he just went "gently caress it."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Nah that art is pretty bad. He seems to be a better storyteller than whoever the last guy was (who was also bad) but his anatomy is weird and all the faces look like he just went "gently caress it."

Those don't necessarily make art bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Those don't necessarily make art bad.

Maybe "bad" is the wrong word. But if you can't see how some people might look at that style and go "nope" then I'm not sure what else to say.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They could always bring Dillon back. See how Miles looks with a Frank face

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TheJoker138 posted:

Maybe "bad" is the wrong word. But if you can't see how some people might look at that style and go "nope" then I'm not sure what else to say.

I don't like doesn't mean bad. It's fine for people to just not dislike an art style.

Not that it really matters since from solicits the book is probably done at issue 12.

quote:

ALL-NEW ULTIMATES #10
MICHEL FIFFE (w) • AMILCAR PINNA (a)
Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
THE ULTIMATE UNIVERSE IS A DANGEROUS PLACE FOR A TEEN SUPER-HERO!!!
• The beginning of an epic 3-part climax begins with the ULTIMATES’ ruthless nemesis going in for the kill!
• SPIDER-MAN’S romantic life reaches a deadly conclusion. Heartbreak + a beating = DIAMONDBACK LOVE.
• BOMBSHELL is back and ready for action — just in time to help her teammates not get picked off one by one?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So there will only be Spider-man or will we get another relaunch?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is it time again to speculate the end of the Ultimate Universe? Because I think it's a likely time to end the Ultimate Universe. You leave Miles as the only book by January and spring him over to 616 with the ending of Spider-verse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is it time again to speculate the end of the Ultimate Universe? Because I think it's a likely time to end the Ultimate Universe. You leave Miles as the only book by January and spring him over to 616 with the ending of Spider-verse.

If you place Miles in the 616 you lose his supporting cast and that's half the fun of the book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

bobkatt013 posted:

If you place Miles in the 616 you lose his supporting cast and that's half the fun of the book.

Half? I'd say it's around 75%, still, I don't think Marvel's gonna let the UU keep going with one book that sells ok (unless it's been selling much better lately?) and I can see someone finally deciding to keep Miles ready for the next miscellaneous team book.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Half? I'd say it's around 75%, still, I don't think Marvel's gonna let the UU keep going with one book that sells ok (unless it's been selling much better lately?) and I can see someone finally deciding to keep Miles ready for the next miscellaneous team book.

It's not like they have to pay some kind of fee to keep the UU going, they could easily just keep Miles going with nothing else until someone has a good idea for a book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If it keeps Bendis happy they will let him keep on writing it. Its the same reason that Powers is still going.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hasn't the ultimate universe really kind of .... served its purpose? Like the whole point was to make it so that there was an alternative to the continuity heavy mainstream comic line and now it feels like the Ultimate universe is more continuity heavy than 616. It feels like it's kind of just spinning its wheels and struggling to ever get any traction.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still say just run USM and a generic Ultimate Comics. One month it's an Ultimates story, then an FF, a couple long form stories and some one shots. The problem is people have ideas for the UU but nobody seems to have much beyond one or two ideas at a time

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Can somebody give me a status report on UM current events? I thought Galactus was supposed to have already eaten that earth.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Sithsaber posted:

Can somebody give me a status report on UM current events? I thought Galactus was supposed to have already eaten that earth.

They stopped him?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Senor Candle posted:

It's not like they have to pay some kind of fee to keep the UU going, they could easily just keep Miles going with nothing else until someone has a good idea for a book.

This is what I was gonna say. If the rest of the Ultimates line goes away, who cares? It's not like Ultimate Spider-Man needs those books to continue existing. If people enjoy and buy Ultimate Spider-Man that's reason enough to sustain it's existence, with or without the Ultimates.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sithsaber posted:

Kitty Pride grew to a gigantic size and punched him in the face till he fell into the negative zone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Kitty Pride grew to a gigantic size and punched him in the face till he fell into the negative zone.

Also Thor fell with him. And Captain America maybe died.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I don't like doesn't mean bad. It's fine for people to just not dislike an art style.

Not that it really matters since from solicits the book is probably done at issue 12.

Climax doesn't mean end.

Well, unless you're a bad writer anyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is not even close to a similar situation, but it's worth bringing up that Archie Comics has the mainstay Sonic comics and also Sonic Universe running alongside it. One focuses on Sonic, the other focuses on other characters and what they're dealing with around the same time. Works pretty well, for what it's worth. Marvel obviously has a much larger cast of characters screwing around in the Ultimate Universe, sure, but the idea could work so long the writers are on the same page timeline-wise. It probably won't happen, but it doesn't mean it couldn't.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Aphrodite posted:

Climax doesn't mean end.

Well, unless you're a bad writer anyway.

Ultimate Wanda: "No more denouements."

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

"Nemesis"? So far, the new ultimates have been getting punked by some street gang straight out of Final Fight.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Waterhaul posted:

That has to be bullshit. Please tell me that's bullshit.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sithsaber posted:

That has to be bullshit. Please tell me that's bullshit.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Duuuuuumb.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

To be fair it's more of "This will work for about 5 minutes to buy the real plan some time" kind of plan.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

And the punching him was something she did on her own. The actual plan was to make her giant and then have her phase through his poo poo to gently caress it up.

E: It was also sold to her as a suicide mission, if I'm remembering right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone loved it when Thor did it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone loved it when Thor did it.

Thor's not Kitty loving Pryde.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There were a lot of things about that story that I didn't care for, Kitty Pryde given the Giant-Man treatment to phase through all his machines as a last ditch effort to buy time and distract him was not one of them. If the plan was to Giant-Size her in order to fight Galactus that would be dumb. But that's not what it was.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Cataclysm was a terrible event from the get-go and tacit acknowledgment by marvel that they have no idea what to do with the ultimate universe anymore. Any chance the line had to die with dignity was lost years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Galactus probably has a glass jaw. You know he's never expecting to take a punch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Galactus probably has a glass jaw. You know he's never expecting to take a punch.

He got his rear end smoked in Annihilation so you're probably right.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Has he ever held his own against anyone remotely on his level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ToastyPotato posted:

Has he ever held his own against anyone remotely on his level?

I think he took down a mad Celestial in F4, but the other two Celestials killed him. Then iirc he gets turbocharged by Franklin and wins the day.

Also I think he went down in Annihilation because he got sucker punched, and when finally freed took out his two captors... but it's been a while. And with help was able to hold off (for a while) the Cancerverse Galactus.

• Locked thread