Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senjuro posted:

JJJ did the same thing barely an issue ago and we've seen how well that worked. You're right, this story gets worse the more you think about it.

Now I am remembering that this story killed Ultimate Triple-J. I'm not mad anymore, Bendis, I'm just disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't give a single gently caress if it was stupid or not (it was), I'm just happy that Peter and MJ get to be happy with each other in some universe, at least.

Until Dan Slott brings them into Spider-Verse and brutally murders them both, anyway.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't give a single gently caress if it was stupid or not (it was), I'm just happy that Peter and MJ get to be happy with each other in some universe, at least.

Until Dan Slott brings them into Spider-Verse and brutally murders them both, anyway.

I get what you mean but if he's brought back so clumsily just to never be seen again it feels like it would have been better leaving him dead. If all that matters is that he gets a happy ending then you can just pretend USM ended right before Ultimatum started. His life was as perfect as it would ever be at that point.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Out of all of the Miles Morales era, this issue was a new low. There were at least 6 pages where I didn't have any idea what was going on. Was the narrative nonlinear? Whatever the intention, any sense of motion or action is completely lost. And I think Dave Marquez is a great artist!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think Miles' blasts short out Norman's transformation? That's what I was getting, anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Little Mac posted:

I think Miles' blasts short out Norman's transformation? That's what I was getting, anyway.

Yeah I saw it as he got blasted and his body was going back and forth from human to goblin.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If I want to catch up on Miles after Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, where do I go? Is it straight in to Miles Morales: Spider Man, or are there some Cataclysm issues I should pick up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

If I want to catch up on Miles after Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, where do I go? Is it straight in to Miles Morales: Spider Man, or are there some Cataclysm issues I should pick up?

Straight in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Cataclysm was pretty bad, don't bother with it.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

There's a three-issue Cataclysm tie-in with Miles that's pretty important to the new series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm done with Ultimate Spidey now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm done with Ultimate Spidey now.

Yeah. I think I am too. It's just boring now and the last arc was just so blah.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
1) Your Uncle Aaron had me working for some guy named Turk.
2) Nick Fury contacted me before I did anything too stupid, but told me to work for the guy as a cover.
3) Turk got too big for his britches and crossed a guy named Kingpin.

That only leaves 19 pages to tell us ANYTHING else.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know, I kinda sorta liked it. But Bendis is completely phoning in ANXM.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They were both terrible.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 18, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know, I kinda sorta liked it. But Bendis is completely phoning in ANXM.

ANXM was definitely the superior Ultimate Spider-Man book this week, seeing as how it made the bold move to actually feature Ultimate Spider-Man for more than one page.

Although 114°? Seriously? Christ Bendis, Atlanta is not located directly underneath a hole in the ozone layer. I guess the Ultimate Universe is just hotter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TwoPair posted:

Although 114°? Seriously? Christ Bendis, Atlanta is not located directly underneath a hole in the ozone layer. I guess the Ultimate Universe is just hotter.

It is Hotlanta. Do you not understand? It is a clever joke that makes us all laugh.:effort:

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Bought the first trade of all new ultimates thinking it was the post cataclysm miles book and wow it is really really bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Libearian posted:

Bought the first trade of all new ultimates thinking it was the post cataclysm miles book and wow it is really really bad.

The first half of New Ultimates was terrible. But they turned it around in the end and the last few issues were good. Including the last one today.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
These past two issues of Ultimate Spider-Man make me think that back when Bendis saw the Amazing Spider-Man films, he saw the painfully long scenes where Peter's parents do thrilling adventure poo poo no one cares about, but instead of just not giving a poo poo like most audiences, Bendis' eyes lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning and he thought "This. This Spider-Parent secret origin backstory is what fans want! gently caress Spider-Man!"

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

These past two issues of Ultimate Spider-Man make me think that back when Bendis saw the Amazing Spider-Man films, he saw the painfully long scenes where Peter's parents do thrilling adventure poo poo no one cares about, but instead of just not giving a poo poo like most audiences, Bendis' eyes lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning and he thought "This. This Spider-Parent secret origin backstory is what fans want! gently caress Spider-Man!"

To be fair - if this was a mini-series and not running in place of ultimate spider-man it would be pretty rad.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

MrFlibble posted:

To be fair - if this was a mini-series and not running in place of ultimate spider-man it would be pretty rad.

You are wrong and you should feel bad.

Independent from interrupting the book the storyline is boring tired crap.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Also the cover for this issue was super misleading. The cover is Miles in a SHIELD uniform flying through the sky with a team of agents, but the story is his dad doing some poo poo with Fury in the 70s.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Frankly, I'm just glad this whole backstory wasn't just an excuse for "sorry Miles, but I'm not your dad--FURY is!!!!" Cause man, when they released the covers/synopsis for these issues, I was nervous.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shinjobi posted:

Frankly, I'm just glad this whole backstory wasn't just an excuse for "sorry Miles, but I'm not your dad--FURY is!!!!" Cause man, when they released the covers/synopsis for these issues, I was nervous.

Turns out Miles' real name is Nick Fury Jr and Ganke is actually Coulson

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

The first half of New Ultimates was terrible. But they turned it around in the end and the last few issues were good. Including the last one today.

I'm going to disagree. I am glad Ultimates is over, it was a jumbled confused mess with janky art. When the characters were announced, I was super excited only to have that excitement drained away issue by issue.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Turns out Miles' real name is Nick Fury Jr and Ganke is actually Coulson

That'd be the best explanation for Nick Fury Jr ever

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Issue #12's solicits call it THE EPIC CONCLUSION and "Is this the end?"

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Just transitioning into Secret Wars and whatever happens next.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Given that Miles is the last Ultimate Spider-Man book it's time for reboot number a million, change everything about the universe and just hope something sticks.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kaleidoscope posted:

No. No it's not. The bloated, aging corpse of the Ultimate Universe will float ever onwards down the river, its prime long since past. It should have died young and left a beautiful corpse.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
At this point the best case scenario would probably be to create a Exiles-esque Spider-Verse on-going of cast-off Spider-Men and feature Miles in that (and let Ganke tag along for some reason). Bendis finally appears to be spinning his wheels in the last Ultimate book.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Actually the more I think about it the more sense it makes to keep Ultimate Spider-man and have it be the sort of central book. Bendis can still really hammer it out when he needs to but it's the idea of having that universe support several individual books at the same time which is where it seems to fall apart. I really liked Ultimate Hawkeye and I'm honestly really surprised that they didn't do more mini's like that. Have a core book, have one Ultimates miniseries every year or two when something really big happens (the whole point of the Ultimates is that they should only be deployed when poo poo is getting real - having them be a constant thing just kind of made it seem stupid, blow it up, push it off a cliff) and sprinkle in a few minis here and there to keep you up to date with characters that you might give a poo poo about.

Spidey is about the little interpersonal and street level doodads of Miles. It should be reactive and character driven, I guess, with the minis being event driven or something.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
One can only hope that Marvel has finally learned the obvious lesson of the 2009, 2011, and 2014 relaunches, and is finally ready to set aside a misplaced sense of pride and accept that the line has simply outlived its relevance.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

One can only hope that Marvel has finally learned the obvious lesson of the 2009, 2011, and 2014 relaunches, and is finally ready to set aside a misplaced sense of pride and accept that the line has simply outlived its relevance.

Mm, because if there's one thing Marvel comics is great at, it's learning from previous mistakes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The big event seems to be leaning toward a major reboot.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

The big event seems to be leaning toward a major reboot.

Another one?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sion posted:

Another one?

Personally, I have no theory as to how comprehensive of a retooling it will be, but my gut tells me there will be a massive status quo shake up. None of the Marvel reboots have been DC level, and part of me feels that this year's event might end up being the Marvel equivalent of Crisis on Infinite Earths at its most severe or something less significant but still changing the status quo, at the very least

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Civil War is just a section of Battle World in Secret Wars, it's not them redoing Civil War.

Now doing Secret Wars again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sion posted:

Mm, because if there's one thing Marvel comics is great at, it's learning from previous mistakes.
I'm not sure what your point is here.

• Locked thread