Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

I really want to like Enslaved, I really do. I listened to Vikingligr Veldi and loved it. Then I listened to the 2015 album and realized why they were on the same bill as Native loving Construct. It's so radically different that I can't get past that.

Well, those two albums are like 21 years apart, and it was a long, slow process where they changed a little each album. I mean, maybe start at VV and go forward one album at a time?

Also, I'll be honest, I have no loving idea who/what Native Construct even is, I'm just going to this december show because Enslaved, and BTBAM was just a bit of a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fenrir posted:

Well, those two albums are like 21 years apart, and it was a long, slow process where they changed a little each album. I mean, maybe start at VV and go forward one album at a time?

Also, I'll be honest, I have no loving idea who/what Native Construct even is, I'm just going to this december show because Enslaved, and BTBAM was just a bit of a bonus.
Yeah, I did the same thing with In Flames. Loved Jester Race, immediately went into A Sense of Purpose and hated it. Guess I should go through each album.

Also, Native Construct is a way proggier BTBAM, which is why I do not like them. I'm fine with BTBAM and even some Intronaut, but NC is too proggy for my tastes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Native Construct are BTBAM if they indulged all of their worst impulses and weren't heavy at all

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Native Construct are BTBAM if they indulged all of their worst impulses and weren't heavy at all
Yeah this is a better description.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

Yeah, I did the same thing with In Flames. Loved Jester Race, immediately went into A Sense of Purpose and hated it. Guess I should go through each album.

Also, Native Construct is a way proggier BTBAM, which is why I do not like them. I'm fine with BTBAM and even some Intronaut, but NC is too proggy for my tastes.

Also I made an Enslaved thread back in march when the last album came out. It's not great by any means but it gives an idea of how the band has changed over the years and such.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Suddenly I've lost interest.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Turk February posted:

Slayer needs to gently caress off. They tour constantly and nobody wants to see them anymore.

Why do you are that they tour? You don't have to see them. I always see them and will continue until they really can't play anymore. But for now, they're still able to do it live.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So I checked out Skull Fist's newest album on a whim and it is really loving good classic heavy/power metal Great, energetic, and in-your-face.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

El Estrago Bonito posted:

My AOTY is def Exercises in futility by Mgla. I realize that most people won't like that album, but I fall into a very slim margin of people for whom "Summoning with more hardcore influenced riffs" is extremely my poo poo. Second place is a tie between Black Fast -- Terms of Surrender and Tribulation - The Children of the Night, because I like dumb goofy things (my favorite metal bands right now are Dissection, Summoning and Warlord).

hell yeah the new Black Fast LP was crushing.

My AOTY is a tossup between the following:

Krallice - Ygg huur

Leviathan - Scar Sighted

Intronaut - The Direction of Last Things

Sigh - Graveward

also honourable mentions to the new gently caress the Facts and Nechochwen albums.

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 28, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Clit Avoider posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

My metal fan friends are also terrible people with bad taste, so my opinion on what is and isn't well received is generally pretty poor. Also basically no one I know listens to black metal and people look at me strangely if they walk into my house when it's playing. Also when I say hardcore I really mean like 90's victory records stuff. At least I get a sort of "50% speed earth crisis" vibe from a lot of the breakdown/bridge sections on the album, especially in VI. But yeah I have a lot of trouble articulating my opinions about music and I do not pretend to be any kind of expert at all.

A human heart posted:

I don't really hear much similarity between Mgla and Summoning.

I guess it's that they are both black metal but with a sort of focus on songs that sound like orcs could be marching to them, if that makes sense? I guess the best way I can put it is that it shares a lot of the same feel for me as Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame does, with a lot of songs that slowly build towards a really powerful sounding crescendo.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess I just completely missed these guys a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GQNUxSlBbA

Just some Malaysian dudes totally into the Greek black metal scene and doing their best to pay tribute to Rotting Christ and Varathron.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

High Country was loving terrible

Yeah I honestly have no loving idea what my AOTY would be but I know the Sword has really disappointed me lately. They had great cheesy epic doomy concept albums like Warp Riders and now I don't even know mang. :sigh:

symbolic posted:

Don't get me wrong the new In Flames from the last ten years or so blows goat balls but I have reappraised Reroute to Remain a bit since it was the first album on their road downward so there are still one or two good ones on there. I think Cloud Connected is pretty good and could almost fit in on Colony or Clayman.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I guess it's that they are both black metal but with a sort of focus on songs that sound like orcs could be marching to them, if that makes sense? I guess the best way I can put it is that it shares a lot of the same feel for me as Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame does, with a lot of songs that slowly build towards a really powerful sounding crescendo.
This is a very bizarre way to talk about music. Like imagine saying 'hey i heard this black metal album, it sounds like orcs marching' to someone. No one knows what that means, you couldn't recommend or get recommendations based on that, it's meaningless. Listen to what the different instruments are doing - are the guitars doing a similar thing to these other ones? what does the production sound like? that kinda stuff. you gotta use your ears.

My album of the year is probably still the Macabre Omen, because a lot of the things I was looking forward to were either disappointing or have been pushed back to next year(Irkallian Oracle, Bolzer, Destroyer 666), but my EP of the year is either Sect Pig or Slaegt.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I saw Alestorm last night. Every metalhead needs to go see 'em once. The neckbeard ratio is a tad high, but it's a ridiculously good time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H13 posted:

So I saw Alestorm last night. Every metalhead needs to go see 'em once. The neckbeard ratio is a tad high, but it's a ridiculously good time.
It's actually impossible to do greater-than/less-than comparisons when your quotient is undefined

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2018

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

H5N1 posted:

making GBS threads on metal bands. making GBS threads on metal bands that tour. making GBS threads on new metal albums. But first and foremost, making GBS threads on the fans.

Stay pure, metal thread!
I expect nothing less, to be honest.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah I honestly have no loving idea what my AOTY would be but I know the Sword has really disappointed me lately. They had great cheesy epic doomy concept albums like Warp Riders and now I don't even know mang. :sigh:

Yeah I just missed them coming by and I wasn't even sad.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

H5N1 posted:

making GBS threads on metal bands. making GBS threads on metal bands that tour. making GBS threads on new metal albums. But first and foremost, making GBS threads on the fans.

Stay pure, metal thread!

Many metal bands and albums are bad, and it's fine to say so.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

MrBling posted:

I guess I just completely missed these guys a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GQNUxSlBbA

Just some Malaysian dudes totally into the Greek black metal scene and doing their best to pay tribute to Rotting Christ and Varathron.

This looks cool!

A band being from Southeast Asia always catches my attention. The brutal death metal scene there is consistently really, really deranged. In fact that's just a general thing for third-world countries, they tend to produce sloppy, hosed-up metal which I absolutely love. (Colombia is great for this too, both their black and death scenes are nuts.)

Like, what is this guitar tone? Holy crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfCHNYANpY

Humiliation are pretty cool, too, tighter than most SE asian bands, but they shoehorn in really off-kilter Indonesian folk sections into Suffocation-esque BDM and it's so unfitting that it loops around to brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7oFSxPuJuk

There's also a couple really crazy, raw BDM bands from the Philippines, like Human Mastication and Down From The Wound. Don't want to post too many links, but if you're into that stuff you may like them.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

Many metal bands and albums are bad, and it's fine to say so.
And it's always completely subjective if they're good or bad.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Well it's not completely subjective really, because some people do have more informed opinions on the subject than others, not all opinions on art are equal. But that guy mostly seemed to be complaining that anyone would criticise a band that has fans and plays shows in anyway at all, which is a bizarre attitude to have on a music discussion forum, because of course you can criticise a band.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

symbolic posted:

And it's always completely subjective if they're good or bad.

There are a few objective elements, like in some cases you can say that a band are repetitive songwriters (or, conversely, too disjointed) or that they overuse certain progressions or whatever. Like, you can genuinely say that some music lacks creativity and substance. I think this misses the forest for the trees, though, because when you get down to it liking things is sort of irrational - I couldn't tell you why I like certain albums but consider very similar ones to be not worth my time. Like, one of my favorite releases this year is basically Brodequin/Enmity worship and I'm not at all a Brodequin or Enmity fan.

I think that, even if AHH expresses his opinions in a way that doesn't seem to recognize the validity of other viewpoints, what he's saying makes sense - there's a lot of metal out there, and if you dig into the genre you'll find a few gems and a lot of things that aren't worth keeping. But there's a lot of people out there who seem to be, like, super fans of one or two genres and will say they enjoy basically everything that comes out in that genre. I've especially noticed this with power metal fans, they seem to be reluctant to say that anything in the genre out-and-out sucks. I don't doubt that they do enjoy what they listen to, but if people have low standards and will praise a ton of low-effort stuff, it creates an environment that allows more mediocre, uninspired acts to thrive. So yeah, it's good both for your own exploration and for the scene as a whole to be discerning and to know why you like what you like (and, conversely, why you dislike what you dislike).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

Well it's not completely subjective really, because some people do have more informed opinions on the subject than others, not all opinions on art are equal.
It's still subjective nonetheless. It's not a universally acknowledged fact that, say, Municipal Waste is the greatest crossover band of the 21st century. That's completely opinionated, regardless if you've listened to Art of Partying once or if you've listened to every album 20 times, have a ton of merchandise, and can name all their current and past members by heart.

Or, say, by a human heart.

Hahah.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

There are a few objective elements, like in some cases you can say that a band are repetitive songwriters (or, conversely, too disjointed) or that they overuse certain progressions or whatever. Like, you can genuinely say that some music lacks creativity and substance. I think this misses the forest for the trees, though, because when you get down to it liking things is sort of irrational - I couldn't tell you why I like certain albums but consider very similar ones to be not worth my time. Like, one of my favorite releases this year is basically Brodequin/Enmity worship and I'm not at all a Brodequin or Enmity fan.

I think that, even if AHH expresses his opinions in a way that doesn't seem to recognize the validity of other viewpoints, what he's saying makes sense - there's a lot of metal out there, and if you dig into the genre you'll find a few gems and a lot of things that aren't worth keeping. But there's a lot of people out there who seem to be, like, super fans of one or two genres and will say they enjoy basically everything that comes out in that genre. I've especially noticed this with power metal fans, they seem to be reluctant to say that anything in the genre out-and-out sucks. I don't doubt that they do enjoy what they listen to, but if people have low standards and will praise a ton of low-effort stuff, it creates an environment that allows more mediocre, uninspired acts to thrive. So yeah, it's good both for your own exploration and for the scene as a whole to be discerning and to know why you like what you like (and, conversely, why you dislike what you dislike).
This makes more sense behind the psychology of it. Gracias ese.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

H13 posted:

The neckbeard ratio is a tad high, but it's a ridiculously good time.

The question isn't whether anyone forking over money for a metal show is a dork, it's what kind. The ratio is always 1 to 1.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

H5N1 posted:

Stay pure, metal thread!

Yeah, its great having taste and not gobbling up poo poo.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

H5N1 posted:

I went to a show the other night -- a real crap band -- and, man, you should have seen the dumb fans gobbling up that poo poo thinking they were enjoying themselves. I stood in the back slowly nodding to myself because the joke was on them! Then the music suddenly stopped and everyone in the hall turned around, looked at me, and clapped.
I just checked and all you've posted about in the past few weeks is about how bad metal fans are and your unending, enthusiastic support for Jeb Bush in the Republican thread in D&D (which is obviously you trolling). You're a champion.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

H5N1 posted:

I went to a show the other night -- a real crap band -- and, man, you should have seen the dumb fans gobbling up that poo poo thinking they were enjoying themselves. I stood in the back slowly nodding to myself because the joke was on them! Then the music suddenly stopped and everyone in the hall turned around, looked at me, and clapped.

You're really gonna die on that alestom hill huh

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

H5N1 posted:

:iceburn:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of lovely music and lovely taste, while some might complain that the production on Danzig's covers album could charitably be described as a bedroom demo or absolute dogshit a five year old randomly twiddling knobs on an old Tascam 4 track could do a better job with, that's far from the truth.

The reality is Danzig finally figured out how to capture the magic of what Danzig hears in Danzig's head when Danzig is singing in the shower.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sorry, I don't think you understand what it means to be a metal fan. It requires you to be in a constant state of agitation, ready to lash out with violent rage at the slightest provocation.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
drat, then I've been doing it wrong for 27 years.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gamma Nerd posted:

But there's a lot of people out there who seem to be, like, super fans of one or two genres and will say they enjoy basically everything that comes out in that genre. I've especially noticed this with power metal fans, they seem to be reluctant to say that anything in the genre out-and-out sucks.
Just wanted to say that I'm a power metal fan (after a fashion) and I'd be the first to say that there are a poo poo-ton of really sucky power metal bands. And very few things in metal music are as sad as a bad power metal band.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

Just wanted to say that I'm a power metal fan (after a fashion) and I'd be the first to say that there are a poo poo-ton of really sucky power metal bands. And very few things in metal music are as sad as a bad power metal band.
It's okay to be incompetently angry like everyone else but there's something about a band being complete poo poo and sounding really, really happy about it that's super off-putting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Groke posted:

drat, then I've been doing it wrong for 27 years.

You wanna fight rear end in a top hat?? Let's do this!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hey, you know that old saying, when you fight rear end in a top hat, your hands smell like poo poo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Check out the sick guitar tone on this thing https://backwoodsbutcher.bandcamp.com/album/nefarious-artifacts-cassette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Nordick posted:

It would probably help if there were more than 5 bands that realized that 2005 was 10 years ago and they can try writing something new now.