Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just got into Death, and I'm pretty much loving every song so far. The trouble is when I try to listen to other newer death metal bands, the vocals are too growly and almost unintelligible, or the music is too slow and droning. Any recommendations on bands that sound like Death?

Side note: loving psyched to see Lamb of God in Jan in DC, anyone else going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Which era of Death are you listening to? If it's Symbolic/The Sound of Perseverance, then you should check out the band Illogicist. They're about as close as you're going to get to the technical/progressive sound Death had towards the end.

I prefer the Leprosy/Spiritual era, got anything that sounds like that? I like the newer more mature sound too.

But nothing starts my day better than blasting Pull The Plug at full volume.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 20, 2011

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

thepitgoddess posted:

Maybe some similar era/place stuff? Early Obituary (you might not like the vocals here, it's half words, half puke sounds, but totally amazing), Monstrosity, early Morbid Angel, maybe lesser known stuff like Brutality (these guys have a sort of technical edge you might like), Diabolic, Massacre (which I am so NOT a fan, but maybe you will like it).

The vocals in any band are a sticking point for me. I checked out Obituary and loved the sound, hated the angry cookie monster vocals. Maybe it's an acquired taste since I'm still relatively "new" to metal, I'll check them out again.

What's a good starting song for Morbid Angel and Brutality?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Dyscrasia posted:

Finally got a chance to give this a go. Holy crap this sounds like Death. Even the style of the solos is Chuck. I've only heard a couple songs, not bad so far.

Agreed, Ilogicist was the perfect recommendation, it's like Death 2.0.

Just discovered Toxic Holocaust thanks to this thread, and I'm very happy about it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Everyone always talks about how Metallica is fading, how Dave Mustaine is annoying, and how Kerry King of Slayer is fat or whatever. How is Anthrax? I was thinking about checking out their discography, and don't really remember any discussion about them.

Anthrax is a "fun" metal band, they put on a hell of a live show and you can tell they're having fun. I just saw them with Death Angel and Testament a few weeks ago, and saw them last year with Megadeth and Slayer. Great show each time.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

MalConstant posted:

New Lamb of God song, Ghost Walking, is up.

http://soundcloud.com/roadrunnerrecords/lamb-of-god-ghost-walking

:gizz:

I see them in January with about 10 of my friends, and I can not loving wait!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
How the hell is Bolt-Thrower so awesome? I normally don't even like this genre of metal, but I can't loving stop listening to them. Fortunately the catalog is huge so I've been having a blast the past couple of days. Why can't they tour the US this year?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Zodijackylite posted:

Great, catchy riffs, and they repeat the riffs more than you typically hear in death metal. They're just all around badass.

They won't tour the US, they're not a full-time band anymore. They played MDF a few years ago, but other than that, they haven't played the US since 1994 - a disastrous US tour led to Andy Whale and Karl Willets leaving the band.

So basically I just fell in love with a band I will realistically never see live. Fantastic.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

...or evidently record new material. When they said that they pretty much ditched the material proposed for a follow up to 2005's Those Once Loyal, feeling it would not live up to what they considered to be their best material, I could neither disagree or accept the statement. It has taken me years to come to terms with this.

This gets better and better.

Well, I never thought I'd get to see Sleep live, and they are touring again. So maybe there is still hope.

Or I'd just go insane, become fixated on Bolt Thrower, learn to play guitar and start a Bolt Thrower cover band called No Longer Loyal.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just listened to Aggaloch for the first time. This is loving awesome, and unlike Bolt-Thrower I might actually get to see them live!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

they almost never tour :v:

Recently they have been but most people complain about their quality live.

gently caress this I'm going to go listen to Lady Gaga.

I'm just starting to get into metal, never really listened to real metal before I got clean a few years ago, so many of the bands I want to see I will realistically never get a chance to.

Death. I would pay good money to see Death. And well, that's not really an option anymore. I got to see Slayer twice, and there were awesome but you can tell the vocals just aren't the same as they were in the 80s. Which is completely understandable. Megadeth was awesome though, and Anthrax loving blew me away. There are a bunch of European bands like Krypts, Vector, and Vader that don't tour that much. Even if they do tour, they probably won't come to my city. I like hardcore/metalcore too, but jesus christ the majority of shows in my area are 'scene' shows.

The best upcoming show is Mastodon/Ghost, and that's saying alot right there.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
These past two weeks I've been getting into some awesome bands that are new to me, but I've noticed an interesting trend:

1: Bolt-Thrower, death metal but different because of the increased focus on more riffs and a 'groovier' feel to it than most death metal
2: Entombed. Death metal but the label 'death & roll" fits due to the different elements of hard rock they incorporate from the 70s and 80s.
3: Nachtmystium. Started out as straight ahead black metal with impressive execution, but evolved into a band that incorporates different genres and sound styles. Multiple reviews have commented that this is what would happen if Pink Floyd played black metal. High praise, but accurate. The overall feel of Addicts: Black Meddle 2 is Wall-era Pink Floyd. While the core of the album is undeniably black metal, you can pick up everything from GNR style hard rock, dance, prog and even 80s style Cure/Depeche Mode.

So what I've learned is that I really like black metal that doesn't always sound like every black metal band out there. I also like the difference in lyrical styles each band has. Bolt Thrower does war, but they do it so loving well they apparently realized they do it as good as they will ever do it and stopped. I'm mad as poo poo I just got into them and their last record came out in 2005, but I can see where they are coming from. Those Once Loyal is a drat good end to an impressive career, and while I would love the idea of another album, I doubt it would surpass loyal and I'd rather them end on a high note. Entombed sings about everything, and you can tell they didn't take themselves too seriously. Wolverine Blues pretty much proves this. Nachtmystium evolves lyrically on each album, and while I would hesitate to call Addicts a concept album, all the songs are thematically linked and they resonate with me. It's just so refreshing to hear different takes on some of the death metal cliches.

With that in mind, what else should I look into? I appreciate the anti organized religious themes of most black metal as much as the next guy, but I'm more interested in hearing a band that isn't afraid to take a risk. I would rather hear an album that takes risks and makes some big mistakes than a flawlessly executed album that is basically a thematic rehash of material covered by other bands. I already have a shitload of albums like that.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I'd never listened to Darkthrone before. Just fixed that, they are awesome! The whole death&roll style of their newer material kind of reminds me of Entombed, and the straight up death metal of their early work is great too. I'm a new fan.

Working my way through all the bands listed. Digging Thorns,Glorior Belli Oranssi Pazuzu so far.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

The worst part about it is you just know there is some fat girl out there with tears in her eyes screaming along to this because it speaks to her.

If Hot Topic had a theme song, this would be it.

Jesus christ this is bad. The whole song is the chorus.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
South of Heaven was always my favorite Slayer song.

This is the best music video to go along with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWWFmhJKJW8&feature=plcp

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Speewah posted:

Hell yeah. I enjoy Slayer, but my favourite is probably their cover of I Don't Want to Hear It

If we're doing Slayer covers, I have to throw out their best one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E5Uj-4qn9g

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I know this is a random question but here goes: My girlfriend's father just passed away, and she received his stereo system and his record player. He had boxes upon boxes of old records on vinyl which will be awesome to explore.

But now that I have a record player and a good system to hook it up to, I'd like to hear some metal on vinyl. Do any metal bands put their albums out on vinyl anymore? And if so, where can I find them at? Or is there a reliable site to get modern bands on vinyl? I know alot of the old stuff I know I can use EBAY for alot of older material but I hate using ebay for anything.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

MoreMetalBrian posted:

New Agalloch EP is streaming on their Bandcamp site. 1 song - 21 mins long :

http://agalloch.bandcamp.com/track/faustian-echoes

Site must be getting hit hard or my connection isn't doin too well. Stoked to hear it, though.

Digging the gently caress out of this. Can't wait for the full thing to come out!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

OK so Topshop (a fashion store aimed at young women in the UK, for non-Brits) sells a Slayer shirt. Fine. Whatever. They've been selling Iron Maiden/Motörhead etc. t-shirts for many years, and metalheads roll their eyes but generally get on with life.

But this time they've managed to sell a shirt which has - alongside the Slayer logo - the Totenkopf insignia used by the 3rd SS Division. Hahahaha good loving job, Topshop buyers.

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/s...r&resultCount=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Division_Totenkopf

Considering the subject matter of Angel of Death and Slayer's past use of nazi imagery, how is this shocking at all?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I may be a bit late to the game, but I gave the new Hail Spirit Noir album, Pneuma a spin. I believe it came out back in March? It's like black metal from the 60's. The organ's sound so drat creepy. I have to agree with the reviews I've read so far, It's the three way love child of The Doors, Ghost and Akercocke. One of the more original releases of the year thus far.

Thank you for this, I'd never heard of this band before and I've been checking them out. I love Ghost, and the comparisons are very apt. Yet another band that will probably never tour anywhere near me, but thank god for the internet!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I know this was a few pages back, but a big thank you to whoever mentioned Satyricon a few pages back. I listened to Volcano on my way to work this morning, and it made the commute a hundred times more enjoyable. I'm going to start working my way through their catalog, and listening to whatever else has a similar sound. I think someone called in "black-and-roll" which is a very apt description based on how some of the songs just lock into a groove. Sort of how groovy Bolthrower can get. I'm probably describing this horribly, hope it makes some sort of sense.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Never listened to Enslaved before. Listened to RIITIIR today.

Holy poo poo. That was a loving awesome album. Time to delve into yet another band's back catalog.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I've been on a thrash kick, listening to Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Vader, and Havoc lately. What are some other good new thrash bands to check out?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I've been making a point to listen to whole albums at once to get a better feel for them. I'm always picking up new music, so I have a tendency to listen to a few songs off one album then switch to a new one.

First up: Goatwhore's "Blood for the Master."

In retrospect, perhaps I should have picked a less punishing album to listen to all the way through. Make no mistake, this is a fantastic CD. It's a mix of thrash, black metal, and a touch of punk. Fantastic guitar work, thundering drums, a good range of vocals.

The flaw of the album is that every song is thematically similar. Ok, we get the fact that god came down from heaven and punched every single member of the band right in the dick. Repeatedly. These guys really, really, really have a bone to pick with god, and while the lyrics are well done it gets a little much over the whole album.
I like an album with a dark theme as much as anybody but a little variety would be nice. Slayer at least had the courtesy to sing about the devil AND nazis.

It's a punishing album to get through. I'm an atheist, I'm not offended by the content, however I just don't like the same thing being shoved down my throat for an hour. So giving this album a rating is somewhat of a challenge. Individually, all the songs are at least good, some are mind blowing. "In Deathless Tradition" is a standout track for me. If I listen to one or two songs at a time, the album easily gets eight and a half upside down desecrated crucifixs out of ten. A straight run through though gets six.

It's one of the few cases where the whole is less than the sum of it's parts.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

They're not new, but if you've never heard Coroner you really need to get on that immediately.

I might have listened to the wrong album, but I made my way through Grin and hated it. It sounded like the a B-side to a bad KMFDM album. Is there another album I should listen to first??

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Nordick posted:

Well, Death's style of death metal has never been one of my foremost favourite subgenres so I just never had the inclination to check them out. And there are a LOT of metal bands in the world, you know? There's just so much stuff to listen to.
I mean, Helloween are pretty legendary in their own field too but I'm sure there are metalheads who laragely stick to the heavier side of the spectrum and never really checked them out.

Not being defensive or anything, just saying.

Just go listen to Open Casket. I'm not even a huge fan of this style of metal either, but I absolutely lose my poo poo rocking out to this song.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Oldstench posted:

gently caress. That sucks.

That does suck. Hope they moved the body within three to six hours.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
For me this was an amazing year for metal, because I discovered so many new bands and got new headphones so I can actually appreciate the music better. Here are my ten favorite albums from the year.

1: Black Breath: Sentenced to life. A "death and roll" style album that nails the feel of Entombed without being a direct copy. Mixes metal with punk and a clear sense of fun to the lyrics. Some of the guitar riffs wouldn't sound out of place on an old Motorhead album, even Guns&Roses or Van Halen at their hardest. It's not the most technically complex album out there, but it's just loving good and I have a feeling these guys would be a blast to see live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42ffpQFHZY

2: Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind. Wow. My first Converge album, now I'm frantically going through their back catalog because this is loving brilliant. It opens with an awesome rope-a-dope. "Aimless Arrows" is heavy, but catchy. It's a good emotional song. Then comes "Trespasses." Jesus christ, this is one of the heaviest songs I've heard all year. The whole album is fantastic, Kurt Ballou is superb guitarist. The vocals are good, the lyrics are great, and it's catchy and heavy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHKsClB7Nk

3: Lord Mantis: Perverter of the Will. The most genuinely hateful and vile sounding record I've heard all year. I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX73dGH08dU

4:Royal Thunder: CVI. Excellent retro sounding metal band. Harkens back to Zeppelin and Sabbath, except with a female singer. And this woman can loving belt it out. She's got a great smoky voice, and I can't wait to see them live in three weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0r2d5xPFOo

5: Sylosis: Monolith. Excellent Death/Thrash metal band from England. These guys are young but sound polished well beyond their years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocEwt4HHOg

6: Nachtmystium: Silencing Machine. Takes the raw metal of Instinct and fuses it with the more progessive/experimental nature of Addicts to form. Brings a sense of urgency to black metal, sort of the polar opposite of the meandering nature of say Wolves in the Throne Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZsLtZi9438

7: Woods of Ypres: Woods 5. Of course I find the band only to find out that the singer died in a car crash. Fusion of black, funeral and doom metal. The singer had a fantastic voice, very similar to the singer of Type O Negative. A very introspective metal album, it rocks but not with the frenzied energy of Converge. More like rainy day metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMvL-ZoZXU

8:Enslaved: Riitiir. Another band who's back catalog I have to work my way through. I love the mix of growling and clean vocals, the balance is perfect between the two. Long, thundering songs with excellent riffs and drumming. Just a solid, well written and well produced record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQz0_m16SaU

9: Goatwhore: Blood For the Master. Some days you just want to rock out to some over the top, loud as poo poo hysterically blasphemous metal. On those days, this is the go to album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTBJ26P80U

10: High on Fire: De Vermis Mysteriis. A blisteringly fast stoner metal masterpiece about Jesus' time travelling twin brother. If this sentence didn't pique your interest, nothing else I could write would. Just watch this video. It won't explain a goddamn thing, but it needs to be seen anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Turk February posted:

These are some of my favorites that are in no particular order:

Huge wall of text

Can you maybe post a bit more about what you liked about them and why, or at least what type of metal those are? I recognize some of the bigger bands like Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer but I really don't know anything about the rest of what you posted.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Turk February posted:

You do have a point. A shitload of insight has been added to each album I listed.

Just wanted to say thank you. I plan on checking out each of the bands you listed and listening to at least a song or two on youtube. The effort was much appreciated.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Time for a band I never see talked about here: Black Breath. Their latest album was produced by the guitarist from Converge, and it's simply stellar. They have a great death&roll style sound and the tone is campy in the same way Slayer and Danzig are campy. The songs are simple and yet gloriously over the top.

Check out my favorite from their previous album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JAgbjJLFk

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

MrBling posted:

Nobody mentions Black Breath because they're a completely pointless band.

1: Your point was just nullified by people talking about Black Breath with me.

2: What was your point? I do not mean to be rude or sarcastic, I'm genuinely lost. What bands have a "point"?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Oldstench posted:

Well you see, orthodox black metal something something...

From now on I will be evaluating bands based on their mission statements not their song writing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
If anyone is interested, more tickets for the Boltthrower show at Deathfest just went on sale. I got two, can't wait!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Skeletonwitch: Another awesome band that isn't discussed nearly enough in this thread. I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpLip1sXuoo

I love everything about this band. The guitars, the drumming, the lyrics. And especially the vocals. It's great to be able to actually understand what in the gently caress the singer is saying for a change.

What other bands have a similar vocal style?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

me your dad posted:

They sound absolutely amazing through a good pair of headphones. You can really distinguish the guitar from the bass from the drumming and lyrics. Especially the bass. It sounds really, really good through headphones. I almost can't listen to them outside of that environment.

Totally agreeing with this statement. They really do give my new earbuds a run for their money.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Bloodmobile posted:

Isn't a mention on every single page enough?

Hmmm, let me see here. Skeletonwitch was last mentioned on page 141 as a passing reference on the nature of tagging bands with one set label ie black or thrash metal.

Before that? I have no idea. I searched 17 pages back and didn't see any mention of them.

So please point out the intense recent Skeletonwitch discussion because I'd really like to read it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

In case you guys hadn't heard, Skeletonwitch is recording in April. :thumbsup:

I just came so hard i passed out.

Also throwing in another vote for how awesome yellowgoat is. This I'd some straight evil poo poo.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Ladies and gentleman, Cookie Monster covering AC/DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERte0m3E0ww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Wyzt posted:

HOLY poo poo gently caress EVERYTHING ELSE READ THIS

Bolt Thrower limited USA tour dates! (With Benediction)

23.05: Maryland Deathfest, MD
25.05: Pomona, CA - The Glass House (w/ Autopsy)
26.05: Oakland, SF - Metro Operahouse (w/ Autopsy)
28.05: Portland, OR - Star Theater
29.05: Seattle, WA - Neumos
31.05: Chaos In Tejas, TX
01.06: Chicago, IL - Reggies

gently caress yes! Gonna see em twice now! MDF and Chicago!

Sup fellow MDF attending goon. I can't loving wait till Deathfest, I'm going to try and sweet talk my boss into giving me that weekend off so I can go to the rest of the days besides Thursday and Sunday. Have you been to Baltimore before? I live about 10 minutes from Sonar, so if you need a recommendation on where to get some good food or anything about the city, let me know.