Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
Watched Metallica in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago. Awesome show, made even more awesome by the fact that local death metal dudes Nervecell opened for them. Probably the only date with an opening like that. Check em out, they're in Europe now with Morbid Angel I believe.

In other news, got the new Megadeth album. There seems to be a formula here. Two types of albums came out since Risk - type A and B, one after another.

Type A: Couple of decent new songs, recycled old stuff, horrible/bad fillers.
Type B: Awesome new stuff.

Observe:

World Needs A Hero (Type A): Besides 'Disconnect' there's nothing that really kicks rear end. 'Return to Hangar' and '1000 Times Goodbye' are both recycled/hark back to the past. Rest of the album is filler.

The System Has Failed (Type B): Excellent album, best since Countdown.

United Abominations (Type A): I only really like 'Gears of War'. Crap version of 'A Toute Le Monde' makes an appearance. Rest is crap.

Endgame (Type B): Two really solid tracks, rest not bad either.

Thirteen (Type A): Only fresh song I like so far is 'Sudden Death' (and even that's not so fresh). 'New World Order' and 'Deadly Nightshade' are excellent tracks but both are old.

Here's me hoping there's another Type B on its way sometime.

PS: the new Warbringer loving rules.

The Capitulator fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was actually considering going but I don't like 80% of Metallica's stuff at this point and I was worried I'd get burned. Looking up the setlist now it actually seems like it was a good show, and Dubai/Abu Dhabi are obscure enough for metal that you have to take what you can get. I'm in Kuwait but people regularly fly to the UAE for various shows, people are already booking for a tiesto show in december :|

Apparently while i was in Dubai this past eid I missed out on a concert with Iranian and Indian metal bands, that could've been interesting.

I originally decided to go just for the 'tick mark' (so I can cross Metallica off my list of bands to see), especially judging by the YouTube videos of recent performances and was pleasantly surprised (must have been the beer and overall atmosphere).

You probably missed one of the Metal Asylum shows (http://www.metalityuae.com cover the gigs in the region really well btw). Them plus a couple of other promoters in town mean there's literally at least 2 hard rock / metal shows every weekend. I heard a rumor of a big one in December (non-Metallica big 4 headlining) but its still under wraps for some reason.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Out of curiosity, which two? I have two favorites myself (title track and the one right after it), but I really like all the tracks on the album and wouldn't necessarily call the ones I like "standouts" or anything.

'This Day We Fight' and 'Right To Go Insane'.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
My top albums for 2011:

Symphony X - Iconoclast (best by far)
Trivium - In Waves (I have no idea why, but I really loving like it)
Fleshgod Apocalypse - The Agony (amazing stuff, perfect blend of strings and metal)
Times of Grace - Hymn of a Broken Man (excellent album, well written and to the point)
Megadeth - Thirteen (only because of New World Order)

Also good:
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
Machine Head - Locust
The Haunten - Unseen (if you listen to it 100 times, it grows on you I swear!)
In Flames - Sounds of a Playground (In Flames can do me no wrong)
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (the only rock band I still enjoy)

Sucked:
Chimaira - Age of Hell (age of hell indeed)
Amorphis - The Beginning of Times (it sucked because it was average)
Anthrax - Worship Music (I just don't get it)
Devin Townsend - Whatever soft crap he released (Ocrean Machine & Terria were awesome, this stuff is not)

Any decent thrash albums that I may have missed this year?

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Defiant Sally posted:

Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination is black thrash.
Vektor - Outer Isolation.

Sweet thanks. I checked out Skeletowitch before, couldn't really get into it. Wasn't too keen on the production either, I mostly like my thrash thick and compressed.

Listening to Vektor now, sounds pretty 'out there' as far as thrash goes but the solo on Fast Paced Society just made my day, so these guys will definitely be getting more spins.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm slated to do an interview with Fleshgod Apocalypse in the next few weeks before their tour to South Africa in March.

Does anybody have any questions they'd like to ask?

I got one - can they please visit us in the Middle East (Dubai is perfect but I guess anywhere close will also do) on the way back from SA? They've got at least 2 fans here!

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

Believe me, I know the feeling. We've got FGA and In Flames coming here first quarter, but that's about it. Announced so far anyway, but my hopes are not high.

Welp that's still like 200% better than what is coming up this year for us (exactly nothing, unless you like Kasabian). Any decent SA bands one should be aware of? I go down there once a year or so, will probably be in Joburg in December. I saw a bunch of emo-ish bands on Long Street in Cape Town last November, but nothing proper.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

bronin posted:

I don't understand the hate for lamb of god. Seriously I don't. Do you have to hate them because they are big? (in the US at least. Not over here in Europe)
Especially Randy Blythe is one of the reasons I really like them. He can do the deep growls and high screams and is recognizable, unlike 90% of all DM or BM vocalists.
I also don't really see the pantera thing...
As for the production: I don't really see anything wrong with it :confused: It's certainly nowhere near "Death Magnetic" compression wise.

My theory is that most metalheads dislike them purely because they are big / popular and high school kids like them. But you never know these days.

I personally like some of their slower material (eg. Walk With Me in Hell, Descending), especially drumming - the guy has a very distinct style and sound, at least in my opinion. But yes, they are the Pantera of this generation and yes, most of their material is very bland / generic.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I'm 35 and have been standing at the edges/back for years now :smith:

Hi-fiving all the other dads and being able to drink at the shows still owns though :unsmith:

Plus you get to hone your "the first time I saw these dudes back in '93" stories

I believe ~27 is the right age to join the bar club.

So, went to see Hate Eternal in Dubai a couple of weeks ago (big ups for coming down dudes). Local opening band Perversion Perversion rocked my balls. Great to see the place full, even better given the half-full Avenged Sevenfold the following weekend. I left mid-way through Hate's set though, my ears literally hurt. Hope to see more bands like Hate make their way down.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I've always tried to like Iron Maiden but I think must be the only metal fan who can't stand the sound of Bruce Dickinson's voice? It's just so shrill and irritating that I can barely listen through one of their albums.

You are alone.

Seriously though, 'X Factor' is a killer album, definitely in my top 3 Maiden albums. The correct classification of Maiden studio albums is as follows:

The Masterpieces:
- 7th Son
- BNW
- X Factor
- Number of the Beast

The Classics:
- Powerslave
- Iron Maiden
- Piece of Mind

The Solid Stuff:
- Somewhere In Time
- Matter of Life and Death
- Killers

Hit and miss:
- Fear of The Dark
- Dance of Death
- Final Frontier

poo poo:
- No Prayer
- Virtual 11

PS: New Paradise Lost is awesome.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Phantom of the Opera is what made me want me want to get good at the guitar, I'm glad I decided that ages ago.

Cool story, glad you really like the self-titled album :smuggo:

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
Went to see Insomnium last night. They were pretty tight, played a lot of newer material, which is great because Shadows of the Dying Sun is my favourite album of theirs. Some pics of the event on event FB page. Anyway, the organizers are bringing Swallow the Sun over next month. Where do I start with those guys? I heard a few tracks here and there but nothing caught my ear.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

hopterque posted:

Most of their music is pretty good if you're into doom type stuff, but my absolute favorite Swallow the Sun song/album/whatever will always be Plague of Butterflies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ANdnf2M7Ek

Thank you for this. The first track is actually not too bad, though the rest have so far been too generic for my tastes! I've also gone on to listen to the new CD(s) - Songs from the North - and that's catching my ear somewhat. I like the whole 'Deliverance'/'Damnation' vibe they got going. Will keep at it!

The Capitulator fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 18, 2016

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
I'm going to see Trap Them in two weeks time in Saint Vitus in Brooklyn. Will I be stabbed? Is it hard to get there for a foreigner travelling by Uber / cab from Manhattan and back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Holy poo poo! This, from a 1992 backwater Russian town band? Impressive.