Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Is this the thread where I freak the gently caress out because Meshuggah announced their new album for March 27 2012? Because let me tell you something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lamb of God sure is boring. Every song sounds the same.

See this is how I've always felt about them. "Sub-Pantera" shouldn't be damning with faint praise but in their case it really, really is.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't know if I can get behind this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CivtuX6PNXQ&feature=related

I don't want to get all "but is it art" or nothing but how is this even metal? If not for the subject matter I could see Three Doors Down covering this.

I dislike Lamb of God because it's all bland retreads. If I cared about hating what high schoolers like I'd hate Converge, and I loving love Converge.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Thanks for posting this! I'm digging the new dry sound, it's like the snare's in the room with me. Much less clinical than obZen. Definitely not a disappointment though, as I feel they took their tech side to its apogee on the last record.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Stoo posted:

In other news, the new Goatwhore album is fantastic. For anyone that also really loved 'Carving....', it's basically more of the same. Really recommend it.

They got kinda bland and broad on "Carving" for me, and I loved the first three records a whole lot, so to hear they've plateaued is disappointing to me.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Whoa, Vital Remains plays here in a couple weeks, almost missed it! Any word on how they are live?

I saw them back in 2003 and they were sort of terrible. Krisiun destroyed the stage right before them though, so maybe that's what I'm remembering. Krisiun sounded much better live than on their albums, but VR were pretty corny.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Houseplant posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjKDSVrvDI&ob=av2n

What the gently caress. Seriously, Goon bros, what the gently caress.

They're so upset with deadmau5 :psyduck:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Zodijackylite posted:

Kurt Ballou walked out alone and started rocking out and playing "Plagues" and a bunch of people started saying things to each other, then the full band starts playing the floor opens up as a mosh pit starts and hundreds of young kids and their parents run away.

This sounds loving amazing. I hope I get to see those guys before they (or I) hang it up for good.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

I dig the song but the mixing on this is horrible. Is that super-dry sound in vogue now?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Dimmu's Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joEAb_y7ZYA

I generally don't like Dimmu Borgir but this single song, specifically starting with Vortex's clean vocal, is a track I use to convince disbelievers that metal can be objectively amazing. Too bad Shagrath is s terrible vocalist. Just terrible.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

edit: and since we're on the topic of intro/outro's, there is no intro to the album but there is an outro track which is moog.

I just remembered that the only thing I didn't like about Cephalic Carnage's Xenosapien was the interminable "hidden track" of sub-Melvins sludge riffing that was the only thing keeping it from being my favorite extreme metal record ever. (it still kinda is though)

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 10, 2012

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

With all the talk of avant-garde-y stuff, I feel like I should post Virus, who I came across thanks to this blog post. I can't quite decide if I like it or not, but it's certainly interesting.

I was loving the bass work on this and then the vocals happened and I couldn't help laughing. The guitar parts are a little thin to carry an instrumental, but it's pretty interesting. They do good with breakdowns and mood though, I'll give them that. It's odd that they've been active for a decade and still sound like they're finding their footing. They're like a free-jazz Jawbox only less heavy with a :tinfoil: singer.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Whoa. I don't love how the grunt vocals or drums are mixed (guessing they're sequenced) but holy hell are they impressive.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Melvins used that same emblem almost two decades ago.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Trees and Squids posted:

So here's a little preview of what's to come from Cryptopsy. I never even listened to The Unspoken King so I don't know how much of an improvement this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pTvx9kNQEk

What the gently caress when did Cryptopsy get good? :stare:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Semprini posted:

Pfah, everyone knows Creep is best covered in a power metal style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdrzLrnxBd4

This kicks so much rear end I just can't even describe it. I'm like fistpumping and thinking I need to do a covers album next to reboil the creative juices.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Turk February posted:

I'd also like to recommend for those of you who enjoy dirty black/death metal to check out Antediluvian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI1y9x_qn-w

Is there anything else of theirs where the production isn't muddy beyond recognition, or is that their thing?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

ChickenArise posted:

the latest Locust album

The what now?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

TeamJesus posted:

Pig Destroyer has done it better than anyone else with their past 2 albums in my opinion.

You misspelled Cephalic Carnage pretty badly there.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

rxcowboy posted:

First up: Goatwhore's "Blood for the Master."

You really should have gone with either of their first two records. I love Goatwhore (As in, one of my favorite moments in live music was Ben Falgoust noticing I was screaming along and he fistbumped me from the stage) and I didn't care for that record very much.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Goddamn Meshuggah tour not coming within 200 miles of me :argh: But yeah if you're a fan on FB they posted tour dates last night, hooray for people in major markets.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Here's a hilarious probable LiveJournal entry from Machine Head's Robb Flynn.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Not Very Metal posted:

I am neither Australian nor aware of Blood Duster, but will definitely check them out. Thanks! I have listened to that King Parrot record probably a dozen times since I've gotten it, and can't see myself stopping. It's got all the elements - crazy blastbeats, great riffs, groovy tempo changes, excellent vocals. Love it.

I got way behind on this thread so sorry to bring this back up but all watching that King Parrot video you posted did to me was make me want to turn you on to some peak Soilent Green. Their best album is nearly 15 years old at this point and remains one of the most brutal things I've ever heard. The lyrics are extremely disturbing and their vocalist (who also fronts Goatwhore) sells them like the nightmares they are.

Title track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5fT42kJY90
Full album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf4HV72iJPs

I'm still upset that I never saw them live.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 13, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Suidakra sounds like they've stepped it up quite a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_FjerBuyo

Goddamn are the drums always that boring? I about fell asleep until the bagpipes suddenly appearing woke me up.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Megadeth sucks.

This has always been true.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

hemophilia posted:

Man, I used to like Children of Bodom. What the gently caress happened to this band?

Your taste got better

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Cheapsteaks posted:

Buttdody is an awesome band name.

This is the funniest thing I've heard since the Book of Mormon soundtrack. The melodic vocals at the end of the track had me on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ulver pretty much rules how can you not enjoy this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrhUneRifA

What in the world did I just watch?

So anyway, I was listening to Decapitated's Nihility and I found myself wondering what, if anything, Vogg ended up doing. This has probably already come up but if anyone else hasn't seen it, it's more Decapitated, but uhm. How to put this... it's simultaneously one of the happiest and saddest death metal music videos I've ever seen. It's sort of a spiritual successor to "Headbanging while making fire" imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Wpo8j1Ta0