Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Gaggins posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bCRG3CG0 -like this kind of cheesiness is good, and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfdcepWlQM -this kind of cheesiness is good too but not at all what I'm looking for.

I kind of love Cradle's From the Cradle to Enslaved video. I think it's fun, even though everyone hates Cradle now. I also think Singapore's Rudra has epic cheesy videos, like Immortal, but about Hindu myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Efilnikufesin posted:

Why the hatred for pirate metal?

If you have to ask...well basically what everyone else said. It's good that most of those dudes have a sense of humor about what they do (please tell me this is true for more than just Alestorm!) but they could just...write/do poo poo that's less gimmicky.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

BSchlang posted:

Are there any good metal bands that sing or growl in German? It's a harsh sounding language as is, so I want to see how well it works in metal.

Unheil sings in German, and I think Jack Slater might have some German songs in there. I second Bethlehem. Checked them out because they're on MDF, and holy poo poo.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Of all the folk bands, the ones I actually like are Tyr, Kampfar and Vried (kind of folky, I guess).

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

My itunes/ipod hasn't scrobbled in over a year. I should really just delete Last now...since my computer time doesn't match last, I will never be able to scrobble again. Bummer.

But if I had to guess, my all time top scrobble would be Acid Bath or Agents of Oblivion.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I don't remember who exactly recc'd me Psycho, but thanks! I liked them so much, I tracked them down for an interview.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2011/09/psycho-singaporean-death-metal.html

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Ghost not coming to North America

This was via Facebook. Complications with visa's, how does this still happen??

Because work visas for the USA are really expensive and hard to get. Normally, you send your passport in three months in advance and don't get visa confirmation until less than a week (usually three days) before the tour starts.

In sum, it's a hot mess and that's why poo poo gets cancelled last minute.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Don't know if anyone here is a fan, but B from lifelover died. :(

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Neckbeards rejoice- Dillenger Escape Plan, Mastodon and Red Fang tour dates announced.

http://www.theprp.com/2011/09/12/ne...-the-late-show/

side note- "Curl of the Burl"...whenever I read that, in my head I think of a fat stoner neckbeard talking with food in his mouth. "Brah, Curl of the Burl, brah. *slurp slurp*" Ugh.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

Boots and belt you'd probably find at hot topic or something, I don't really know what they sell there but for some reason that store comes to mind.

If you're going to spend money on hot topic combat boots or something, check out the army/navy stores or drop a little more on some good boots. Hot Topic boots are usually expensive and not comfy for the price and for just a *bit* more you can get some nice boots that'll hold up for a while.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Didn't see this posted, but there's a new ABsu song from the new album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDowNse1Fk

Enjoy.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Another female fronted band. This one's thrashy/old school-y.

Mortillery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBx5BlxP54

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I feel so bad for the tours that play Firestone in Orlando. It's a HUGE venue, it holds like 1300 people, it's almost nearly empty, or half empty and sometimes they have to curtain off half the venue. It almost always sounds like poo poo, unless the engineer has played there before.

I wish they'd play a smaller venue, we have a few here, although no good venues for between 1300 and 300 people.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

MrBling posted:

het has a challenge for the thread.

which band logo is the bottom right logo based on?

Somebody said Nifelheim and I am inclined to agree, or Treblinka. I thought of Skeletonwitch first though.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

attackmole posted:

So anyone listen to the new Anthrax yet? I'm not entirely sure I want to put myself through it.

I don't like Anthrax, so I didn't like it. I find them really...tacky. That's the only way I can consider it.

However, people who are fans have called it a "return to form" so I guess, take that as you will.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On the subject of Skeletonwitch, is it worth paying for a ticket to see the Black Dahlia Murder just because Skeletonwitch are supporting? I'm kinda torn.

BDM would be better live if they had better fans. They're actually a really fun and energetic band to watch. One of BDM's fans cracked one of my ribs! Hooray! If you don't like hardcore dancers, stay away from the pit most of the night. Then again, I saw them like 4 years ago, so I don't know if people still hardcore dance to them.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Nirvana7x posted:

How does the new Absu album sound? My buddy landed their new guitarist gig so pretty excited to hear the new stuff with his guitar input/work. Unfortunately I can't grab anything leaked right now =(

edit: and I think the other guy was confused that Abzu wasn't referring to some other band, but rather the new album from Absu. Case closed!

edit2: Found a track on youtube and it seems cool. Saw two tracks, but the other song was lovely quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBj1ZE7tokE

Pretty awesome, but I can hear the drums a lot less. :(

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

New Medadeth song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Mb2vMTIjg&feature=player_embedded

It's not that *good* but it's not bad, and it's better than Anthrax.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

I don't even know if he is playing with Testament right now, or if this has any effect on the upcoming tour, but it's still news worth sharing.

James Murphy (Testament, Obituary, Death/mixed tons of albums) 's brain tumor has come back. I know it's blabbermouth, but I've seen this confirmed by several of his friends on facebook as well.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164299

Oddly enough, this is the 3rd brain tumor of a Tampa-related musician (Chuck, Murphy and Curtis Beeson). Weird.

Anyway, I'll keep posted about benefit shows or anything.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Nasum is going to do some farewell shows with the singer of Rotten Sound.

I am crossing my fingers for a last minute add on to MDF, or they replace a band that drops.

Would be amazing.

http://nasum.com/2012/

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Symphony X/ Iced Earth/ Warbringer (really?) Tour:

Jan
31 Hartford , CT Webster Theater
Feb
1 Phila , PA Trocadero
3 Sayreville , NJ Starland Ballroom
4 Quebec City , QC Albert Rousseau
5 Montreal , QC Metropolis
6 Toronto , ON Phoenix
9 Winnipeg , MB Garrick
10 Saskatoon , SK Louis Pub
11 Edmonton , AB Starlite Room
12 Calgary , AB Flames Central
14 Vancouver , BC Commodore Ballroom
15 Seattle , WA Showbox Market
16 Portland , OR Hawthorne Theater
17 Sf, CA Regency Ballroom
18 LA , CA Club Nokia
20 Las Vegas , NV House of Blues
21 Anaheim CA The Grove
22 San Diego , CA House of Blues
24 SLC , UT The Complex
25 Denver , CO The Summit Music Hall
26 Kansas City , MO Midland Theater
27 Dallas , TX Trees
28 Austin , TX Emos East
29 Houston , TX House of Blues
March
2 Ft Lauderdale , FL Revolution
3 Lake Buena Vista ,FL House of Blues
5 Raleigh , NC Lincoln Theater
6 Charlotte , NC The Filmore Charlotte
7 Columbus , OH Newport Music Hall
9 Worcester , MA The Palladium
10 NYC , NY Best Buy Theater
11 Clifton Park , NY Northern Lights

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Current Flattus Maximus, of Gwar was found dead today.

No idea what this means for the current tour. This is a bummer. I met these guys ages ago at a signing and they were hilarious.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/breaking-gwar-guitarist-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Does Proscriptor write the music or is he just the "front man"?

He writes the majority of the music and the lyrics. I think more recently though, the guitarists have had more input. This new album has way more interesting guitar parts.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

MDF confirmed NASUM on MDF X.

Hellll yes.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Also, this is a really, really nice final statement about Flattus. Dave Brockie is awesome.

http://www.metalinsider.net/updates...-status-on-gwar

In short, the tour will finish and they're retiring the Flattus costume.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

E2M2 posted:

Are bands still cancelling from MDF a month before the show happens? I remember the one year I went Cynic was supposed to headline, but they cancelled right before the show happened.

Some bands cancel the day of or the day before because of visa issues. Sucks that when someone applies for a visa, they find out 3 days before if it will be granted, and they can still be denied at customs. I think that's what happened to Lock Up last year. (I'm sure this varies if you get a tourist or work visa.)

But yeah, bands drop off. With so many bands, it's kind of inevitable that for some band/s, something will come up.

As long as Nasum and Brujeria play, I will be stoked. :)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

The Capitulator posted:

Watched Metallica in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago. Awesome show, made even more awesome by the fact that local death metal dudes Nervecell opened for them. Probably the only date with an opening like that. Check em out, they're in Europe now with Morbid Angel I believe.

Nervecell is awesome and I'm glad they're getting some press. If you haven't check out Scarab http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwtIhWUmZc (long intro, I don't emember which songs I liked best, so this one is random) and Rudra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVvDOTxEb_Q)

On a side note, Rudra does an amazing unplugged set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJmrklsxdfg&list=FL1CZtDuCjWH3WvbgCeGVQ7A&index=3&feature=plpp_video

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

New Vallenfyre is out this week. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibetDfGWOFo

So is new Illogicist. They sound like late period Death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5K1Zjt8Qi0

e-links links links!

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 10, 2011

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

That riff 35 seconds into the song from Illogicist is ripped straight from Death. :lol:

Yeah, there's a lot of Death in their music. It's a solid album though, no complaints here.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Warlord Clothing based out of LA also makes a good showing at MDF. (And a bunch of Euro fests, so they're efficient!) All their stuff is licensed and they are really reasonable. I think they mostly deal in regular T shirts, but might have some hoodies online.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Yeah, if I only bought shirts from shows, I'd own nothing but Cannibal Corpse and Nile shirts. That's what living in Orlando is like.

Buying shirts from distros online or at fests, at least I know the band will get some cut of it, and it's still a cool story. Like "Oh, I found this cool vendor at MDF and they had this totally rare shirt blah blah blah."

For real, if I only bought shirts from shows, I'd own about 5. And I wouldn't have my sweet collection of Dissection shirts, and that would be lame.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Maybe it's just me and the bf, but I love shirts with print on the front and back. I love full color shirts. I love long sleeves with sleeve prints. I am not really a fan of just plain logo shirts, unless there's something totally cool about the shirt. I like non-black t-shirts.

Don't get me wrong, I have my share of one color, front only prints, but if I buy something, I want to love it and I want it to be pretty, drat it.

I guess I'm in the minority here. It's not like I wear them to work or to fancy occasions, although if I'm not working, I'm almost always in jeans and a metal T shirt.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

It's nice to be able to fly a flag and maybe someone will recognize it, and at the same time be dismissed by people who frown on "that sort of thing", all without any effort. Saves time and aggravation.

Yes, this. It makes life so easy. People who would talk to you while wearing a shirt that says "gently caress YOUR GOD" will talk to you anywhile, and people who don't want to associate with "that kind of riff raff" are sorted out so easily!

On an MDF note, Desaster had to cancel, Absu added to the Thursday line up. Hell yes.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Can we all just agree that clothes are clothes and not turn this into some fashion debate that happened on GBS or something...

To contribute, I totally forgot how awesome Strapping Young Lad was and I am going to revisit their stuff.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

I prefer the Leprosy/Spiritual era, got anything that sounds like that? I like the newer more mature sound too.

But nothing starts my day better than blasting Pull The Plug at full volume.

Maybe some similar era/place stuff? Early Obituary (you might not like the vocals here, it's half words, half puke sounds, but totally amazing), Monstrosity, early Morbid Angel, maybe lesser known stuff like Brutality (these guys have a sort of technical edge you might like), Diabolic, Massacre (which I am so NOT a fan, but maybe you will like it).

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

The vocals in any band are a sticking point for me. I checked out Obituary and loved the sound, hated the angry cookie monster vocals. Maybe it's an acquired taste since I'm still relatively "new" to metal, I'll check them out again.

What's a good starting song for Morbid Angel and Brutality?

Someone answered MA for me ;) My starting point was Domination, which I loved. The vocals are heavy but totally understandable. Altars might be a little closer to the sound you already like.

Brutality only every put out two albums. I particularly liked When the Sky Turned Black. The whole thing, start to finish, is a masterpiece.

Seconding Pestilence. Adding Hail of Bullets and Asphyx (more Van Drunen) and Bolt Thrower (slow death metal)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

MrBling posted:

So which of their albums are you discounting? :v:

Neither, just like WtSTB better. :P

I'll second the Atheist recc. It's more late period Death style than early, but listen to the song Mother Man, and I'll be damned if you don't love it.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Gr31lly posted:

I think it's more that Brutality made three albums, not two. All are definitely worth listening to, although In Mourning is noticeably weaker than Screams of Anguish or When the Sky Turns Black.

If anyone wants something a little less ordinary Demented Ted are worth checking out.

So they did. My bad. I never even heard In Mourning. gently caress that album then. :P

Besides, there's no no no way it tops WtSTB. :D

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

So after seeing the lineup for Hellfest, my boyfriend and I have decided that we just HAVE to go (Darkspace are definitely on my bucket list of 'bands to see before I die'. Not to mention Arcturus, and a million other amazing bands).

Any goons been before? Any advice/warnings to offer? And what's the best way of getting to Clisson from London? We were thinking of getting the coach as my beloved is a bad flyer, and this way we don't have to worry about baggage limits etc. But if there's a better way, please let me know :)

e: sp
I was at hellfest this year, but I was with a band, so my experience is a little different.

If you can get to the Clisson airport, there's a shuttle from clisson to hellfest that's like 10 eur a person. :)

Advice: have a blast. Warnings: it rained the whole time, so waterproof the tent, bring some plastic to lay down and warm clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I spent a year living in Brittany - the weather was pretty bad, now you come to mention it... I've been incredibly lucky and never been to a really rainy festival - Leeds in 2002 and Bloodstock in 2010 were damp, but not that bad - relentless rain must be soul-sapping. I'll prepare accordingly. :)

Just cold, mostly! I was already in boots, but I only packed tshirts and shorts! Huge mistake, haha. Some people suggested bringing plastic to lay down in the tent under sleeping bags and stuff, and I'd suggest bringing jeans and shorts and a jacket or two. NIghts were freezing, but if you're loaded, you won't notice so much :D