Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

I kind of went lukewarm on Ghost even though I loved Opus Eponymous when it came out. I think I just discovered bands in that style that I prefer, like Year of the Goat and The Devil's Blood. I will not deny that Opus Eponymous has some brilliant songs on it.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

A friend pointed me towards French band The Great Old Ones, and from the samples on their Bandcamp, I think I'm in love. They're somewhere between spacey French black metal, and funeral doom.

This needs to be heard by everyone. Dreamy, dark, haunting. It's the perfect "post-black metal" (I hate that term, but I'll use it for convenience) album. It has all the raw, bleak darkness of black metal, with all the beauty of post-rock, without compromising on either part. A truly spectacular debut. I can't heap enough praise on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I need grimy, gross-sounding thrash in the vein of the first few Slayer records and Sodom. Faster and looser the better. Bonus points for lots of crazy nonsense guitar solos and an Araya-esque vocal style. Someone help me out.

NEKROMANTHEON!

I can't hype this band enough, they released their 2nd album in 2012 but it sounds like Pleasure to Kill era Kreator, hope you enjoy!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

For anyone interested, Mitochondrion debuted a new song live the other night. The quality is good, the song is also good. These guys released one of the most twisted death metal albums of last year (Parasignosis). Any other fans here?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bagsack posted:

Totally! Parasignosis is mental. I'm always really disappointed by the way the album wraps up though. There's so much momentum going into the end and then it just totally falls apart. Archaeaeon had much better pacing.

Gonna have to disagree with you here! I felt Archaeaeon was really drawn out, but I have listened to Parasignosis far more, and am more than willing to give Archaeaeon another try. I will report back with my findings some time. I remember it having some truly stellar tracks though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Unholy poo poo! I discovered today that we get a new Bosse De Nage album in June! Better still, there is a track streaming at Profound Lore now. Anyone who listened to the brilliance of Bosse De Nage's album "II" last year will know that this is essential listening. For the uninitiated they are a crazy avante garde black metal band who write very dark and unsettling music. From memory, II featured very high up on Grim Kim's top albums of 2011 writeup for Metalsucks.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Wattsamatta posted:

I saw Ghost, Mastadon and Opeth last night in Seattle. I had never heard Ghost before, and wow. They were awesome. I picked up their CD at the show and it's good. Really good. The lyrics are ridiculous, but the music and melody is amazing.

Mastadon absolutely kicked rear end. They put on an excellent live show. Curl of the Burl was as amazing live as I imagined it would be.

Opeth was just "OK" for me. I have seen them a few times before, and it was basically the same, but a lot more of the new album.

But yeah check out Ghost. Was good yo.

Ghost's album is really fun, I definitely need to dig that out of my collection again. I still haven't seen them live, the show I booked got cancelled

Opeth have put heavier stuff in their setlist again, right? They were really disappointing when I saw them on their UK leg of the Heritage tour. Encoring with a song from the new album was a bit of a joke.

I am desperate to see Mastodon again, I love that band a stupid amount, even if I was a little disappointed by The Hunter.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Fear Factory just posted this on FB.

Looking forward to seeing FF (2nd time), Voivod and Cattle Decapitation.

Speaking of, CD`s new album is REALLY loving good.

Even though The Browning are there, I'd go for FF/Voivod/CD/Havok and Revocation.

Urgh, The Browning really are horrible though. Really horrible.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Perhaps the greatest thing I read about The Browning was this

nomapple fucked around with this message at May 3, 2012 around 23:58

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Killsion posted:

This is nice and all but this belongs in the deathcore thread.

Noted.

Anyway, I ordered the Watain Opus Diaboli boxset which arrived today It's very nicely presented, the photobook is very nice quality, the artwork on the LP jackets is nice, the box is good quality, and the signed screen print(?) also looks fantastic. Despite this, I do have a few gripes. The DVD/CDs don't have slipcases, they are simply affixed to the bottom of the box by discs that go through the centre of the DVD. This meant that by the time I received the box, they had all come loose and were sliding round the bottom. Luckily, none of them were damaged, but I didn't think it was great. Also, the LP jackets are VERY flimsy. They constitute strong paper at best. My only other gripe would be the fact that the box was shipped wrapped in 1 layer of bubble wrap in what was essentially a bin bag. I would happily have paid extra for safer shipping. Overall though, I am very happy with the contents of the product and overall quality of it. I have not watched the DVD yet, but the live recordings are brilliant.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Xombie posted:

I saw Enslaved in October, and they sounded great despite a terrible venue.

Enslaved are amazing! I saw them in April 2011 and I think they're one of the best live bands I've seen. All their material sounded great, the atmosphere was really nice, and they knew how to handle the crowd. Excellent band.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

I went to see Deströyer 666 on Friday night with Lvcifyre and Grave Miasma. I don't really have much to say about the 2 support other than that I enjoyed them on record but it all sounded pretty same-y live. I don't know whether that is because I wasn't overly familiar with the material or whether the sound wasn't quite up to it or what. Grave Miasma certainly did create a good occult atmosphere with the incense and candles though.

To get to the point, Deströyer 666 absolutely, 100% crushed everything. Playing a setlist that spanned everything from demo material to their 2009 release, Defiance, the hour they played for was unrelentingly savage, and the setlist was wall to wall brilliant songs. Something about this band make me feel utterly invincible. Shouting "I AM THE WARGOD!" with 150 other sweaty metalheads in an absolutely packed room was awesome, and their rendition of Blood for Blood was spine-tinglingly good. I can't really adequately explain just how much I enjoyed this band, but if they're coming to your area then I urge you to go see them. Unrelenting, savage, and fun.

On another note I finally watched Watain's Opus Diaboli. It was very enjoyable, and the concert footage was for the most part very well filmed, however I would've liked to see more of the drummer, the cameras were very much centred on Erik. The footage of Erik talking about the band was also very interesting, however I am sceptical as to how much insight I have gained from what he said, and how much was just for show. The only thing that confused me was I couldn't see any blood during their live show. For their 13th Anniversary show I was certain they would be using some, and I would be surprised if they agreed to play a venue that did not allow it. Was anyone at the show in Sweeden? Did anyone see it? I definitely didn't see any when they played "Devil's Blood". My only complaint would be there could've been less random arty bullshit (of which there wasn't much, but still) and more of Erik talking. Highly recommended if you are a big(ish) Watain fan, however I don't think I'd recommend it to someone who was only slightly interested in the band.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

You're going to want to keep the 4th of August free mate.

Holy mother of god you're right!

Gutted that I probably won't be around.

From Deströyer 666's facebook page:

quote:

Destroyer is proud to announce we will be playing the Southern Cross Fest along side our Aussie comrades Hobbs Angel of Death,a long time influence on the band,GOTH,Assaulter and Vomitor.Its a once in a lifetime event.Aug 4th The Dome,London.

I want this so bad. gently caress.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

That is an awesome event, Aussie metal is vicious

I never realised until recently that they had a rather good extreme metal scene there. I scoffed at the idea of Aussie Black Metal at first. I was proven horribly wrong.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

QPZIL posted:

I've been really getting into Alcest lately (and Neige's other stuff: Old Silver Key, Lantlôs, Amesoeurs)

Can someone suggest similar stuff?

Les Discrets? I saw them open for Alcest and they sounded pretty similar. Wasn't wild about their 2012 release but apparently the one prior to that was better.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

QPZIL posted:

For you vinyl dudes, there's a new Agalloch box set out:
http://www.eisenton.de/agalloch_box.html

Contains From Which of This Oak, Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor and a 1998 promo, along with books and art and stuff.

My wallet hates me for being such a sucker for Agalloch

I thought this sold out ages ago! Thanks for sharing (not like I can afford it at the moment anyway though).

I am too lazy to click through all the Aussie Metal links to find out what artists you guys are posting about, so have some Woods of Desolation. This album was recorded with the drummer from Austere and is very, very good.

EDIT: Hooray! They weren't already featured.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Nexein posted:

Yeah that's kind of what I had expected; they kind of seem like they're in the grey between prog-metal and a kind of ambient (Lately, a la Heritage, at least). Akerfeldt's side project with Steven Wilson really worked well for me though, in that "grey" genre.

I know it's Opeth's choice as artists, but I do hope they bring some death metal back in. The perfect fusion of prog/death metal is why I loved them in the first place. There is nothing "wrong" with Heritage, but it is nowhere near as special as the rest of their catalogue. I think they did the softer stuff a lot better on Damnation anyway, man, I love that album!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

IRQ posted:

I'm more annoyed that Dethklok is an actual thing outside the tv show and that people think it's good music.

Yeah I liked the songs in the context of the TV show but I tried listening to an album and got bored. Definitely dig the show though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

New Gospel of the Horns track

Thanks for sharing. So confused with these guys, haven't they split up 2 or 3 times? So gutted I'm missing that show in London with D666. Which album should I start with by GotH?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

By "pit tickets" do you mean standing tickets, or do they have a separate area down the front for mosh pits in the US?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Standing area, which is generally the significant portion in front of the stage. There's usually tiered seating/standing behind that that's covered by "general admission" tickets or seated tix.

Oh yeah I see what you mean. I think I've done every concert I've been to standing other than Rush in 07 and Maiden in 08.

Even though I don't always go in for it, I find a metal show without a pit somehow lacking. Nothing worse than a stagnant crowd to kill the atmosphere. I like that if I lose my mind to one of my favourite songs then I can jump in and have a push around and let my energy out.

That said, nothing annoys me more than a pit where it's clearly not wanted/needed (case in point: people trying to pit at Anathema a couple of weeks ago). People who ruin pits by feeling the need to assert their dominance by being unnecessarily rough to everyone else also annoy me, as well as those who try to drag in people who clearly don't want to be there.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm just starting to get into metal and I'm still trying to figure out what I like. I saw Brutal Truth, Dropdead and Nasum live and I'm positive that I like grind, but then I went to a doom show (Church of Misery and The Gates of Slumber) and it reminded me a little too much of 80s hair metal. I do also like Withered, Dimmu Borgir and Amon Amarth. So what do I listen to next?

Nasum are amazing, great choice. I'd get Wormrot- Dirge, it's an excellent grind album, and I think it is still available for free from the label website. Highly recommended. I would also recommend Rotten Sound (their vocalist is doing the Nasum farewell shows), their most recent album "Cursed" is very good. Then, Insect Warfare- World Extermination. These guys only made 1 album before splitting but it is very good. Then of course there's Napalm Death, of the early stuff I would recommend Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration, and of the later stuff, Smear Campaign.

Right then, recommendations for if you like Amon Amarth: At the Gates' album Slaughter of the Soul is essential melodeath, really, really good. You might like Children of Bodom too, Hatecrew Deathroll is a fun album. Other than that I'm not too into melodeath, so I'll let someone else field the rest of that question.

Dimmu Borgir: Rotting Christ's recent stuff, particularly Theogonia comes highly recommended from me. I feel obliged to recommend Cradle of Filth too, they often get paired with Dimmu, but I would definitely stick to their earlier releases as they have suffered something of a decline in recent years. You might enjoy Immortal's albums A Heart of Winter and All Shall Fall, they are definitely more pure black metal, but they definitely retain a sense of melody. I would also recommend Keep of Kalessin, Kolossus and Reptilian are both great albums, and finally, Watain's album, Lawless Darkness. Flawless black metal riffing on that album with some awesome lead guitar parts as well.

I realise there's a lot of stuff there, so I hope you find something you like

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Thorias posted:

Love the thread title change.

Also yes, the new Cattle Decapitation album is loving excellent.

Got confused by the thread title change, haha. Gonna have to check out the new Cattle Decapitation by the looks of things with so many people recommending it both here and elsewhere.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Aw thank you :3 did we meet?

Arcturus were actually… a bit disappointing. Watched half their set, then scarpered to get a spot in the Valley for Sunn. Might have been them, might have been me, but something just wasn't quite working; audience reaction also seemed a bit subdued (I thought). Ah well, finally getting to see Darkspace (Darkspace!) made up for it. Ihsahn was also a bit shite - my third time seeing him and worst of the lot by a long chalk.

+1 for Arcturus being a bit disappointing, couldn't get into it at all, but then I haven't listened to them on record, so... Also I thought Ihsahn was better than he was at Bloodstock 2011, although that was mainly down to sound. Having keyboards instead of the saxophone loving sucked though.

Bands I saw:
Celeste, Merrimack, Doomriders, Belenos, Benediction, Sólstafir, Endstille, Darkspace, Taake, Nasum, Moonsorrow, Satyricon, Obituary, King Diamond, Oranssi Pazuzu, Necros Christos, Ascension, Cancer Bats, Uffomamut, Yob, Shining, Enslaved, Entombed, Napalm Death, Aosoth, Winterfylleth, Alcest, Anaal Nathrakh, Dying Fetus (a few songs), Ihsahn, Lock Up, Suffocation, Arcturus, Sunn O))).

It was a really great festival and the stages were really well staggered to minimise clashes. The only bad clashes for me were Entombed/The Devil's Blood and Behemoth/Refused (my moment of indecision meant I couldn't get in to either tent ). I would've liked to see Lamb of God too just for a bit of metal nostalgia because they helped me get into heavier stuff, but it was raining heavily when they were on from 1-2am and I'd left my coat in the tent! I also missed Orange Goblin because I was too tired/lazy to move from the black metal stage by that point in the day, my mistake, as I hear they were awesome.

Best 5 bands:Enslaved, King Diamond, Obituary, Nasum, Taake
Worst band: Unexpect - I watched a song or 2 at most and I could bear no more, sounded like an unorganised mess of ideas. Learn to write a song, then we'll talk. Hearing GnR butcher Another Brick in the Wall and then piss on it's remains was also a low point. Benighted's pig squeals were pretty offensive to my ears too.
Biggest surprises Shining, Kvarforth was on form, he looked angry, swigging whiskey from the bottle and spitting it out, and generally being really engaging. Their music also had more punch to it than I remembered it having. I missed half their set to get a good spot for Yob, but I really enjoyed what I saw. The other surprise hit (for me) were Sunn O))), despite being sceptical of the band's recorded outputs, their live show is truly something to behold. It was more like a sensory experience than "watching a band", as you can physically feel the vibrations, and the room (in this case a tent) is dark and filled with dry ice. It was really weird, once I became accustomed to the vibrations, my mind did wander a bit, but when they stopped playing, I realised just how powerful their sound was. I would definitely go see them again at their own show.

My only real complaints about the festival would be the lack of variety in the food stalls, at least 75% of them were exclusively kebabs, burgers or sandwiches, and quality vegetarian food was almost non-existent save for the Thai place. I'm not a vegetarian, but at UK fests I generally enjoy the vege stands more than the meat orientated ones. My other complaint would be that the sound on the death metal stage was, for the most part, loving abysmal. I think the only band which had no sound issues were Obituary. Nasum were absurdly muddy, and Napalm Death, Entombed, Lock Up, and Dying Fetus all had issues with their guitar sound at some point during their sets.

In short, I will definitely be back next year unless the lineup is exclusively power metal, nu metal and djent bands. *shudder*.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

BjornOfBorg posted:

Thanks for these links, guys. Saves me some time downloading this stuff and/or waiting for it to show up on Spotify. Listening to Ihsahn first.

Ihsahn is already on Spotify (in the UK anyway) if you prefer to listen like that. (SCROBBLES!)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Not sure which thread I should post this in, because Cloudkicker encompasses many genres, but it's broadly speaking, metal, so: There's a new album due this autumn and it sounds like it's going to be incredible. Get excited.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Crappers posted:

So I finally got to see Inquisition (twice) a couple weeks back at Evil Invaders IV in Sydney. Hands down one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Played a lot of stuff from their newest album, but considering everything they've ever recorded is quality that's certainly not a bad thing. The slow, meandering Desolate Funeral Chant was pure loving bliss!

Other highlights of the weekend: Innsmouth, Vomitor, Assaulter, Hobbs Angel of Death, Hellbringer, Convent Guilt, Heresiarch.

I love Inquisition and I still haven't been able to see them live yet, when they stopped in London I had other commitments. Hopefully now that they're on SoM they'll tour more regularly and I can fix this problem! Also, I think Ominous Doctrines... might be my favourite Inquisiton album anyway, so this is fine by me. I love how hypnotic their music is. And I gather from what people have said, that no ferocity is lost live, and the 2 of them pull it all off?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Checked out the new Dying Fetus and gently caress me it rules! Totally took me by surprise if I'm honest, Subjected to a Beating was an awesome preview but I was sceptical of the album as a whole. Only up to "In The Trenches" so far, but from "From Womb to Waste" up to "In the Trenches" has been pure gold. So much groove in here, it's making me want to take a sledgehammer to someone's face, repeatedly.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

The amazon digital download better be ready at 00:00 EST prompt or I'm going to be real cranky.

edit: only 5 dollars(??) thats a deal if ever I saw one.

Yeah the new album loving slays. I think they achieve the "organic yet technical" that Meshuggah were aiming for on Koloss better than Meshuggah do. (I'm not much of a 'Shuggah fan though so feel free to disagree.) However I'm sure I can hear a few recycled riffs, or at least very similar riffs to previous albums in there somewhere. It will take a few more spins for me to pick them out, but I love the album regardless. It's been waaay too long since we had new Gojira material.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Where/when are they gonna make this available?

Physical copies available on the US tour and then on the webstore shortly after I think. The download will go on sale on bandcamp soon from what I gather.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Haggins posted:

If you're looking for something good to listen to on your iPod or whatever, Hell's Headbangers puts out a very good podcast called Hellcast. It's not just all HHB bands or just death/black but it's a good mix of underground stuff you may or may not have heard before (even including some power metal). The guy doing the DJing, Reaper, knows his poo poo and adds some good insight to the music. Also, each show usually usually includes an interview where the guest will also pick out a few of their favorite tracks. You really couldn't ask for a better metal show. The only bad thing is, if you're like me, you'll end up buying a couple albums after each episode.

The podcast started about a year ago and Reaper was putting out episodes on a regular basis. For whatever reason the show has been on hiatus for 2012. The good news is that they put a new episode last week and are promising to keep it coming on a regular basis.

I hope this is as good as it sounds. I have been looking for a good extreme metal podcast for a while!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

OK so Topshop (a fashion store aimed at young women in the UK, for non-Brits) sells a Slayer shirt. Fine. Whatever. They've been selling Iron Maiden/Motörhead etc. t-shirts for many years, and metalheads roll their eyes but generally get on with life.

But this time they've managed to sell a shirt which has - alongside the Slayer logo - the Totenkopf insignia used by the 3rd SS Division. Hahahaha good loving job, Topshop buyers.

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/s...r&resultCount=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Division_Totenkopf

Weaponised Cum posted:

If you like old-school Death Metal then you should listen to Witchrist. These dudes are from New Zealand (which has also given us awesome bands like Ulcerate) and kick all kinds of rear end. Their latest album was released on Osmose Productions and it slays.

Click me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLm9WFvkQk

\m/

Seconding this, even though I haven't heard the new album yet, because what I have heard of their material rules. It's available on Spotify for all of you who use that as well.

On another note, the new Gojira gets better every listen. I thought it was good, but not not special at first, and now I am really enjoying it. Likewise, Deathspell Omega's Drought, which underwhelmed me at first, is now sounding rather excellent. Both definite growers.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Lich King just posted this:

Ouch but

I wonder where it all went wrong? Not like I was gonna go, being a UK resident, but that lineup had some sweet bands on it. I would've like to see Voivod, Cattle Decap, Havok and Revocation (the best bands on the bill from memory, not fussed about FF or any of the others really). Seemed like a solid lineup. Maybe there wasn't enough presale to pay the bands and they started dropping off, I don't know?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Not much cross-appeal between Fear Factory, Voivod, and CD/MI. Fear Factory have been a bit of a joke when half the band gets kicked out/leaves after every album (well, just the last few).

The other problem is that the two headliners are too different from the other bands. People who really like FF and that style don't have a lot else to like on the bill, people who really like Voivod get one rethrash band (Havok) and a crappy tech-death band (Revocation). You would sell more tickets if it was just Fear Factory or Voivod and someone similar to them. The lineup below the top two bands is basically the bands that nobody else wanted on the summer package tours that were announced earlier than this.

Hmm yeah. The lineup did look a bit thinly spread for my taste, and The Browning seem really out of place on that bill. From what I've heard, Fear Factory are pretty bad live at the moment, so I guess it would only be the diehard fans interested in seeing them.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

The t-shirt is not official by Slayer, it is not "a metal t-shirt" and it is not band merch. It's a print by sub-label of a high street fashion label who print music and pop culture brands onto t-shirts to sell to teenage girls via an in-house deal with Topshop (who's owner, Philip Green, just happens to be Jewish).

I know we're all bitter, jaded and cynical trve metal warriors ... or alternatively immature, shallow and affecting a lassez faire attitude, but the reality of the matter is that that's a highly offensive print that happens to also contain the logo of an extremely well known metal band who've had to fight off contentions of nazi fandom in the past. And it's been done in the name of making money from teenagers who have most likely absolutely no idea who the band are or what they sound like.

If you can't see why that's a valid item for discussion (at the least), you're either brain dead or legitimately a psychopath.

All of this.

Also it looks like I can go to Southern Cross Fest now (!!!) so which is the better Hobbs' Angel of Death album? Gospel of the Horns have really grown on me as well. I got A Call to Arms and I really dig it. I will have to investigate further.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Southern Cross Fest is on the same night as A Forest of Stars / Virophage (Frank from Fen's death metal band) / Wodensthrone, and I'm going to that instead. Gah silly gig scheduling - I'd've gone to both if I could have. I love love love A Forest of Stars live, so looking forward to that.

I haven't listened to A Forest of Stars (yet!) but I love love love D666 and would like to catch Gospel of the Horns too, without having to go see Sodom in November! Silly gig scheduling indeed.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

It is exceptional, and the flow of the music and interaction between instruments stands out more each time you listen to it. It's still almost unbelievable that this is something that I heard on a blind request from the request-a-review thread on Metal Archives. The band members relocated from Alaska to different parts of the country as the album was finished, and it literally came out of nowhere - the only other mention of the band I have heard was from a friend who heard their last album in a similar fashion. Due to being in Alaska, they hardly toured, and their last album was a genre-piece rather than a standout like this. The drummer and frontman have been replying to people talking about the band on the MA forums, so if you want to share your thoughts, those guys appreciate it.

For contrast, this came from the same batch of random promos where I was wholeheartedly thanked for reviews ranging from completely trashing a band to saying that something was good, despite sounding like it was recorded in a submarine.

I don't know whether I'm going to like this or not. Progressive Extreme Metal is either amazing or boring, there is rarely any in between for me, but given the high praise, I'll give it a spin and see what I think.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Anvil and Skeletonwitch shows coming up in my berg. What am I in for?

Skeletonwitch rule live. I'm still not that familiar with the material but they're bound to put on a good show, with a lively atmosphere.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Turk February posted:

So this just showed up in my e-mail:

Why is Broken Hope reuniting?

If you know what's good for you, don't miss Obituary! One of the best bands I saw at Hellfest. Their guitar tone was perfect, and I can't explain how heavy they are live. They're clearly loving it on stage at the moment as well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

SilverSmoke posted:

That's nothing really, I attended Graspop Metal Meeting this year which had Limp Bizkit headlining in favor of Slayer, Megadeth and Motorhead just to name a few..

I don't know why people still bother commenting on festival running orders like this. It's fairly obvious that lineups are ranked by quality or status, but by how many ticket sales they'll generate. Unfortunate as it is, Megadeth, Motorhead and Slayer are not the live bands they used to be, and don't draw the crowds they used to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

On another note entirely, anyone else pretty disappointed with the new Ihsahn album? On my first listen, I thought it was awesome, but on repeated listens it got less and less interesting, and I have no desire to listen to it anymore. This isn't even due to overplaying it, according to Last.fm I have listened to it 5 times all the way through. I enjoyed After a lot more. Anyone else had similar experiences with other albums this year/this album in particular?

«5 »