Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah. I dig his creativity but maybe it was too much sax.

It doesn't help that when I saw him at Hellfest (the weekend before the release) he was a bit disappointing :/ Oh well, there's always going to be a disappointing album, but I thought Sigur Rós had already released my "biggest disappointment of 2012". :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Don't know if this is meant to go in the prog thread, but there's a new BTBAM song and album preorders available HERE and predictably it loving owns. I love the whole space aesthetic that they've got going on this time, and even though I was slightly non plussed by the last EP, the track they've released from this sounds great, and I am very, very excited. I just wish Metal Blade would give the UK/EU those oh so delicious preorder packages. The shipping fees are really horrible to the UK :(

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Maiden was goddamn amazing tonight.

Colonial Eddie owns.

So Jealous. I can't wait for this tour to make it round to Europe (assuming it will). I think I'm gonna try and do as many dates as possible.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Surprised nobody else posted this, but hey, maybe it's not really filtered through yet: Shrapnel has decided that the London Southern Cross fest date with Assaulter, Hobbs Angel of Death and Gospel of the Horns was his final show with Destroyer 666. Destroyer will continue of course, but he's been an integral part of that band for the past 16 years.

gently caress. Whoever takes up the mantle better have some killer riff writing abilities.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Thanks, didn't notice the video went down.

Here's the second new Sylosis by the way:

Sylosis - A Dying Vine

I liked the second song a lot more. It seemed a lot faster and more interesting. The previous track was sort of midpaced by their standards, and not really good enough to hold my attention. I'm really hoping that Monolith is their best record yet, I want a tighter EotE.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm having a hard time liking the new Faceless album from what I've heard. Planetary Duality really worked for me I think because the songs and parts were much shorter and interesting. There was much less time spent being lofty/presumptuous/epic or however you want to phrase that. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just not what I'm drawn towards.

Is the album streaming anywhere?

No, I had a look for a stream today. There only seem to be album trailers around. I wasn't massively keen on Planetary Duality, but all these BTBAM comparisons floating around have piqued my interest, as they are one of my favourite bands.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

lenitic posted:

Why the gently caress have I only recently started listening to Bathory? This stuff is seriously amazing

Under the Sign of the Black Mark is amazing. Great band. I asked myself exactly the same thing when I listened to them for the first time about a year ago.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

So, we interviewed Erik Danielsson, the singer of Watain. http://www.metalblast.net/2012/08/watain-interview/
He said:

Somehow, I don't think the Absurd t-shirt will still be an issue after this,

By far the best and most insightful Watain interview I've read. This was a great read. He sounds absolutely insane though. I literally have no doubts about his views now, or that they are serious.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Doomriders rules. Anything with Converge members is a good thing.

Anything that Kurt Ballou touches turns to gold. I really can't wait for All We Love We Leave Behind to be released now, and it looks like it is sharing it's release date with the new BTBAM and potentially the new Anaal Nathrakh. Basically on October 9th (10th if you're Stateside) I think my head is going to explode. I'm really looking forward to catching them on their Euro tour though, although the US lineup of Converge/Torche/Kvelertak/Nails seems vastly preferable to me over Converge/Touche Amore/A Storm of Light/The Secret. Also they're playing Koko in London, which I think is the biggest venue I'll have seen a hardcore show in. It's quite a grand venue stylistically as well, so it's going to be really weird, especially for TA, where I get the impression that intimacy is a big part of their live show? Oh well, Converge will bring the riffs, and it will be amazing.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

thepitgoddess posted:

But Napalm Death is SO GOOD live. It'll be fun, I promise! :)

And not that you care, but Barney is really sexy. Just a bonus.

Agreed, Napalm Death are excellent live. When they get announced for fests or whatever, I kind of sigh and think "oh, ND again", but I always see them anyway, and I always have a great time.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Houseplant posted:

Christ, I'll probably get poo poo for this, but am I the only one who thinks Wintersun is just not that great? I mean, they are good, he is good, but it's nothing spectacular.

I feel exactly the same, I keep meaning to give them another go though. Saw them live at Bloodstock last year and still felt pretty unimpressed.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

Before a lot of reissues for the more 'cult' bands, people would pay ridiculous amounts for some albums. I'd try and sell a few Trouble and dISEMBOWELMENT releases I had duplicates of, to try and get my money back ($10), and they'd go for over $50 sometimes. Some cases where you'd see cds reach obscene figures, but you'd usually equate vinyl as the more valuable format though where people paid upwards of the hundreds.

Ancient Pride digi isn't that rare though is it?

I've been desperately trying to get a CD copy of Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom. There are no rips online that work at the moment, but CDs can go for $250, even though it was reissued by Nuclear War Now not that long ago :( I want to hear this black/death classic!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
MDF is one of the few events that 'merica gets that I feel truly jealous of! That lineup looks absolutely stellar so far.

One year I might attempt to go...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just checking out the new Enslaved album now. I had heard some not so great things about it, and thus prepared myself for disappointment, but I am really enjoying this so far. Goddamn, I love this band so much. I loved the clean vocals in their past work and I think they're just as good here. Their catalogue covers such an amazing spectrum of proggy black metal.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I'm with you, album rules really hard. "Death In The Eyes Of Dawn" might be my favorite song this year.

Roots of the Mountain is the clear standout for me so far. Really excited to hear this stuff live. When I saw them touring AED it was amazing, because everyone was totally keen to hear new material. I don't think I've ever seen a band's new album so well received in a live environment.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

To Battle posted:

So a remaster of Deaths Spiritual Healing is being released in the end of November as a 3 disc set. It's probably not going to be as good as the original because they usually never are but I did enjoy the remaster of Human however.

All of the Death reissues have been really good I think. Relapse clearly put a lot of effort in to them. Really nicely presented and they sound great too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

People are going to die at the Baltimore Soundstage

I would do some pretty terrible things to see a barrierless Converge show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Nasum are my favourite grind band. Perfect combination of neck breaking speed and killer grooves. Songs like Inhale/Exhale and Wrath are genuinely catchy. So glad I got to see them twice on their farewell tour.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

muike posted:

Ihsahn still owns sorry.

Yeah I wasn't massively keen on the latest one but After is amazing.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Capilarean posted:

Hope I won't get too many eyerolls on this, but how is King Diamond live lately? I have a chance to see him in a couple of months and I'm getting pretty psyched about it,since I'm a big fan, but what with the big gap he had and all that, I'm afraid I could be disappointed if I set the expectations too high.

I saw him at Hellfest 2012 and he was amazing, you're in for a serious treat.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
As Attic are on Ván Records, and we're talking about traditional sounding metal: Year of the Goat's new album, Angel's Necropolis is streaming over at This Is Not A Scene The single from the album, This Will Be Mine, was great, so I am excited to hear the rest. I love this guy's voice.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

caiman posted:

I don't know much about metal, nor am I familiar with the perceptions and attitudes fans have of the genre. Lately I've been trying to figure out the various sub-genres. I think I'm starting to "get" some of the major ones - that is to say, I can recognize a particular song snippet as falling into its respective category. But I have some questions.

At what level (for lack of a better term) should the genre typically be applied? Meaning, is it the band, the album, or the song that should be prescribed a genre? If a band releases three albums in their career and the first one is death, the second is doom, and the third is black, can the band as a whole be labeled a particular genre? What if one particular album of a particular band shows various styles track to track?

What I'm really getting at is, what are the thoughts from "true metal fans" on bands that cross genres lines? Either album to album, song to song, or even within a given song? Say you're a die hard black metal fan, and the newest album by your favorite band sounds more like death metal than black metal, do you lose respect for that band? Is the "purity" of a band's style typically important to its fans? On the other hand, wouldn't ten albums by a band who doesn't budge an inch in style start to sound mighty repetitive?

Interested to hear thoughts on this.

The "purity" of a band and how fans react to change varies on a case by case basis really. I see wide acceptance of Anathema and Katatonia's change in direction, but many people wishing that Ulver had recorded more black metal. Obviously there are people who think the reverse for both examples though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RHTITE posted:

Good job, nobody, for mentioning Demoncy, Legion Of Doom, or Terrorizer in your end of the year lists!

Demoncy was pretty good but I found Terrorizer to be painfully average. Can't comment on Legion of Doom.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

The Devil's Blood broke up. http://thedevilsblood.com/

The statement from this smug motherfucker is as follows:

"As of the 22nd of January 2013 The Devil´s Blood has returned into nothingness.
All planned Rituals will be cancelled.
No interviews will be done.
Consummatum est.

-SL & F

The Devil’s Blood – 2007 / 2013"

Furthermore, for a little glimpse of this man's smugness and psychosis, his statement when their tour bus driver allegedly stole their money and left them stranded:
"The Devil's Blood hereby declare never-ending and total war upon the following individual; David "Ape" Zoglio.
[...]This little rat scurried off so fast that attempts to find, catch and kill it were immediately unsuccessful.
[...]Also if anyone feels the need to vent any frustration or anger, his phone and email are noted as well...
As for you, David, you little oval office; rest assured that one day we will meet again. A curse upon your house until the day comes that my blade is on your throat.

SL/TDB/A-O"

I met this man once for an interview that, afterwards, he asked us not to publish. He made some comments about a fight for which he was later brought to court. He was proudly "making the system work" for him by living off of welfare (despite being able to work), doing lots of drugs and considering the rest of the world as "cattle".

Honestly, gently caress him

Yeah they/he sounds insane. Good band though, I liked their music. Shame they're no more. I wonder what happened... It's a pretty massive dick move to do it now with all the shows they had booked as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they arrange some sort of "final ritual" lark though. I know bands like this seem to come and go because it is mysterious and stuff, but breaking up like that, without some long winded statement about drifting into the eternal void of total death or something suggests to me it wasn't planned.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Well thread, this discussion came about at the right time. Sitting in one of my lectures the other day, an Amon Amarth riff popped into my head despite not having listened to them for ages, and I decided I wanted to try listening to some melodeath again to see whether I still enjoy it. I think I'll always enjoy Slaughter of the Soul and Heartwork, but the genre definitely seems to be a mixed bag for the most part (although I guess this is true of all genres if you don't know what you're looking for). I was really disappointed with Surtur Rising, and stopped listening to Amon Amarth shortly after, but I kind of hope the new album is good, if only because they were such an important gateway band for me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Nuclear Fetus posted:

You sure don't disappoint. Thanks.

Edit:

Been listening to this lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8po-MN6QlU

Other newer bands that do the old school death metal thing well?

Cruciamentum are great. listen.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
If you ever did want to branch out into growly vocals, Amon Amarth really helped me because they're still pretty melodic. Even though I don't listen to them much anymore, I still love Runes to my Memory.

Now for some stuff you are a bit more likely to actually enjoy:
Grand Magus
Primordial
Keep of Kalessin (newer stuff)
Blind Guardian
Baroness (I can't choose a song to link but if you like Mastodon you'll probably like Baroness. Same goes for Torche).
Lamb of God Always preferred them to Machine Head personally.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

John Magnum posted:

The only Keep of Kalessin I can recommend is their full-length Armada and the EP they did with Attila Csihar and Frost, Reclaim. Their two albums since Armada are... not so good, I think. But I really do like that album and that EP.

I found the newer stuff pretty good when I was getting interested in black metal and the like but wanted something way more accessible than the classics of the genre. They were a great gateway band for me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Rocking out to Grand Magus right now and loving it. This is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for.

Right now my 'listen to' list is:
Grand Magus
Primordial
Keep of Kalessin (newer stuff - Armada)
Blind Guardian
Baroness
Nevermore
Shadows Fall
Toxik
Realm
Infernal Majesty
Morbid Saint
Demolition Hammer
Forbidden
Grim Reaper
Portrait
Speedwolf
Brocas Helm

Other stuff I forgot to mention that I like:
Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
Death Angel (totally can't believe I forgot them!)
Skeletonwitch (I like them despite the growly vocals, so maybe there is hope for me)
Overkill
Testament
Venom
High on Fire

Thanks again for all the friendly recommendations!

High on Fire are the poo poo, can't get enough of them at the moment! Anyways more recs for you based on what you posted:

KVELERTAAAAAAAAAAAK!- If you like Skeletonwitch's vocals you might enjoy Kvelertak too, they're a lot of fun.
MIDNIGHT Similar to Speedwolf, this poo poo rules.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

John Magnum posted:

NP: Origin - "5. Saligia" - [(2011) Entity]
There's a lot of talk about tech-death, can anyone recommend stuff that's specifically like later Origin? Kind of spacey, but still pretty good song structure and awesome riffs. So not Rings of Saturn.

Wormed are cool. They're spacey but a bit more br00tal, and they still have riffs. A lot more listenable than Rings of Saturn (although that's not saying much tbh). Origin are sort of like the exception to the rule for tech death personally, I don't like much of it, but drat, Entity.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've heard of these guys before but hadn't gotten around to checking them out. God drat this owns. I love the mix of the bleak, Deathspell Omega style black metal with that glassy guitar tone and groovy death metal.

After this description I absolutely have to hear it. So far I think my favourite death metal of the year is the new Tribulation record. The weird, proggy twists it makes in songs like Suspiria have me hooked. I still have so much to check out from this year, but from what I have heard, nothing comes close to Tribulation or Light Bearer so far. With a few more spins, Wardruna might be up there. I definitely need to get on the Inter Arma and Intronaut releases. What have people been digging so far this year? My copies of the new Kvelertak and Voices albums should arrive tomorrow. I've been meaning to listen to Voices for ages but the incorrect tagging on spotify stopped me because I am a last.fm obsessive.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I finally got round to listening to Meir and I think it's really good. I think the reviews I've seen so far have been unnecessarily harsh, or put the debut up on some ridiculous pedestal. I like the debut a lot, but I definitely felt like it was top heavy. I'm glad to see Kvelertak deliver on their sophomore album. Bruane Brenn is as good as anything off the s/t IMO.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Radio Paranoia posted:

If you take any metal (or even proto-metal if you're talking about this band Ghost) seriously you're really missing the point. Metal is ridiculous, stupid and a hell of a lot of fun when done right!

I really like the new Ghost. It's different, but a big step forward with regards to sound and influences. I love the more prominent keyboards and the over-the-top ridiculouslness of it rubs me the right way. Highlights are definitely Zombie Queen, Year Zero and Monstrance Clock.

I am so down with Ghost's aesthetic and I think they pull it off perfectly. I can't wait to give the new one a listen, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. I think detractors will remain convinced everything after the demo sucks, but it looks like Ghost are more than just a one trick pony.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Amon Amarth track is pretty good. I liked that better than anything off the last album. I'm actually looking forward to this as they were such a significant gateway band for me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah last time I posted in there regarding this my post got lost quick in a sea of dubstep and hip hop.

This is because egotistical rap/hip-hop makes the best workout music ;)

Although I must admit, Runes To My Memory occasionally sneaks into my playlist.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yes and if your dumbass friends don't want to go (because they suck) then go by yourself.

Seconding this. Absu rule, and will surely put on a great show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Can't believe no one's mentioned that the new loving Antediluvian album came out yesterday.
http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=3165

I'm waiting impatiently for the vinyl release myself ;) So excited for this one.

e: I considered picking up the CD because it is only $7, but $20 shipping to the UK put me right off!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Death album of the loving year right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeurxdwV25o

Was expecting the worst because I don't like the cover art, or how similar their logo is to Entombed, but I guess that is sort of the point.

Oldstench posted:

Sorry dude, you accidentally posted the wrong link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWcSQLKp5s

Definitely need to check this album out properly. They're playing with Dead Congregation at Wolves Throne Festival in France and I am very tempted to go. So far death album of the year for me is Tribulation or Voices, but I haven't heard much death metal yet this year.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Fuckin Hanneman :(

Show No Mercy for me today

They formed in 1990 but never released anything until like 2008 so they get a pass

Ah, fair enough.

Seasons in the Abyss here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

NwahNerevar posted:

Listened to Cobalt's Gin album for the first time in ages, and it's not exactly an album which I've never dug before. Now however, 've realized that it's a sludgy, stoner black metal masterpiece. It's also got the best lyrics in a black metal album ever, as they're about Hemingway (who also appears on the cover).

If you don't need a black metal album to be :black101: all the time, I can't recommend this enough.

Gin is one of the most scouring, angry albums ever IMO. Arsonry is a pure outlet of rage. Cobalt are brilliant.