Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I gotta recommend Cauldron, they've delighted me lately.

Say, anyone have recommendations for recent heavy metal / speed metal bands? Or power metal in that ballpark, stuff like say Enforcer? Also Zuul, etc?

I'll also throw a recommendation for the fun Finland band Battle Beast, cheesy in a great way, great riffs, a band to keep an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Counterpoint: Insomnium Gatherum

Omnium Gatherum and Insomnium supergroup?

And thanks for the recommendations there!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

They're touring with Alestorm, so they're okay in my book!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Running Wild - Whirlwind, Under Jolly Roger, many others!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hey there, any recommendations for recent stuff from the past few years to check out? I feel like I haven't discovered a lot of new bands up my alley lately. Recent ones that come to mind I love are Cauldron, Enforcer, Omnium Gatherum, and Gloryhammer. And I love the classics, Motorhead is my favorite band overall.

So pretty much, heavy metal, speed metal, power metal, thrash, and melodic death metal recommendations! And maybe some folk metal/viking metal in there too. I like a good hook, I'm one of those melodic metal folks, or at least a great thrashy riff a'la Overkill or Megadeth. Domo arigato!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

symbolic posted:

Very wide criteria. For classic heavy metal I recommend Skullfist, White Wizzard, Bullet, and Cellador. For thrash metal there's Lost Society, Gama Bomb, Violator, Hyades, Iron Reagan, Warbringer, and Evile.

Wider is better they say, ideally I get 100 bands recommended to me. I'll check all those out, thanks! I'm a fan of White Wizzard (and their offshoot Holy Grail) and a couple of those bands already too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

symbolic posted:

Yeah White Wizzard is kickass even if they dumped their original vocalist for an inferior one.

Listening to Warbringer's War Without End right now if you want to start there.

I'll be seeing Warbringer in January since they're playing with Enforcer and Cauldron, so this'll be good homework too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love Overkill, I've seen them a few times. First time one of the opening bands for Megadeth, latest time they got to headline, which is nice. They're the best.

And thanks for all the badass recommendations earlier folks!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnLT8Cbpa0

Let the power of Thor wash over you. I've listened to this song so many times since I came across it, that album is pretty fun all around too. His later stuff doesn't have that same kind of fun early 80s swagger to it, but Thor always has charm. Canadian steel! (The music video is also really really funny)

Thor is not for everyone though, but you've got to at least listen to Cauldron, Canada's finest. Saw them live once so far, I'll see them any time they come to my berg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT4d0HuH3GA
(I just checked and my first post in here from 2014 is recommending Cauldron, fitting!)

I saw Powerglove and The Protomen last week by the way, lotta fun, check those cats out.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 22, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nordick posted:

Thor has some really cool songs though. Thunder on the Tundra and Let the Blood Run Red come to mind off-hand.

The though part is confusing, I love Thor. That one you posted is also great in it's own way, but I prefer the sound on Unchained most for him. Anger is like a solo era Dio riff. I love thrash and whatnot as much as the next guy, but I hope the people in this topic also dig the the more groovin/catchy "rock" influenced days of metal as well. That album you posted also has a heavier/more modern version of Anger, but you can't beat the original flavor in my book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nordick posted:

Don't get fooled by the cover of Triumphant in the video, the song is actually something different entirely. :v:

My point was that Thor is a bit of a joke (moreso than metal in general that is), that just doesn't mean he can't also be cool. Hence, "though".

That song is on the Triumphant album, and yep it is wild stuff. Nothing is surprising to find on a Thor album. I could see him doing a team-up with Naked City.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oldstench posted:

"This is a song about war"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"This is a song about goat blood worship"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"This is a song about Satan"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do love when Electric Six says "This song is about the ecstasy of accepting Satan as your master", before they play Hello I See You. For metal, Blind Guardian and Opeth are some of the funnier jokesters live. Welcome to the show and welcome... to dying! My favorite ever is the epic "gently caress you" speech from Joey at Manowar though, really blew me away in High School. Mindblowing stuff, the guy is a poet in my book. There were funny imitations of this speech among my friends for some time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A human heart posted:

Ah, I see you're into some obscure bands

I saw Kreator? Death Angel? Is there some kind of contest going on? I hope your metal day goes ok.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i for one am glad i get to live in a world where the titular zombie from zombie nightmare did a duet with seth putnam

This is the kind of enthusiasm and appreciation for art I like to see!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A human heart posted:

You're just posting like a doofus is all

Good luck figuring it all out, you'll get there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zodijackylite posted:

By far, the best stage presence between songs that I've ever heard was Morgirion. It was a private show, the incense could be smelled from outside, and the other bands said nothing between songs. One of them blasted the fog machine so hard I couldn't see the my hands. Morgirion played very intense and tight black metal, with extensive introductions to each and every song, approximately as such:

"This is a song we wrote 465 years ago, about summoning the ancient ones, about the destruction of false idols, and the vengeance of the damned. It is called.... Breaking... the Law!"

"This is a song about utter disregard for all authority! This is Breaking the Law!"

"This next one, it is a song about hell, a song about purification through fire, it is entitled: Breaking the Law!"

Every song.

That is pretty drat funny, awesome.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm going to see them in 2 weeks and there is 4 bands ( never heard of the 2 - Trailight + Gross Misconduct ). So if that holds, then starting an hour after doors + ~1 hour per band that's 5 hours.

I may see them next month too, they're playing with Hammerfall, Battle Beast, Katatonia, Swallow the Sun, Sabaton and others. Pretty eclectic mixing of metal genres that day.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 25, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MrBling posted:

Listened to this album this morning for the first time in absolute ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_KwiOjCdsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMCcc54w3s

Always forget just how good it is.

Riot is so drat good, I love the first three albums as well, seemed like they should've been a bigger deal.

Agreed on the Alestorm love, they're a lot of fun. Thanks for all the various speed metal / heavy metal / power metal / thrash links I've been enjoying by the way folks! That Mean Street band is so catchy and smooth, beautiful, a bit like vintage Crashdiet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB3UiwAdfec

I dig Sister Sin, glossy yet dirty heavy metal, with a bit of Crue influence. Not into their latest album as much, but that's most bands.

I also love Sister, like Bodom and Crue had a baby? Or something. Shout at the reaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7RUGjgMk88

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Holy poo poo, Sabaton was so much fun! Battle Beast was great too, but Sabaton was nuts.

Awesome! Battle Beast is great. Love that they have a couple songs based on Berserk. Almost went to see them, Sabaton, and Hammerfall last month.

While neither of these bands are in this niche, listening to them on youtube leads you down the symphonic metal niche of recommendations. I love Within Temptation and a like a couple others, but I tried several dozen bands the other day that weren't any good. And likewise, there are a lot of "dirty rawk" bands like Sister Sin that don't have the hooks and riffs that grab me, and needless to say not many power metal bands like Battle Beast are out there at the moment. Them at their best is pretty drat cool, some Dio-esque riffs at times, cool 80s synth, lotta fun.

My point (if I have one), while power metal, Crue-esque sleeze, and various other catchy shiny metal subgenres aren't posted much in here, any that rise above to the top of the pile, I don't want to miss out on them!

Honest question, is there any traction for talking about this sort of metal in here, or would it be better attempted in that hard rock topic in future? I'll always peak in here for the latest thrash recommendations and whatnot.

A lot of subgenres don't seem to get discussed as often in here. How about melodic death metal, anybody still into that? Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium, other omniums? And any good new speed metal bands that are catchy and cool, anything with some Priest or Motorhead influence or whatevers? (Enforcer is the definitive one in recent years for me)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 20, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'll check Bel'akor out, thanks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

When it comes to DT, I'm not exactly lost to apathy! (I'm going to post hell for this one)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the excellent recommendations! This stuff is very much hitting the spot, it's crazy how many great bands there are out there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yep yep, I've dug both those bands, Wuthering Heights more so. I love vintage Elvenking also for power/folk type stuff. Always interested to hear about power metal bands people are digging. I think why bands like Battle Beast stand out for me is because they're power metal / heavy metal, and there's a bit of Judas Priest-esque catchy arena riffage in there and whatnot.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I hadn't heard those, thanks! You're like a laser with these recommendations.

Zodijackylite posted:

If we're just talking Motorhead worship, there's a few bands I've encountered over the years that really try to sound like Motorhead and got the rock-n-roll part of it down.

Gotta worship Motorhead, the best. Tough to compare to them, but I am digging the blazing guitar and whatnot on these, Goethia especially.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agreed there, Horror Show is fun. Enjoying Witchtower from that list above by the way, great stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MikeCrotch posted:

Why is Dystopia such a good album

Is this Dave Mustaine's thing now? Make like 5 lovely-to-mediocre albums in a row, then drop a really good one for maximum surprise factor?

Thirteen is my fav of the past ten years or so from them. Just gets better on each listen for me, really catchy distinctive songs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think I'm gonna go see Destruction and Warbringer tonight unless it sells out at the last minute. Kind of annoyed that Jungle Rot is on in between the two though.

Update: the show was fun as hell even though JR are insanely boring

Great bands! Got to see Warbringer with Enforcer and Cauldron last year. Fun when they mix thrash with heavy/speed metal bands on a lineup.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Randy - The Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRt_e4Bbk94

I could weep this is so good, where has Randy been all my life.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

edit: woops double post, here's some Zuul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QHBbpdV0zA

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 16, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nordick posted:

I feel like you might appreciate this

Thank you, it's like I just got some water! This sounds like it could be on the soundtrack of one of those crazy 80s movies, like Steel Grave/Gow in Dario Argento's Opera.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dimebags Brain posted:

The Beast is such a loving good song. Randy fits in really well with a bunch of other 80s bands that have one really awesome song that loving rips but didn't really do anything else of note like Kraze (Land of Sorcery), Universe (Stories From the Old Days), and Hiroshima (Solider of the World)

I'd say Randy has a few great ones, Shadows Are Falling and Nightmare are really cool, The Beast is the best though. Thanks for the links, shred-tastic!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 18, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zodijackylite posted:

Cirith Ungol, Black Death, Sumerlands, Eternal Champion, Black Magic, Ashbury, and Stone Dagger were also very loving good.

Hot drat, that rocks. That Endless Skies album by Ashbury rules.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love that song, really dig this cover by Seven Witches too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo93IwvqK5E

Overkill's Coverkill album is great too. I see a Motorhead cover compilation album is coming out, which is nice.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Muppets On PCP posted:

e: in other news danzig put out a lovely new video and i was all set to make a hilarious and witty joke about him wearing a danzig skull fanny pack when he goes mall-walking with the other geriatrics but fucker disabled comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EclL-8laqdw

Just caught up on the last bunch of pages, this is one of the better songs posted for me. Your joke idea is good, that should've been the video. I'm intending to see somebody even older soon by the way, Udo Dirkschneider!

I've been enjoying a couple books, Lemmy's autobiography White Line Fever and another Lemmy biography called Lemmy, by Mick Wall. Really good reads, also read some of another Motorhead book at the store. Any other good rock books or biographies? Or could be any music genre, just being metal or offbeat in some way makes for interesting stories.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

the yeti posted:

I'm reading Choosing Death, it's pretty entertaining, not too dense (unlike say, Patterson's Black Metal, which is also good but dense reading) and shortish.

Cool, right on. Book of Death would've been a metal title for it also, lot of options.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I look forward to checking that out, sax is generally welcome for me. Saw Enslaved a few years ago with Amon Amarth, was good. Electric Six rocks live but they don't bring a sax guy for Danger High Voltage, would be icing on the cake I say.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I forgot about the Immolation album released earlier this year. It’s really good catching up with it again. Obviously a grower that I got distracted away from through the summer. Did you guys enjoy it?

Which of those would you suggest grabbing if I wanted to pick one? I need to spend some time reading about Lemmy for sure.

That is a tough question. I'd say go for White Line Fever if picking one, but there may be room for two Lemmy books on your shelf. They compliment each other well, and there's plenty more than 300 pages of great Lemmy material to be had.

Mick Wall's is a harder angle and more "behind the music", while very informative and comprehensive. And does have a lot of great Lemmy quotes. Lemmy's autobiography is more bang for your Lemmy buck though, a bit more laidback, and well more Lemmy. I dig both books but if I gotta vote for the one, White Line Fever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is interesting and kinda cool that Helloween is touring with the two singers. Would be fun to hear Kiske sing Mr. Torture or something, mix it up a bit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's good to see us all talking about feelings in here, good rock talk.

Here's a ballad. Strong men also cry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tydTZvZDq8 (ok it's actually funny, but I love it)

And here's one of the legendary songs, (Take These) Chains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMlVAt-w84

The ballad is a great art, love 'em. Alice Cooper was complaining on the WTF podcast that back in the day essentially you had to have one to get anything played on the radio as a hard rock band. I guess that's a bit of ballad history for ya. I don't know if that's why say Metallica did them, I don't know if Fade to Black got radio play at the time or anything, but it's a fun thing to see on a heavier album.

Lost in the Ozone is a great one by Motorhead too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qChOnZk7es

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 19, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I saw Rob Zombie live one time, was cool, I like the big dancing robot. On samples, first time I saw Curse of Frankenstein I was pleased to hear "Perhaps you had better start from the beginning...", great movie to watch this month folks!

On Japan fun time, I like Onmyouza. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCm7dwe_fc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thumposaurus posted:

Slayer killed it last night in VA.

Hell yeah! Saw them last month, drove up to NH with a buddy, great great show. They've really still got it live.

Here's some new Cauldron, love those guys. Seeing them again next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNKUSaQ7_I