Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gio posted:

what is everyones opinion on the new hellriffer track. imo it rips.

The Nuckelavee, or is there another one?

The Nuckelavee absolutely rips and Hellripper owns in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Noisem - Agony Defined was one of my favorite death/thrash albums last decade and I remember being surprised when I heard a bunch of teenagers wrote it. It's still rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2on5JY5ygI

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

MikeCrotch posted:

What's your favourite Bolt Thrower song

Mine is all of them

At First Light

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nachtmystium are the one whose main guy is a dope fiend who steals from people.

I still love Assassins and listened to it recently. What's happened with Blake Judd just bums me out. What a poo poo situation.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Finally listened to the new Obituary. Always loved their sense of groove and they still got it.

New Hellripper song is great and I honestly didn't mind the new In Flames song, but honestly if I get the itch to listen to In Flames these days I usually just throw on The Jester Race.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

H13 posted:

New Metallica.

I wasn't totally into what they were doing on Death Magnetic or Hardwired (outside of the opening track to Hardwired, which sounds like a Kill 'Em All B-side and kind of rules) but it at least had some energy. The two songs they've released off of 72 Seasons just don't make me feel anything.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ShoogaSlim posted:

buddy of mine sent me this song today and it's giving me heavy napalm death vibes? i'm not super well versed in this style but it just feels aggressive and fast which rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzx-m4Wu2AY

I just threw on this album and...they are trying to mix together groovy sludge metal and grindcore and sometimes it works and sometimes it feels like oil and water.

Like, this is another song on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBO7D9VapM

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is pretty cool

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kvlt! posted:

you could just run a sine wave thru an HM-2 and call it an album and id listen to it tbh

mildly tempted to try this now

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

xzzy posted:

People have spent more to get a square wave I guess.

already have the hm2, I'd mostly be curious (knowing little about practical synthesis but enough to know a sine wave is the most basic/standard waveform that follows a sine equation) if you can hear the hm2's sonic quirks through a synth

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

xzzy posted:

I don't have an hm2 so can't comment on that pedal in specific but I have put lots of basic waves through lots of distortions. You can definitely see unique behaviors of a filter as you crank up the saturation in an oscilloscope.. the curve of the sine wave gets flatter as it clips and eventually looks like a square wave. But there will be a "wiggle" in the line where it shifts from the slope to the clipped portion and I assume the specifics of that artifact will be unique to the design of the circuit.

Can a human hear it? I have my doubts but my ears are garbage so maybe a trained sound engineer could tell the difference.

interesting. There's a blog post by a person that analyzed the HM2 and ran a 200hz sine wave through it while posting various curves, which I remember because I came across it trying to get HM2-esque sounds out of an AxeFX FM3. You get pretty close with an SD1 model as a boost and a comically exaggerated parametric EQ with spikes at 88hz and 1080hz, but the real deal definitely has a different character. I'll take your word for it that it wouldn't be as obvious with a sine wave.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 24, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

new enforced song

HELL yeah. Owns.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Carcass AND Municipal Waste? gently caress yes.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hot date tonight! posted:

Old Nick might have taken it a bit too far with this one, it might be too silly. I was cracking up the whole time though so maybe it's a success.

the banjo-kazooie horn section on elephantry got me

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nordick posted:

Hello this is just your friendly spontaneous Gamma Ray Appreciation Post.

yeah today's going to be a power metal day

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

:yeah:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Omnikin posted:

I don't remember where I picked it up, but when I was in high school I randomly stumbled across Dragonforce and made a station for them on early Pandora, all bangers but a few lasting favorites

This is literally how I got into metal, found the YTMND of the Iron Chef guy eating the pepper set to Fury of the Storm, set a Pandora station for it, started diving. Absolutely jammed Kamelot and Hammerfall then.

Back then Pandora gave a song off of Origin - Echoes of Decimation as like, the third or fourth suggested song for Dragonforce which is so crazy it stuck in my mind to this day. loving hilarious in retrospect.

Favs from my first dives into Pandora are definitely Dark Moor and Falconer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ZFXFQ_ZIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8OaRmEVRCc

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Killingyouguy! posted:

I was really into System of a Down when I was a kid, and of course knew about like Metallica and Iron Maiden from my dad, but dragonforce was also my intro into, like, metal that didn't get played on the radio

Rhapsody was the second power metal band I discovered which was the breaking point of like 'oh this is a whole genre not just a novelty'

I can't do the full on cheesy Rhapsody albums with all the interstitial storytelling and poo poo but the compilations of their bangers like Tales from the Emerald Sword Saga are pretty fun.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Power metal led to Master of Puppets and becoming a thrash fan which led to Death and that was the ballgame.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

deadking posted:

Majesties

this owns and is pretty much what i'd want from a new in flames album so i'm just going to wait for this instead

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I don't particularly think death is very deceiving though

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Always hype for Cattle Decap and this is good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

50 Genuinely Horrible Albums by Brilliant Artists
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/horrible-albums-by-brilliant-artists-1234672895/

St Anger is rightfully on there :lol: I'm actually shocked Lulu isn't.

Putting Pantera's Metal Magic at #4 is kind of a dick move though. They were like 16 and sold 4 tapes of it in Dallas when they started. A lot of these are artists who were well into their musical career.

Somehow I never heard about the Ice-T/Ernie C/Black Sabbath album story and I've got to listen to this now.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Hulk Krogan posted:

Happy new Hellripper day

hell yeah throwing this on now

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Deathlove posted:

beavis voice IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, THE DECEIVEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR

it's good

the last solo on the cursed carrion crown is stellar

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Vulture Culture posted:

yeah, given the black speed moniker, I'm surprised how much Dissection I'm hearing, mostly in the vocals but sometimes also in the guitar

This album's got more Dissection-style melodic black metal and NWOBHM influence than the previous two which were like thirty minutes of pedal to the metal blackened speed/thrash. The more straightforward and short tracks on the album - Goat Vomit Nightmare, Hissing Marches, and Poison Womb - are more like his previous stuff.

James McBain has made some palpable improvements as a song writer, arranger, and player on this album and he's bringing in more influences and it rules.

Excited to listen to the two Ulthar albums today. Also their guitarist/vocalist apparently got diagnosed with throat cancer after recording so he might not ever growl again.

Editing to say these were also absolutely fantastic and some of the best death metal I've listened to this year. Great day for releases.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 17, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Like 90% of the time I find "black/speed" to be a really boring combination after a couple of songs. Should I listen to Hellripper anyway?

You can absolutely listen to the album opener and know if you'll vibe with the rest.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Blasting the new Hellripper a lot and it's growing on me - I thought the first half was a triumph and the second half was okay to good at first and now I'm starting to like the second half some more.

Put me in a mood for some harder death/blackened thrash also so I've come back to old Skeletonwitch and it still rips.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nordick posted:

Doublepost but whatever:

Are you, like me, a huge fan of the stone-cold classic that is Wintersun's self-titled debut? Do you wish there was more of that stuff, maybe with some more blastbeats?

If yes, then listen to this poo poo:

well someone had to write time ii

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

laborious seven minute tracks with three riffs and no energy are pretty much exactly what i dislike about modern metallica

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Riot Bimbo posted:

i didn't think they could write anything like this anymore.

in fact i flatly don't believe they can

gut feeling says somebody trained an ai on their first three/four albums

like something feels off as gently caress about it but it kinda does rock. the lyrics are awful but there are okay songs under it. 80s b-side tier stuff

i would 100% rather listen to escape than that song again

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Riot Bimbo posted:

yeah no, like this isn't great. it's better than what i thought them capable of, which is why it's like "why does this sound off?" but my prediction is the entire album is gonna be a fairly sad pastiche of their prior work

I honestly thought Lux Aeterna was like a Kill 'Em All song with no energy - honestly playing it 30bpm faster would probably help it a lot - but it's not terrible. Pastiche is an apt description there. Hardwired's title track absolutely was wildly energetic and captured that old thrasher energy in a way that Lux does not.

This song sounds like a lot of the Death Magnetic-onward filler songs where they just write a handful of boring riffs with some bends in them, sit on one for a minute and a half in the song, then move onto the next one. I don't think it sounds like a pastiche of the old poo poo so much as their post-Rubin house style for phoning it in - if it sounded like their old poo poo it would at least be potentially good or at the very least weirder than this is.

I also think I've been having the same conversations and thoughts about Metallica for the past 15 years other than being delightfully surprised by how much I liked the title track to Hardwired before being disappointed by the fact the rest of the album was boring.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I don't really like Gothenburg stuff but I do like the album and Obsequiae!

There's a new Enslaved album out too. And the Full of Hell/Primitive Man collab.

absolutely going to listen to all of these

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Riot Bimbo posted:

Kalmah put out a new single that is pretty good.

I thought Palo pretty much sucked, but the song, Haunted By Guilt, is pretty good.

Kalmah are getting up there in years and they hit more often than they miss. pretty reliable for a metal band imo

This was pretty good. I blasted a bunch of early Kalmah when I was in high school but haven't listened to much of their recent stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA12Ll_7pyo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nazzadan posted:

Time for new poo poo because it is Friday

listened to gorod, judiciary, and frozen crown today.

gorod: got exactly what i expected when i played a gorod album: pretty fuckin good tech death.
judiciary: little more on the hardcore side than thrashy. tightly written album, pretty good.
frozen crown: this is my first time listening to frozen crown. if this band existed when i was 16 it would have been one of my favorite bands at the time - rhapsody-esque power metal replacing the goofy interstitials with a wintersun or kalmah-esque melodeath influence in riff-writing is a hell of a concept. i think this is pretty good but i like the pitch way more than the execution here - there are a couple of bangers but most of the tracks are just okay to good.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Pest Control album is really fun if you're in a dumb thrash mood.

i am always in a dumb thrash mood and this is exactly my kind of poo poo so thank you

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

blackbraid is good, so is gorod

metal is good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've already listened to the new acid king like three times, it's incredible

gonna blast ne obliviscaris next looking forward to 10 minute songs with violin shredding

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Fenrir posted:

Fuuuuuck what a good week

and that's just the ones i know from having heard some of the tracks already

this was basically my list past acid king also. stacked week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

new lamp of murmuur is good. it's a stylistic turn away from their lo-fi material into more straightforward immortal-esque bm but they're very good at that.

https://lampofmurmuur.bandcamp.com/album/saturnian-bloodstorm