Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Not sure if any of you guys have heard of them before, but I happened upon a death metal band from NYC called Pyrrhon who self-released an album online earlier this year and are now getting a proper disc release. The full album is streaming online here. I'd never heard of them but saw "Gorguts worship set in NYC subways: hear Pyrrhon's new album here" on the sidebar of a page reviewing the Enslaved/Alcest show in NYC.

Strongly recommended if you like: Ulcerate, Gorguts, Pavor, Deathspell Omega, Immolation, anything else in that vein, or The Red Chord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Non Serviam posted:

If anybody is interested, there's a pretty neat online metal radio called "Snake Metal Radio". http://www.snakenetmetalradio.com/default.asp
I've discovered some artists there, even if they were very well known for the rest of the world (case in point: Nevermore).

Anyway, today Listened to a band called Solfstafir. Pretty drat good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKpvzvmNOI

(bonus points for hilarious fan-made video featuring a buttertroll)

Oh man, Snakenet's still around? Glad to hear it. That's how I initially got much deeper into metal after hearing a few bands (Sentenced, In Flames, Nevermore, Blind Guardian, Children of Bodom) on a CD my friend burned...ten, eleven years ago? Back then, Snake's favorite band was Opeth and he hated Blind Guardian with a fiery passion. I wonder if anything has changed.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

rxcowboy posted:

So I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just got into Death, and I'm pretty much loving every song so far. The trouble is when I try to listen to other newer death metal bands, the vocals are too growly and almost unintelligible, or the music is too slow and droning. Any recommendations on bands that sound like Death?

Side note: loving psyched to see Lamb of God in Jan in DC, anyone else going?

Which era of Death are you listening to? If it's Symbolic/The Sound of Perseverance, then you should check out the band Illogicist. They're about as close as you're going to get to the technical/progressive sound Death had towards the end.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

m-o-o-n posted:

I guess you've never heard Schizophrenia by Sepultura? The toms on it cross straight over into so-awful-it's-cool territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkxaTDbLvo

3:26-3:34 is hilarious, almost sounds like it should be a Scooby-Doo sound effect

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

QPZIL posted:

Inquisition is playing a last minute off-day show at a dive bar near me on Monday :stare:

Holy poo poo, thank you so much for posting this. I live in Cary and will be there for sure...only $5? Brilliant!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Kevin Bacon posted:

Are there any sites or blogs out there that do good reviews for a wide array of genres and bands (barely even heard of to Metallica)?

I find that skimming through reviews has been a good way for me to discover new bands.

My absolute favorite review blog by a long shot is autothrall's From the Dust Returned blog. He and the rest of the staff (Penny Arcade metal forum mods, I guess?) review an average of roughly three albums a day (1131 reviews in 2011, for instance), covering all genres and all years. I've been introduced to dozens of bands I ended up loving, and his yearly top-25 lists have had some real gems I wouldn't have otherwise discovered. Not only that, but it was recently reorganized and the reviews can be broken down by year, score, and genre if you don't want to read through everything.

I honestly can't recommend it enough.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Feast of Burden posted:

On that note, does anybody know where I can find anything similar to Crotchduster? I've been playing their only release NONSTOP for about a week since I found them (or him?), and I'm fiending for whatever this comedy / avant-garde / ??? metal this is.

There's not a whole lot of avant-garde comedy metal to be found, but you could definitely do worse than Carnival in Coal.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Rion.exe posted:

That Entombed song has given me a kick to find more like this. Could anyone recommend me some 'slow' death metal? Bolt Thrower 'slow' is fine, so is Winter slow. Not necessarily death/doom, but yeah... Less goregrind-y, more groovy. :coal:

You might like Sonne Adam.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

nuncle jimbo posted:

Okay so bear with me - listening to a bunch of entombed and carcass and poo poo lately, driving home today the idea of death metal surf rock occurred to me, but then I figured someone out there has done it and I need to know what it sounds like. Any particular bands/albums come to mind?

What QPZIL posted above, and on a sort of similar note (not death metal either, but kinda psychedelic surf black metal/jazz fusion weirdness), you might like Oranssi Pazuzu.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

s0nar posted:

That's a whole lot of bands I don't care about to see Cannibal and Goatwhore.

I dunno, Cerebral Bore are pretty catchy (though they'd probably only be playing for about twenty minutes).

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I've been really getting into Alcest lately (and Neige's other stuff: Old Silver Key, Lantlôs, Amesoeurs)

Can someone suggest similar stuff?

My suggestion's not quite the same kind of stuff, but it is a band that mixes post-rock/atmospheric black metal flawlessly, probably better than any I've ever heard. New band from France - The Great Old Ones.

edit: vvv good call on Mar de Grises, can't believe I forgot about them.

edit2: If you're not aware of them already, you might want to check out Deafheaven.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 8, 2012

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Angist is amazing.
Holy poo poo, you guys, Angist is brutal as gently caress, I've been sitting here going through the songs they've got up on YouTube and goddrat.

Totally agree. I'd never heard of 'em until now, but that first track posted was absolutely killer. Cerebral Bore, while a little more "slam," are catchy as gently caress. Scottish brutal death metal band fronted by an (at the time of this video) 18-year-old from the Netherlands they discovered on Youtube.

And of course there's Darkestrah and Arkona, but those are brought up every time "women in metal" is mentioned.

There's also Tard, whom I believe Necro-tron recommended to me years ago. Pretty good female-fronted grind with one of the best parody album titles I've ever seen - Disgorging Guttural Regurgitations of Dismembered Disembowelment and Effluvious Visceral Entrail Secretions With a Side of Emaciated Malignant Lymphatic Putrescence, a Glass of Ensanguined Malodorous Discharge to Drink, and Coagulated Pustular Rectal Seepage for Dessert (With a Cherry on Top)

edit for badass black metal: Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 11, 2012

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

We're in right now, join up

I can confirm this. More people, please!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Schizotek posted:

NPR? The radio channel with all the classy music and awesome (comparatively to all the other lovely sources of news in america) news? Jazz? Beethoven? News? THAT NPR!?!?!

I know it sounds weird, but NPR has really stepped up their metal coverage lately. In the past year, I can remember them having streaming Agalloch and Worm of Ouroboros concerts, and they had an article about Disma, of all bands, back in March of last year when it was about to be released...with the full album streaming. Also, not that anyone in this thread seems to still care about them, but I believe they were streaming Opeth's new album in its entirety as well.

So, I'm not surprised they're highlighting MDF.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Does that mean we have to redefine Dad Metal?

This can be the new definition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS6TJ3aOIE

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

Has anyone else listened to Bound By Entrails "The Stars Bode You Farewell"? It's progressive extreme metal with roots in black metal, I'd compare it to later Emperor/early Ihsahn and Opeth's early to middle albums. It stands out from a lot of Opeth clones and stagnant extreme prog, it's quite unique IMO and it's just really good music. I listened through the album around 20 times over five weeks and it kept growing on me - it didn't catch on the first time but it grew on me each time - it's my favorite album so far this year. If you want a longer description I wrote a review of it.

The whole album can be [legally] heard here:
http://boundbyentrails.bandcamp.com/

This is loving awesome. Two songs in and I'm enjoying this even more than Ne Obliviscaris. I didn't think anything would unseat Portal of I as my album of the year, but so far, this is on track to do just that.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Compared to this? Sounds to me like it won't exactly be a return to form, but definitely on the right track. Most of the -core is gone (and no breakdown like the horrible one at :14 in that song I linked).

edit: actually, on second listen, I'm actually looking forward to hearing the album. Never thought I'd be able to say that about Cryptopsy again!

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 14, 2012

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking unique voices and sounds in metal, I've been listening to so much Ihsahn, Leprous, ICS Vortex and I need more. How about some other, I guess I'll call it genre defying, metal along those lines?

I can't recommend Winterhorde enough (from Israel). Not quite as genre-defying, but they're absolutely worth listening to. They've got the prog/symphonic black mix almost perfect.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Daedra posted:

Saw the Summer Slaughter tour last night and Goatwhore and Exhumed did awesome. I didn't enjoy most of the other deathcore acts, but it was enjoyable being old metal man watching the hardcore children run into each other from the balcony. The worst part of the night was some pig squealing female fronted band called Cerebral Bore. It was like watching some lame garage band that some relative you hardly know plays in.

Yeah, from what I've seen Cerebral Bore are not the greatest live act in the world. Their studio work is absolutely killer, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWE9YmB8reQ

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

vanov posted:

ITTCT are in fact awesome and reminded me of my love of Red Sparowes, so thank you for that!

I guess there isn't an avant-garde thread, but I need more stuff that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and The Book of Knots. This'll be my last request for a while, my collection just needs an injection of new poo poo.

There really isn't anything that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. You're just not going to find it. That said, there is plenty of quality weird/heavy music out there.

Sebkha Chott (France):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSF_6hXJZ4

miRthkon (California):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LfStA_Jk8

You might like Ihsahn's wife's project Peccatum, too. Not even close to as weird, but it's not the kind of thing that'd normally show up in this thread.

Also Ephel Duath if you're not already aware of them...The Painter's Palette is a fantastic album from start to finish.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

vanov posted:

Just wanted to requote this because I got a chance to listen to it and it's the goddamned truth, this will soothe my SGM/BoK itch quite well and I thank you for that.

The Painter's Palette doesn't sound anything like SGM either, but it's another one of those absolutely unique albums. I believe the lineup at the time was a bunch of prog/metalheads in their early 20s and a 48-year-old jazz drumming instructor. Glad you like it!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Kjorteo posted:

Can anyone point me toward some clean, melodic stuff? I realize I'm pretty much living up to the Flower Metal stereotype here, but man, screw it, I just like my metal to be pretty, is that really so wrong.

Current top albums for me would be Avantasia's Angel of Babylon (all Avantasia is good, but anything from the Wicked Trilogy is especially good,) Symphony X's The Divine Wings of Tragedy and/or V: The New Mythology Suite, Masterplan's Aeronautics, Angra's Holy Land and/or Temple of Shadows, Symfonia's In Paradisum, and absolutely anything by Allen/Lande. Conversely, I get turned off by bands I like for their prettier stuff going too harsh (Helloween's 7 Sinners, most newer Symphony X) though admittedly I do love Blind Guardian. Those guys can be hard and still retain the melodic aspect, as just about anything on At the Edge of Time will attest.

To add to everyone else's suggestions, you might give the following a try:
Pain of Salvation - Entropia, One Hour by the Concrete Lake, The Perfect Element Part I, and Remedy Lane. 12:5 is a live acoustic album with completely rearranged songs that is sonically just plain perfect, and then they put out sort of a pretentious (but good) metal opera album after that called Be. Everything else since then (2004-present) has been tremendously disappointing. Pain of Salvation is more straight-up prog, rather than "powerprog" (the mixture of power metal and progressive metal that you obviously prefer), but they're so drat excellent there's no reason to not at least give them a chance.
Redemption - This Mortal Coil (Ray Alder of Fates Warning's other band, might be a little on the dark end of what you'd like)
Anything Arjen Lucassen has collaborated with other artists on, specifically Ayreon and Star One
Ark - Burn the Sun (I assume you've heard this already since it's Jorn Lande)
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By the Stars
both Myrath albums (the first ever metal band from Tunisia signed to a label, lyrics in English and Arabic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9V-AxS2kao

And by the way, I totally agree with you. Those are the two best Symphony X albums by a mile.

edit: poo poo, forgot Lost Horizon. Cheesy as hell, but I'll be damned if the Highlander song isn't unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 6, 2012

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Nordick posted:

Lost Horizon - Daniel Heiman who left in 2004 is a goddamn vocal GOD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

In a post filled with many Youtube links, I would just like to single this one out as absolutely essential listening. Truly one of the finest power metal songs ever.

Also, Corvinus, good call on Galneryus. Yama-B is gone but their replacement is one hell of a singer too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kok6O577jgI

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

I agree with you but these days Vulture Industries are doing it better than Arcturus ever did and they even have a Garm soundalike on vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-JROaVpSU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Other newer bands that do the old school death metal thing well?
Disma (look at that album cover!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D6CEjkmzFI

Not a new band, but a new album...Incantation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLcBjkOSjY0

Morbider (formed in '92, didn't release an album until '09)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pz6UD3ZAtA

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

The best technical death metal is surely Beyond Creation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MkJtI3FvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BluvF_ozYJs

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Solid recommendations, but I would add Dark Quarterer. They're an underappreciated Italian band who've been around since the mid '70s, released a masterpiece of an album in 1987 (with horrible production), and just re-recorded it for the 25th anniversary. Keep in mind, the singer is 59 years old on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yslnrLazl_8

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

NTT posted:

Whoever linked Beyond Creation, thanks, their bassist is incredible.

You bet! And yeah, he is a monster. If you haven't heard his previous band (and now current band again hooray) Augury, you should. They're a lot more..."progressive" rather than "technical," but excellent stuff too. I swear, 90% of the world's quality technical death metal comes from Quebec. He's not quite as firmly at the forefront in the mix as he is for Beyond Creation, but his skills are still showcased (particularly in the intro to this song:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_NsAKNeao

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

NTT posted:

My mind is blown that there is literally nowhere to buy a digital download of Beyond Creations "The Aura". :psyduck:

Amazon doesn't have it, iTunes doesn't have it, CDBaby doesn't have it, hell, they don't even have an official site to buy it from (although I DID find a merch store that sold a physical copy that I wasn't interested in buying over the internet).

They just signed to Season of Mist in the past couple days, so "The Aura" is going to be re-released with a bonus track...wait a couple months!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Metal-Archives just posted this band Children on Facebook and they're absolutely fantastic. I'd never even heard of them...excellent thrash/prog from NYC, only released one album and then broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_vxUjmXbfk

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Someone posted this in the Workout Music thread in YLLS. Definitely reminds me of early Children of Bodom, if anyone's still a fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3cfYtoEG70

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

IRQ posted:

Wasn't Myrath just straight up Symphony X worship?

Yeah, pretty much. They're the only signed metal band from Tunisia, though, which is cool. I like the occasional Arabic choruses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9V-AxS2kao

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've heard of these guys before but hadn't gotten around to checking them out. God drat this owns. I love the mix of the bleak, Deathspell Omega style black metal with that glassy guitar tone and groovy death metal.

It almost sounds like a new Immolation track, but one that they produced after listening to too much Ulcerate. Either way, I just listened to it six times in a row.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 26, 2013

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Houseplant posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes you dislike it so much? I don't see it as being very "black metal" in the traditional sense. Their first two albums were definitely moreso, but I just can't see Armada as being *that* incredibly bad. To each his own, I'm just curious if there's something I missed. That seems like it's always the album people mention when they think of KoK.

I'm not going to rag on Keep of Kalessin at all because I also love Armada (though they've gone downhill since then for sure), but I'm just wondering if you're familiar with the band Nidingr. Their latest album Greatest of Deceivers sounds a hell of a lot like it, and even the vocals are similar. This is the only song from that album on Youtube but it's a pretty decent representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqURdlAAd8M

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Coulrophobia posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations on good female-fronted metal bands that don't fall under the Nightwishy weewoo operatic umbrella? Not that there's anything wrong with that style, but it exists in spades and I'm trying to find a little variation.

List is comprised of, so far: Doro (naturally), Crystal Viper, A Sound of Thunder, Vandroya, Madder Mortem, Huntress, Stolen Babies, Sinergy, Triosphere, Mastercastle, and Crucified Barbara. Anything else I should take a look at? Keep in mind I haven't listened to all of those yet so I don't know how hit and miss of a list it is.

Djerv (hard rock band with a very strong black metal influence)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIIXD7yUPQ

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

DOOP posted:

So what is the best :sax:-metal out there? There's the Shining from above and Diablo Swing Orchestra of course. Anything else cool?

Not quite in the same vein, but you might like the German jazz/prog-metal band Panzerballett (much more well-known in prog circles than anywhere else). They've done some pretty awesome :airquote: covers :airquote: in addition to their originals.

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGzkEw2uKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7w85EmjMlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVyrOeQbNA

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Doctor Teeth posted:

I can't stop listening to Kvist's For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike. What are some other bands that sound like them? Melodic black metal I guess is what this is called.
Thanks.

You would probably like ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ by Arckanum. The last Taake album, Noregs Vaapen, was pretty melodic too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPrhxc5zuM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKH1ByiMV88

And one of the best melodic black metal albums of all time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_q_F9ubwE

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

himajinga posted:

I'm trying to expand my horizons, is this the place I should be for metal recommendations based on what I already like? If not I can move this post wherever is appropriate.

I really like the following:

Nachtmystium - Instinct:Decay/Eulogy IV (but don't really like their newer "rock" albums)
Fall of the Bastards
Tragedy
Weakling
Ludicra

Even though they might sound sorta disparate, I think they share a common thread compositionally but I have a hard time putting it into words. Kinda black-metal-y (with Tragedy being the exception), more melodic, sorta epic with songs that progress in movements but not insanely proggy 25 minute opuses, some combination of d-beat/crusty and blast beats with more punk/metal drumming.

I like lots of other metal as well but I feel like this sort of thing is a common thread in what I like but I don't have a name for it which makes seeking it out difficult. I find myself checking out anything I come across labeled black metal or crust punk which is fine, but the signal to noise ratio has always been fairly low with that approach.

Something tells me you would absolutely love Castevet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-50jZQYSOuM

Maybe Krallice too since you are a Weakling fan, though that might be pushing it a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

Goddamn the new Castevet track rules...this is going to be even better than Mounds of Ash.
https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorerecords/castevet-as-fathomed-by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

I know people have probably been raving about it enough already but daaaaaamn the Grave Miasma album is awesome. I find that the older I get, the more I'm interested in bands that play music that's comprised of more that one subgenre (black/doom, prog/death, doom/death/black, and death/doom in particular) and these guys don't disappoint in the slightest. As a big fan of Incantation and some of the current bands carrying on/expanding on their influence (Disma specifically), this is near-perfection. The vocals are something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxht_NzTd8I