Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BSchlang posted:

I'm both nervous and pretty excited to hear how the Lou Reed/Metallica album "Lulu" turns out. My immediate fear was that Metallica would try to scale back and be more hard-rocky and we'd end up with another Load, but they seem really excited about it. Since it seems like they're almost embarrassed to remember their Load / Reload / St. Anger days (they pretty much never play any of those songs live), I have to hope it'll be metal.

If nothing else, it's a really interesting concept.

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/index.php

Wanting Metallica to come out with a good album is like wanting hook back up with an ex that's been cheating on you for years. For 20 long years they've put out nothing but garbage. Even if they did come out with something "good", who cares about those poo poo bags? There are plenty more metal fish in the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I really like three songs from Endgame, and the rest are good and listenable, though not great. I have high hopes for the new album, and I think each Megadeth album after Risk has been increasingly good. Who knows though, maybe I'm a fangirl or something

I'm curious to know what other people's all time charts look like. This is from 3 years of mine:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Grand Belial's Key sounds like it should be a tropical vacation destination.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Man I wish there were a good place to buy metal hoodies online. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a plain hoodie and sewing a back patch on it.

Relapse Records has a ton of good merch. At MDF they always have one of the best booths and I always end up spending a ton of money on them. I've order from them online a couple times and had no problems. Their poo poo is good quality and AFAIK it's all licensed.

Also Hell's Headbangers is pretty awesome too. They're a little more underground and a great place for merch. I've bought a ton of poo poo from them and I have some friends that probably spend $1000 on poo poo from them over the course of a year. No complaints. I got a pretty bad rear end Beherit hoodie from them last year which I wear when it's cold enough out.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Not to hate on merchchat but I don't really get buying shirts online. I only get 'em at shows. I figure it's kind of like a medal, like "Yeah, I've seen them". If you're wearing a shirt you ordered online, it's not saying anything other than "This is a band I like" which, who cares? At least with the show-bought shirt you have a story to go with it.

I agree with what thepitgoddess said, but I do have one exception. I won't buy tour/fest shirts unless I was at the said tour/fest. That just seems silly.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The only time I've seen it above $40 was at the Heaven and Hell show (Dio Black Sabbath) and last time I saw Maiden. Both were arena shows. At shows for a shirt I think $15 is a good deal, $20 about normal, $25 is a little steep and if it's $30+ it better be something other than a tshirt.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I get more compliments than anything when I wear shirts out. Every time that happens we end up BSing about shows and albums and poo poo. It's like a secret brotherhood.

Sometimes you run into dumbasses too. I remember I was checking out at Publix wearing a Corpse shirt and the cashier said "Awesome Corpse shirt, do you like Of Mice and Men too?" I was like "uhh the book? Never read it."

As for work, when I worked on the space shuttle I'd have a few that I'd wear. I stayed away from wearing anything super blasphemous or violent (didn't want to get called into HR).

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Speaking of bootleg shirts, I just stumbled across this:

http://tshirtslayer.com/item/worst-bootleg-metal-shirts-ever

These are all amazing.

That's awesome, there should be a whole blog dedicated to that. Weirdest one I've seen was a Sadistik Exekution shirt my friend bought. On the front it it was the SE band logo and some image and on the back it had a Nifelheim logo and image. It's like you could reverse the shirt depending on what band you wanted to show. Makes no sense.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

So I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just got into Death, and I'm pretty much loving every song so far. The trouble is when I try to listen to other newer death metal bands, the vocals are too growly and almost unintelligible, or the music is too slow and droning. Any recommendations on bands that sound like Death?

Side note: loving psyched to see Lamb of God in Jan in DC, anyone else going?

Possessed has similar vocals is pretty loving awesome.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Why isn't there a black metal friday sale?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I hear more poo poo about the anniversary of Dime's death than I do 9-11 every year.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

When I think of keys in metal the first band that comes to mind is Nocturnus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNy6MuqrMQ

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

I just ordered my Death to All tickets for Orlando! I saw that people were having problems with the Orlando link, so it can be found here: http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/109141?__utma=1.2117175078.1333145226.1333145226.1333145226.1

I'm half temped to drive down there for the weekend.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Looks like they had a thing on NPR about Maryland Deathfest http://www.npr.org/2012/05/22/153207267/its-gonna-get-sweaty-maryland-deathfest-preview

I like NPR and I love metal but I don't think the two go together. NPR is too serious and metal isn't.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

TheForgotton posted:

It is pretty much terrible from start to finish. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dkKCZ_Flw

The new Lonewolf album does RW better than they have in a long time but I'm not crazy about their singer.

Over 30 years and 15 albums and this is the first one that sucks. For a track record like that I can forgive them. I just hope I get to see them live before the call it quits for real.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I've pimped these guys out before, but I'm going to do it again because I just introduced someone to them and their only full length is easily in my top 10 death metal albums (and possibly metal in general) of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R4xq9mgssY

Perfect 90's death metal, although I think their label hindered their success and they ended up putting out an amazing EP, and then disappearing forever.

Awesome, gonna pick up this album.

Non Serviam posted:

Manowar's new album, The Lord of Steel was released today... and promptly put online.

Tracklist:
01. The Lord Of Steel 04:07
02. Manowarriors 04:46
03. Born In A Grave 05:47
04. Righteous Glory 06:10
05. Touch The Sky 03:49
06. Black List 06:58
07. Expendable 03:10
08. El Gringo 04:57
09. Annihilation 04:00
10. Hail, Kill And Die 03:56

Just gave it a listen, it's a no brainer purchase.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That's pretty awesome. It's also sad that in some town in an African country I couldn't pick out on a map, they have a bigger metal scene than my town.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If you're looking for something good to listen to on your iPod or whatever, Hell's Headbangers puts out a very good podcast called Hellcast. It's not just all HHB bands or just death/black but it's a good mix of underground stuff you may or may not have heard before (even including some power metal). The guy doing the DJing, Reaper, knows his poo poo and adds some good insight to the music. Also, each show usually usually includes an interview where the guest will also pick out a few of their favorite tracks. You really couldn't ask for a better metal show. The only bad thing is, if you're like me, you'll end up buying a couple albums after each episode.

The podcast started about a year ago and Reaper was putting out episodes on a regular basis. For whatever reason the show has been on hiatus for 2012. The good news is that they put a new episode last week and are promising to keep it coming on a regular basis.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Offensive things on metal shirts... why I never...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I'm reviewing the upcoming Korpiklaani album and, well, it's nothing special. While it isn't a bad album, it's not a particularly interesting thing to listen.

Here's the first single : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwo6bMKBaw

And here's the very awkward English version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSwF3igT-Q

When it comes to music, don't ever trust a white guy with dreads. Or anything for that matter.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 8, 2012

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

nomapple posted:

If you know what's good for you, don't miss Obituary! One of the best bands I saw at Hellfest. Their guitar tone was perfect, and I can't explain how heavy they are live. They're clearly loving it on stage at the moment as well.

Obituary is the AC/DC of metal; all their songs sound the same. Their show is cool for about 10 minutes.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Chalupa Joe posted:

I find that with recent Megadeth too. I can listen to Peace Sells, RIP and Countdown to Extinction and enjoy them, but the newer stuff gets played once, I'll think "this seems pretty cool" but later on not have any interest in listening to it again.

That's all the Megadeth anyone ever needs. I don't get people who try hard to like newer stuff by bands that haven't made a good album in 20 years.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

MDF XI 2013

VENOM (UK) - Exclusive US headlining show.
CARCASS (UK) - Exclusive US show.
MANILLA ROAD
RIGHTEOUS PIGS - Exclusive US reunion show.
PENTAGRAM
ANTAEUS (France) - Exclusive US show.
INTEGRITY
CONVULSE (Finland) - Exclusive US show.
AOSOTH (France) - Exclusive US show.
PELICAN
MIDNIGHT
!TOOH! (Czech Republic) - Exclusive US show.
MORGION
KOMMANDANT
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)

Manilla Road :swoon:

I was very jealous of Manilla Road being there until I found out they are playing at MDF. That's a great lineup, minus Agalloch, who are boring. I fell asleep during their set at MDF.

I go every year regardless but last year I wasn't too excited about the lineup. This next year looks like it's off to a pretty drat good start. I'm glad they're breaking their unwritten no power/trad heavy metal rule by bring Manilla Road in.

With that rule now broken I think it'd be bad rear end if they could get King Diamond and Running Wild for next year. Both just got back to touring this year after a long hiatus and would be awesome for MDF.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The only time politics and metal works is with Gwar.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

There is a free Earache: Twenty Five Years compilation album on Amazon right now. Has a few good songs on it.

quote:

1. Seige of Power Napalm Death
2. Suffocation Morbid Angel
3. When Life Has Ceased Entombed
4. Goblin Shark Natur
5. Into the Dead Sky At The Gates
6. Spheres of Madness Decapitated
7. Deny the Cross Hour of 13
8. Homage for Satan Deicide
9. Thrasher Evile
10. Enslaved By Propaganda Terrorizer
11. Like Rats Godflesh
12. The Victorious Reign Hate Eternal
13. High Roller White Wizzard
14. All or Nothing Cauldron
15. Denial of Existence Brutal Truth
16. Inhuman Affliction Oceano
17. Soul Sacrifice Cathedral
18. Bad Year Iron Monkey
19. Leave Me Here Cult Of Luna
20. Mangled Post Burial Cerebral Bore
21. Cenotaph Bolt Thrower
22. Shepherds of Rot Bonded By Blood
23. Holy Mountain Sleep
24. Hollow Ground The Haunted
25. Bloodlust The Browning

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's like Sirius metal station fodder.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wyzt posted:

I sold my copy of the first Acid Witch cd on ebay for somewhere between 110-130 dollars a few months ago, that poo poo ain't even old.

drat, how much do you think a witchtanic LP would go for?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'll be there too. Look for the guy wearing camo shorts with docs on. I will probably be drinking beer.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Yes! This is easily the best thing Razorback Records has released since the Ghoul, Hooded Menace and Acid Witch days.

Tombstones has been growing on me too when ever it pops up on shuffle. Reminds me of the Horror of the Zombies Impetigo album. Plus it has the best song intros ever.

I'll check out that Howling album.

Wyzt posted:

Year four for me! I know theres a few goons I see every year but I don't really remember their forum names anymore...

Yeah I feel like I know you and Rich better outside of SA (this is Ryan btw). I'll be going again as always.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Only meth heads still use portable CD players.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sweet, Sat night show in SC. I'll be there

Also, in other news, Hells Headbangers has an infomercial out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogC54-Q7XeA

I thought it was pretty funny.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It does sound different. It's not an AC/DC or Deep Purple Cover.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Does Ghost even qualify as metal? This poo poo sounds like Alt Rock vocals pasted over The Munsters theme song.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wyzt posted:

Anytime someone talks about Ghost I just tell them to listen to Jess and the Ancient Ones instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgWxb1bXkE

Interesting note is the guy guitarist is the guy from Demilich

I just got their first album and I"m really digging it. Reminds me a little bit of Slingblade which I also like a lot.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mETqQjkuKhU

This was released recently and it is awesome.

I'm liking it too. Gonna pick up the album on payday.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

JamesWestfall posted:

I'm amazed that this is free, are the beers like 30 bucks?

Also do you guys get band shirts from any site in particular or just the labels/bands?

Hells Headbangers is awesome.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Not sure if people still consider Deftones metal, but Chino Moreno just posted that Chi Cheng passed away today. Sad, I had hoped he was going to recover after his accident.

It boggles my goddamn mind how anyone thinks they're anything close to metal.

It reminds me of talking to my dumb broad neighbor from my old apartment. I'd go outside to smoke and sometimes she'd be out there smoking too. She'd ask me about my shirt and I'd say it's some metal band. Then she'd tell me she's into "dark metal" (WTF is that?) and tell me about how awesome flyleaf is. "Uhh that's cool I guess, I gotta go back inside".

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yes dumbasses come in both sexes. It's true.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Listening to Aeon while running makes you feel like you're marching in Satan's Army.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't have the patience to watch this drivel for 2 minutes let alone an hour and a half. I wish someone would make a highlights clip.

Also I don't get why he still obsesses over Metallica when he got kicked out almost 30 years ago. He's probably just pissed that he doesn't have the kinda money they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

Just bought my GwarBQ (http://gwarbq.com/) ticket. I'm super stoked. Is anyone else going?

What should I expect?

I bet you quit your job just to go to GwarBQ :v:

I was hoping to go too but I have to save up for a car and have to limit my road trips for the next couple months.