Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I didn't see anyone mention it in the last few pages but the lead guitarist from Allegaeon and the bassist and drummer from Havok are in a fusion band and they slap extremely loving hard:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mljzdsULV8T-IZoqQlHQZohdXf7AEzroE

Full album drops tomorrow and I'm super stoked. I can never have too much Nick Schendzielos in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

I was looking up reviews of the Outer Heaven album and found this on Pitchfork: “a minute into album highlight “Rotting Stone/D.M.T.,” sublimely cheesy harmonized twin guitars soar like F-150s over a county fair” and I can’t tell if that’s creative writing or a typo.

Looks like them Duke boys got themselves in a whole heap of trouble again...

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

hey metal thread. is there any metal fronted by huge fat dudes who sing falsetto and make weird 80s girl squeaks like cyndi lauper and dale bozzio?

You mean like other than Steel Panther?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while and just learned there's two Gloryhammers now?

whatever I'll take it

New singer sucks, throw in with Angus IMO

Also Chris and the boys being transparent pieces of poo poo helps make it a pretty easy call.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

as a sword dork the giant "crossguard" on his sword sucks

This you?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

And I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, so I can
See the light that's right before my eyes

Had that stuck in my head since looking up the photo above and I hope I can inflict it on someone else

Joke's on you, now I'm listening to the Arsis cover and you've accidentally brought me joy.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Other bands play! Manowar kill!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

is there a metal band whose conceit is that all the members are demon cooks and dishwashers and wait staff in satan's restaurant?

Best I can do is At the Plates, sorry.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

Ulthima's album from a couple years ago is probably my favorite Bodom-esque release of the last while though.

You could have told me this was some sort of early 2000's Kalmah/Norther/CoB supergroup and I would have absolutely believed you. Massive They Will Return/Something Wild vibes.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nordick posted:

Pretty sure they were married at some point, even.

Sinergy never really clicked with me fully, but the opening track of their last album whips insanely loving hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_IsxJEZ5HI

Shame that Goss quit the business afterwards, she had some great pipes.

I've always loved this song, the riffs and melodies are just absolute peak Alexi.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Malaria posted:

Childen of Bodom and Opeth are how I got into the more extreme metal.

"Ghost of Perdition" is what got my partner into metal and now six months later it's all Allegaeon, First Fragment, and Archspire. It sure is a slippery slope.

Also at the very first orchestra hit of Follow the Reaper she said "I'm in" and I knew I picked a winner.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

what do metal people have on their pedal boards? is there a certain knockoff of a 50 year old chinsy transistor distortion that instantly turns any input signal into metal? is it all eq and compression and distortion? I'm not hearing a ton of reverb or delay or rotary speaker simulation.

wait though. is there dub thrash metal?

I scrapped my pedalboard when I stopped gigging, I do everything with VSTs straight into my DAW. There are some really great free amp/cab sims out there with some fantastic high-gain sounds. Blue Cat and ML Soundlab's Amped are both great starting points.

Comedy option: Boss MetalZone pedal.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Metal Archives is really dumb about djent and metalcore.

They have been adamant for years that Protest the Hero is not in any way, shape, or form a metal band and therefore has not earned a spot on the pantheon, but here check out all these ambient pagan post-black metal folk acts that are just birdsong, a lute, and an 80's synth pad.

That being said, their "Similar Artists" page is a loving godsend, I've found so many great bands there.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

Sure, but not since what, the 70s?

Also,

I have conducted a investigation and discovered that Ragbroder is quite possibly the most Finnish band in the world.

Athena is kinda neat, the Ska vibes are nicely integrated with some phrygian modes and rhythmic devices that make it feel a little bit middle-eastern. Also getting Estradasphere/Zorn vibes from some of the chord progressions/melodies.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 16, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I unapologetically like Streetlight Manifesto. Bomb the Music Industry! are also great but their best stuff is probably their least ska-ish.

Streetlight Manifesto fucks so goddamn hard, Somewhere in the Between is just wall-to-wall bangers.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

How can you not like Meshuggah, the greatest band in the universe.

It becomes super easy once you notice that (outside of Tomas Haake) they are sinfully loving boring.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Sleep is boring too, amirite

Unironically yes. Also I saw Dio live and I am rubbing it in your face, he was great.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yes, Dio was the best :'(

Most my friends saw him once Solo or even twice with Heaven and Hell I just happened to miss both chances.

I missed Motorhead too, twice, which wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't know they played Going to Brazil the second time. That's not something you miss.

I saw them back in '03. Motorhead opened, then Dio, then Maiden. It was a great time all around, but Dio absolutely stole the show. Dude's pipes were just insane.

Live music talk: First Fragment just announced that they're playing a little hole-in-the wall in Philly in November, so I'm super loving stoked about that. Gonna be my first metal show in years.

Currently debating whether or not to check out Ne Obliviscaris/Beyond Creation/The Omnific in a couple weeks. The Omnific fucks super hard, but BC never quite clicked for me (even back when Forest was on bass) and my experiences with NE were pretty similar.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Philly seems to get lots of good shows, I kinda wanna move there.

They get so many good shows and there are so many awesome venues. World Cafe Live is dope if you want to sit and chill and generally be an old fart, Johnny Brenda's has the awesome two-floor setup, and there's always something happening at First Uni or Kung-fu Necktie. Plus every major arena tour stops there. I lived there for five years, the music scene was awesome.

I'm actually driving up from Baltimore because we don't get any of the good East Coast tours here.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

It took an embarrassingly long time for this to click, well played.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

The ones I have have 3 different valve sets depending on how much volume there'll be. I think Im just gonna use the "smaller" ones

Are they the Alpine ones? I just grabbed a set and they're comfy af and them seem pretty good at preserving fidelity, but I haven't tried them at an actual show yet.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Price is on point.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

I just cant do it man. Granted I dont work in a loud environment nor am in a rehearsing band. I probably go to 15-20 live performances a year to see stuff I like. I'm probably gonna use them when I go to stuff I'm not really excited about

Lol what a preposterous hill to die on

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

I have 20€ Alpine earplugs, also this is not a bit I will go and see a ear doctor about this

So I've been playing around with mine quite a bit (loud music, slapping the bass, cranking the television, even sleeping in them because they're comfy af) and the clarity has been pretty fantastic across the spectrum. If you're missing out on midrange and treble frequencies with these things in your hearing is well and truly hosed. Definitely see an audiologist, but probably don't expect good news. Sorry dude.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Gonna make my farts sound like Wynton Marsalis

This probably isn't the best candidate for a new thread title, but goddamn if it isn't the most beautiful, evocative combination of words I've read all week.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

New music Friday time

Stortegn, melodic blackened death

This loving rips, holy poo poo. Absolute must-listen if you're into proggy song structures, fat as hell bass tones, and constant genre-bending.

Sincere thanks to Nazz for always bringing the goods. Every weekend my partner and I put on headphones and go through your list together and it legit enriches our lives. You're the loving best. :glomp:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

andy larocque is loving incredible

Love his solo on "Cold" by AtG. Dude has always had immaculate phrasing and technique.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Miguel Prado posted:

Maybe goons are all over Hällas already, and maybe this is the wrong thread, but if not:

https://youtu.be/olPqj8J1EBU?si=NnIGw0Wz4nVCETWN

Fun stuff, but that's definitely one for the Prog thread.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Great suggestion, thanks.

Maybe any bands that are doing that kind of stuff now? I know what you're saying it is pretty generic but for some reason I just enjoy that riff! I love that era of Maiden, my friend's band Eliminator have channelled it:

https://youtu.be/e4f2Uq_YWjU?si=zgoeoC0AtK0BGJtK

It sounds like you're really vibing with the thick, layered harmonies. Definitely check out the aforementioned loving Champs, three and four part harmonies are their main aesthetic. I think you'd also like Brendan Small's Galaktikon, it's peppered with big fat Brian May-style harmonies throughout.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Well Played Mauer posted:

Nothin' against the growls/screams but I prefer the vocals that have more of a punk-with-notes sound.

You should probably check out Municipal Waste as soon as possible.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have been doing my dead mom's taxes and the revenue agency keeps coming back saying we owe more and more money even though we keep paying off the balance they themselves cite

https://youtu.be/mHXjMOmCpfA?si=X9V8sBm_4SaTktBo

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've been real busy with obnoxious medical poo poo that's kept me from following releases as much as I'd like to the past six or so months.

Anything really cool drop in the following vibes?
Slam
Tech-death
Brutal death
Avant garde
Trad or like retro nwobhm

I liked the new Stillbirth and more recently, the new Xoth is fun.

The new Stortregn is my favorite thing that's been posted here, sort of a progressive melodic blackened sometimes techy vibe that just ticks all the boxes for me. New Dying Fetus is fine if you're into Dying Fetus, but it's nothing special imo. New Afterbirth is bizarre af and didn't click for me but is absolutely worth a listen. Also everyone says the new Wormhole is great but I haven't checked it out because they've never really done it for me. Also heard good things about Nightmarer but haven't checked it out for similar reasons.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

who is ready for rap metal to happen again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqjr5Sn4kV4

Why is it always the worst parts of metal and the worst parts of rap?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

gently caress me I'm loving old.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The best euro-pm band was actually Twilightning, but nobody noticed them because they picked the literal worst loving band name in the history of recorded music. Delirium Veil loving slaps front to back, though.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Thanks Nazz, we loving love you. Will report back after headphone time.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nordick posted:

And that's a drat shame because musically speaking Sonata have a lot of real bangers in their discography.

Mind sharing your favorites? I've bounced off of Sonata Arctica half a dozen times but they're so well-loved I feel like I must be missing something.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

"My forty year old Warhammer band is cooler than your thirty year old D&D band." :lol:

Appreciate the recs everyone, but it does indeed sound as though Sonata Arctica (not Unlike Bolt Thrower) just isn't for me. I'll stick with Bodom, Kalmah, and Wintersun for my keyboard-drenched neoclassical Finnish metal for now. Thanks again, though, y'all are the goddamn best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nordick posted:

Give Ulthima a spin, it's some really really solid Bodom/Kalmah/Norther worship (On that note, listen to Norther, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1krjknjEClI

Getting some Mors Principium Est vibes too, I can definitely gently caress with this.