Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sup metal thread, been lurking or passing through here for years and years, never bothered posting much as I was not into finding new music as much then. Lately I've been on a revival of sorts after going to a bunch of shows again for the first time in years. Over the past few years I ahve gotten really into folk metal, and with the thread seeming to be on the topic for the last few weeks, figured now was a good time to get some recommendations.

I really like Eluvietie, Ensiferum, Wintersun, and got into Arkona afer seeing them live with Turisas, amazing loving show. Korpiklanni is cool but never really got me hooked. Tyr also is pretty badass. I think I saw Elvenking mentioned in here a few pages back and am going to check them out. Are there any other quality bands similar to Ensiferum/Wintersun out there? Bonus points for good female lead singers, since I always enjoy that kind of voice in metal.

On the Mayhemfest topic, I just saw Maiden on the 18th and Mayhem on the 22nd, so it was a good week. Slayer, Anthrax, and Motorhead are still awesome live, and I embarassed myself by still remembering all of the words to stuff by Slipknot made before 2004.

Also I thought it would be a great idea to join in the Slayer pit on the lawn on a hill, almost hosed my knee up bad, alcohol is a hell of a drug. I blame booze for singing along to Slipknot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Daedra posted:

How the hell did you miss Finntroll?

Oops, Finntroll is great and I really like them too, forgot them. I'm not completely uneducated haha.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

I was gonna go to the Ft.Lauderdale show today, but it starts at 2pm. What kind of loving rear end in a top hat organized that? 2pm? People don't have jobs? Not ever metal fan works at Jamba Juice.

Employed people are not exactly the largest segment of the concert going metal fanbase.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thepitgoddess posted:

Absolutely. I just pound my knuckles into the ground all day and sneak into all the shows because I can't afford the $10-15 door price.

e- Even though Summer Slaughter's target audience is definitely younger and much less likely to be employed full time. (Seriously, in Tampa I felt like an old fart when I went to redeem my beer tickets because everyone else could only get Coke.)
Sadly the economy really hit the Detroit metal scene hard. Shows at Harpos that used to have 2000+ people at them now barely get 1000, and lots of bands that used to go there are heading to the 500 person Blondies instead. People seem to not be able to afford 20 buck shows now.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Not Very Metal posted:

Also people don't want to get stabbed if they go to Harpo's which isn't helping the turnout either. Now bands are booking places the Magic Stick/Majestic/St. Andrews, which hold even less. It's like a big poo poo whirlpool that we can't escape.
Harpos is the safest it has ever been. They have had metal detectors since dime got shot, armed security in the lot, and they no longer let 18 year kids in the back stairway for half price with glass bottles of jack daniels. Btw being 18 and going to Harpos owned in 2002.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Roasted Donut posted:

Also here's a cool new sports center commercial that is relevant here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHZZ5bwASU

I have that slayer shirt, only with sleeves.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Just saw the Slayer farewell tour in Detroit. God drat what a loving show.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have never listened to Ghost and I don't intend to start now.

Woah

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

getting stabbed by Varg

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

https://www.blogto.com/music/2018/05/man-swims-budweiser-stage-after-getting-kicked-out-slayer-show/

this dude whips rear end

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

fuckin champion

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Omnikin posted:

Should I spend $20 on a seated ticket for Slayer

I can't imagine not being GA

stubhub GA tickets

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ghost owns you loving babies lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Agreed on all counts.

Christofer Johnsson is extremely creative and talented, and also a complete weirdo sperglord. He runs the band with an iron fist, fires people almost randomly, truly deeply believes in dark magick or whatever, and is an active member of the nationalist (=anti-muslim) party Sverigedemokraterna, yet claims to not be racist because they have an immigrant bus driver where he lives, and he's quite nice.

Then again, Chuck Shuldiner ran Death with an iron fist and hired/fired people seemingly at random, and everybody adored/adores him.

So I dunno. Artists are weirdos, it's some kind of cosmic constant. And you need a strong personality to be a frontman for a succesful band. Witness the hubbub concerning Tobias Forge. Brilliant artist, very likely an rear end in a top hat.

Chrigel from Eluvietie is the same way. He seems to run the band as a tyrant, however he also does a giant amount of the actual composition and has let the other vocalists shine constantly so hes not just like greedily hoarding the creative work. It's his baby and hes not going to change. Whenever I've met him at a show he's always been a super nice dude. Hell Bob Ross was called a tyrant, not cause he was mean, but because he knew what he wanted and was not interested in changing it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Eluvietie may be up there now after replacing half the band again in 2015 or whenever the 3 that make up Cellar Darling left.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

God damnit Vinnie and Phil you stubborn idiots. gently caress this sucks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pantera is literally why I'm a metal fan and no matter how loving stupid they all acted afterwards, it'll always be my favorite band deep down.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Negrostrike posted:

AFAIK it was Phil who was willing to reunite and Vincent was all like "no loving way".

Anyway, RIP. He was a hell of a drummer.

Phil tried to make amends, even after being banned from Dimebags funeral. afaik vinne never denied it or called him a liar about that. Vinne was extremely bitter and never let it go and Phil is a loving rear end in a top hat so I'm certain he was not helping.

A tiny part of me had still hoped we would someday ysee Pantera songs played again with other guitarists like some other memorial shows have done.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

been listening to the entire discography again for the first time in a long time and its real good and i remember how loving dope Pantera was

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Korpiklaani and Arkona coming back to North America, woot!!

god dammit now i have to figure out how to get to chicago on nov 5th in time for that show

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

this loving owns

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

loving metal people need to stop dying, loving hell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

You do not have to think alestorm is good to have fun at an alestorm show. It's a silly band that acts silly and it's fun.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A human heart posted:

You do not have to think playing with blocks is good to have fun at the playcenter. It's a silly place that acts silly and it's fun.

Lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So apparently the lead singer of Huntress killed her self today? gently caress.

The gently caress is going on in 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Kins posted:

Probably didn't help, to be fair.
So they claim. I doubt it'll stick.

Eh, they way they said goodbye after the show I was at was way different than any other slayer show I've seen. Tom wandered around the stage for like 5 full minutes just soaking it in and waving at people and poo poo. Definitely made it feel genuine.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

remember pissing razors, the band wit ha frontman who literally just tried to be phil anselmo to a pathetic degree

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The fact that mainstream rock is basically dead but new metal bands full of teenagers show up constantly loving owns

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I'm 34 and still go into mosh pits like an idiot its fun as hell

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

power metal is so fuckin dorky that you can't help but love it sometimes

man, im old and i don't hate my dad anymore. i love dorky af power metal and silly folk metal. i still listen to death metal every now and then, and groove metal will always own, but gimme the lyrics about nothing important and goofy instruments any day.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

i like nihilistic themes where they're about "nothing is important"

the title track of the next dragonforce album

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i'm 34. I turned 14 in 1998. I had Pantera and Slipknot stickers on my rear windshield. I will never fully escape nu metal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t hate on Slipknot at all, it just feels wrong considering how important they were to me when that self titled album got into my hands when I was 9 or 10.

yep, i still remember the day Iowa released, i went and bought it from best buy, put it in my car, and the into played and i was like "oh god no" and literally as i pulled out of the lot the riff to people = poo poo started and i had this giant smile on my face the rest of the day.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pantera was my first true favorite metal band and they are loving great. I 100% get them not being your thing, but people who say they are terrible just come off as a fart huffing snobs.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i'll take tough guy over edgy most times, and that's my issue with a lot of death metal. i listen to it , i've got my incantation and cannibal corpse and poo poo in my collection but i can only take so many songs about murder death kill

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I saw them on that same tour someone upthread did with Slayer and I think Soulfly as well. It was a dope show.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Today on the Jason Ellis show on sirius they played a game where they had to guess if lines were from a five finger death punch song or a pro wrestling promo. It was pretty goddamn hard and also funny cause goddamn they suck rear end.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Don't know how I missed this, but if you like '80's speed metal, check it out now:
https://blackvipermetal.bandcamp.com/album/hellions-of-fire

Also that album cover owns.

hot drat this is my loving poo poo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just watched Heavy Trip, its been a while since I've seen a film made by people who love metal this much. It's 99% Finnish (subbed) but well worth your 90ish minutes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7220754/videoplayer/vi1247918873

The 7 times hyphenated genre joke alone just sold me haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

gonna see ensiferum and septicflesh tonight