Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PimgcBIc90I

Preview snippets from the new Opeth album. I'm...really hesitant about this one. A couple of those tracks sound okay, but the rest are pretty meh. Hopefully these poor quality samples aren't indicative of the whole album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Rion.exe posted:

Could anyone recommend where I should start digging for getting into thrash? I've been listening to Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch and would like to find more like this. As these suggest, I dig the blackened thrash thing, and anything that has the same kind of rock the gently caress out feel to it like the newer Darkthrone releases, Kvelertak, etc. Aura Noir are pretty cool.

I like:

Send More Paramedics
Lich King
Artillery
Havok
Destruction

I know enough about the bigger names like Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica etc. Past these, I've heard a bit of those like Exodus, Testament, Kreator, Overkill, but don't really know where to start with all this.

Help? :)

Hexen is pretty awesome, they might be right up your alley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5tTA0LE5I

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Edit: :staredog: David Fricke of Rolling Stone heard at least two of the songs from the project in June 2011—"Pumping Blood" and "Mistress Dread"—and described their sound as a "raging union of [Reed's] 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets."[9]

I think Metallica must get some kind of pass from the music press - I remember lots of positive poo poo from people who'd gotten previews of St. Anger not long before it came out, too.

edit: oh my god this album is so loving bad

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 20, 2011

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Aww poo poo yes it's coming to Richmond. My band actually opened for Deafheaven the last time they came to RVA, so I can verify that they own as well.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

The metal band I'm in just signed with Grimoire Records in Baltimore and our debut album is coming out in a couple of weeks. You can listen to the first track here: http://grimoirerecords.bandcamp.com/album/americanus

We're proggy death, sort of like Mastodon with harsher vocals.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Trees and Squids posted:

I'm just glad this thread isn't like the prog rock thread where 99% of the discussion is about bands that haven't been relevant for 40 years

To be fair, that's pretty much prog in a nutshell.

The other 1% is arguing over whether Steven Wilson's newest album is good or not.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Congrats to the Bearstorm guy that posts here, Nocleansinging gave you guys quite a write-up

That's me! Thanks, we're super stoked.

Whole album is up on NCS now, btw. Something for everyone - there's Maiden-esque thrashing all over 'DeSoto' and the second half of 'Glacial Relic II' is full-on Baroness worship.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2015/06/25/an-ncs-album-premiere-bearstorm-americanus/

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Scrambles posted:

saw Vattnet Viskar yesterday and their bassist was wearing a sleeveless Ghost shirt

We just opened for those guys a couple weeks ago and I was blown the gently caress away. Way better than the headliner (The Atlas Moth), who aren't my cup of tea.

Their bassist wore an X-Files T-shirt and was super friendly :3:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I've mentioned it a couple times, but I'm in Bearstorm - we're a proggy death metal band from Richmond, VA. You can listen to our album here

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I'm at work and can't listen to it, someone tell me how hilariously cheesy the new Dream Theater song is:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6851509/dream-theater-moment-of-betrayal-song-premiere-the-astonishing-album

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I highly recommend listening to the new Dream Theater album while reading about the songs on the website. I have never laughed this hard at music before.

The story is so ridiculous, but the music is so bland. I think I actually preferred having twenty-minute long songs about Tuscany and Portnoy's absurd growl vocals to this.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

guys, this wine got an 88% on Wine Spectator

wink wink

I listened to most of the first disc of the new Dream Theater album on my lunch break. The only song that stuck out for me was Lord Naferyus (lol) because it sounded like a literal Disney villain's song. Everything just sort of has the same 'piano/strings - narration over clean riffs - chugga chugga - solo - string outro' structure, to the point where all the songs are basically interchangable. And that page explaining the songs is just unforgivably bad. It reads like the summary of a dystopian YA novel written by a 12-year old.

DT has somehow become the most embarrassing band I liked when I was a teenager, even with Anselmo being a literal Nazi

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah, the way we handle racism in this country is weird. You can be racist as gently caress for years and years and no one cares, you just can't be openly racist. Like that rich fucker who lost his basketball team: he was racist as hell when it came to his tenants in the apartment complexes he owned, his hiring decisions, the way he treated players, etc. No one didn't know that guy was a racist. But nobody cared - what got him in trouble was saying racist things out loud when being recorded.

This isn't really a discussion for the metal thread though.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Phil also has a lot of connections within the metal world due to both his past work and his production stuff. If you're a metal-specific journalist ripping him could piss off a lot of bands.

Yeah, dude has a lot of friends in the metal community and ties with a bunch of different labels, most of whom would probably side with him over some random journalist. If someone was writing about this and didn't have a video to back it up, I have no doubt their career the metal industry would be toast.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

A human heart posted:

are you guys really throwing around the phrase "career in the metal industry"

yeah? *shrug*

I don't think anyone writing for Blabbermouth or MetalSucks is really breaking the bank, but what else are you going to call it

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

A TURGID FATSO posted:

There are tons of first-and-second handed accounts of him portraying his racial allegiances in the past during multiple live performances across the world. If it were only one or two people saying those things, then, yeah, I'd meet it with skepticism, too, but there are dozens of stories like this. It is only now that we have audio and video proof at our fingertips...

This is kind of what I was saying, though. Nobody gave a poo poo that Anselmo was racist until he was caught on camera being racist.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Chromatic posted:

We all do and say stupid poo poo when we are young. For instance, I once thought Iced Earth was a good band and bought several of their albums.

You're not the only one :negative:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I listened to Killswitch Engage. #metalconfessions

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

If anybody's going to be in RVA tonight, my band Bearstorm is opening for goddamn ABSU on the first night of their tour. Come up to me and say something goony and I'll give you a CD or a shirt or whatever, I'm the dude in glasses and an Opeth shirt.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

So, uh, definitely go see Absu if they come to your city. Goddamn.

Here's a slightly-blurry picture of the front and back of the setlist (yes, the setlist was so long it covered BOTH sides of the page!):

http://imgur.com/a/Lc7IX

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I had never seen them live before - does Proscriptor usually come out from behind the drum set, or is that new? Because they got some other guy to drum and he was upfront the entire second half of that set.

Dude has an insanely commanding stage presence, btw - doing all sorts of occult signs and poo poo in the middle of songs. At one point during Stone of Destiny he just stood there and glared at the audience for like forty seconds and it was incredibly intense.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

TheSteelCurtain posted:

A doomy song about Cthulhu

This is my favorite so far. Haven't had a chance to listen to the album in full yet, though, just a couple tracks.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

This is loving great and now I'm bummed I missed these guys when they came here back in April.

edit: "You People" loving SLAYS.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 17, 2016

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Vattnet (formerly Vattnet Viskar) released the single from their new album. It's terrible. Im upset that the band that made the awesome Settler is dead.

https://vattnet.bandcamp.com/

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

This album is the most metallica-ish thing that isn't actually Metallica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4KJc0xths

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

The new Gruesome is exactly what I needed. Hell yes.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

That sucks about Absu. Anecdotal, but when my lovely death metal band opened for them a few years ago, their guitarist was the only one who actually acknowledged the opening bands existed and was friendly to them. If they have broken up, I'm glad I got to see them at least once.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I'm not sure when it happened, but Mgla's discography is finally on Spotify and Apple Music. Rocking out to Exercises in Futility right now.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

They're named after an item in Bloodborne that opens up a hellish labyrinth full of mutated monsters. And some of their songs ("Abysswalker", "Clockwise Metamorphosis") are named after poo poo from those games.

Still the least cringy video game-themed band by a country mile, though.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Tau Cross just got dropped from their label for thanking a Holocaust denier in the liner notes of the upcoming album:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/relaps...mmVxm0IDKRe2I4Y

Between this and the news about Vektor, it’s been a rough few weeks.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

remigious posted:

I won’t keep y’all in suspense, it’s Nemo :)

How dare you ruin this derail before we could all get our jokes in. Nemo's a fine name, although I assume 99% of people think you named your kid after the Disney fish.

Marko's press release is kinda rambly, but you can feel the frustration with 2020 running through it. I'm assuming a lot of musicians are at the breaking point right now, especially with it looking like big live music isn't coming back in 2021. I hope he gets the help he needs; he's always been one of the most fun parts of Nightwish.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

I too heard dream theatre in high school but only this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUHik5u7r8M

I saw them with Opeth in like 2008 and they played a version of this as an intermission between their sets, lol.

Ninja edit: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-QGtEIHc3g. They know their audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Nanowar is apparently switching from being a cheesy power metal parody band to being a cheesy pop band? I'm not sure; this could legitimately be a bit I don't understand.

https://www.nanowar.it/nanowar-changes/