Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
If you like Blaze Bayley-era Iron Maiden, even only a little bit, go see him while he is doing his American tour right now. I saw him recently on a whim and was blown away by how much he gets into the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I've discovered Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol recently. It is a shame they didn't get more attention when they were pumping out classic albums. Any recommendations for other mid-80s non-thrash metal that was underrated?

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

fappenmeister posted:

:words:

Thanks for the recommendations, most of these sound fairly promising. I actually recently got that Attacker album solely on how horrible that album cover is.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Gils posted:

So to continue this, if I like the last 5 albums by Amon Amarth what other sorts of music should I get into. I don't really listen to any other growling bands, but something about them just clicks 100% with me. I'm otherwise a huge fan of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, which aren't exactly the same sort of music.

Aesthetically, no, but musically Amon Amarth's later ablums are very similar to Judas Priest. I'd checkout other melodic/NWOBHMish death metal bands like later Death, later Unleashed, and later Carcass. You might also want to check out some power metal more that uses heavier vocals side like 3 Inches of Blood or Ensiferum.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

BSchlang posted:

Anyone else think it's weird to see someone play death metal on a Stratocaster?
That dude looks like he should be playing a cover of "Born to be Wild"

But yeah, I loved None So Vile and liked Whisper Supremacy, and it sounds like I'm not missing much from the rest of their collection.

Their first album, Blasphemy Made Flesh, is essential death metal too.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New Testament is great, but tapers off a little toward the end. The Powerslave cover owns too.

Their Powerslave cover is awesome but it would have been better still if they recorded it with Chuck Billy 15 years ago. His range is kind of limited now for an Iron Maiden cover.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Drifter287 posted:

I had the same realization about Dark Saga. I think half the songs on that album go into the chorus with no vocals after the first verse. There are probably things like that on every Iced Earth album, aside from the absurd over-use of palm-muted triplets.

On a similar note, Something Wicked This Way Comes always rubbed me the wrong way whenever I listened to it all the way through. Then I realized its tracklist consistently alternates between a thrash song followed by a ballad song. It is like Schaffer took two EPs and just mashed them together.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Morbid Florist posted:

SoCal people, most likely an incredibly stupid question here. My job is sending me to Santa Ana this week, most likely wednesday into thursday. Yes, one whole day. I'm scrambling to find ONE thing to make this idiotic nightmare worth not killing myself before, trying to find SOMETHING to do that night. I know nothing about what's in that area besides disneyland and strip malls. Are there any shows going on this week around there?

I need a reason to not cause a scene at the airport checkpoint and get put in jail to avoid this trip.

I used to live near there a couple of years ago and it is one of the most unmetal places in the country. The Galaxy Theater used to have a few good shows but it looks like they closed down earlier this year. Your best bet is probably to drive up to LA, if you have a car. Otherwise, you should resign yourself to a bottle of whiskey and blast Slayer in your hotel room.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Thingstropolis posted:

Oh yeah, From the Fjords is totally an underrated classic. That band really nails the whole epic/progressive thing of having lots of distinct cool sections yet the songs never come across as "stitchy" or anything since it's all in service of the song as a whole. What gets me though is that all those transitions between sections come off so naturally. Anyway, my personal favorite from them is the title track on that album.

To me, that album always seemed like it was half pure-amazing, way-ahead-of-its-time songs and the other half were goofy and out of place (like RARZ).

Also, I've always enjoyed this cover of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujdcLsm0JEs

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Zodijackylite posted:

This song is exceptional, an epic in its own right without overdoing anything. Manilla Road are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EAR5-cQOL0

I just started to get into their later albums and I was surprised how much they are like their 80s albums (in quality and production). It is like Mark Shelton simply went into a coma during the 90s, woke up, and started writing records again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97yvlTOrgfQ

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

MrBling posted:

Cowboys from Hell is a fine album, but it is hardly influential. That was the extent of my point.

Maybe not in today's metal scene but there was a whole mess of "groove metal" in the 90s that took a hell of a lot from it.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Deceiver of the Gods is pretty good. I think I need a few more listens to fully decide. It's no where near With Oden On Our Sides.

Hel is corny as gently caress.

They should have just done a Candlemass cover and got it out of their system.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It is indeed a pretty cool extra, makes a nice change from the usual making-of DVD or live footage. I'm 99% sure that it's not Johan on Satan Rising though, I think it could be Messiah Marcolin again.

Here's the tracks in question:

Burning Anvil of Steel
Satan Rising
Snake Eyes
Stand Up to go Down

Am I right in thinking it's ACDC, Sabbath, Motorhead, and Priest, in that order?

The first one is definitely Manowar. The second one might be Black Sabbath or Candlemass but that is sort of splitting hairs.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Aubergine Mage posted:

Eric looks terrible, but he's still one of the best singers around. Don't know how he's managed to keep his voice healthy after doing this so long.

I've seen quite a few "old man" metal singers perform live, and Eric Adams was the only one that actually sounded he could still sing everything he used to without sounding flat.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

darthzeta88 posted:

Why do Metal bands , once go mainstream tend to forget what people mostly enjoyed and gave money for? Do I blame the record companies? Or do they literally just change over time to what the radio plays?

I think it's just the default to follow trends once you lose the initial spark that caused you to get into music/become a band. I don't think it's a problem unique to metal, but art in general.

Think about it, if you are an artist who has said all he wanted to say, the band is still your livelihood. You've invested a good part of your life into it. Not many people are willing just to outright quit after all of that. You still need some direction to continue, following trends is just the path of least resistance.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
How can it be bad with a title like "Tree of Suffocating Souls"? It's probably the most Celtic Frost-y song Tom has done since the mid-80s.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've heard the opposite actually, from fans who saw them live and said they were really sloppy live.

Usually in July I'd be visiting either Toronto or Boston but not this year :I

My general impression was that they were just boring live. They have zero stage presence and most of the band outside of Haughm felt like hired guns.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I enjoyed them. I had never really listened to them much before I saw them open for Destruction earlier this year, and I was impressed by their live performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I preferred Open the Gates when I first started listening to them.