Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

From Earth posted:

Are the signals smaller than they used to be? With regular signals, the actual light part of the signals if like half a pixel, they're very hard to see.

Yes, they are. You can fix this by going into the data/sprites directory and deleting the set of sprites for the signals. (The number is like 1415 or something)

:siren:

ATTENTION: DOING THIS WILL GET YOUR COMPANY RESET. :argh:

Not many people do this cheap rear end abuse of station spread. It's hinted at someone who's name starts with V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Someone being a jerk before a reset, this time in reverse...

also extra Vier is a slut town!

http://imgur.com/f4BcY

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Vier is a slut was a good 10 million spent.

edit: oh jesus what is my avatar

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

auzdark posted:

Someone being a jerk before a reset, this time in reverse...

:golfclap: creative at least.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
can I suggest the FIRS industry set? it's got more industries like ECS but no stockpiling.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

So yes could we please not have shared tracks?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Vier posted:

So yes could we please not have shared tracks?

What's the problem with them?

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Sam. posted:

What's the problem with them?

People rolling single trains onto your track and stopping them :(

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

less than three posted:

3. I <3 copy/paste. I made one good 3 way junction earlier when bored now I don't have to ever do it again. Plus it looks cool when it's pasting.
Is there some kind of special trick to this? I've created a couple templates with it, but every time I try to load a template in my game I CTD.

If I create a new map I can load templates fine, and even use those templates in my "current" game if I quit and reload it. I've tried scouring the openttd forums, but even google search is failing to yield anything as far as what to avoid doing that triggers a crash.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Vier posted:

People rolling single trains onto your track and stopping them :(

Is there any way to control what tracks you share?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sam. posted:

Is there any way to control what tracks you share?

No

but, other people can only get on to your tracks when you leave space for them, since a tile can only be owned by one person so to get on to someone else's tracks you have to build a track on a tile next to a tile they own and have it running in to their track, basically only when you make room for them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

less than three posted:

:siren:

ATTENTION: DOING THIS WILL GET YOUR COMPANY RESET. :argh:

Not many people do this cheap rear end abuse of station spread. It's hinted at someone who's name starts with V.

Vier was deleted on the current game for doing this poo poo after I explicitly said not to.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 5, 2011

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

When did you say that!
e. ohh I just noticed your post

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

Three, upgrade your trains already, you are slowing everyone down.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The server is perma-paused and we can't do anything help us lessthanthree I'm scared :(

edit: CRISIS AVERTED although could you replace Dutch Trams with CS Trams? CS Trams has the real life capacities so there will actually be a reason to use them.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 5, 2011

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm playing openTTD for the first time, and a couple of questions came up after a couple of hours of putzing around:

1. How do I force trains to only travel one way on a loop? I've had problems with trains switching directions once they get to a station and load up with cargo.

2. What's the best way to negotiate multiple trains coming/going between two stations? Thanks to the signals tutorial in the OP I was able to come up with stations that behave themselves, but it's the part in between that has my trains occasionally heading back to the depot to make way for another train on the same rail.

3. What do I do with goods delivered to/"produced at" a goods depot (I say "produced at" because it looks like lumber from the saw mill makes it to the depot and then becomes "goods")? I've figured out how, for example, get cargo from the forest to the sawmill to the cargo depot, but once there I have no idea what to do with it - when I click on the depot to see its status, I just see "goods" accumulating with nowhere for them to go.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

1. Signals, with two rails and signals blocking 1 direction from travel.
2. Highway style of tracks with signals to control what side.
3. I think goods can be delivered to a city with a shopping mall.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

I think I broke the server with a programmable signal :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

3. What do I do with goods delivered to/"produced at" a goods depot (I say "produced at" because it looks like lumber from the saw mill makes it to the depot and then becomes "goods")? I've figured out how, for example, get cargo from the forest to the sawmill to the cargo depot, but once there I have no idea what to do with it - when I click on the depot to see its status, I just see "goods" accumulating with nowhere for them to go.

If you're ever wondering where a cargo comes from/goes to, click the 'Display Chain' button when you're viewing the industry.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dred_furst posted:

I think I broke the server with a programmable signal :(

It's back up now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips, guys, I'm sure I'll have to practice some before it all starts to make sense.

less than three posted:

If you're ever wondering where a cargo comes from/goes to, click the 'Display Chain' button when you're viewing the industry.
I found the "Display Chain" button pretty early on, but I can't figure out how you deliver to "Houses" - is it enough that a depot is within the city borders that the goods will make it to "Houses" automatically?

Is there something I'm missing in getting the 32bpp pack enabled in the download packs in the OP? I enabled it in the NewGRF Settings menu, but no matter what I try I'm stuck with the regular graphics and zoom levels. It looks like GRF's won't load into existing games, so I created a new map and made sure the GRF's loaded, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Karthe posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys, I'm sure I'll have to practice some before it all starts to make sense.

I found the "Display Chain" button pretty early on, but I can't figure out how you deliver to "Houses" - is it enough that a depot is within the city borders that the goods will make it to "Houses" automatically?

When placing a station it will tell you what it can accept and what it gives I think. Turn on the coverage area tickbox to see it better.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

Is there something I'm missing in getting the 32bpp pack enabled in the download packs in the OP? I enabled it in the NewGRF Settings menu, but no matter what I try I'm stuck with the regular graphics and zoom levels. It looks like GRF's won't load into existing games, so I created a new map and made sure the GRF's loaded, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Houses means towns. You know you're close enough when it says "Accepts: Goods" when you're placing the station.

The 32bpp extra zoom was basically abandoned a while ago, so you won't get that feature unless you go back to an older version.

Also the conversion to 32bpp is nowhere near complete. (Or even 50%) so at most you'll get new signals and roads, factory and power plant.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I think I see what's going on - the truck station is probably generating mail that I could send over via truck/train to another station that accepts mail. That seems kinda silly, but then again I probably shouldn't over think a game like this.

And that's a bummer about the 32bpp pack being abandoned. Are there any up-to-date, goon-recommended mods for making the game easier on the eyes in larger resolutions?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

I think I see what's going on - the truck station is probably generating mail that I could send over via truck/train to another station that accepts mail. That seems kinda silly, but then again I probably shouldn't over think a game like this.

And that's a bummer about the 32bpp pack being abandoned. Are there any up-to-date, goon-recommended mods for making the game easier on the eyes in larger resolutions?

OpenGFX+ Big GUI GRF.

Also in openttd.cfg, go to the [Misc] section and replace these lines with what I've pasted here.

small_font =
medium_font = Calibri
large_font = Calibri
small_size = 10
medium_size = 20
large_size = 20
small_aa = true
medium_aa = true
large_aa = true

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

less than three posted:

OpenGFX+ Big GUI GRF.

Also in openttd.cfg, go to the [Misc] section and replace these lines with what I've pasted here.

small_font =
medium_font = Calibri
large_font = Calibri
small_size = 10
medium_size = 20
large_size = 20
small_aa = true
medium_aa = true
large_aa = true

Ohhhh thanks, I could've used this years ago. Btw you also need a 32bpp blitter set for the text aa to work.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Any of you guys playing vanilla? I don't really like over encumbering the game with stuff aside from a few simple grfs (stolen trees, city buildings etc)

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
It's pretty close to vanillia at the moment, just with shared networks, extra busses and expenses jacked up.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Backing up whoever said getting this to compile under os x was a pain. gently caress this poo poo, I just wanna play with trains.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

headlor posted:

Backing up whoever said getting this to compile under os x was a pain. gently caress this poo poo, I just wanna play with trains.

We just can't build an easily distributable version of it. If you come to IRC I can help you get it built.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

So.. how hard would it be to make a war mod..

Transporting troops / supplies to the front lines or weapons to defend towns etc?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Have you been keeping the maps from the end of games still lessthanthree? We spoke about them ingame recently but I think I was disconnected and then distracted by a passing butterfly or something and forgot about it again. Would be interesting to see what networks were going etc, or even save games if they are still kicking around anywhere?

Did you handmake the map in the latest reset?

If you want a few $$ towards hosting just shout up, I've played it more in the last few weeks than I played any of the last few mmo's I subbed to!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

headlor posted:

It's not actually that hard to compile if you're just doing it for yourself. Download XCode and all the developer tools, get liblzma from macports and comment out lines 312 and 313 from src/something/video/cocoa/fullscreen.mm and it should build fine.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

SwimNurd posted:

We just can't build an easily distributable version of it. If you come to IRC I can help you get it built.

You guys are passing --enable-static or something to configure right?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

crazysim posted:

You guys are passing --enable-static or something to configure right?

There seem to be problems compiling it statically on OS X that are stopping us from doing that.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
*logs in to check how things are running*

Hmm, the station UI is showing a lot of tram stations full of cargo?! I wonder why that is, I have plenty of trams running arou...

You monster.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

lessthanthree did that to me, it's the downside of running anything road-based - even if you build the road, anyone else can drop rail tiles on it and take ownership of it. Really kind of ridiculous.

Also, someone needs to put this train into a newGRF, and figure out how to make any crashes involving it destroy eight tiles of surrounding vehicles / rails / buildings / whatever.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
lessthanthree, I'm coding a NewGRF and it seems pretty straightforward, only got a train in game thus far though. If you need an extra pair of hands for anything I could donate some of my ~precious time~ to the cause (as long as you are using NML because I'm not spending ages hex editing).

Lol I've spent more time programming for the game than playing it I think

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

IOwnCalculus posted:

lessthanthree did that to me, it's the downside of running anything road-based - even if you build the road, anyone else can drop rail tiles on it and take ownership of it. Really kind of ridiculous.

Also, someone needs to put this train into a newGRF, and figure out how to make any crashes involving it destroy eight tiles of surrounding vehicles / rails / buildings / whatever.

I'm looking at my old GRF stuff and I could add that in sometime soon...

The default+ pack is actually in the online repository at the moment and adds a few trains in the overlapping eras, which is always nice for those of us lazy rail upgraders :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I also offer my help in the NewGRF programming camp.

• Locked thread