Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, tried to build a passenger route but got angry when I realized the Automate time table patch isn't in this build.

How do you do that, anyway? Set the train for Full Load, and the time table so that it leaves after a set time if there isn't a full load? I never really messed with it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The old version we used had an automate patch, so it would automate the trains so they were evenly spread out. If you had two trains, and two stations on a line, then they'd both be at opposing stations at the same time, and meet each other in the middle. You could just dump as many trains as you wanted onto the line, and they'd always arrive at regular intervals. You don't want to full load passengers, because their rates drop quickly as they wait longer.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
That seems like a really good thing to have, and probably would have prevented me from abandoning a bunch of previous maps :(

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

So on the current game on the server, I started a company yesterday, passworded it, left, came back today, and forgot the password :goleft:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I went back on the server, made a coal line, realized I made it too short, took out like 10 loans to make a longer one and now I'm in the red. Whoops.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kilonum posted:

So on the current game on the server, I started a company yesterday, passworded it, left, came back today, and forgot the password :goleft:

What's the company name, I'll remove it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

less than three posted:

What's the company name, I'll remove it.

Yellowstar

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kilonum posted:

Yellowstar

Cleared.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is there any way to make a line of one way block signals? I hate having to click on every single one to change it to one way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you Ctrl+click on a signal and drag in a direction it will auto fill signals at the interval determined in the signal window until it hits a junction. Is that what you mean?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

If you Ctrl+click on a signal and drag in a direction it will auto fill signals at the interval determined in the signal window until it hits a junction. Is that what you mean?
I've done that but I can't make it so I have a string of one way block signals, just two way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zeether posted:

I've done that but I can't make it so I have a string of one way block signals, just two way.

Click on one signal until it's the one-way you want, then ctrl-click on it and drag if I remember correctly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Get your signal to be whatever you want it to be, then click and drag. When you click on a signal and drag, it builds signals of the type you first clicked on, not of the type your signal tool would build.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
When auto buidling signals, remember to change the setting that controls the distance between each signal to the distance you want. It should be right-most in the signals toolbar. I think the default distance is a signal every 5 tiles, which is a quite a lot if you have a busy line.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Server has been reset.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

The old version we used had an automate patch, so it would automate the trains so they were evenly spread out. If you had two trains, and two stations on a line, then they'd both be at opposing stations at the same time, and meet each other in the middle. You could just dump as many trains as you wanted onto the line, and they'd always arrive at regular intervals. You don't want to full load passengers, because their rates drop quickly as they wait longer.

How did you set this up? There is a thing in the version I'm playing that looks like it does that, but I can't tell if it's working or not. It doesn't behave the way I expected it would, anyway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I believe there was just an Automate button in the schedule window.

Vanilla has an auto-fill button, which makes a schedule based on where the trains are when you click the button, but it doesn't keep the line balanced. Automate will keep the line balanced no matter how many trains you add.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Vanilla has a thing where if you have a train with a completely timetabled order, you can ctrl-click the start date and it implies that it spreads the timetable out among all the shared order trains, but I can't tell if it's working or not. I guess I need to dick around with it a bit more.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
So, looks like 4 days ago the server was reset. Does that mean people are still multiplayer train-ing? I've been feeling the need to do some online logistical planning.
I tried to join the server, but with the NewGRF pack in the OP I am getting GRF mismatches from Newships, Newstations, and Town Growth Challenge. OpenTTD can't find the right checksum online and it doesn't seem to like any of the versions of those newgrfs that I have tried to install.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Samolety posted:

So, looks like 4 days ago the server was reset. Does that mean people are still multiplayer train-ing? I've been feeling the need to do some online logistical planning.
I tried to join the server, but with the NewGRF pack in the OP I am getting GRF mismatches from Newships, Newstations, and Town Growth Challenge. OpenTTD can't find the right checksum online and it doesn't seem to like any of the versions of those newgrfs that I have tried to install.

Weird. Where did you extract the GRF pack to, a folder called /data ?

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Welp, I guess I'm stupid.
Just dropped it straight in the OpenTTD folder.

It works now, thanks.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Supersonic posted:

Here's a map I created and have been playing/constantly trying to improve upon for a long time now. Its a rough model of the Eastern US and has two train mainlines.

That's pretty neat. Is there a central hub where everything is shipped to and from individual cities? Or do you have city-level hubs with trains going directly to their destinations?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
The new map is nice. A smaller game is interesting once in a while.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I'd like to connect all these towns via rail, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Should I connect them via lines from each of the coastal/lake stations, or do something I haven't thought of?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Are you guys still playing multiplayer?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sam. posted:

Are you guys still playing multiplayer?

I restart the server when people poke me.

Borat
Apr 20, 2004
I can't see any thread on this game called "Train Fever".. the dev's say its a re-invention of Transport tycoon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0I36hV63-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvO4I9mIOaw&list=PLpylDbHLx3ccYO8E4mZ-T5j-XMRaHah1R

http://www.train-fever.com/

Looks very interesting...

Borat fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 23, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
No pre-signals and 4-way train junctions? Not nearly spergy enough to be like Transport Tycoon!

Also, it must be really annoying to build world-spanning railways with that building method...

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Entropist posted:

Also, it must be really annoying to build world-spanning railways with that building method...

Looks like the same method of construction that Tropico has. I need my grid alignment, dammit! :spergin:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Entropist posted:

No pre-signals and 4-way train junctions? Not nearly spergy enough to be like Transport Tycoon!
I have to agree. Building an overly complicated mess of tracks with bridges and tunnels and far too many trains running on them is the best thing about TT.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

No multiplayer either. The lack of signals was the first thing I noticed too.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Diet Crack posted:

No multiplayer either. The lack of signals was the first thing I noticed too.
They seem to have you covered:

Train Fever posted:

Signals are not shown in the video but will be demonstrated soon. Train Fever will support path signals which you may know from the OpenTTD project.

Given the obvious TT inspiration, they're probably well aware of the features fans expect. There's more details on the train features here and here.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah, from what I've seen it's basically a direct copy of TTD into another engine, which is fine by my books so long as they stay true to the rest of the mechanics. I don't mind the spline based tracks to be honest, I think it'll be a nice change if it's implemented properly. Needless to say if the reviews are favourable I'll pick this up.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen it's basically a direct copy of TTD into another engine, which is fine by my books so long as they stay true to the rest of the mechanics. I don't mind the spline based tracks to be honest, I think it'll be a nice change if it's implemented properly. Needless to say if the reviews are favourable I'll pick this up.

The kind of things they chose to focus on in that video is kind of promising - "look, we made it easy to expand this single track to double or triple" and such. Cautiously optimistic. :)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Trying to get on and getting version mismatch. Did the server move on the 1.4.1 or is this the server still on 1.4.0? Do I just need newstats.grf and nuts.grf?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

rotaryfun posted:

Trying to get on and getting version mismatch. Did the server move on the 1.4.1 or is this the server still on 1.4.0? Do I just need newstats.grf and nuts.grf?

I think it tells you, even which addons you're missing. Anyway I tried to join a week ago and I think it was 1.4.0.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I will update this week and try to stick to a weekly reset schedule.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Was able to get in! Thanks, didn't realize you could download the missing content right from the multiplayer screen.

Always amazes me to see some of these setups you guys have.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Can someone explain to me why this doesn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's been a drat long while since I've played and I know pathfinding is something that has been tweaked - but it seems like the way that is designed, the train is actually currently occupying the same signalled section it is trying to enter.

• Locked thread