Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

It's alright. I started my new game in 1836. I can't even build trains yet.

I'm playing SimBoat instead. :getin:

Oh snap I didn't even know there were sailing boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Michaellaneous posted:

I downloaded a couple things called 'FISH' and 'Sailing Ships'.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

There are grfs that add boats and road vehicles all the way back to the year 1700. Although I REALLY recommend starting later than that, since for about 150 years all you're going to have are the exact same sailboats and horse drawn carriages.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Fintilgin posted:

It's alright. I started my new game in 1836. I can't even build trains yet.

I'm playing SimBoat instead. :getin:

What GRF are sandbanks in, and what are their industrial uses?

e: VVVV Huh. I must be using an older version -- they're called Fishing Grounds and are basically just a fishing boat permanently at sea.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 1, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Neurion posted:

What GRF are sandbanks in, and what are their industrial uses?

FIRS industry replacement. Those on screen make fish, that you can ship to places like the Bangor Fish Market there to turn them into food. There is also a version that makes clay or sand or something.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I have the strangest urge to play this again.

These are some weird rear end newgrfs on the goon server here. :v:

E: so many types of vehicles and even tracks :psypop:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 8, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sardonik posted:

I have the strangest urge to play this again.

These are some weird rear end newgrfs on the goon server here. :v:

E: so many types of vehicles and even tracks :psypop:

The PURR rails allow all vehicle types on the same rail, so you can use Train/Monorail/Maglev on the same infrastructure. It's really expensive, so don't bother if you don't need it.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

What Grf is that?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

less than three posted:

The PURR rails allow all vehicle types on the same rail, so you can use Train/Monorail/Maglev on the same infrastructure. It's really expensive, so don't bother if you don't need it.

Ah, thank you, that does help explain. More choice is good.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

It had been a while since I was able to do something this crazy. This is the head of four different networks. The top one is the Oil/gold/diamonds supply. The next down is valuables out, across the entire map, the next, chemicals out, and below that, goods in. None of the networks share any lines. Perfect, scalable, no interruptions or gridlock possible beyond base supply fluctuations.

Also thank you for keeping station spread turned on :v:.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

idoliside posted:

What Grf is that?

NUTS unrealistic train set.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Have any of you guys played Train Fever and then come back to OpenTTD?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I haven't played Train Fever yet but from the thread it looks like I should stick with this until they patch it a bit...

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

less than three posted:

NUTS unrealistic train set.

That GRF is the single reason I don't play on your server. :(

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Have any of you guys played Train Fever and then come back to OpenTTD?

I have played it. Train Fever well, it's easier to make a profit with trucks than trains. It's got some interesting ideas but overall it needs work.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Is the goon server still up? I can't seem to find it on the server list

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cercadelmar posted:

Is the goon server still up? I can't seem to find it on the server list

You need to press the 'Add Server' button and add ttd.lessthanthree.dk:3979

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always loved the graphics of TDD, so quaint and British somehow.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Shibawanko posted:

I always loved the graphics of TDD, so quaint and British somehow.

The Locomotion graphics are quite nice as well plus you can rotate the map and it has underground rail. I wish there was an OpenLocomotion so bad.

Also, holy loving poo poo:

http://epicport.com/en/ttd

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bluecobra posted:

The Locomotion graphics are quite nice as well plus you can rotate the map and it has underground rail. I wish there was an OpenLocomotion so bad.

Also, holy loving poo poo:

http://epicport.com/en/ttd

I bought Locomotion on a whim when it was really cheap on GOG, but just couldn't get past how badly the resolution scaled on a 1080p screen. It was that that pushed me into finally playing OpenTTD. I wanted kind of a closed-ended transport tycoon game, but ended up playing the wide-open, what-the-hell-do-I-do-now version.

After all though, I have found OpenTTD pretty enjoyable.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

doctorfrog posted:

I bought Locomotion on a whim when it was really cheap on GOG, but just couldn't get past how badly the resolution scaled on a 1080p screen. It was that that pushed me into finally playing OpenTTD. I wanted kind of a closed-ended transport tycoon game, but ended up playing the wide-open, what-the-hell-do-I-do-now version.

After all though, I have found OpenTTD pretty enjoyable.
It helps if you use this windowed patch which also works on Locomotion, so it doesn't resize: http://www.gog.com/forum/rollercoaster_tycoon_series/hack_run_rct2_in_windowed_mode/page1

I would love if someone managed to integrate the more versatile track building into OpenTTD. Diagonal bridges. :allears:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Is there ever a reason to use trucks over rail? Or do you want to use trucks to supplement the rail system?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sometimes the route doesn't justify the expense of all the rail infrastructure, but it seems like usually, as industries grow, trucks become inadequate.

Sometimes I build 4 lane divided highways and fill them with trucks, for the hell of it. I also use one of the GRFs (Long vehicles maybe?) That has this super long cargo trams or cargo loaders, that I might use to move goods a short distance (get a bunch of mines to a single rail station, distribute some goods to a cluster of towns from a single rail depot, etc).

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
They can be handy if you're trying to connect something buried deep in a city with big mean local authorities, but that's about it.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
On the goon server I once saw a coal mine producing over 1000 tons a month. Is that unusual? I've kept mines going at 100% before and still havent seen any produce more than 300.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

idiotmeat posted:

On the goon server I once saw a coal mine producing over 1000 tons a month. Is that unusual? I've kept mines going at 100% before and still havent seen any produce more than 300.

Last I played, mines would scale the more demand you put on them. If you have loads of trains waiting for loads then the mine would expand to crazy levels of productivity. Or so it seemed, anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't suppose there's a mod or shader out there that adds depth-blur or like a tilt-shift effect? I'd love to play this game and make it look like it was a real model train set.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

idiotmeat posted:

It isn't uncommon to have coal mines producing well above 1000 tons after a number of years of high % transported. Production can go up or down each month based on the rules described here: https://wiki.openttd.org/Game_mechanics#Production_change I have done this on vanilla OpenTTD games just running on my computer as well as on the goon server.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zombie #246 posted:

Is there ever a reason to use trucks over rail? Or do you want to use trucks to supplement the rail system?

Sometimes you can use trucks to distribute goods to a bunch of little towns from a central rail hub. Mostly though they're just good for keeping the service rate up at a station so they'll stock more goods for your trains to pick up, since even if trucks don't actually move that much stuff, the fact that they make frequent pickups looks good to the AI.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
On games where you can't fund raw resource industries, trucks are good for moving raw materials from low production industries to a central train station for consolidated long distance transport.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Trucks are good LOCAL delivery, if (and only if) you have cargo destinations turned on. Only house tiles that are directly in the zone of the station will normally be covered, but you can extend your coverage by having a shuttle service from the train station to the town center. I usually end up with a LOT of town traffic this way, what with goods trucks, mail trucks, and passenger buses.

I only ever do town-to-town road traffic if the towns are so close together as to practically be the same town. Which happens more often than you' think. Also, if various terrain makes it impractical to get a train to a certain destination, I'll hook it up via truck/bus.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Hmm, this might be a stretch considering the thread seems inactive, but maybe someone can help me out. I'm just playing a solo game since I find OpenTTD a good, therapeutic time sink, but I've never been all that great at designing good junctions or station layouts. I want to turn this station into a RoRo because trains leaving the depots constantly create traffic jams.

The lines coming from the north and west are supplying wheat and livestock, the line heading east is taking the processed food to a town, and the small feeder line going through Waypoint Fetchester is for a valuables train which is just sharing the tracks.

Any pointers? The two southernmost tracks never really run into problems because they're only used by a couple of trains, but the four other tracks have to be unjammed every couple of months because I have many trains and they have to come out the same way they came in. Money is no object at this point in the game so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
My signalling was :effort: but hopefully this gets you on the right track. (No pun intended.)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Casualty posted:

Hmm, this might be a stretch considering the thread seems inactive, but maybe someone can help me out. I'm just playing a solo game since I find OpenTTD a good, therapeutic time sink, but I've never been all that great at designing good junctions or station layouts. I want to turn this station into a RoRo because trains leaving the depots constantly create traffic jams.

The lines coming from the north and west are supplying wheat and livestock, the line heading east is taking the processed food to a town, and the small feeder line going through Waypoint Fetchester is for a valuables train which is just sharing the tracks.

Any pointers? The two southernmost tracks never really run into problems because they're only used by a couple of trains, but the four other tracks have to be unjammed every couple of months because I have many trains and they have to come out the same way they came in. Money is no object at this point in the game so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

I'd convert the northern line from what looks like a single track w/ right of ways to dedicated double tracks, and probably do the same with the western line as well. Have trains leave at the opposite end of the station and drain back out to the west-bound and north-bound lines.

Usually when I have terminus stations I want to be sort of compact RoRo, I use a design similar to this, from the OpenTTD manual wiki:

I'd have my wheat/livestock coming in to the station and then have a separate east-facing section of the station for the outgoing food, unconnected to the inbound rail. I usually have no more than 6 bays for the incoming and 4 for the outgoing.

Edit: less than three's is more elegant and looks nicer, though.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Hmm, the positioning is a little awkward because your trains seem to be on the right side of the tracks. I'm afraid any branching is going to be a bit inelegant.

The first thing I suggest is detaching your Waypoint Fletchester track to make a sort of trunk line, which can service west farm's produce, the factory's food and the valuables. (I also just like trunk lines because they make expansion really easy.) It also means that Waypoint Fletchester is no longer necessary.

I notice that Pledingway means that simply looping back around the factory is a little impractical, but your north farm line appears to be a single track anyway, so it's not a huge deal. Instead, I suggest making a one-way loop with the northbound trains going around Pledingway from the eastern side, and rejoining the track further north. As with Fletchester, the Pledingway Waypoints shouldn't be necessary, but you might prefer to have them just for clarity's sake.

The tunnels underneath waypoint Pledingway are perhaps dispensable as well, but I had to have the food trains enter the trunk after the farm trains had left it, otherwise there can be risks of jams.

(I didn't bother with signals because I didn't know how long all your trains were, but there's nothing special going on that I'd need to show so :effort:.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sardonik posted:

It had been a while since I was able to do something this crazy. This is the head of four different networks. The top one is the Oil/gold/diamonds supply. The next down is valuables out, across the entire map, the next, chemicals out, and below that, goods in. None of the networks share any lines. Perfect, scalable, no interruptions or gridlock possible beyond base supply fluctuations.

Also thank you for keeping station spread turned on :v:.

What have you guys wrought? I can barely make a working rail-line as it is!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I really wasn't expecting quick replies, so thank you all! Here's what I ended up doing before I saw any of the new posts:

Kind of a quick and dirty modification of my old route. As you can see, I made a sort of fork in the exit path so that the trains coming in from the north have a way to turn around, while allowing the much heavier traffic from the west to use all four available platforms and still turn around by turning south. The southern path is not a true trunk route yet, but that's my next plan. It works for now. I've already seen a big jump in my ratings, from Very Poor to Good, and rising, within a couple of months. And not a single stuck train so far :) Of course, the real challenge now is to see if I can add any more trains, but that will require the dedicated trunk line, I think.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Neurion posted:

I'd convert the northern line from what looks like a single track w/ right of ways to dedicated double tracks, and probably do the same with the western line as well. Have trains leave at the opposite end of the station and drain back out to the west-bound and north-bound lines.

Usually when I have terminus stations I want to be sort of compact RoRo, I use a design similar to this, from the OpenTTD manual wiki:

I'd have my wheat/livestock coming in to the station and then have a separate east-facing section of the station for the outgoing food, unconnected to the inbound rail. I usually have no more than 6 bays for the incoming and 4 for the outgoing.

Edit: less than three's is more elegant and looks nicer, though.

You're right that <3's RoRo is more elegant/nicer, but yours is better at covering city catchment if the station needs to butt up against city blocks and you don't have the space to align that RoRo in a perpendicular fashion.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Now that the OpenTTD 1.5 beta is out, any chance we can restart the server with the latest version? I think it'll be interesting to try out the latest features with other SA members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sincx posted:

Now that the OpenTTD 1.5 beta is out, any chance we can restart the server with the latest version? I think it'll be interesting to try out the latest features with other SA members.

Sure. I'll do it some time today.

• Locked thread